Nicie | Short's Brewing Company

good
good
Read the review
NicieNicie

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Availability: Summer

Nicie is an American Wheat Ale brewed with orange zest, lemon zest, coriander, and a hint of peppercorn. Orange-gold in color and light in body, Nicie is infused with the scents and flavors of fresh citrus. The subtle taste of coriander and spice of peppercorn makes this ale both refreshing and complex. Nicie is the perfect accompaniment to a summer day.

Added by Mitchster on 06-14-2004

3.4/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%

Reviewed from notes made on 10/24/10.

A: Pours a fairly clear gold with a slight amber hue into a medium sized snifter. An off-white half finger head burns off to leave a swirly film on top. Tiny carbonation bubbles move quickly from bottom to top of the glass. The lacing is a bit dull with long thick curves and big dots.

S: Nicie is heavy on the peppercorn with a healthy odes of the orange and lemon zest in my nose. I detect a little wheat and a bit of a bread backbone.

T: The citrus zest flavors steal the limelight with the peppercorn and coriander bleding into the citrus taste. The wheat beer base is present in the taste profile, but it definitely takes a backseat to the adjuncts. The taste is also pretty watery.

M: The mouthfeel is a bit thin. The body of the beer feels very light, and the peppercorn sparkles a little on my palate, but it really doesn't pop as much as I thought it might.

D: Is Nicie easy to drink? Yes. But it interesting enough to explore more? For my tastes, probably not.

3.37/5  rDev -7.9%

Big thanks to amphion1065 for this insanely interesting brew.

Pours a clear gold with a billowing 3 finger white head that fills my Great Divide tulip perfectly. Head fades rather quickly and leaves some fair lacing on the glass.

This beer has by far the strangest (but inviting) smell I've ever experienced. Smells like chunks of peppercorn being mashed up in some orange juice and flower pedals. It's hard to get passed the peppercorns at first, but so much is hidden behind it.

Ok, maybe this style isn't for me. I had a really hard time getting passed the peppercorn in the taste. A very earthy taste with some slight citrus, but it's overwhelmed with the peppercorn punch.

Mouthfeel is oddly creamy. I think this would be way better if served extremely cold. It would make it much more drinkable and somewhat refreshing. Maybe mellow out the peppercorn spice. I poured this at about 55 degrees.

Overall, it's not my thing. I still love Short's for trying it. Such an interesting brew and one of those things you just have to try.

3.34/5  rDev -8.7%

Bottle courtesy of mikesgroove, thanks again!

Pours a bright gold color, a little haze, and a very faint head that quickly vanished. Not the prettiest looking beer.

Aromas are of citrus, lemon, oranges, limes, and mixed spices.

Taste is pretty mellow. Light creamy malts, some spices, lemon zest, and some tartness. Finish is dry with light grapefruit hops.

Mouthfeel is ok, but thin on the finish.

Drinkability is pretty good. This is a refreshing beer, and would be pretty nice in the summer. I've enjoyed the Shorts beers I've tried so far except this one. I expected more flavor, this turned out to be kind of blah, with quite a few flaws. Not a bad beer, but not all that great either.

3.34/5  rDev -8.7%

Honestly smelled like a combination of urine and apples to me. But the taste is pretty solid.

3.33/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Nicie pours a slightly cloudy golden color and has a bright white head. Unfortunately the head is pretty meager, along with the carbonation, but it does leave pretty decent lace.

The aroma is decidedly spice cabinet-esc. Black and white pepper are the main components. I am also picking up on another something something, but cannot discern exactly what it is. If I close my eyes and concentrate deeply I can smell some tart wheat in there.

The flavor is a bit more distinct than the aroma. Tart wheat malt blends with black and white peppercorns, coriander and some zesty citrus flavors. This beer has a very nice sweetness to it that does a good job of balancing both the tartness from the wheat and also the crazy amount of pepper. I had this on tap once and thought it was okay, but it seems a bit more toned down in the bottle and I am actually finding it quite enjoyable. I really wish I had some popcorn right now. Damn it!

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium with a subdued carbonation. I am glad it is not overly carbonated, because I think that would make the pepper seem even more out of control.

Nicie Spicie is a beer that is very polarizing, and I am wrestling with the drinkability score. This is a beer that, for me at least, is good on certain occasions but not all the time, and even when it is good I am not sure I could have more than one or two. That being said, it is a very creative brew from a very creative brewer.

3.33/5  rDev -9%

3.31/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a super clear golden hue with very little head. Nice spicy aroma that fills the nose. Really spicy and wheaty smell. Very interesting in the taste department. A little overly peppery I'd say, it kind of takes over the whole beer. A fair bit of sweetness and citrus, but only mildly noticeable with the pepper. Very thin and disappears pretty fast. Very interesting, but overall not the best.

Light, Coriander, Peppery, Astringent

Straw colored with thin lace and a touch of haze, this beer introduces itself with coriander, pepper, lots of citrusy zest in the nose and some dankness. Light, crisp and creamy with a seltzer water edge. Dry, crackery malt with a hint of nuttiness arrives next. The coriander is soft and herbal, but eventually it's overtaken by a growing spiciness and some perceived heat from the peppercorns. This American Pale Wheat finishes astringent and husky. Flavor-wise, the coriander in Nicie struggles. I'd drop it, add some body and up the zest.

As reviewed in BeerAdvocate magazine #114 (July 2016).

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

A- Pours a bright orange with a cap of white head about a finger tall. Head dies down pretty quickly. Result: no lacing. This could be partly due to the weather also.

S- Quite a bit of citrus and lemon. Everything shows up that they advertise on it including the pepper and coriander. It hasa bit of a funk to it though, it might be from the coriander.

T- Pretty similar to the aroma, but I'm just not real turned on by the different flavors. I'm thinking it's the coriander that I'm not enjoying.

M- Light/medium body with good doses of carbonation.

D- The taste and smell didn't really do it for me. This isn't a horrible beer by any means, and I think they accomplished what they wanted to, but it doesn't really work for me. I wouldn't buy this again.

Nicie from Short's Brewing Company