Peaches & Cream | Short's Brewing Company

Liked:
3.85/5
Alströms:

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

I picked up a bottle of Short's Peaches & Cream last week for $2.09 at The Lager Mill. This beer has been on my wishlist for a while and it's been a long time since Short's last bottled this beer, so when I heard bottles started showing up at the store I made sure to grab a couple to try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, early fall 2012 release. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label on this beer is ok, it's a little plain looking, but it still has that Short's look to it. It poured a slightly orange golden color that took on much more of an orange color when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing. This a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a large amount of ripe peaches and a pretty high amount of sweetness that I assume is mainly coming from the milk sugar which imparts a nice creamy and milky aroma with a slight bit of vanilla. Towards the end I get some earthy and slightly spicy hops. I really like the aroma of this beer, it's unique and true to it's name, no complaints here.

T- The aroma seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a large sweet cream and milk like flavor that is followed by some grainy and bready malts and even more sweetness. The peaches quickly show up next and impart a nice ripe peach flavor that tastes natural and are followed by a slight bit of booze and some earthy and spicy hops that stuck out more then expected and helped balance out some of that sweetness while imparting a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness and it had a sweet and creamy peach like aftertaste. This beer tasted good, it was a little on the sweet side , but I expect that from a Short's dessert beer and the extra hops helped balance that out a little, it was good and true to it's name.

M- Fairly smooth, a little sticky, on the lighter side of being full bodied, with slightly lower amount of medium carbonation that worked well with this beer. This beer had a good mouthfeel that worked nicely with what this beer was going for.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of a proper dessert beer, a good fruit beer too, this beer did a great job at staying true to it's name and it was pretty much as advertised minus the extra hops aspects that I wasn't expecting but still I liked it nonetheless and it helped balance out some of that sweetness. This beer had ok drinkability, it went down fairly smooth and it had more then enough flavor to hold my attention, but the high amount of sweetness would prevent me from wanting another one, one of these is just enough and is great choice for an after dinner beer. What I liked most about this beer was the aroma, it was really good and better then I expected. What I liked least about this beer was the high amount of sweetness, it was just a little too sweet for me, but that just means I will only drink one at a time, it didn't hurt the beer that much. I would buy this beer again when looking for a nice dessert beer, but who knows when it will be released again and the store already sold out so i'm glad I picked up a few while they were around, I recommend this to anyone wanting just what's advertised, but you can't be afraid of a little sweetness. All in all I was satisfied with this beer, it lived up to it's name and it met my expectations, great work Short's, beers like this is why i say nobody makes a dessert beer that is so much like the dessert that's intended like Short's does, this was another winner from that crazy brewery up north.

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2012 bottle

A - Pours golden orange with half a finger of short-lives white head.

S - Sweet malts, some peaches that smell a bit like peach cobbler (a bit syrupy) and some alcohol in the nose. Also a faint earthy bitterness.

T - Initially very sweet, almost syrupy. After the initial sweetness, peaches flavors emerge, along with some faint hops, a slight aspirin taste and quite a bit of booze. The finish reminds me of the taste of a peach pit. The lactose presence is noticeable but modest.

M - Fuller mouthfeel than I was expecting. Initially sticky sweet, but finishes bitter and slightly astringent with a considerable booziness.

O - Seems like a beer with a lot of potential, but falling short in the execution. Still good, but too much booze and aspirin taste. Thinning this out with a bit less malt to give a lighter mouthfeel could also improve this.

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a crystal-like shade of copper and orange, thin, wispy, white head that settles quick but leaves some decent lacing all the way down the glass. The nose on this beer is GREAT. Some fruit/vegetable beers suffer from having aromatics that are oft too artificial; impure, contrived, forced - this beer, however, hits the mark. The peach aroma hits the nose like a fresh peach, picked straight from the tree. No medicinal or chalky tones - very pure and welcomed, but not overpowering or cloying. Some bread-like aromas go hand in hand from the yeast, balancing the nose perfectly.

The taste IS the aroma in flavor form - the mouth follows the nose perfectly, making for a nice hand-in-hand combination from the senses that really makes the beer come alive. Sweet, ripe peaches, crisp carbonation, bread and biscuity yeast, plentiful malts and barley, and balancing woody-earth tones. Some slight warmth from the alcohol, gives the "fruit" beer some meatiness and an extra leg to stand on (as if it needed one). Slightly syrupy, silky feel with a medium body.

I normally do not care for fruit beers, oftentimes because the "fruit" element isn't done properly. But this beer hits a homerun as far as fruit beer goes. This is the benchmark for how this style should be done. Powerful, but not dominant; smooth and pure. Watch out, at an almost unnoticeable 9.5% ABV, this beer will kick your ass.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Interesting beer. Has a sweet peachy flavor to it. Nice smell and mouthfeel as well.

4.32/5  rDev +12.2%

Big thanks to Randy for passing along this rarity, bottle #370.

We've got a gusher! As I poured it into the glass, the head was at least 4 inches and larger than the amount of beer. The color is a slightly deep hazy amber and the head takes forever to dissipate and leaves very good lacing.

I wouldn't have needed to see the bottle to know there is a ton of peaches in this bad boy as I could smell them across the room. There is hint of the alcohol which burns the nose slightly as well as some sweet malts in the background.

The taste has a deeper, more sugary sweetness than the aroma with the peaches mixing with the dark caramel malts and maybe even some molasses. There is a bit of the lactose creaminess in the finish but the peaches are certainly the most evident flavor.

The mouthfeel is highly carbonated and medium bodied with a lingering fruity sweetness in the finish.

I feel like a broken record saying I'm impressed by the creativity of the Shorts folks, but it almost goes without saying. This is a very sweet beer and that may linger the drinkability a little bit, but the flavors are big and meld together well.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1497th Review on BA
Bottle to Goblet
12oz

No bottle date- Although I know its 2012 Release

Thanks to ErikKoppin for this one

App- A almost pure liquid gold color on the pour. Maybe at best a 1/2 finger kind of tan/off white head formed and was gone. Creamy sherry/whiskey/cordial coloring to it. No cling. Shimmery.

Smell- For me this was a tad over sweet. I posted on Untappd that this smelled like those liquid peach rings from when we were kids. Was a unique smell, just wasnt for me. A big mix of sugary milk on the aromatics

Taste- I really enjoyed the 1st couple sips on this one. The golden ale with a little bit of yeast shined through when cold. However, when warm it was much more malty, sweet, sugar and milk. It really did assault on taste. I like sweet too as I loved ST Creme Brulee. I could only do 6oz. As I mentioned much better cold.

Mouth- A fairly light medium body with a overall medium light cordial carbonation. The residual booze was there along with a yogurt tinge and of course the peaches.

Drink. Unique, tasty but too sweet for me and thats saying something for me.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

4.29/5  rDev +11.4%

Big thanks to OHLRangers.

A: Pours a nice light amberish hue with a light white head.

S: Peach, peach, and more peach. Very peachy with subtle notes of fresh cream. Light wheat notes, a touch of tart.

T: Very much peach mostly sweet, but there is a very subtle tart element in the taste as well. Dried apricots make an appearence with a nice milky creamy quality. Fruity, malty, creamy, good!

M: Rather light to be honest, sort of snappy carbonation.

D: Not bad, I really liked this one.

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

750ml bottle acquired in trade with hoppymeal (thanks!). Bottle # 155 / 820.

Poured a lighter and cloudy golden / amber color with a smaller sized white head. Aromas of peaches, lactose, caramel, and just like a peach pie. Tastes of peaches, lactose, and vanilla. Had a nice sweetness to it. I usually don't like peaches, but this beer rocked (I found myself wanting more and more with every sip)!

Notes from 3/14/08

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

Thanks to corby112 for bringing this 750ml bottle to our tasting on 1/23/11.

A - Poured a hazy coppery orange with a mammoth three-finger wall of beige foam that retained quite well and deposited plenty of frothy, sticky lacing around the glass.

S - Mmmm... fresh, juicy ripe peaches abound with a hint of vanilla/lactose. My first whiff of this beer reminded me of walking into a local "head" shop, only to be greeted by the aroma of incense and patchouli.

T - There's that fresh, juicy peach character again. The pairing peaches and vanilla works extremely well here, creating an intensely flavorful beer that makes the detection of alcohol virtually impossible. This is a sweet beer for sure, but there is just a smidgen of tartness in the backend that adds some depth and prevents this from becoming too overly sweet.

M - Medium bodied that's pushing toward full-figured with a syrupy texture that is actually kind of sticky and juicy. Texture is pretty smooth and creamy overall, though. Finishes with a hint of bitterness and a pleasant wash of tartness on the palate.

D - I was surprised to find that the ABV for this beer was 9.5%! Wow! Peaches & Creme is a delicious fruit beer with an authentic peach flavor and aroma. Melt down a creamsicle, add alcohol, bottle it, and that's what this beer replicates!

4.49/5  rDev +16.6%

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

Thanks to corby112 for cracking out this one.

A-Hazy copper kissed orange with a thick and foamy off-white head that slowly reduced to a dense cap and left thick swaths of lace behind.

S-Who let me loose in the orchard? Massive, ripe peach goodness melds with creamy sweet lactose and vanilla syrup topping. How can this with years of age on it retain so much aroma?

T-BAM! More of the same on the palate with a James and the GIANT peach pounding your tongue! Sweet cream and vanilla adds complexity and balance with just a hint of lactic twang in the background.

M-Medium bodied (more than I had anticipated) with a semi-syrupy, ooey gooey sticky texture, akin to a liquefied peach cobbler. Juicy and rich without becoming overwhelming.

D-Damn! Joe does it again with a crazy combo and comes out on top! This one has some serious age on it and it still is amazing. I can only imagine how awesome this one would have been fresher. Peaches and Creme is a no holds barred, lactose laden, fruit barrage that takes no prisoners!

4.11/5  rDev +6.8%

A - Murky amber, nice, solid off white head, retains for some time. Leaves disk and lots of lace.

S - Bright fresh malt, citrus.

T - Malty, but mostly creamy. Really creamy.

M - As I said, really creamy. Round flavors, bitter battles sweet well.

D - Too creamy for me, in general. Nice to try.

Peaches & Cream from Short's Brewing Company