Nicie | Short's Brewing Company

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Availability: Summer

Nicie is an American Wheat Ale brewed with orange zest, lemon zest, coriander, and a hint of peppercorn. Orange-gold in color and light in body, Nicie is infused with the scents and flavors of fresh citrus. The subtle taste of coriander and spice of peppercorn makes this ale both refreshing and complex. Nicie is the perfect accompaniment to a summer day.

Added by Mitchster on 06-14-2004

3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass to a hazy gold colour with a thinnish white head.

Smells of orange peel/zest, other hints of citrus and some peppercorn, corriander and a pinch of other 'unidentifiable' herbs!

Flavour wise a sour orange and to a lesser extent lemon dominates the mouth allied to background flavours of wheat and moderate spice. Also get the peppercorns again particularly in the finish however there was also a background 'sweetness' to the beer which I don't think overly helped the balance of flavours!

Mouthfeel was light to medium in body, perhaps a little too thin and watery?

Overall not impressed. Not a particularly well balanced beer and a little thin.

Slightly 'spicie' but not so 'nicie' - they must have set themselves up for a review along those lines and I'm sure I'm not the first to quote that and I won't be the last!

Would not seek out this beer in any way shape or form in the future. I would imagine the only likelihood of me drinking again would be on a hot summers day as I guess it has 'refreshment' potential in such conditions, but someone would have to give me a bottle!

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.37/5  rDev -6.4%

Big thanks to amphion1065 for this insanely interesting brew.

Pours a clear gold with a billowing 3 finger white head that fills my Great Divide tulip perfectly. Head fades rather quickly and leaves some fair lacing on the glass.

This beer has by far the strangest (but inviting) smell I've ever experienced. Smells like chunks of peppercorn being mashed up in some orange juice and flower pedals. It's hard to get passed the peppercorns at first, but so much is hidden behind it.

Ok, maybe this style isn't for me. I had a really hard time getting passed the peppercorn in the taste. A very earthy taste with some slight citrus, but it's overwhelmed with the peppercorn punch.

Mouthfeel is oddly creamy. I think this would be way better if served extremely cold. It would make it much more drinkable and somewhat refreshing. Maybe mellow out the peppercorn spice. I poured this at about 55 degrees.

Overall, it's not my thing. I still love Short's for trying it. Such an interesting brew and one of those things you just have to try.

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

A - pours a cloudy, medium dark straw with a finger of white head. Head dissipates quickly.

S - at first, loaded with citrus. As the minutes pass the citrus faded significantly leaving massive amounts of peppercorns.

T - just as in the nose, lots of citrus initially that changes over to lots of pepper that leaces a drying effect on the tongue and palate.

M - light. Appears lighter because of the drying affect of the pepper.

D - this is tough, it goes down easy but the pepper keeps me from wanting to have another right after.

Overall, not a bad beer, and I love the pepper, but it might be just too much if you were looking to drink a few of these. But again, its what makes this different than the normal wit, plus its memorable. Worth a shot if you have a chanc to try it.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

3.52/5  rDev -2.2%

Review based on notes of 8/4/10 drink

I can't specifically place any of the spices in this one. There are some unusual flavors and spices, but nothing I'd call overly good. Very little foam and quite an empty mouthfeel. Lots of other beers would make me pass this one by for a casual drink.

4.09/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a hazy orange color with a small head and minimal lacing. The smell is dominated by the pepercorns, followed by citrusy flavors. The taste begins with the spicy pepercorns and is followed by ginger and a nice spicy burn. The mouthfeel has a medium body. This beer is easy to quaff and the pepercorn is done just right. Short's also uses pepercorns in their anniversary ale which makes for a interesting and spicy brew in both cases.

4.62/5  rDev +28.3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into wine glass.

Pours golden orange with thin white head that fades quickly. Translucent.

Smells of grass, citrus, spice in general.

Awesome complex taste. Mild pepper up front and then I keep getting a taste that reminds me of chamomile tea in the middle which really balances the pepper. Then a long warm pepper burst at the end. Very unique and very very good.

Smooth dry with warming elements from the pepper.

Excellent beer all around. Reminds me of a saison but with more pepperiness. Will be requesting my local store to stock some.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

A cloudy straw yellow with a faint almost nonexistent head. A thin creamy layer of sediment lays across the bottom of the bottle. The sent is very citrus backed by hop tang. The coriander comes out in the taste, which is very palatable and clean for all the spice and citrus flavors. As all the other Short's I have tried this has such a clean feel. Cheers!

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

3.41/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks really weird. Bright yellow/gold color, almost no head at all, pleasing but disturbing to look at somehow. Swirling it doesn't make any more foam appear, just causes a strange coating on the glass that looks almost lumpy. Cloudy. The color is appealing though.

Smell isn't very special, a little lemony, crisp, vaguely like a Tripel but more tart. ????

Taste: once again, WEIRD... but not necessarily in a bad way. Lots of citrus fruits, some wheat, and BIG peppercorns and spice. The reviews I looked at mentioned the pepper and said it was too much, but I didn't believe them. I was wrong. This is basically a black pepper beer. Then again, I've never had anything like it, and the fruit/wheat taste balanced the pepper nicely. On the fade there's some salt too but it's not strong.

On the mouth feel it's thin, crisp, a little under-carbonated but that may have just been my bottle, and feels like a "session" type beer. I can tell they were going for a light and zesty feel with this one.

Overall this is one you really have to try to see if you like it. I'm still torn. The beer itself is light but the flavor is so bizarre that I'm having trouble doing more than sip it. And yet, at the same time I can't say that I don't like it. I think this is the type of thing that requires the right kind of food pairing to fully enjoy. Once again Short's has done something totally strange.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured into a snifter.

Golden, slightly pale in color.  Bright white half finger head which settles to a foamy film.  Decent lacing.

Lots of oranges and orange zest, tangerines, and a light lemon note.  Peppercorn spice.  Strong grassy, hay, wheat background.  Smells refreshing.

Taste is bigger than expected.  Huge on the orange zest and lemongrass.  Well balanced with the peppercorns.  Hay and wheat.  Other spices (coriander? I'm not sure what coriander tastes like).  It finishes with a lingering prickly heat from the peppercorn.

Mouthfeel is very light, almost watery.  Very easy drinking.

Overall this was a surprisingly light, yet refreshing, beer.  I'd love a 6 pack of this!

Nicie from Short's Brewing Company