Short's Cup A Joe Coffee Creme Stout | Short's Brewing Company

Short's Cup A Joe Coffee Creme StoutShort's Cup A Joe Coffee Creme Stout

Short's Brewing Company

Style: American Stout

"A brew uniquely different from most coffee stouts, we cram Higher Grounds roasted fair trade espresso beans into every facet of the brewing process. Prominent aromatics of malt, espresso, and cocoa are abundant and create a flavor robust with big malt characters fused with cream and coffee. The perfect morning night capper."
20 I.B.U.’s

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-26-2006

Reviews: 298 | Ratings: 698
4.49/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Shorts Cup A Joe Coffee Cream Stout

Appearance: Into a large snifter. Pours a dark blackish brown with an off white tightly beaded foam cap.

Smell: Chocolate, roasted, black malts with vanilla latte coffee. An expressive and decadant aroma that highlights everything dark, ground and roasted.

Taste: Yummy. Tons of coffee, lactose sugar, roasted malts, bitter unsweetened chocolate, mild earthy hop bitters and more coffee. Everything there is good, and integrates well into the taste. Mild tang from the grounds used, typical of a better espresso. Coffee bean flavors abound!

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and SO smooth, creamy and silky on the feel. Carbonation is right where it needs to be, medium/low and perfect.

Overall: If nothing else mattered, I would have a stockpile of this beer and start every day with one or two. Lovely stuff here.

2.97/5  rDev -26.3%

Poured into a darkness goblet on 8/4/11.

Pours a a watery black with almost no head at all. A touch of brown resin when swirled. This needs more head in the pour it looks like I poured a glass of Coke.

Smell is of coffee and sweet malts in the front with some slight creamy smoothness in the end. Coffee and cream are very delightful with a slight sourness.

Taste is very strange. I like the coffee and cream tastes in the end of the taste but it all gets over powered by a strong sour taste the second it hit your tongue. This really missed the mark, I don't want my coffee stout to taste like its infected.

Mouthfeel is light and runs smooth with no bitterness. Alcohol is all covered. Not much else to say.

Overall this really missed its mark. It really tastes like the brew is infected. The aroma and the taste are totally different. I like the coffee aromas but the sour taste and mouthfeel really ruins this beer.

2.18/5  rDev -45.9%

A- Poured quickly into my Bruery tulip... no head what-so-ever... just a bit of kahki brown lacing around the edges. Deep dark brown and malty without any light shining thru!

S- Coffee and burnt malts... nothing else, just coffee. No depth, no other flavors in the nose. I understand what this is... I just didn't realize that it would only hit one note!

T- Uhmmm... Dark roasted coffee... just a hint of sour cherry. Over-powering coffee! Bitter!!! No caramel creme, no Cocoa... just bitter, day old coffee with a touch of sourness.

M- Acrid and bitter... was I supposed to add cream and sugar to this? Sour coffee is not something a beer should be proud of!

O- This is pretty damn awful!!! Raisin and bitter coffee is not what you wanna wake up too, or say goodnite with!!! I feel like putting a drop or two of coffee creamer in it just to make it drinkable!

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip, dark brown with very little tan head. Nice coffee smell--very appealing but not a lot of depth. Fantastic coffee flavor with just enough carbonation to back up a nice creaminess.

Thanks to pocwolf for sending this as an extra! Definitely a delicious treat and very drinkable.

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

I got this one a while back from lewis1rg. Thanks Ryan!

A: Poured abysmally black, with absolutely no head to speak of. I let is sit for a second, then I got a mild light brown ring around the brew.

S: Big coffee aroma, with a bit of a "Mallow Creme" quality about it. Also, I got some of that unique sourness that often get from Shorts stuff.

T: Yep, sourness in the shallow background. Sort of an off-kilter Flanders Aud Bruin imbedded in nice stout. Nice coffee taste.

M: Thick, and the sour aftertaste (which may not have been intentional), and very creamy. The carbonation was low, yet that was appropriate in this setting. No lacing.

O: I used to think that most of Shorts brews were infected, and I guess most are. However, they did a brewery takeover at Churchkey here in DC last month, I sampled tons of their brews, and I'm now think that the sourness is just part of their taste profile. What do you think?

4.11/5  rDev +2%

12oz. bottle, poured into a Duvel tulip at cellar temperature.

Appearance- Pours a dark black colour, with absolutely no light penetrating any angles of this one, average pour yields a finger of dark brown head that quickly dissipates to a very small ring around the glass leaving very minimal to no lacing throughout till finish.

Smell- A very nice coffee smell coming from this one, I rather like it to be honest, it’s not overly bitter like a lot of coffee stouts can be but it smells nice and sweet. Nice roasted malt flavours as well with a small hint of dark chocolate in there also; it really does smell like a sweet milky iced coffee that you buy from the store not some bitter cold coffee smell.

Taste- Is pretty much just like the aromas, the coffee in this one actually tastes good and is well balanced, milky sweet coffee flavours paired with a nice roasted malt flavour that finishes almost sweet on the palate, no bitter coffee tastes here just a good tasting iced coffee flavour, some dark chocolate flavours hidden in there as well; a very well balanced coffee stout.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied that goes down nice and silky smooth, very creamy on the mouth feel as well with average carbonation.

Overall- I am very impressed by this one, this is a nice sweet, milky, sugary stout that is not overly bitter on the coffee but on the contrary it was like I went to McDonalds and bought an iced coffee, it was just so well balanced and perfect on the palate, the smells are not overly complex but this one really shines through in the tastes. A great beer that was picked up at a great price and I would definitely pick this one again once I run out. Congrats Short’s this one is definitely a winner in my books.

3.89/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Darkness snifter

A- Very dark, motor oil appearance, no lacing at all, slight carbonation, no apparent lacing, looks very thick.
S- Strong roasted coffee aroma up front, slight bitter sweet aroma as well, malts are present, as well as hints of chocolate.
T- Tastes as it smells, nice crisp coffee taste, very roasty and slight bitterness, with malt characteristics as well.
M- Medium mouth feel, smooth, crisp, slightly carbonated.
O- Very surprising, not the biggest coffee fan, but this was tasty, very roasty, love the strong coffee taste.

3.52/5  rDev -12.7%

Thanks to redsand22 for this!

Dark brown, opaque, and a small amount of tan head. Pretty standard for the style.

Coffee and condensed milk. Slightly sweet. It's kind of like a a creamy iced coffee smell. No hop presence here.

Still, no noticeable hops, but no issues here. Lots of coffee, some creamy milkiness hanging around with it. Again, like a coffee with cream. That's the best way to describe this. Semi sweet with some chocolate notes in the background too.

Thickish, more like the milk than the coffee. I suspect that lactose is an ingredient here. Mediumish carbonation.

Not bad, but I'll admit that I take my coffee black. Milk stouts have never been my thing, but this is certainly ranking above most of them.

3.21/5  rDev -20.3%

A :Pitch black beer with a one finger creamy, dense and copmact, beautiful head that lasts reasonably well, leaving some lacing.
Aroma is, obviously coffee. Unfortunately, coffee and more coffee; you have to really use your imagination to find a tiny little bit of cocoa, roasted malts in there.
Very creamy mouthfeel,
but the flavor, like the aroma, is coffee, more coffee. Everything else is buried in there. Now, it is very good and flavorful coffee, but still, only coffee. No room for complexity.
Some coffee lovers might like it, but in my opinion, if I want pure and simple coffee, I would have, well, coffee.

3.01/5  rDev -25.3%

This was reviewed blind as part of the Blind BIF #5

#4 from johnbjaeger

A - Poured into my pint glass as instructed, the color is a solid black that doesn't let any light shine through at all. There was a brief dark tan foam that quickly faded into nothing but a ring of bubbles around the glass

S - Its like sniffing an ashtray minus the having to stand outside in the cold with your not so well informed friends. Really, thats about all i'm picking up. Not my favorite smell, but lets see what awaits.

T - Now thats weird, there is little to no smoke, its hard to pinpoint any single flavor with this. slightly roasted malts, a hint of citrus here and there. I'm just really confused by this beer. I want to keep drinking it but there is nothing about it that really stands out.

M - smooth and kind of creamy mouthfeel but gives way to a bit of watered down feel. There is a slightly burnt finish that sticks around for a bit.

D - Again, I like it, but I just can't place it. Would I want another? Doubtful.

The reveal
Shorts Cup A Joe Coffee Creme Stout
huh? I guess I can now pick up the roasted coffee, but i'm getting bottom of the pot free coffee that we have at work. I'm really disappointed in this one. I'm glad to try it, I have wanted to for a long time, but its just not what I was expecting.

3.53/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Notes from 5/22/11
Poured in to Founder's Tulip glass

A - Dark black with a very small amount of light brown head.

S - Bitter dark roasted coffee completely dominates the palate. Some sweetness is evident as well. Not a very complex nose.

T - Follows the nose. Very bitter dark roasted coffee. Some sweetness in the middle, followed by a dry, bitter coffee finish.

M - Light to medium body; light carbonation.

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Notes from Dec. 2010. Fresh bottle.

Pours pitch black with one finger of quickly dissipating head. Looks nice.

Has a massive coffee nose, similar to Founder's Breakfast Stout. Also, some deep roasted malts, but mostly coffee.

Coffee dominates the taste as well, but the creaminess of the milk sugar adds nice depth and the earthy roasted malts are very nice. Lingering coffee bitterness and some lingering sweetness as well. Nice.

Mouthfeel is actually a bit thin for such a big, flavorful brew.

I could easily start drinking this at breakfast and continue throughout the day. One of Short's best when fresh.

Note: I noticed this one was turning for the worse back in February, so not surprising to see the recent bad reviews. Guess anything with lactose should be consumed fresh.

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Pours a dark hazy coffee grind black with little head, nearly no gas release upon opening.

Aroma of strong bitter iced coffee with no cream or sugar, heavy roasted malt aromas all over.

Taste of straight up cold brewed concentrated coffee. The description says that coffee is used in all different brewing processes during the making of this beer and I believe it. I have had a lot of coffee stouts and this is by far my favorite to date. While coffee stouts are not my favorite style, I do love coffee and clearly enjoy a good beer. This beer does not fall flat in either of those categories. I get a bit of caramel flavors along with coffee flavored malts, and some sweet malty flavors.

While slightly light on the carbonation, I think that it is accurate for the style. I have never had carbonated coffee, so this rings the bell on actually tasting like coffee as supposed to over bittered astringent messes of some coffee stouts that I have had in the past.

Overall very well done by Shorts.

3.15/5  rDev -21.8%

Thanks to NickD717 Tasted on 4/21/11. Reviewed from notes:

A: Pours a thin black w/ a very thin head

S: Strong sugary & espresso smells. Some milky/cream smell

T: Odd creamy taste, coffee bitterness on front end and a little on the back.

M: Very smooth. Thin feel. Very little carbonation

O: This beer is well made and fits the style. It just didn't offer me anything I loved.

4.19/5  rDev +4%

What could be better than a cup of coffee before work? How about coffee beer!

Pours black with the tiniest little creamy brown head. Pretty for the style.

This smells fantastic! I could not ask for more depth and freshness from a coffee stout. I could crawl in here and take a nap.

The taste is good, but definitely has a hard time living up to the expectations of the nose on this thing. Lots of coffee, cream, andd a hint of chocolate. Good, but there is room for improvement.

Mouthfeel is a bit light for my liking. It lacks the rich creamy quality I love in coffee brews.

All in all this is a good brew. If it was around me I would probably pick it up from time to time.

2.52/5  rDev -37.5%

Hate to do it, but I have to agree with the last two reviews of this beer. I got it as an extra in a trade from a good trader, so I can't fault them for that, but the beer was flat out disappointing. The previous 2 reviews are pretty much right on with respect to the issues with this beer. Namely, it's flat--with a slight coffee taste but an acidic aftertaste. I was really disappointed that this beer was so bad. I honestly had high expectations for it. Maybe I got a bad bottle? To be fair, I did NOT read any reviews until I had to drain pour the beer and at that point looked at BA to see the previous 2 reviews.

Hopefully this was an anomaly.

2.14/5  rDev -46.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Dogfish Head signature glass. Split with mrmarmot.

A: Dark black color. Aggressive pour leads to almost zero head that is disappointing. Not much lacing to speak of.

S: Burnt coffee, toasted malts, caramel

T: Tastes like the coffee pot was left on high for 4 hours, then was turned off, then was turned back on again, then left over night, then reheated in the microwave. Bitter coffee flavor and sweet lactose creamer with slight caramel backing.

M: Thin, undercarbonated, acidic and not pleasant.

O: I was really disappointed. Seeing this beer made me excited to try it and it was so disappointing when I had to drain pour it. I'm wondering why it still has an A- average.

2.49/5  rDev -38.2%

More opaque then i was expecting, pretty dense and black with some dark brown highlights around the edges. ring of dark tan foam.
The aroma smells over roasted, a bit stale. Strong coffee presence for sure, but it could be done a bit better.
Man, the flavors take the aroma notes but another step down. There is a stale coffee acidity and sourness that is not very cool. Charred coffee with past date lactose milk creamer.

The look and viscosity were good, the whole coffee aspect of this was bad though(i am a coffee geek). Can i assume they added the coffee during the boil for extraction? I don't know, but that's what it tastes like, and it turned out bad.

2.96/5  rDev -26.6%

Pours a motor oil black with the faintest whisper of a foam head - appears to be a very low level of carbonation. Nose has freshly brewed drip coffee, cinnamon sugar doughnuts, as well as spent coffee grinds and sweet non dairy creamer. Really a nicely put together aroma. Taste is almost sour/bitter coffee, really unpleasant compared to how nice the nose was. Sour red fruits as well but the low level of carbonation really hurts the taste and drinkability.

1.89/5  rDev -53.1%

No bottled on date to be found.

Prying the cap open produces a quiet pop. Needs a rather vigorous pour to create the head you expect from an imperial stout.

Smell is a rather strange combination of old coffee grounds, burnt granulated sugar and wet peanut shells.

Watered down roasted malt is overpowered by an aggressive sour (and slightly sweet) lactic acid flavor. This tastes like 2 week old burnt black coffee with a spoonful of sugar and some non-dairy creamer. Yep.

Mouthfeel is thin and undercarbonated.

No bottled on date prevents me from knowing how old this is. Infection seems likely — but an unusual amount of powdered lactose also seems like a culprit.

3.26/5  rDev -19.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into two goblets. Thanks to MarcatGSB for the bottle!

Appearance - Pours a very dark brown with almost no head and no lacing. Not quite fully opaque. Light comes through on the edges, but not through the body of the liquid. Looks thin, really.

Smell - Strong coffee flavor. Almost smells like an over-brewed, burnt roast. Another review mentioned Starbucks coffee, probably for this reason. Roasted malts come through, but it's faint by comparison to the coffee.

Taste - Similar flavor. The coffee isn't as pronounced as it is in the nose. It's still strong, but it tastes more like a stout than just a cup of coffee. A lot of lactose sweetness comes through in the back and diminishes any bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Very thin. Fairly low carbonation, but it's not too low. It's an appropriate level. The body is what lets it down. I want something a bit chewier to stand up to the coffee. It doesn't taste like an 8% beer though. I would expect something with such little body to be a lot boozier at 8%, but it isn't.

Overall - Certainly tasty and pretty easy to drink, since it's so thin. The lactose and intensity of the coffee are a turn-off, though.

3.48/5  rDev -13.6%

A - Black, small head, almost no lace.

S - Starbucks type coffee, strong burnt

T - Not as much coffee as I smell but still strong.

M - Good carbonation not as "rich" as I would like

D - Decent couldn't do more than 1.

2.37/5  rDev -41.2%

12oz bottle into Delirium Noel snifter.

A: Pour a very dark brown with an extremely huge airy head that foamed up even with a slow pour. This light brown soft looking head took forever to die down into a
S: Immediately I get huge notes of lactose milk-sugar mixed with a huge rich blast of dark roasted espresso beans. There is also a slight touch of alcohol vapor mixed in to remind me that as I sniff this beer I am not in a coffee shop.
T: Coffee is at the forefront along with dark malts. The lactose is there to add a creamy touch of sweetness, but sadly all of these flavors are overshadowed by an overwhelming tart/sourness. Like many a reviewer before me has stated, this beer had great potential but sadly something went wrong. Oddly enough the rich coffee aftertaste is quit good, but sadly I could not take more than a few sips of it before this sour mess went down the drain.
M: Overly carbonated but strangely thin. This beer froths up on the palate before the mouth fall off the edge.
O: This one smelled great and for a second tasted really good. I bet if I had this fresh it would be one hell-of-a beer. Too bad this one wasn’t good.

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%

A - Pitch black, small mocha head, not much lace.

S - Burnt coffee. Bottom of the 7-11 pot at 11:30 am.

T - Pretty much matches smell, though I don't know if that is a good thing.

M - Bitter coffee.. too much.. Good carb, no balance.

D - Probably won't even finish the sucker.

2.5/5  rDev -38%

C: Can’t tell how clear it is because it is BLACKKKK
H: Very Dark Black
N:Espresso forward, hints of sweet creme, and sugary roasted malt

Call me crazy, yes I know most of you do already, but I get pepperoncini all up in the nose. Now I can pull the espresso out, and maybe it is just the bitterness of the coffee, but I get pepperoncini. Regardless, I was excited about this beer as I have only been able to try several of the Short’s Beers. Thanks to EvilTwin for sharing this with me.
OK, the taste of the beer is straight black olive. I love black olives, but damn….not in beer. There is a strong salty mid-palate flavor that is throwing the whole flavor profile off. That mixed with a strong espresso back-end, brought me back to the day of eating black olives from the can. Nothing like putting the pitted black olives on your fingers so you have olive fingers, and then eating them off! (Hey don’t judge me….I know you did it too!). Overall this is an interested black olive beer!

Short's Cup A Joe Coffee Creme Stout from Short's Brewing Company