Bloody Beer | Short's Brewing Company

Bloody BeerBloody Beer

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: Fruit and Field Beer

Bloody Beer is a lighter bodied beer with an appealing ruby red glow. Fermented with Roma tomatoes, and spiced with dill, horseradish, peppercorns and celery seed, a prominent aroma of spicy tomato juice emits from the beer. The intense initial tomato flavor is followed by a lingering finish that allows each additional ingredient a chance to resonate on the palate. When slightly warm, this 2009 Great American Beer Festival silver medal winner’s magnitude of flavors can be fully appreciated.

Bloody Beer was beer number 8 of 13 from our 2007 Imperial Beer Series and it was the 290th batch of beer ever brewed at Short’s.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 100 | Ratings: 212
Reviews by Avagadro:
3.06/5  rDev -10%

A: Short's Bloody Beer boasts the most unique color I've seen in my glass, with its murky blood-orange body penetrated by a touch of lazy lacing. There is no head whatsoever.

S: The aroma is... surprisingly ale-like, and dominated by toffee and biscuit.

T: The malty ale qualities persist, with more caramel and toast. I get hints of pepper and horseradish here and there, but, for the most part, they are so faint that they are imperceptible.

M: The body is slightly bigger than usual, due to the tomato, but is fairly lackluster otherwise. I was hoping for some viscosity, as I enjoy in my Zing-Zang bloodies.

O: Short's played me wrong here, promoting a beer that, by name, was sure to be extreme in nature. What I received, however, was a duck out. They took the flavors boasted on the packaging; the pepper, tomatoes, dill, and horseradish; and dialed them down so low that no one would be able to tell that they were there. I have to admit, the prospect of a Bloody Mary beer frightened me, despite my passion for this mid-day indulgence. Hopefully someone out there can make one that actually resembles this delicious cocktail.

4.37/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Ok. So.... I was not expecting to like this beer at all. Had on tap at Shorts!! August 2015. Ive always seen the wall sign...but....never....ever.... had the pleasure of drinking this beer... until NOW! :)

Let me also add that I do not enjoy drinking any liquor at all.. and have never had an actual bloody mary ... ever. Well.... maybe a sip and a EW WTF face followed........... hmmm ..

With that out of the way....

Pours a light red/orange with minimum head n little lacing. Nice.

Smells like spicy tomato...tomato juice.. citrus.. some pepper

Taste is tomato... spice..peppercorn... light hop presence... can even pick up the dill / celery a bit which is awesome! Not overpowering.. just there.. how cool. The horseradish actually adds a bit of spice also in the mix... a little nose stinging is there on the initial taste.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly good. Not watery like expected. Spice and tomato... peppercorn... mmm.

Overall this beer is great. Must try. Please bottle it Short's ! :) A+

2.39/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Right away, I'll say I like this beer far less than I'm indicating with the scores.

Appearance: Pours with basically no head, and no lacing. Extremely hazy orange color.

Smell: Actually smells pretty good. Smells mostly like a "normal" beer, but with a bit of pepper and maybe even the dill in the aroma as well.

Taste/feel: This is odd to me. Initially, I was actually surprised. I liked it. Then after about a third of the bottle, I just had had enough. I really think it was the aftertaste that got me. When you first sip it, it's great. As a pickle brine lover (it's sort of a sick fetish, really), this beer made my mouth water when I first took a sip. Nice and sour with the dill. The taste as it sits on your tongue is a lot like V8 juice, which I don't love, but I can live with. The after taste though... I'm not sure what it was. I think it was because to me it tasted like raw tomatoes, and I just hate tomatoes (Despite loving tomato soup and ketchup). The feel makes this one super drinkable if you're a fan of the style. The alcohol is also extremely well hidden, as I wouldn't have guessed the ABV was so high.

Basically, my review doesn't help anybody who's not too high on tomatoes. If you like V8 juice AND pickles, you should really enjoy this beer. For me, I only like pickles. Needless to say, this unfortunately resulted in a drainpour after a few sips into the glass.

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

3.47/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

2.55/5  rDev -25%

I think this may be the absolutely worst beer I have ever had (other than a failed home brew perhaps). Sure, this was a specialty beer, and I knew that when I bought it. I wasn't expecting too much, but thought it would be better than it was. The appearance, smell, mouthfeel and even the initial taste was ok. I could smell the tomatoes, and there was a definite Bloody Mary flavor in the beginning. But the aftertaste...argh! I couldn't get rid of it. It was sour, almost rotten tasting.

Some of you may be thinking that I don't like bloody Mary's or don't know what a good Bloody Mary taste like. Trust me, I know my bloody Mary's!

Ok, perhaps I got a bad bottle....possible, particularly since others liked it, but I don't think I am going to risk trying it again.

1.5/5  rDev -55.9%

2.25/5  rDev -33.8%

3.46/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

4.25/5  rDev +25%

3.52/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%