Short's Soft Parade | Short's Brewing Company

Short's Soft ParadeShort's Soft Parade

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Soft Parade is a Fruit Rye Ale brewed with rye flakes and loaded with pureed strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. The rose colored ale has aromas of ripe strawberries and grain. With flavors of fresh berries and rye, Soft Parade finishes dry and eminently drinkable.

Soft Parade was originally developed because Joe Short wanted to create a beer that incorporated a medley of berries, had a great color, and appealed to wine drinkers. The name Soft Parade stemmed from two moments in Joe Short’s life. First, because Joe worked as a brewer at the Traverse Brewing Company and The Doors album, The Soft Parade, played every day at the end of the brew shift. The second moment occurred when Joe was driving by himself, flipping through CD’s in his car, and came across The Soft Parade album again. At the time, The Soft Parade beer had not been named and it dawned on Joe that the medley of fruit infusing into the golden beer reminded him of a soft parade. That day the beer was named!

Added by fantome on 06-18-2004

Ratings: 1,164 |  Reviews: 345

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

3.25/5  rDev -10%

2.5/5  rDev -30.7%

3.5/5  rDev -3%

3.74/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Ordered at the Shorts Brewpub restaurant. Served in snifter glass.

It presented a ruby red color. No foam present, overall it almost has the appearance of a fruity red wine. It smelled great. I picked up primarily strawberries, other fruits and some malt. Taking a whiff of this beer, I anticipated it would taste fantastic.

However the flavor of the beer is a little lacking. Once again I tasted primarily strawberries and a little malt. But the flavor was not complex in my opinion. I expected a bit more from this; there was no pow in my mouth with this one. Indeed this would be a great beer to drink outside on a hot day to quench your thirst. It served me for that purpose.

What's really striking is that it clocks in at 9% ABV. There was no booziness that was noticeable. So you'd have to be careful because before you know it you'll finish the glass.

Overall good beer. Not something I would hunt down but is worth trying if you're in the area. I loved the smell of this beer but feel it needs a bit more complexity.

3.47/5  rDev -3.9%

From notes. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip.

My pour is a medium golden color with light edges and nearly no head.

The nose is a mildly concerning blend of strawberries, medicine, fusel alcohol, raspberries, and blueberries, in that order.

Unfortunately, the flavor is just a mess. Each one of the berries comes through a little bit, but it just does not come together as a beer. There is no real malt presence to speak of, just the light fruit flavors, synethic alcohol, and a little bit of cough syrup.

The body is way too light for what I would want this beer to be. Of course, the alcohol burn and strange flavors do not really contribute in that area either. The carbonation is right in the middle of the spectrum.

Another Short’s bottle disaster. At this point I don’t know why I open them.

4.01/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This was a favorite beer of both me and my wife during a recent Michigan trip.

A- The body of the beer is a ruby pink coloration. The head was white with a hint of raspberry. No lacing and the head quickly resolves.

S- I really am digging the berry overload kicking up from this bottle. Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and blue berries all in ripe bloom. Sweet and tart berry aromas swim up from my glass.

T- The flavor is a mélange of berries. Some swallows are sweeter while some are a bit tart. No off flavors no a hint of alcohol.

M- The body is a bit thinner than I would like it but its still very nice. No hint of 9%abv. The sweetness of the fruit has a dry finish.

O- This beer had me at the aroma. I love the mix of berries in the aroma. The flavor could be amped up a bit, but would it be the soft parade anymore? This is a beer I wish was distributed to Cincinnati.

2.99/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is an opaque reddish purple color with lots of carbonation. Not much head.

Smell is boozy and fruity. Raspberries and strawberries dominate.

Taste is strange, starts with the berry flavors (strawberry, raspberry, blackberry) but the rye and grain dominates the finish. Left a bit of an unpleasant aftertaste in the back of my throat.

Mouthfeel is light-bodied and heavily carbonated. The aftertaste is a problem though.

Overall this was disappointing. I think they are trying too hard to find a happy median between a rye ale and a fruit beer - these flavors just didn't meld well for me.

2.5/5  rDev -30.7%