Bloody Beer | Short's Brewing Company

shortsbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by hoppymeal on 09-06-2007

1.38/5  rDev -60.3%

This was brought out by Normyk at his house while we were all over there for a tasting on 3/5/11. I must say, I probably was the only one super excited to try this one. I guess my curiosity is much more morbid than most. For the record, I absolutely HATE bloody marys. A good early morning cocktail? Yeah, if you like to start your day with nausea.

About 3 oz into a sampler tulip. Trust me 3 oz was enough to review this one. Its a sipper, but for unique reasons.

A- Others commented on the floaties in this beer. Floaty might be a different term than I would use because it doesnt look like some bottle conditioning yeast got mixed into the pour. Its more like "sporadic haziness". This beer would be clear if it werent for tons of grains of what looks like salt suspended in its body. Maybe this beer comes pre-garnished with undissolved celery salt. I dunno, its bizarre.

S- Geeeze. Another instance where my nose is telling my brain to avoid consuming this stuff at all costs. True, it does smell a lot like a bloody mary, but its just a shame that bloody marys smell like the trash can outside a vegan's house. Plenty of Tabasco, which is fine, but then there comes a time and a place for Tabasco. There is also lots of dill. Pickles, man! Tomato juice or V-8 with lots of salt and pepper.

T- Before my brain shifts into fight-or-flight mode, I take a sip. The first one was too quick, ripping-off-a-band-aid style. I slowed it down, thinking of all the starving children in the world. Some mixed vegetable juice builds the body of the flavor, a rancid pedestal on which pickle juice flavoring stands. The dill accosts my palate like a soccer hooligan who's drunk on fermented trash.

M- Ironically I found the mouthfeel to be the worst part of this beer. The whole time drinking this I was still able to tell myself that they reached their goal of making a bloody mary beer, despite how gross it is.
But what would a gross beer be without a thoroughly gross mouthfeel? This one brings it. People talk about slick mouthfeels, this one is SLIMY. For a comparison, go deep inside an underground cave and just start licking the walls, paying close attention to the big, sweaty stalactites hanging from the ceiling.

D- What the dill were they thinking!?

1.5/5  rDev -56.9%

1.5/5  rDev -56.9%

1.52/5  rDev -56.3%

12oz. bottle poured into a nonic. Thanks to steebo777 for the bottle!

(A)- Pours a clear orange color that produced some white bubbles.

(S)- This smells like a vegetable and herb garden put-together. Earthy tomatoes and spices. Very weird but interesting.

(T)- Very veggie oriented with a very heavy dose of dill and pepper spice.

(M)- A good carbonation level. This is just plain weird. Its like they mashed up a veggie and herb garden and brewed it with a really simple base beer. Bitter, spicy, and tomatoes.

(D)- If someone can enjoy this, then all the power to you, however this for me almost activates a gag reflex. I realize this was made to try and depict a bloody mary, but at the same time you REALLY gotta like dill because it is really overwhelming in this.

1.75/5  rDev -49.7%

2.03/5  rDev -41.7%

Pours very orange red with a small head, and average lacing. Average carbonation with a sweet spicy smell of celery and dill. Tastes bitter and spicy...like the kitchen floor an Italian restaurant. This is strange and tastes like thanksgiving turkey stuffing. Best use maybe for cooking???

2.29/5  rDev -34.2%

Pours a darkish copper-orange color with a thick white head, decent lacing. The nose is very interesting, and actually smells pretty good. Loaded with massive peppercorn aroma, dill, basil, roasted tomato and peppers. Doesn't smell much like a beer, more like a meal. Very intriguing. The taste... Full on tomato juice. Heavy, heavy, HEAVY tomato juice. Peppercorns are also heavy, but I feel it's mostly a perception thing since they are so heavy in the aroma. Picking up a very, very faint hint or horseradish spice at the start, dill seasoning and leafy celery comes in midway through, along with an overpowering sweetness, most likely from the tomatoes. There's also a massive saltiness to this beer, almost tastes like you're taking a swig of brine. Medium body, overall low carbonation.

I commend Short's for their crazy experimental brew. I wasn't a fan of this one, but I don't love Bloody Mary's to begin with, so maybe that's the problem. I was expecting a beer with some Bloody Mary hints and tones. Rather this was like a Bloody Mary with almost no hint of beer. And even for a Bloody Mary, the tomato juice aspect was a bit overpowering. I respect the effort, but personally, this one was difficult to finish.

2.39/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Right away, I'll say I like this beer far less than I'm indicating with the scores.

Appearance: Pours with basically no head, and no lacing. Extremely hazy orange color.

Smell: Actually smells pretty good. Smells mostly like a "normal" beer, but with a bit of pepper and maybe even the dill in the aroma as well.

Taste/feel: This is odd to me. Initially, I was actually surprised. I liked it. Then after about a third of the bottle, I just had had enough. I really think it was the aftertaste that got me. When you first sip it, it's great. As a pickle brine lover (it's sort of a sick fetish, really), this beer made my mouth water when I first took a sip. Nice and sour with the dill. The taste as it sits on your tongue is a lot like V8 juice, which I don't love, but I can live with. The after taste though... I'm not sure what it was. I think it was because to me it tasted like raw tomatoes, and I just hate tomatoes (Despite loving tomato soup and ketchup). The feel makes this one super drinkable if you're a fan of the style. The alcohol is also extremely well hidden, as I wouldn't have guessed the ABV was so high.

Basically, my review doesn't help anybody who's not too high on tomatoes. If you like V8 juice AND pickles, you should really enjoy this beer. For me, I only like pickles. Needless to say, this unfortunately resulted in a drainpour after a few sips into the glass.

2.4/5  rDev -31%

Got this as an extra in a recent trade. Poured into a mini pint.

A - Pours pale yellow, with some red accents mixed in, with little to no head leaving no lacing down the glass.

S - Some course ground black pepper and horseradish heat up front mix with the tomato's, a good amount of them, to make it seem like a bloody mary. I would say it smells closer to a 50/50 mix of beer and bloody mary.

T - Well that was about as good as I thought it would be. Plenty of tomato pulp and skins, spicy black pepper and horseradish, and some dill and other herbs. This one really did a number on my pallet. I am not a fan of this one.

M - Medium light body with heavy, viscous, flavors; moderate carbonation. The over the top flavors wore my pallet down quite quickly.

D - One and done. I was not a fan. I love pizza and bloody mary's but this one really didn't do it for me. I still wanna try some of the other short's beers before I pass judgement on them but this was not a good start.

2.49/5  rDev -28.4%

Hazy apricot color with a white head that quickly dissipates. Smell of tomato paste, celery, radish, and some other spice I can't quite pick out. Taste is much of the same, but I also get a bit of cracked peppercorn that adds a bit of a bite to it. Body is light and carbonation is medium. Not a big fan of this beer.

2.55/5  rDev -26.7%

I think this may be the absolutely worst beer I have ever had (other than a failed home brew perhaps). Sure, this was a specialty beer, and I knew that when I bought it. I wasn't expecting too much, but thought it would be better than it was. The appearance, smell, mouthfeel and even the initial taste was ok. I could smell the tomatoes, and there was a definite Bloody Mary flavor in the beginning. But the aftertaste...argh! I couldn't get rid of it. It was sour, almost rotten tasting.

Some of you may be thinking that I don't like bloody Mary's or don't know what a good Bloody Mary taste like. Trust me, I know my bloody Mary's!

Ok, perhaps I got a bad bottle....possible, particularly since others liked it, but I don't think I am going to risk trying it again.

Bloody Beer from Short's Brewing Company