Short's Noble Chaos Oktoberfest | Short's Brewing Company

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Our new fall seasonal which is a Northern Michigan version of a German style Marzen or Oktoberfest, done the Short's Brew way. This beer is well balanced with Noble hop additions which provide a subtle bouquet and pleasant flavor which melds well with the malt profile consisting of 2 row, chocolate, special roast, caramel and Munich malts.  It's a brand new addition to the Short's Brew family of beer.
40 I.B.U.'s

Added by jimbotrost on 09-14-2005

3.77/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 9/9 and poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint on 10/22. $2 single. My first Marzen of 2014.

Appearance: Pretty neat label, with a king standing on a boat on the water. I think Short's ought to make the "Chaos" text white or grey to make it more visible, but that's just me. Anyway, a reasonably aggressive pour barely got the whole beer into my pint. Pillowy three finger beige head. Lots of lacing. The color of the beer is a bit of a hazy orange/red/brown color -- almost like that of an empty beer bottle. Awesome looking Oktoberfest.

Smell: It's probably because I haven't had one from the style for awhile, but it smells a little different to me when compared to other Marzens -- like I think I get a little more hops than most others. I also smell the Munich malt, but also some other sort of malt that reminds me of the variety they use in their Strawberry Short's Cake, which is a "dirty" sort of malt. There's also a faint dark fruit sweetness hanging around in there too.

Taste/feel: Very good, even if it's not quite as smooth and malt loaded as some other Oktoberfests out there. Good ol' munich malt, a slight earthy/grassy hop flavor, and a dry finish with a lingering typical Oktoberfest finish, with a slight hoppiness there with it. The feel is decent as well with a relatively high carbonation and a moderate body.

My favorite thing about Noble Chaos has to be the subtle Noble hop hoppiness. I was worried Short's might over-do it like they excessively hop many other beers, but this one is done well. It's a solid could-be-forgettable Oktoberfest that's made memorable by its hop character.

3.92/5  rDev +5.1%

3.95/5  rDev +5.9%

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

12 ounce bottle, dated 07/08/15 (Revisit)

Bottle into goblet with deep amber/copper hue and a quickly receding white, half finger head.

Aroma of grass, hay, earth and spice, along with some toasted bread notes. Underlying caramel malt is there as well.

Taste is a much better balance between the hops and malt, with the toasted malt leading the way. Hints of cocoa and nuttiness are there as well. The hops rush in at the end, leaving the palate dry with a moderate, shortly lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel is exceptional. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation, but oh so smooth. I could drink this all night long.

Overall, Noble Chaos is an easy drinking Oktoberfest with a sizable Noble hop character. While I've admittedly had few of the style, I loved this interpretation and will remember its smoothness.

1.2/5  rDev -67.8%