Short's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale Ale | Short's Brewing Company

Short's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale AleShort's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale Ale

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Named after the hop flower Humulus Lupulus, this India Pale Ale style beer has enormous amounts of hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. With a very complex malt bill, flavors seem to meld with the hops to balance this ale and provide a ridiculous urge to sample more.

Added by arizcards on 06-13-2004

Ratings: 2,219 |  Reviews: 722
3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

Thanks to Thorpe for this one.

A: The beer pours a hazed golden amber color with a finger or so of white head.

S: The hop character is very grassy and herbal, perhaps even slightly vegetal. There is a touch of citrus zest to it and a decent amount of sweet bready malt.

T: Decently bitter with a lot of herbal and piney hop flavors. Somewhat sweet with flavors of toffee and bread. A touch of grassy hop flavor with a lingering bitterness on the finish.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O: A little bit too bitter without the hop flavors that I generally like in IPAs.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

4.72/5  rDev +17.4%

We recently began getting distro of Short's B.C. beers here in south-central PA & I am pretty excited about it! I have known those guys for years, between BA fests in BOS & my (usually) annual excursion to Madison, WI for the GTMW. I don't care if they are in bottles since I never expected them to come to me!

From the bottle: "A complex malt and hop theme park in your mouth"[.]"; "Handmade by people who care. (tm)"

This is my sixth bottle of theirs and I am really enjoying Pop!ping the caps! I have a local artist who makes all sorts of things out of spent caps & so I am putting the Short's caps aside especially for a clear resin coaster. In the interim, I employed a heavy-handed pour, creating three fingers of dense, rocky, French Vanilla-colored head with great retention. I watched in awe as it slid downwards, leaving heavy, sticky lacing in its wake. Color was Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7), which led to a visit from the Gelt Gang of Midas, Croesus & Mammon, all vying for a taste. Nose was deeply citrusy with loads of grapefruit notes, making my mouth water & reminding me that I am a self-described/avowed hophead. The monkey on my back does not screech & howl like he used to, but he is still there, giving me the occasional jones, like right now! Mouthfeel was medium. The theme park is now open! Malt?!? Yeah, if you say so! Man, this was like a hot shot of hops, mainlined & presented for my drinking pleasure! It is said that the critical mistake that many lapsed junkies make is returning to the same dosage at which they left off, usually leading to a fatal O.D. Not me, man! This perked me right up in ways that morning coffee can only dream. It was definitely hoppy with a grapefruit-citrus bitterness and a whole-flower freshness that is unbeatable! I listened as a server told a customer that she is not into this beer for all of the reasons that I just outlined. I simply smiled a sweet smile & promptly ordered one for myself. I have to say, between this one & Soft Parade, these were the causes of my excitement! The others are gravy on the biscuits, but those two drive the train. Finish was dry, bitter, flowery and everything that I want in an AIPA. Q: At what point WRT ABV does it become a DIPA? Curiosity is all.

4.09/5  rDev +1.7%

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

3.24/5  rDev -19.4%

Thanks to afdempse for the bottle.

A: pours a slightly murky orange with a two inch very sticky head and nice lacing

S: hops, alcohol (in a single IPA - hmm...) and something strange (soap?) I'm struggling to identify. I keep smelling this brew looking for the citrus and floral aromas one would expect, but I can not detect them.

T: I'm missing the malt/hop balance here. This beer is confusing my palate, but not due to complexity, which is unfortunately lacking.

M: There's a very slight harsh bitterness with every sip.

D: Bitterness in the aftertaste. This 6.6% ABV feels like more. I'm ready to move on to a different beer.

Notes: It's really hard for me to get past the harsh bitterness, when this is only a single IPA. I know Short's is a great brewery, but this beer just isn't my bag, baby.

4.02/5  rDev 0%

Received in trade from jbck109 thanks for the opportunity!
Pours a deep golden/copper color with a finely bubbled white head that dissipates quickly to only a ring around the top of the glass. Smells like hops, yeah really. Grapefruit and sour orange are prevalent in the aroma backed up by fleeting hints of biscuit and caramel. Taste is resinous, citrus, with some biscuit malt found deep underneath. Every sip I take adds to the resinous and citrus onslaught besieging my palette. Resinous mouthfeel, medium to full body, light level of carbonation. This is definitely a beer to help get your hop fix on. I enjoyed this although at times I did feel it bracingly bitter.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

12oz bottle care of timmi

An IPA named after hops themselves and text appears on the label that reads: "A complex malt and hop theme park in your mouth." Well, they certainly are setting the stage for big expectations.

Poured into a standard pint glass, it appears a clear orange color with a finger and a half of barely yellowish stained fluffy head. Decent retension and lacing appears all about the glass as the head fades. Aroma is a nice blend of malt sweetness that compliments the hops which are presented smelling floral, citrusy and slightly piney. Flavor of this beer does not disappoint. It has enough bitterness to push the IBU upper limit expected of an IPA but is not all bitterness, lots of flavors shine through from the hops. Medium feel with a moderate touch of carbonation. As it warms, some of the alcohol becomes more pronounced. The finish of this beer is somewhat oily with residual bitterness and malty sweetness left on the tongue.

Very well balanced IPA overall. I don't really have any complaints. There is an ambiguous number code on the bottle which does not inform me how fresh or old this IPA is. Regardless, it was very enjoyable. Nicely done.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

My neighbor brought this to my moving party. It poured a clear copper with white head that is leaving a lace. The scent is bitter hop. The taste is English leaning...very bitter through. The Mouthfeel was fuller in body with good carbonation. Overall it's a good beer and worth a try.

4.21/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Aroma is earthy, floral, and piney. Taste follows, with some citrus notes in there as well. Pretty malty for an ipa bordering on imperial but still a nice hop bite.

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

I've been trying a lot of "okay" beers lately, so I'm pulling out the huma in the hopes I'll get something powerful. Plus I want to see how it is compared to the draft I had.

Decent. Still has some strong hop tones, but the subtle hop characteristics seem to have departed us. Seems to lean more towards a one dimensional ride. I mean, in all fairness, the pint I had on-tap was so fresh it had probably been kegged a week or even a few days prior. I mean, how can you beat that.

Short's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale Ale from Short's Brewing Company