Nicie | Short's Brewing Company

good
good
Read the review
NicieNicie

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Availability: Summer

Nicie is an American Wheat Ale brewed with orange zest, lemon zest, coriander, and a hint of peppercorn. Orange-gold in color and light in body, Nicie is infused with the scents and flavors of fresh citrus. The subtle taste of coriander and spice of peppercorn makes this ale both refreshing and complex. Nicie is the perfect accompaniment to a summer day.

Added by Mitchster on 06-14-2004

2.74/5  rDev -25.1%

Thanks again to Thorpe for this one.

A: The beer pours a light golden color with a thin white head.

S: A wonderful cleaning fluid aroma. Intense lemon and orange peel, maybe a bit of perfume. The pepper corn aroma is quite intense, too. Not very much coriander aroma.

T: As with the aroma, intense lemon peel aroma with the orange more in the background. As with the aroma, there is quite a bit of peppercorn character and very little coriander. Sort of watery.

M: Light bodied with low to medium carbonation.

O: Just too much cleaning solution.

3.89/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

When it was announced that Short's Brewing was going to be getting distro into PA, my heart went pitty-pat! I have known these guys since the early part of the century when they were coming to the BeerAdvocate fests at the Cyclorama. I have embroidered cloth patches from them & sport them proudly on my vests & jackets. We did not get everything from them, initially, but as time has passed, so has the depth and breadth of what they are sending us increased. Accordingly, I am trying to keep up with their releases.

From the bottle: "American Wheat Ale with orange zest, lemon zest, coriander and peppercorns"; "a gentle mixture of elegance and redolence for any occasion".

Just "Nicie" now, eh? I believe that when it was originally released, it was called "Nicie Spicie". The inclusion of peppercorns is especially interesting, since I believe that it all originated with The Brewer's Art, a story for another time.

I Pop!ped the cap, but having read of others' mention of a slight haze, I went with a gentle pour. Once I had a sufficient amount in the glass, a vigorous swirl raised nearly three fingers of foamy, soapy, bone-white head that quickly reduced to wisps. I registered the color as Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4), although it could have been as high as Gold (5), but there was no interest from The Gelt Gang who were watching the NHL Network's All-Star coverage from the couch in my living room. I produced 24-carat clarity from my pour, so I am sticking with my perception. Nose had a spicy citrusiness, but I am sure that I could not have parsed all of the individual components on my own. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, not watery, but not much beyond it, either. I think that after my foray into yesterday's peppercorn Tripel, I am much more sensitive to the flavor that it impart. That said, I also registered a definite citrusiness, although I got orange more strongly than lemon. Finish was spicy and dry, which is to be expected when adding spices to beer. Its refreshing nature makes it a real summer beer and I just wish that they would follow others' lead and begin CANning. This would be great on a hot, humid summer's day doing something outdoors.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

On draft at Churchkey in D.C.

The beer is yellowish with a thin head that leaves sparse lacing.

The aroma brings a bouquet of spices and floral hops.

The flavor is quite complex, with notes of herbs, tea, flowers, citrus, and more, though these attributes are dominated by peppercorns. There is a decent amount of sweetness, and I can see that a small serving will be more than enough.

The finish is dry, with lingering floral and citrus notes.

This beer is an oddity for sure, but I kinda like it (in small doses). I'd try it again.

3.89/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Picked the Nicie up off the Binnys single shelf. It poured a clear golden with white head that is not leaving any lace. The scent had lemon hints with touch of spice. The taste had a floral combination of citrus and coriander then finished with a nice warmth. The Mouthfeel was lighter in body with good carbonation. Overall it's a decent beer.

3.22/5  rDev -12%

The nose had me very worried on this one as it was so much orange zest. Thankfully, it did settle down a bit. Unfortunately, it settled down to an orange tang thing, The flavor is a wad of crap and spices. At least that was my first impression. Then it seems like it starts to work. Then it seems like an obnoxious contrast. I'm ready to move on here.

3.86/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed on tap and in bottles in Ann Arbor, MI.

Pours lightly clouded near golden. Delicate and departing off white head, leaving moderate bits of lace.

Lemon and pepper on the nose.

Coriander, more lemons and bright pepper on the palate. The spice is pronounced and biting on the back end. Crisp and flavorful, tastes like a peppery saison. Like likely would go great with the right cheese, crackers and spicy salad. I like this style brew and this one was quite enjoyable and surly worth a try.

4.27/5  rDev +16.7%

Nicie Spicie, released from it's growler, pours a lovely ginger hue, active carbonation rushing up, to greet a thinnish white head.
Aroma is warm spice, ginger, cinnamon, and coriander, a whisper of pepper, but dominated by orange zest. Very pleasing to this nose, a gentle mix of fruit and spice.
Zing, goes the tongue, on meeting this brew, a burst of tidy spices entangle the buds, sweet citric fruitiness blends in next, and all is settled well.
Flavor never wanes, and in fact, gets juicier and plumper further in, tastes of apricot and peach shining through, with the pepper laying out new levels of spiciness, without getting hot and spoiling the feeling.
Nearing the end of my first glass, I feel the peppery heat more and it dominate the palate in ways I'd never imagined when first sipping this serving.
This carries over in the finish, where previous I felt it was mildly possessed by pepper, it now almost carries a sting, and has claimed a long stake on the senses.
(We must pour a new pint to be sure..)
On this pour, the head is larger and takes longer to shift in size...I'll bring it up 1/2 a point for that...
This time, the nose takes pepper in largest, mixed well with lemon & orange...yeah, that's a hot tamale!
Soaking the brew on my tongue again, it only feels hotter, and commands control of the mouth. Tempered well by the fruit, matched with the malt, this hot, spicy quality sits at attention and barks, but doesn't bite. It slings a powerful heat, yet holds it back in abeyance, making a very palatable, tasty brew.
Long, hot finish, medium body, unique and memorable. I've yet to encounter a beer quite like this, and congrats to Short's for coming up with something so bold, yet easily drinkable! (I've had a few that go the other way, making even one pint a chore.)

3.59/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a slightly hazy, golden color. 1/5 inch head of a white color. Slight retention and slight lacing. Smells of black pepper, slight yeast, slight sweet malt, and a hint of hop. The pepper dominates. Fits the style of a Herbed / Spiced beer. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp with an average carbonation level. There is also a noticeable dryness. Tastes of pepper, slight yeast, slight sweet malt, and hint of hops. Overall, the pepper dominates all other flavors, but I've never had a pepper flavored beer before. Interesting, but I don't know if I could drink very many.

3.48/5  rDev -4.9%

Beer is yellow and mostly clear with a thin haloed head on it that leaves some lacing on the glass.

Aroma is like a strong herbal tea with jasmine and other spices. Kind of smell like a bouquet of flowers too.

Here we go, beer is thin and very spicy, peppery, lots of floral flavors and a dry finish. This is a very strong gruit ale. Interesting, but I couldn't drink much of it.

3.15/5  rDev -13.9%

Glad to see this one in Denver, I have always wanted to try it.

Pours a dull, slightly hazy orange/yellow/gold color. Head is about 1 finger, white with medium size bubbles. Slick, almost no lacing.

Spiced aroma, but more so from the zests of orange and lemon. The peppercorn is well hidden. Floral. Soft bread is underneath.

Orange zest is prominent here. Lemon is next. There's a bit of rind in there, like they cut too deep in the orange skin and got the white part. Kind of like tannin without the pucker. Peppercorn is absent, too bad. I would like to see more carbonation to lift up the zests, because they seem syrupy to me on the end. I think that would have helped big time imho.

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle dated 06/27/12 poured in to Founders tulip.

A - Slightly hazy pale yellow colour with a golden glow around the edges. A small layer of white head formed and quickly receded to a ring around the glass.

S - Big lemon zest aroma up front, followed by black pepper. Belgian yeast is also present along with lighter orange zest and clove aromas.

T - Lemon zest and peppercorns are dominant at first with lighter Belgian yeast notes present. The orange zest is detectable as well, but is somewhat overpowered by the lemon. Not specifically detecting the coriander, but there is a big spice presence from the peppercorns that it likely plays in to. Very good balance of citrus and spice.

M - Light to medium body with a slight chew. Moderate carbonation.

3.06/5  rDev -16.4%

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Nicie Spicie could easily be mistaken for honey; it has a naturally clouded, sticky-looking complexion and shimmering, deep golden hue. It's so completely flat that even a microscope couldn't turn up a visible sign of carbonation (though admittedly I haven't actually tried this).

Ahtanum and Cascade are two of the most logical hop varieties for a brew like this; they each are characteristically floral and leafy with candied orange notes, a great compliment to the beer's already zestful and citrusy aromatics. There's also a pinch of heat. Smells as anticipated.

The taste, however, doesn't exactly brim with orange and lemon zest, coriander, or peppercorns. It's more malt driven than I expected, which is not necessarily a good or bad thing - on the one hand it lends substantial body to a style that typically sorrowfully lacks it, but on the other, it tones down the spice and seasoning supposed to characterized the recipe.

While it has weight, it lacks bubbles. Pale wheat ales are often designed with hot weather quaffing in mind - and given the additional ingredients that went into this it must have been conceived for such drinking - and the lack of carbonation really hinders its quenching powers.

Nicie Spicie is a nice little beer, but it has the potential to be better. While it's likely an ideal choice for those summer long weekends on the lakes of northern Michigan, I can't think of another scenario where I'd reach for this beer (especially not if there's other Short's offerings on the shelf). To reiterate: not bad, but certainly not this brewery's best.

3.56/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.4/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nicie from Short's Brewing Company