Short's Soft Parade | Short's Brewing Company

Short's Soft ParadeShort's Soft Parade

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Soft Parade is a Fruit Rye Ale brewed with rye flakes and loaded with pureed strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. The rose colored ale has aromas of ripe strawberries and grain. With flavors of fresh berries and rye, Soft Parade finishes dry and eminently drinkable.

Soft Parade was originally developed because Joe Short wanted to create a beer that incorporated a medley of berries, had a great color, and appealed to wine drinkers. The name Soft Parade stemmed from two moments in Joe Short’s life. First, because Joe worked as a brewer at the Traverse Brewing Company and The Doors album, The Soft Parade, played every day at the end of the brew shift. The second moment occurred when Joe was driving by himself, flipping through CD’s in his car, and came across The Soft Parade album again. At the time, The Soft Parade beer had not been named and it dawned on Joe that the medley of fruit infusing into the golden beer reminded him of a soft parade. That day the beer was named!

Added by fantome on 06-18-2004

Ratings: 1,184 |  Reviews: 351

1.07/5  rDev -70.7%

In no way you could call this beer, the closet thing to that is a product that was put out by Oliver wine in Indiana. That product was never labeled a beer, but a wine. If you are a fan of a very dry wine you might like this, but I did not. I thought it might at least a little sweet, nope.

1.1/5  rDev -69.9%

1.25/5  rDev -65.8%

1.43/5  rDev -60.8%

Got this a long time ago, I forget from whom, but thank you trading partner!

Started off promisingly, pours with a rich, luxurious 4+ finger head. Served chilled and early aromas are mixed fruit. Hazy a cloudy straw in appearance. Great lacing.

That said... after this warmed up, just slightly, the solvent notes started to sneak out. Before long, it was somewhere between paint thinner and gasoline. This was literally impossible to take a smell of. I bravely took a few sips anyway (well, more than a few, as my first couple it was still too cold to get much out of it, but those weren't "brave"). What was underlying was not quite as noxious as the fumes emanating off of this. But they weren't great, either.

I've had this in my fridge basically since the day I got it, so whatever happened happened before it got to me. But this beer was literally undrinkable. I've had very few drain pours in my life, this was unequivocally one of them.

1.45/5  rDev -60.3%

schro126 was kind enough to throw this in as an extra. Thanks, man! Unfortunately, it was pretty disgusting.

Mildly murky and hazy strawberry pink with a pinkish white head with good retention and a little lace, this is OK

God, this is putrid. Vegetal and fruity with a harsh and rubbery solvent character and some alcohol heat. Cooked fruit and jammy, this is disgusting.

The palate isn't as awful as the nose, but that isn't saying much. Harsh solvents, alcohol, and cooked fruit before a grassy and vegetal finish, and if that isn't enough, there's some rubber in the middle. Light in body with a medium-high level of carbonation, the awful finish just reemphasizes the trainwreck that this beer is.

1.48/5  rDev -59.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

I picked it up because I'm a fan of fruit beers and have a special liking for the berries, and this had all of them (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries). But this is so, so bad. Let me explain...
Look: Pleasant enough copper color, small head recedes quickly, minimal head, dashes of lacing
Smell: Strong fruit smell, but overly sweet and cloying and artificial. Sniffing too much I literally gagged (and I don't use the word literally in a figurative way...)
Taste: Odd, yeasty? flavor like a wine cooler. Disgusting. Doesn't taste like beer. Heck, doesn't taste like real fruit either.
Feel: Thin, undercarbonated, overly sweet mess. A chore to put down.
Overall: Drain pour, and an expensive one at that. Considering the price and the fact that I love the fruit that this "beer" is supposed to contain, this fits right on my list of the top worst "beers" I've had to date.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Not a beer for me

1.5/5  rDev -58.9%

Short's Soft Parade came courtesy of my good sister (I only have one, but she's my bad sister when she doesn't bring me beer), and I sampled it on a random evening with my good girlfriend.

This baby pours out sexy like the relaxing woman on the label. A deep red body leaves lace all over the glass and reminds me immediately of strawberry. I'm totally down to enjoy this one.

And that's where the fun ends, because I sniff and **zap** my parade is over. Parade to alcohol maybe, or slimy berries and skunk. This smelled like Bud and strawberry Four Loko (I've had Four Loko). It tastes the same way. Alcohol and badness. And faint berries, I give it that, but not much else. An overwhelmingly unbalanced sweetness comes in the middle to tweak the alcohol and cough syrup medicinal feel. It's like cherry chloroseptic.

Overall this light body beer isn't very drinkable, and wound up a drain pour or me. I let it warm and there was no difference to the taste. Sad. Such high expectations.

But despite the beer, she's still my good sister.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.51/5  rDev -58.6%

1.74/5  rDev -52.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.82/5  rDev -50.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Not much sweetness, kinda bitter, a lot of alcohol flavors similar to a dry wine

Short's Soft Parade from Short's Brewing Company