Black Cherry Porter | Short's Brewing Company

Black Cherry PorterBlack Cherry Porter

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: American Imperial Porter

Black Cherry Porter is made using local Northern Michigan sweet black cherries and eight different malts. Combined, the ingredients provide the deep radiant flavor profile and create the dark opaque color. A slight purple lace from the fruit puree enticingly leads into smooth soft hints of roasted chocolate and pleasurable black cherry flavors.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 140 | Ratings: 347
Reviews by Freshie:
4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

Had this on-tap at the Roadhouse in Brookline, MA, at a short's Beer night, this past weekend. If this is not the black cherry porter I drank, please someone let me know.

Dark as crud color, with slightly maroon lacing on the sides of the glass.

Aroma is sweet, with some dark fruit, what I assume would be the cherries. slight spicy hops, and some alcohol.

The taste is sweet, and somewhat refreshing, which shocked me for a beer with such ABV. Alcohol warms as you drink though. The sweetness comes from the cherries. Faint note of floral hops. A bit sticky from the fruit.

Very drinkable and well made.

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

$2.99 single poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. Dated 10/12 and poured 11/2 ... not too shabby. Been wanting to try this beer for quite a long while, so I'm thankful it got voted into this year's brewing schedule.

Appearance: Black. That's that. There was a finger or so of a creamy, brown head on top, but it slipped to a quarter finger and stayed there. Decent amount of lacing on the glass, but not a lot. Pretty nice looking beer.

Smell: Hm. How do I say this ... it smells like a black cherry infused stout -- I know this is a porter, but this leans more on the "stout" side of things for me. Long story as to how I've discerned the differences. Moving on... dark cherry -- tartness, sweetness and all -- with a pleasant roasted malt. I'd like to say this smells like a chocolate covered cherry, but it doesn't all that much. I guess if I really think about it and pretend that's what I'm smelling I get that out of it, but for me, it's primarily a very solid roasted malt layered just under a significant tart black cherry nose.

Taste/feel: Main reason I'm the guy to say I consider this a stout over a porter ... it feels like a stout. Generally I think of porters as thinner with a higher carbonation, but this has a silky moderately full body with a very modest carbonation -- very, very smooth and outstanding. The taste is also very good, with a great roasty malt at the start on one sip, and the end on the next -- the same goes for the black cherry. I'd say I'm tasting roughly 60% delicious stout (er, porter...), and 40% black cherry juice, and I'll say it's a great blend. The sweet and tart cherries play well with the bitter roasted malt.

I'm surprised and relieved. In my experience, tart/somewhat sour fruits don't seem to work well in stouts because the tart (how many times will I use that word in this review) fruit and bitter malt clash and make for a slightly metallic aftertaste. This beer unfortunately -- really, inevitably -- has that, but it's really slight. The great roasted malt quality, plentiful black cherry flavor, and silky smooth mouth feel make this one of my favorite lower ABV stouts... it's just too bad it's something that's uncommonly bottled.

1.12/5  rDev -71.1%

Thanks to a well-meaning BA for sending me a bottle of this brew, always happy - & a bit nervous - to crack open a new Short's brew.

Pour is black. Smell is...rather foul. A medicinal sourness flows out of the goblet.

If this isn't infected, it's just bad. I'm a fan of cherries, & these cherries have soured, badly. I'm surprised the reviews are so good. I'm making a face every time I take a sip, & I'm afraid it's going to stick like that. Sour, cherry, more sour, bitter, cough syrup.

Terrible. I keep reading that Short's has solved the issues with their beers, but I keep stumbling across brews that don't taste like beer. Talented brewers, clean up your act!

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

3.83/5  rDev -1%

Poured into a wine glass

A-pitch black darkness with almost a plum colored head. Very interesting
S-mixture of chocloate and cherries! Not bad for a brew
T-nice balance. Cherries and roastiness upfront. Nice finish as well...
M-medium bodied and goes down smooth
D-not a beer to drink fast, but to sit and enjoy.

4.17/5  rDev +7.8%

Bottled on date was not apparent..
Poured in to Duvel tulip.

A - Poured jet black - looked almost inky. A small amount of light brown head formed in a ring around the glass.

S - Tart cherries, roasted malts, cocoa, light coffee notes. A very robust and inviting nose.

T - Slight tart cherry taste up front, followed by cocoa and roasted malt flavours. The tart cherry flavour returns in the finish and becomes very prominent but still without overpowering the rest of the flavours. The tartness lingers in the finish.

M - Medium to full body with some good chew. Lightly carbonated.

O - An interesting and unique beer. I really liked how they managed to showcase the black cherry flavour without it overpowering the whole beer.

3.25/5  rDev -16%

Got this as an extra in a trade shared with my wife.

This beer is black with fluffy tan head. The head is thick and creamy and laces well.

The nose is sweet definitely a porter almost like a porter that got a little infected not in a bad way. Has a almost vanilla nose in the end.

The taste is a thick creamy porter to start sweet . The cherry tart flavor comes in and lingers. The flavor is isn't artificial . The carbonation is big but never harsh well rounded a good beer to try but I couldn't have it every day no could I finish it.

My wife liked it better then I

12 oz. bottle

A: Very dark brown. One finger light brown a red tint. Nice lacing.
S: Roasted malt, dark chocolate and sweetness from the cherries.
T: Tastes match the smell. The sweetness is balanced well by a nice hop bitterness.
M: Nice creamy mouthfeel.
D: The 9.0% ABV is very well hidden.

The malt and cherry sweetness is balanced nicely by the bitterness. Great Porter.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

2.7/5  rDev -30.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Snifter glass.
A: Pitch black and syrupy. Coats the glass when you swirl it.

S: Sour cherry scent mixed with some roasted and bitter chocolate.

T:Its says they use real cherries but I get a medicinal artificial cherry flavor. Tastes like chemicals.

M:Small amount of carbonation and thick mouth feel.

D: 6oz was plenty for me. Drinkable but not enjoyable.
This one reminded me of a 2009 Abyss. I was happy to split this 12oz bottle with someone else. Seems like I have felt that way about every Short's brew I've had.

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Cherry to start. The cherry is mildly artificial. Then it follows with roasted malt and a tad bit of chocolate.

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Fairly black with about an inch of head on a normal pour. Head dissipates quickly.

S - Cherries pretty much dominate here, but without that sweet smell. Some burnt malts around, but it mostly cherries.

T - Bitter cherries (not sour bitter, just not sweet) and burnt malts. Almost smokey in the rear. Highly enjoyable.

M - Nice medium mouthfeel, but a little clingy at the end, so I marked it down.

D -Well, its not a one and done, but two and out for sure. The one I am having will be enough for me this evening, but I would enjoy another if possible.

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

Thanks to GrandCruDrew for sending me this one!

Pours an opaque reddish black with a 2 inch crimson brown head that fades to a small cap. Streaks of lace coat the glass on the drink down. Smells of tart super dark cherries, roasted malts, cocoa beans, and slight coffee beans. Taste is of sour black cherry, roasted coffee beans, and cocoa powder. Slight coffee ground/cocoa bitterness on the palate after each sip. Mouthfeel is very good with just the right amount of carbonation that still leaves a creaminess with each sip. Overall, this is a good porter that meshes well with the black cherry puree it's brewed with. I am actually pretty happy that I have another one of these to enjoy another time.

3.38/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Nice dark dark brown color, thick medium brownish in color head with little to no lacing... it slides down the sides of the glass.

S: There is a faint black cherry smell to this beer, very similar to that of a soda but minus the sweetness.

T: This is a very interesting facet of the beer. There is no overpowering black cherry taste to it, but there is a definite sweetness to that boldly contrasts the bitterness of the porter - the very same porter bitterness that is prominent. But again, in a blind taste I would never identify it as black cherry. Rich maltiness is also present.

M: Feels like a soda on the lips, although not overly carbonated. Definitely not a light bodied beer, and not heavy either.

D: Not too sure. This goes down smoothly, but the blend of bitterness and sweetness while touching the taste buds is a little odd.

Comment: Glad I got to try it, but as my first Short's beer, I cannot say I am overly impressed. Boy, I'm hoping the PB&J lives up to the hype.

4.16/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a Chimay goblet. No freshness date.

Appearance: The beer pours a very dark chocolate brown. Absolutely no light getting through this one. Took a hard pour to get some head, but it was worth it. Extremely dark brown foam, color reminds me of frothy chocolate milk. Rises to about a fingers worth, then fades to a thin layer.

Smell: Dark chocolate, tons of roasted (or burnt) malts, small notes of fruit in there, not cherry as I would expect, but strawberry. Alcohol as it warms, as well as dark, roasted coffee.

Taste: Bitterness up front (lots), along with dark chocolate. Plenty of burnt and roasted malts in this one. Coffee, smoke as well. A touch of fresh, very tart cherry at the end which is delicious. The cherry seems to have a tough time fighting through all the other flavors, but its there at the end. The cherry is almost an afterthought, which I like. A bit of bitterness lingers.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with medium carbonation. The beer has a creamy texture, very smooth and easy to drink. The bubbles are very lively.

Overall: There are lots of burnt/smoky/roasted flavors, and the tart cherry is a great finish to all of them. A nice change of pace. It's a definite sipper, and I can't say enough about that smooth, cherry finish.

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

I picked up a six pack of this a couple weeks ago, I like flavored dark beers and shorts always makes exciting beer so I figured I would give this one a try. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- This beer pours a dark black with some ruby red highlights with half a fingers worth of dark tan head that turned into a very small thin ring.

S- The smell is dominated by tons of roasted malts that give off a nice bitter coffee and chocolate smell with some sweet black cherry's at the end.

T- Pretty similar to the nose only much more intense and balanced. Tastes alot likes chocolate covered cherrys. Black cherrys are perfectly balanced with the robust porter flavors.

M- Thick and creamy with medium carbonation.

D- For a strong porter this beer is pretty drinkable and the flavors are perfectly balanced. I wouldn't drink more then two of these due to how strong it is but the booze is hardly detectable and hidden very well.

Overall I thought this was one delicious brew and one of the best shorts brews I have ever had. The black cherrys work great with this beer and compliment the robust porter flavors perfectly. Shorts always seems to blow my mind with their crazy good brews. I need to pick up more of these before they are gone.

Update October 2012. This years release is pretty good, the appearance was a little better with this one, but the body felt a little thinner, still one of my most anticipated Shorts release, I adjusted the scores accordingly.

4.55/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Notes from 1/31/11

A - Pours black with three fingers of deep brown head. Head has great retention.

S - Aroma is chocolate, slightly tart cherries and earthy roasted malts. Smells delicious.

T - Wow! Great blend of chocolate and coffee with cherry flavor filling in the periphery instead of playing a dominant role. Cherry element is slightly tart and not sweet. The tartness is more noticeable on the finish, but is still pretty subtle and desirable.

M - Perfect medium mouthfeel coats the palate nicely.

O - Definitely my favorite Short's offering and one of the better beers I've ever had.

Note: the review is for a pretty fresh bottle. I ending up buying a case of this altogether, and when I got to the last few bottles in March, infection was definitely setting in. Hopefully that will get resolved by the next release, as this is a fantastic beer.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

3.79/5  rDev -2.1%

Received as an extra from czar_chasm. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice deep deep dark brownish black with a good once finger dark dark milk chocolate head that faded to leave a thin blanket and dense halo. Very nice.

S - Aromas..hmm..nice malts and chocolate, but I really cant find any cherries

T - Taste is full of nice roasted malts and dark chocolate. That in itself is very nice with some super faint sour dark fruits. Unfortunately I cant just locate dark cherries.

M - Mouthfeel is nice, silky, creamy. Very good. Slight sour/bitter lingering finish/aftertaste. Nice on the tongue.

O - Overall, its enjoyable. Wish there was more cherry here though. Other than that its quite nice.

Black Cherry Porter from Short's Brewing Company