Chief Hopper | Short's Brewing Company

Chief HopperChief Hopper

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: American Imperial IPA

Chief Hopper is a Double IPA hopped with Vic Secret, Simcoe, and Centennial hops inspired by the show “Stranger Things.” Chief Hopper is deep gold in color and has a dense white head. Dank aromas of pine, grapefruit, pineapple, and mango are accompanied by just a hint of malt. Smooth and balanced in flavor, a citrus forefront is matched with equal malt character.

Added by Tripel_Threat on 11-26-2016

Reviews by szmnnl99:

3.71/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.31/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.04/5  rDev +4.4%

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

3.89/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.09/5  rDev +5.7%

4.28/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.79/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Short's Chief Hopper for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I'm always down to try a new beer from Short's and I'm interested to see what they can do with this DIPA, so lets see how it goes. 2017 Vintage. Poured from a 12oz bottle into an IPA glass.

A- The label looks good, it goes with the name and I like the Stranger Things reference, it's a little eye catching. It poured a cloudy orange color that took on more of a brighter orange color when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of bubbly off white head that died down to a thing ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish it had a little better head retention.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up with some nice fruit hops that impart some pineapple,citrus rind mango and tropical fruit like aromas with some green hops and slight earthy and spicy hops showing up in the background. Up next comes some doughy yeast that leads into a little bit of alcohol which is noticeable and that leads into the malts which impart a pale malt, lightly bready and sweet malt like aroma. This beer has a good aroma, I like the hop profile.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but this time it's just a little more fruitier and it starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with the hops still being the first to show up and they impart all those same fruity aspects that they did in the aroma and this time they show up a little more with the green hops showing up a little more too and the spicy and earthy hops show up a little less. Up next comes a little bit of doughy yeast which leads into a slight amount of alcohol which is barely noticeable and it's followed by the malts which impart all the same aspects with more of a grainy, and cereal like aspects with the malts just being slightly watery. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium bitterness that lingers just a little with a little more candy sweetness and fruity hops in the aftertaste. This is a pretty nice tasting beer, I like the hop profile, but I wish the malts weren't slightly watery.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly watery, somewhat crisp, on the slightly lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is nice, but I wish it was just a little thicker.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was a solid example of the style, I liked it and I liked the hop profile, but when it came to the malts and the body I thought it was just a little rough around the edges. This beer had ok drinkability, one is the perfect amount for me, more than that and it might start to wear on me. What I like the most about this beer is the hop profile and aroma, to me those were easily the highlights of this beer. What I like the least about this beer is the malt base and the body, I think they could both use some work and they held this beer back a little. I might buy this beer again and I don't think I would turn one down. I would recommend checking it out of your looking for a nicely hoppy DIPA that's a little on the lighter side. All in all I liked this beer, but I didn't love it and I think if the malt base had a little more complexity and gave a little more thickness to this beer it would be pretty good. It's not my of my favorite shorts beers and it's a solid example of the style. Nice job guys, this is a solid DIPA that's a little on the lighter side for the style, keep it up.

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

4.58/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours copper. Foamy, medium, white head lasts a while.

Smells citrus peel, tropical, pine and doughy malt.

Tastes citrus peel, orange, lemon, doughy malt, tropical notes, pepper and pine. Finish is dry with pine linger. Medium body and fizzy medium carbonation.

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

4.6/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle from my pal’s stock. What a pleasant surprise? Already a fan of Short’s Huma, Centennial and All Day IPAs. Chief Hopper double IPA is a wonderful addition to Short’s stable.

3.92/5  rDev +1.3%

SOMEONE NEEDS TO ADJUST THIS BEER TO 9.2 ABV IN THE DESCRIPTION
hardy pour into my sierra Nevada spiegelau ipa glass. bottled 02/13/17 on neck of beer.

Appearance- transparent copper color with the egg shell/ off white fluffy head. leaves good amount of lacing.

Aroma- typical shorts biscuit malt scent with a floral haze.

Flavor- biscuit malt mixed with bitterness. slight citrus but more floral and piney. really get those simcoe hops. a spec of a fruit or something that's in there that i'm not digging. not bad in any way but not buying a case of this stuff.

Mouthfeel- solid medium bodied. good carbonation.

Drinkability- on #five of the six pack. not bad in any way.

Overall- this brew is good. don't get me wrong but it has this short's essence that a ton of short's ipa's have. I get huma and hangin' frank( f%ck off with controversi). Almost reminds me of a controversi maximas but I would rather have that instead of this. I would lose the vic secret hops and just add more centennial or simcoe but I know the TRENDY thing to do is add new and different hops to the lineup. good beer but nothing solid or mind blowing.

4.06/5  rDev +4.9%