Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Imperial Spruce India Pilsner | Short's Brewing Company

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Pilsner

Availability: Summer

Original batch (from Imperial Series--750 ml bottles) was 10% abv. New, 2010, 12 oz. bottles are 7.15% abv.

Added by hoppymeal on 06-30-2007

4.5

1.75/5  rDev -55.4%

1.75/5  rDev -55.4%

2.07/5  rDev -47.2%

By far my least favorite beer from Shorts and possibly anyone excluding macros. The spruce is just waayyy too much for me

2.42/5  rDev -38.3%

pour is a pale yellow, hazed, with a thin bubbly white head. Nose is piney and different, fair amount of pine with light lemon and herbal hop, notes of pepper. Taste is heavy pine sol, some lemon and pepper, body is syrupy and disjointed, favors are off putting and harsh, harsh carbonation, overly piney and artificial chemical notes.

2.5/5  rDev -36.2%

Another in the imperial series I decided to open up last night. This one I was rather waiting for to be honest as I have had poor luck with spruce in general, but alas here we go, what a mess. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 06/04/2009.
The pour was the best part, crystal clear amber with a nice head of white on top that only barely settled down as the night went on. Amazing clear copper color though. The aroma as well, loaded down with spruce and piney like aromas had a decent malt balance to it that gave it a thick, yet not overwhelming profile. Then I took a sip. Then I gagged. Wow, talk about overkill here. It was spruce alright, like drinking the water in my tree stand. Way too harsh and obnoxious here, almost no balance to it at all, it was just harsh, harsh spruce tip and car air freshener like taste. Wow. Light body and the alcohol was hidden well but this was just flat out undrinkable. Very rarely could I ever say that, but this was undrinkable.
Overall would have been better served by being toned down a good bit, but it was just way overboard. Sometimes you don't need to go soo big with things,

2.54/5  rDev -35.2%

I liked the look of this when poured. Poured a orange hazy color. But the smell of the spruce tips just was overpowering. I like spruce tip beer but this beer smells and tastes like bad cologne. The spruce taste was overpowering to the point that I had to pour this beer out.

2.61/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

I had a fantastic spruce beer at Founders three weeks ago, which led me to try this one. This was altogether different, like chewing on raw spruce. If you like Greek Retsina wine you may like it. I didn't.

2.75/5  rDev -29.8%