Short's Cup A Joe Coffee Creme Stout | Short's Brewing Company

Short's Cup A Joe Coffee Creme StoutShort's Cup A Joe Coffee Creme Stout

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

"A brew uniquely different from most coffee stouts, we cram Higher Grounds roasted fair trade espresso beans into every facet of the brewing process. Prominent aromatics of malt, espresso, and cocoa are abundant and create a flavor robust with big malt characters fused with cream and coffee. The perfect morning night capper."
20 I.B.U.’s

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-26-2006

Reviews: 309 | Ratings: 741
4.09/5  rDev +1.5%

I picked up a bottle of Short's Cup A Joe Coffee Creme Stout a couple days ago for $2.09 at The Lager Mill. I am a big fan of Coffee Stouts and since I missed out on this beer last year I made sure to grab one so I can sit down and give it a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date but I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label on this beer, it's nicely done, eye catching, and I like the fact that it says what type of coffee was used in this beer. It poured a nice jet black color that didn't let any light come through and it had three quarter of a fingers worth of mocha colored head that quickly faded to nothing. The color is nice but I want more head and retention.

S- The aroma of this beer is really nice, and it smells very similar to a mocha latte, if I smelled this and didn't know it was beer I would be sure this was a cold mocha latte. It's got some nice and sweet coffee and chocolate aromas along with a very present cream aroma that you don't always get in coffee stouts so this makes it a little different. Some reviewers say that it smells like a coffee house and I fully agree with that statement. It has a nice aroma that is more mocha latte then plain black coffee.

T- The taste is pretty much exactly the same as the aroma. It starts off with some dark roasted malts and a pretty nice coffee flavor that mixes very well with some chocolate, caramel and sweet cream. This beer has a high amount of sweetness but the coffee and cream flavors seem to cut through it a little. This is like drinking a Starbucks mocha Frappuccino in beer form. The finish was sweet with a medium amount of roasty bitterness and it had a creamy coffee like aftertaste.

M- Rich, creamy, on the high side of being medium bodied and it had a low amount of carbonation that worked well with this beer. The mouthfeel was pretty coffee like and worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought that this was a pretty good American Coffee Stout, it had all those nice coffee flavors that you would expect from a Coffee Stout, but it also had a heavy milk/cream aspect that sets this beer apart from some of the other Coffee Stouts. This beer isn't too drinkable, I would only want one at a time when it comes to this beer, the sweetness would be too much after drinking one of these. What I liked most about this beer was the coffee and cream profile that this beer had in the flavor and aroma it was really nice and the mouthfeel was equally as good. What I liked least about this beer was the high amount of sweetness in the flavor, ir was just a little to sweet for my tastes and it would help the drinkability if it was toned down a notch, I also would have like more head. I would buy this beer again, I think a six pack would be just enough for the winter season and it would be a good beer to start your day off with. This beer is worth trying especially if Coffee Stouts are your thing and even more so if you like Mocha Lattes. In the end I thought that this was a solid coffee stout that was unique, but the high amount of sweetness keeps this beer from being on the same level as Founders Breakfast Stout, so FBS is still my favorite Coffee Stout. I like how Short's made this beer more Mocha Latte like then just black coffee, just like all their beers it is different from the mainstream versions, good job Short's this is a worthy and unique Coffee Stout.
UPDATE- 2012, This years release doesn't seem as heavy on the milk sugar and cream flavor, it's just about as good, but I think I like the 2011 release slightly more, the score stays the same.

3.42/5  rDev -15.1%

Got this one from spdyfire83. Thanks for hanging out man!

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours out black and very thick for the style. Yields a small, medium looking, mocha colored head with lousy retention. Head quickly recedes to a hazy wisp and ring. Body is jet black with no carbonation evident. A ring remains until the end but leaves no lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Big coffee nose. Roasted coffee beans, roasted malts and some definite cream and lactose sugar. Much like a milk latte, just as the label describes.

TASTE: Not as impressive as the nose had advertised. Some roasted malts, sweet caramel and milk sugar on the palate. Sweet and sugary, but very little coffee flavor in there. Aftertaste is mild but lingers well with caramel, lactose and just a touch of bitter coffee as well. Not much coffee in this one, and quite sweet. Fine, but not as impressive as the nose, and more cream heavy over the coffee. More balance and a more integrated flavor profile would have been appreciated.

PALATE: Medium body and lower amounts of carbonation. Not overly creamy on the palate, but goes down fine and finishes slightly mouth-coating. Good here.

OVERALL: This one is alright I guess, but for a coffee stout, it doesn’t quite live up to expectations. It’s definitely got the cream and lactose areas covered, but for a coffee stout, I expected to taste a bit more of that element throughout the beer. Worth checking out, but like may Short’s beers, not worth going crazy for. Give it a go if you can easily find it.

3.48/5  rDev -13.6%

Super dark and syrupy pour. Nice touch of coffee/mocha head dissipates quickly. Not all that much lacing.

S - Coffee coffee coffee. Smells like a dark roast, bitter. Not getting much else except maybe a hint of sweetness at the end.

T - A lot sweeter than I would have thought. It's a sugary sweet too, not much molasses/caramel sugar like I'd have hoped. Definitely getting coffee for the second 2/3 of the drink. Some hops at the end. Coffee bitterness stays with me awhile.

M - Creamy. Enough carbonation to balance the beginning of the drink but the end is syrupy and a bit slimy.

O - This was good. Something in the latter half of the drink that is off-putting. Can't get over the creamy sweetness there... hmm.

4.59/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours dark black with a brown rim.

Smell: Smells like a coffee house. Rich coffee smell tops with hints of cream/sugar.

Taste: Like an Iced Coffee, no harsh alcohol taste - very smooth but bold coffee flavor.

Mouthfeel: Rich and thick, finishes smooth.

Overall: If you're a coffee drinker, this is a must have! Flavors come out perfect without a harsh after taste.

4.59/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: Pours dark black. A slightly aggressive pour produces a thin tan head that dissipates fairly quickly. Very light on the lacing.

Smell: Ever walk into "the coffee beanery" at the mall? That's what this beer smells like. Super rich coffee aroma, hint of creamer and some dark cocoa smells. Screw Folgers, the best part of waking up is THIS beer in your cup!

Taste: Like a delicious iced cappuccino. Dark roasted coffee, cream, dark chocolates and a light sweet tinge at the end. As it warms the flavors get better and better. Delicious beer from beginning to end.

Mouthfeel: Thick, Rich and Creamy! Very mild carbonation but perfect for this style.

Overall: If you like strong coffee you must seek this beer. I'm a huge milk stout fan so this beer is right up my ally. I've had many coffee beers before but this one is unlike all others I've had. This is a coffee bomb. Fantastic beer and can't wait for my next one! Thanks Shorts!

4.59/5  rDev +13.9%

A - Poured into a pint glass, pours a pitch black consistency and builds a pretty small dark head that fizzles out quickly. Some lacing.

S - God, that smells divine. Rich coffee aroma, like fresh ground beans. Very subtle malts in the back.

T - Initially, I was kind of surprised by how sweet it is. The malts have a much bigger part than the nose lets on. Coffee comes swiftly behind, bitter and roasty. Finishes dry.

M - Very rich and creamy. Mild carbonation.

O - This one certainly doesn't disappoint. Bold coffee stout that is both tasty and very drinkable. I know it's brand spanking new, but the guys at Short's should seriously start thinking about putting dates on the bottles. Just saying.

4.37/5  rDev +8.4%

A-Black/dark brown with a cocoa powder head. It looks like a latte. Same appearance with minimal carbonation, just a little froth.

S-Smells like coffee and chocolate.

T-I love coffee. The fact that this is a beer is ridiculous. I feel like I am drinking this super chocolately cold coffee drink. It is amazing how tasty this beer is fresh.

M-For a beer and a stout this is a very odd mouth feel. It is super creamy and leaves a mess on your tongue. Makes sense as a coffee drink but strange for a beer.

O-As delicious and aromatic as this is, I can only drink a few a season. I do enjoy FBS more and can session that (I can) but this is one intense coffee stout. Tasty but not an everyday beer.

4.95/5  rDev +22.8%

This has been revised at the bottom.

poured into a glass

pours a dark black. Super head the biggest head i have ever seen on a beer overflowing couldnt even pour it all in the glass at once. golden brown foam overflowing all over my counter top.

smells like burnt black coffee.

alls i have to say it that i dont like black coffee so alls i wanted to do the whole time i was drinking this was put some creamer in it.

mouth feel was medium.

i would not drink this beer again im just not that big of a fan of black black black coffee it is different but i expected allot more out of it way too over the top.

12/7/11
Well thats how i felt about this beer about two years ago.

Now i have to say what a fantastic beer. This years is amazing and im sure that my taste have changed.

Pours Black, Nice thick brown head.

Smells like coffee and sweet creamer

Lots of coffee flavor with a nice sweet finish thats just right.

Perfect mouth feel

Please sir may I have some more.

4.54/5  rDev +12.7%

I would like to start off by saying that I have been cellaring this stout since Christmas of 2009, and I cracked one open in honor of All Stouts Day.

A - poured into a Guinness style pint glass, this stout was black as night with a nut-brown head that held for much longer than expected. When it fell, lacing remained as I drank.

S - Roasted espresso, toasted cocoa, with a subtle nuttiness.

T - When I had this last, the roasted chocolate malt dominated. Now, after it had time to age, the coffee flavor is much more present. I have seen others comment about the sour flavor that this beer has, and it is still here, but it isn't a detriment. It reminds me of a strong espresso with a lemon twist. Very, very nice.

M - The mouthfeel is rich, creamy, and full. This is where the cream in the cream stout shines.

Overall, this beer is pretty fantastic. I have two more bottles; one of which I will have around the holidays, and the other I think I will save for the end of the world (12.21.12, that is).

3.59/5  rDev -10.9%

Thanks to Mark for this bottle in our recent trade. Poured into Great Divide tulip glass after allowing to warm from the fridge for about 10 minutes.

A: Reasonable pour down the center of the glass does not produce much head....very minimal only a slight ring and dissipates quickly. Dark as night...not a great appearance in the glass. 3.0

S: Smell is of super strong coffee, roasty, a little chocolate, a little vanilla, tad of molasses...smells like a coffee house. Pretty good nose on this one. 4.0

T: Burnt coffee flavor....like coffee that has sat on the burner way too long. A little chocolate sweetness a little to be desired here. It gets better as it warms though. If I didn't love coffee I would find this a bit off putting. 3.5

M: Mouthfeel is nice and thick leaving an oily presence on the teeth. I'd like to see a little more carbonation here as it's somewhat flat 3.5

O: Overall I was expecting a lot more from this one The burnt coffee flavor is pretty off putting. All in all not a bad beer but not impressive either. Glad I got to try it either way. 3.5

3.7/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Very little in the way of head. Very calm pour... Brew is very black with chocolate brown ring around the edge.

S - Amazingly strong chili/coffee/chocolate scent. some chocolate, but not too much else.

T - Very nice roasty chocolate-peppery-coffee. well done.

M - Thin and watery, a little weak... Nice carbonation though. A little rough on the after taste.

O - Underwhelming brew for sure! I expected a lot more out of this one. But for a coffee stout, it's nice.

4.49/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Shorts Cup A Joe Coffee Cream Stout

Appearance: Into a large snifter. Pours a dark blackish brown with an off white tightly beaded foam cap.

Smell: Chocolate, roasted, black malts with vanilla latte coffee. An expressive and decadant aroma that highlights everything dark, ground and roasted.

Taste: Yummy. Tons of coffee, lactose sugar, roasted malts, bitter unsweetened chocolate, mild earthy hop bitters and more coffee. Everything there is good, and integrates well into the taste. Mild tang from the grounds used, typical of a better espresso. Coffee bean flavors abound!

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and SO smooth, creamy and silky on the feel. Carbonation is right where it needs to be, medium/low and perfect.

Overall: If nothing else mattered, I would have a stockpile of this beer and start every day with one or two. Lovely stuff here.

2.97/5  rDev -26.3%

Poured into a darkness goblet on 8/4/11.

Pours a a watery black with almost no head at all. A touch of brown resin when swirled. This needs more head in the pour it looks like I poured a glass of Coke.

Smell is of coffee and sweet malts in the front with some slight creamy smoothness in the end. Coffee and cream are very delightful with a slight sourness.

Taste is very strange. I like the coffee and cream tastes in the end of the taste but it all gets over powered by a strong sour taste the second it hit your tongue. This really missed the mark, I don't want my coffee stout to taste like its infected.

Mouthfeel is light and runs smooth with no bitterness. Alcohol is all covered. Not much else to say.

Overall this really missed its mark. It really tastes like the brew is infected. The aroma and the taste are totally different. I like the coffee aromas but the sour taste and mouthfeel really ruins this beer.

2.18/5  rDev -45.9%

A- Poured quickly into my Bruery tulip... no head what-so-ever... just a bit of kahki brown lacing around the edges. Deep dark brown and malty without any light shining thru!

S- Coffee and burnt malts... nothing else, just coffee. No depth, no other flavors in the nose. I understand what this is... I just didn't realize that it would only hit one note!

T- Uhmmm... Dark roasted coffee... just a hint of sour cherry. Over-powering coffee! Bitter!!! No caramel creme, no Cocoa... just bitter, day old coffee with a touch of sourness.

M- Acrid and bitter... was I supposed to add cream and sugar to this? Sour coffee is not something a beer should be proud of!

O- This is pretty damn awful!!! Raisin and bitter coffee is not what you wanna wake up too, or say goodnite with!!! I feel like putting a drop or two of coffee creamer in it just to make it drinkable!

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip, dark brown with very little tan head. Nice coffee smell--very appealing but not a lot of depth. Fantastic coffee flavor with just enough carbonation to back up a nice creaminess.

Thanks to pocwolf for sending this as an extra! Definitely a delicious treat and very drinkable.

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

I got this one a while back from lewis1rg. Thanks Ryan!

A: Poured abysmally black, with absolutely no head to speak of. I let is sit for a second, then I got a mild light brown ring around the brew.

S: Big coffee aroma, with a bit of a "Mallow Creme" quality about it. Also, I got some of that unique sourness that often get from Shorts stuff.

T: Yep, sourness in the shallow background. Sort of an off-kilter Flanders Aud Bruin imbedded in nice stout. Nice coffee taste.

M: Thick, and the sour aftertaste (which may not have been intentional), and very creamy. The carbonation was low, yet that was appropriate in this setting. No lacing.

O: I used to think that most of Shorts brews were infected, and I guess most are. However, they did a brewery takeover at Churchkey here in DC last month, I sampled tons of their brews, and I'm now think that the sourness is just part of their taste profile. What do you think?

4.11/5  rDev +2%

12oz. bottle, poured into a Duvel tulip at cellar temperature.

Appearance- Pours a dark black colour, with absolutely no light penetrating any angles of this one, average pour yields a finger of dark brown head that quickly dissipates to a very small ring around the glass leaving very minimal to no lacing throughout till finish.

Smell- A very nice coffee smell coming from this one, I rather like it to be honest, it’s not overly bitter like a lot of coffee stouts can be but it smells nice and sweet. Nice roasted malt flavours as well with a small hint of dark chocolate in there also; it really does smell like a sweet milky iced coffee that you buy from the store not some bitter cold coffee smell.

Taste- Is pretty much just like the aromas, the coffee in this one actually tastes good and is well balanced, milky sweet coffee flavours paired with a nice roasted malt flavour that finishes almost sweet on the palate, no bitter coffee tastes here just a good tasting iced coffee flavour, some dark chocolate flavours hidden in there as well; a very well balanced coffee stout.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied that goes down nice and silky smooth, very creamy on the mouth feel as well with average carbonation.

Overall- I am very impressed by this one, this is a nice sweet, milky, sugary stout that is not overly bitter on the coffee but on the contrary it was like I went to McDonalds and bought an iced coffee, it was just so well balanced and perfect on the palate, the smells are not overly complex but this one really shines through in the tastes. A great beer that was picked up at a great price and I would definitely pick this one again once I run out. Congrats Short’s this one is definitely a winner in my books.

3.89/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Darkness snifter

A- Very dark, motor oil appearance, no lacing at all, slight carbonation, no apparent lacing, looks very thick.
S- Strong roasted coffee aroma up front, slight bitter sweet aroma as well, malts are present, as well as hints of chocolate.
T- Tastes as it smells, nice crisp coffee taste, very roasty and slight bitterness, with malt characteristics as well.
M- Medium mouth feel, smooth, crisp, slightly carbonated.
O- Very surprising, not the biggest coffee fan, but this was tasty, very roasty, love the strong coffee taste.

3.52/5  rDev -12.7%

Thanks to redsand22 for this!

Appearance:
Dark brown, opaque, and a small amount of tan head. Pretty standard for the style.

Smell:
Coffee and condensed milk. Slightly sweet. It's kind of like a a creamy iced coffee smell. No hop presence here.

Taste:
Still, no noticeable hops, but no issues here. Lots of coffee, some creamy milkiness hanging around with it. Again, like a coffee with cream. That's the best way to describe this. Semi sweet with some chocolate notes in the background too.

Mouthfeel:
Thickish, more like the milk than the coffee. I suspect that lactose is an ingredient here. Mediumish carbonation.

Overall:
Not bad, but I'll admit that I take my coffee black. Milk stouts have never been my thing, but this is certainly ranking above most of them.

3.21/5  rDev -20.3%

A :Pitch black beer with a one finger creamy, dense and copmact, beautiful head that lasts reasonably well, leaving some lacing.
Aroma is, obviously coffee. Unfortunately, coffee and more coffee; you have to really use your imagination to find a tiny little bit of cocoa, roasted malts in there.
Very creamy mouthfeel,
but the flavor, like the aroma, is coffee, more coffee. Everything else is buried in there. Now, it is very good and flavorful coffee, but still, only coffee. No room for complexity.
Some coffee lovers might like it, but in my opinion, if I want pure and simple coffee, I would have, well, coffee.

3.01/5  rDev -25.3%

This was reviewed blind as part of the Blind BIF #5

#4 from johnbjaeger

A - Poured into my pint glass as instructed, the color is a solid black that doesn't let any light shine through at all. There was a brief dark tan foam that quickly faded into nothing but a ring of bubbles around the glass

S - Its like sniffing an ashtray minus the having to stand outside in the cold with your not so well informed friends. Really, thats about all i'm picking up. Not my favorite smell, but lets see what awaits.

T - Now thats weird, there is little to no smoke, its hard to pinpoint any single flavor with this. slightly roasted malts, a hint of citrus here and there. I'm just really confused by this beer. I want to keep drinking it but there is nothing about it that really stands out.

M - smooth and kind of creamy mouthfeel but gives way to a bit of watered down feel. There is a slightly burnt finish that sticks around for a bit.

D - Again, I like it, but I just can't place it. Would I want another? Doubtful.

The reveal
Shorts Cup A Joe Coffee Creme Stout
huh? I guess I can now pick up the roasted coffee, but i'm getting bottom of the pot free coffee that we have at work. I'm really disappointed in this one. I'm glad to try it, I have wanted to for a long time, but its just not what I was expecting.

4/3/3/3.5/2.5

3.53/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Notes from 5/22/11
Poured in to Founder's Tulip glass

A - Dark black with a very small amount of light brown head.

S - Bitter dark roasted coffee completely dominates the palate. Some sweetness is evident as well. Not a very complex nose.

T - Follows the nose. Very bitter dark roasted coffee. Some sweetness in the middle, followed by a dry, bitter coffee finish.

M - Light to medium body; light carbonation.

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Notes from Dec. 2010. Fresh bottle.

Pours pitch black with one finger of quickly dissipating head. Looks nice.

Has a massive coffee nose, similar to Founder's Breakfast Stout. Also, some deep roasted malts, but mostly coffee.

Coffee dominates the taste as well, but the creaminess of the milk sugar adds nice depth and the earthy roasted malts are very nice. Lingering coffee bitterness and some lingering sweetness as well. Nice.

Mouthfeel is actually a bit thin for such a big, flavorful brew.

I could easily start drinking this at breakfast and continue throughout the day. One of Short's best when fresh.

Note: I noticed this one was turning for the worse back in February, so not surprising to see the recent bad reviews. Guess anything with lactose should be consumed fresh.

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Pours a dark hazy coffee grind black with little head, nearly no gas release upon opening.

Aroma of strong bitter iced coffee with no cream or sugar, heavy roasted malt aromas all over.

Taste of straight up cold brewed concentrated coffee. The description says that coffee is used in all different brewing processes during the making of this beer and I believe it. I have had a lot of coffee stouts and this is by far my favorite to date. While coffee stouts are not my favorite style, I do love coffee and clearly enjoy a good beer. This beer does not fall flat in either of those categories. I get a bit of caramel flavors along with coffee flavored malts, and some sweet malty flavors.

While slightly light on the carbonation, I think that it is accurate for the style. I have never had carbonated coffee, so this rings the bell on actually tasting like coffee as supposed to over bittered astringent messes of some coffee stouts that I have had in the past.

Overall very well done by Shorts.

3.15/5  rDev -21.8%

Thanks to NickD717 Tasted on 4/21/11. Reviewed from notes:

A: Pours a thin black w/ a very thin head

S: Strong sugary & espresso smells. Some milky/cream smell

T: Odd creamy taste, coffee bitterness on front end and a little on the back.

M: Very smooth. Thin feel. Very little carbonation

O: This beer is well made and fits the style. It just didn't offer me anything I loved.

Short's Cup A Joe Coffee Creme Stout from Short's Brewing Company