Bloody Beer | Short's Brewing Company

Bloody BeerBloody Beer

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Bloody Beer is a lighter bodied beer with an appealing ruby red glow. Fermented with Roma tomatoes, and spiced with dill, horseradish, peppercorns and celery seed, a prominent aroma of spicy tomato juice emits from the beer. The intense initial tomato flavor is followed by a lingering finish that allows each additional ingredient a chance to resonate on the palate. When slightly warm, this 2009 Great American Beer Festival silver medal winner’s magnitude of flavors can be fully appreciated.

Bloody Beer was beer number 8 of 13 from our 2007 Imperial Beer Series and it was the 290th batch of beer ever brewed at Short’s.

Added by hoppymeal on 09-06-2007

3.57/5  rDev +5%

12oz. bottle served into a pint glass

Pours an awkward darkish yellow. There is a bit of red after the sediment from the bottom of the bottle gets poured in. Cloudy red, like a blood fart. Meh. Not bad.

Let this one warm up. The aromas and flavors absolutely pop with some warmth. Lots of savory tomatoes. Basil, dill pickle. Horseradish absolutely pops out of the glass. The aromas are pretty nicely achieved but the flavors are stupendous. I say this as someone who doesn't even like bloody marys. Short's has nailed what they're trying to achieve here. So much horseradish and tomato spicy/savory goodness. I could never finish a bottle myself, but plenty of people are going to want to.

I have to score the drinkability as average. I have to. It's my own fault for not liking bloody marys. For someone who doesn't, this beer is crazy undrinkable. For those who love them, this will be a pleasant drink (though I don't know why they wouldn't just opt for a real bloody mary. The malt flavors are totally obscured by the spices and tomato). I evened it out to a 3.0.

Strange, but successful, experimental beer. I would love to try their Key Lime Pie beer now that I know Short's can pull off something like this.

4.19/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A - Cloudy dark amber with a touch of red, tons of visible sediment (i.e., individual particles), decent head which shrinks quickly, fair lacing

S - Tomato juice, yeast, pepper, and celery salt

T - Tomatoes, garlic --> pickles, horseradish, salt & pepper --> yeast and grainy malts --> Robust tomato juice & citrus hops on the back end, resulting in a rich, soupy, pleasantly bitter finish.

M - Body isn't thick, but there is definitely some chewiness. Good carbonation. The variety of flavors in this reward swishing around in the mouth.

D - This is so tasty that one is perfect to savor. That said, if I had regular access, having a couple wouldn't be a problem - again, I'm a Bloody Mary fan, so I'm biased.

What an interesting beer! If you're a fan of Bloody Marys, you need to try this. Short's has pulled off a bona fide replacement beer for my favorite mixed drink - I'll revisit this whenever given the opportunity. And I'll be adding dried habanero flakes or powder - adds heat without ruining the flavor.

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

A_Burnt orange with a thin white head. No lacing. Red floaties. Im guessing tomato peel.

S_Smell is exactly that of a bloody mary. Tomato juice,celery seed,pepper and alcohol.

T_Same as nose. Tomato,celery seed, pepper,horseradish.Very bold flavor. Sligh heat.

M_A little thicker than I would prefer.

D_One is good enough for me.

Not much of a bloody Mary man myself. Actually I don't drink any liquor at all. But this beer is spot on for what shorts was aiming for.

4.07/5  rDev +19.7%

A dark amber pumpkin orange color with a slight off white head covering a plethora of still floating sediment like pieces of fruit in a jello mold. Celery salt, peppercorn, and dill waft into the nose very defiantly giving you the impression of a double dog dare from the sent to sample the flavor. A very subtle yet still very upfront amount of spice in this. Short's is really good at combining spices without leaving too much of a spice heartburn in my throat. It is my guess that the horseradish is to blame for the burn that rises as the tomato taste that lingers after the initial spice blast resides. It is quit considerable in its thickness being a beer. I don't think I could drink more than one in a row of these, but for what it is it is a well made beer.
Cheers.

3.07/5  rDev -9.7%

12oz bottle of the 2010 release shared by sarro - thanks, Kyle!

Pours a hazy, burnt orange color with a light white head that sticks around on the edges only. Not much by way of lacing. Smells like, well, a bloody mary. Tomato juice and celery seed dominate, but you can really pick up the horseradish, cracked pepper and dill as well. Taste is much the same with tomato juice and celery seed up front and the dill and cracked pepper on the midpalate. The horseradish really shows up in the finish with more spicy tomato juice and celery seed lingering on the finish. Light bitterness with some spice on the finish make it rather unpleasant for me. This could be because I don't care much for tomato juice/bloody marys, but I really disliked the finish. Surprisingly light-bodied with moderate carbonation and a balanced finish. There is a light boozy warmth on the palate. For me, this is not very drinkable at all - I labored to get through my 4 oz. pour. I think Short's did a pretty good job at replicating a bloody mary in beer form here, but there is just something that really awkward and off-putting about the flavors. Worth a try for novelty even if you don't like bloody marys, but you should definitely seek this out if you are a fan of the drink.

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

Wow... this beer is extremely interesting! I poured this one and I smelled it and was taken back by it. Needless to say I'm glad I tried this one but definitely don't want another one. It was everything I expected... pretty much a good beer spilled into a good bloody mary... To most if a beer spilled into your bloody mary you'd dump it but this is the case where it happened and you though, 'maybe I should just go ahead and drink it?' and then you did.

3.17/5  rDev -6.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a Rochefort chalice.

Appearance: Beer pours a golden color till the glass fills up a little more, then turns into a dark pumpkin color. Plenty of small bits of sediment at the bottom of this bottle which stay suspended. This beer is pretty transparent. Tiniest bit of head after a hard pour which dissipates after a few seconds. No lacing.

Smell: Going to take my time with this one. Strong odor of fresh stewed tomatoes. Celery, fresh ground black pepper. Plenty of herbal notes.

Taste: Lots of tomatoes right off the bat. A warm and lively flavor. Wow, impressive. Plenty of herbal spices, dill pickles, finishes with a nice dash of pepper, a little alcohol. I don't get any heat, no horseradish or tabasco. Good taste though.

Mouthfeel: Light body with a medium carbonation. Taste lingers for a while. There is significant sour taste in the back of my throat that I'm not crazy about.

Overall: Same as a bloody mary for me. One and done. It would be tough for me to drink two of these. Gotta give it up to Shorts though for always coming up with new beers that push the envelope and our taste buds.

3.95/5  rDev +16.2%

An ultra-fresh 12 oz. bottle recently released.

Pours a dirty light copper with very good clarity. The very light beige head stays sturdy at 1" with a beautiful density & creaminess. Nice rings of lace all the way down.

Very, very accurate representation of scents which are listed on the bottom of the front label; Roma tomatoes, peppercorns, celery seed & dill. Horseradish is also listed, but I'm not smelling that one. Let's hope I can taste it.

Very peppery (just how I prefer my bloody's) with a nice dill element in there. The tomatoes are very well-rounded and almost stewed tasting - in that the acidity is nicely cut/quelled. The celery seed is very realistic/accurate and very well placed in this mixture. As this beer warms, the horseradish does come out right at the end. I believe Short's didn't want the Horseradish to steal the show, and they've done a great job in placing it last.

Mouthfeel is very airy and pretty spot-on medium bodied. Carbonation is very fine and at a moderate level. The lush, SAVORY tomato flavors and all its glorious spices linger long into the finish.

Drinkability is very good for such an odd specialty beer. I will have no problem drinking this, but will not long for another right after.

Overall this beer a spectacular representation of the listed ingredients. There is nothing fake or contrived tasting about this ale. The ingredients taste very high quality and are all perfectly balanced. Just like the Strawberry Short's Cake, this baby really delivers what it's advertised to be. To fully appreciate the quality craftsmanship that is Short's, you should really try to get a hold of these and experience the quirky and spectacular world of Short's.

12 oz. bottle.

Hazy, particulate-filled blood orange body with a small, gauzy, off-white head. A very much expected interesting nose: lots of peppercorns, definite tomato juice (sans salt), a little dill, and some vague maltiness. It is what we thought it was!

Brief bready maltiness quickly gives way to tomato juice pulpiness. Spicy peppercorns and tangy dill fill out the palate. Herbal, vegetal bitterness mixes with the peppery spiciness nicely. Lingering tomato in the finish. Good umami in this beer! Medium-full body with a pulpy feel. Well-executed and spot on for what it wants to be. Definitely not an everyday, session beer, but it has its place. I feel like this would pair nicely with pizza, or simply with a late morning hangover. Keep up the great original work Shorts!

2.72/5  rDev -20%

I think we can safely say this is the worlds best tomato beer.

Hazy tomato stained golden yellow body. Two finger white cap with limited retention. Spotty lacing, nothing to write home about.

Not surprisingly Blood Beer smells a lot like a Bloody Mary. Tomato base with all the appropriate spices. Dill, celery and a bit of horseradish are evident. Blindfolded and smelling this I would be hard pressed not to call it a bloody mary mix, although a slightly weaker version.

Tomato, horseradish, dill and peppercorn roll out the glass and across the tongue. Though getting a head of my self a bit, carbonated bloody mary's are not for me, slight seltzer water flavor hangs on the back of the tongue throwing me off. This tastes like Short's Local's Light blended with a bloody mary. Simple may be the best description here.

Light bodied with lively carbonation.Tomato and spice flavor cling to the tongue for a moderately long finish.

I love Short's, this beer is just not for me. Flavors work well in a cocktail but not a beer. The creativity and willingness to experiment should be applauded. With as many homers as this brewery has hit I cannot be too disappointed in one swing and miss. Worth a try, other may appreciate Bloody Beer more than I.

3.67/5  rDev +7.9%

Drank out of pint glass. I really like the look of this beer, once poured and settled. It's a golden-deep orange color, that looks like it has a reddish tint (maybe power of suggestion of imagining the tomatoey taste). Had a nice one inch head after pour, but the neat thing is holding up to light after it's calmed down and seeing the column of suspended essence (spices and whatnot).

Somehow I think sampling this for the first time at 11:00 pm is a bit of a disservice - to me, bloody marys are meant for the morning. In any case the initial take on sticking my nose in the glass is V-8 hopped up on dill, with pepperycorns and horseraddishness quite evident.

Taking the first drink, and my mouth momentarily short circuited. Beer..tomato juice...pickles..really a pleasant chaotic mix. I don't get any of the horseraddish that I smelt.

It has a good mouthfeel to it, and went down easily.

I don't think I could drink multiples of this in a sitting, but it is a pretty awesome way to break up the pleasant monotony of whatever is your normal comfort range of beers.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

New 12 oz release...I think these bottlings of the Imperial series like this one and black licorice should have separate ratings from the originals because of the ABV, but it doesn't seem to be the trend so here we go.

Not sure what to expect from this one as I don't drink Bloody Marys.

The appearance is a nice hazy light amber variable hued monster with floating tomatoe specks if you look very closely and poured vigorously.

The smell is mostly peppercorns. Maybe a little tomato maybe a little dill/celery.

The taste is somewhat overpowering to me although not bad. The palate feels a bit bruised after a few mouthfuls. I don't get any horseradish at all which is the flavor I was most looking forward to.

Mouthfeel is ok..what you'd expect with a decent amount of bubbly.

I don't think this is all that fabulous. Feels overdone to me...I can see where some folks would like it though. I have a raging suspicion that it is going to complement some pizza very well here in a minute though.

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

25.6 oz bottle poured into large snifter. Pours a dark copper orange color, fizzy with medium head.

Smell has a strong presence of dill, celery, and tomato.. very sour and vinegary. Reminiscent of a salad dressing.

Taste is peppery and spicy, with more hints of tomato and dill. Horseradish has a strong presence as well. Finishes slightly bitter. Excellent drinkability, wouldn't have trouble finishing the whole bottle.

A very interesting concept for a beer.

3.9/5  rDev +14.7%

Bottle 606 of 864 purchased at the Bellaire brewpub last summer. Shared with ksak and AnnieSak.

A: The beer has an amber golden glow until the end of the bottle, when yeast takes the ale to a much darker brown. Even before the yeast, the ale was opaque. Two plus fingers of white head came on the first pour and left islands of lace scattered around the mouth of the glass.

S: What an aroma! Ground pepper and horseradish lead the way with ripe tomatoes in pursuit. The ingredients, per the bottle, don't seem appealing but they work.

T: The zestier aspects of the ale come through first. Ground black pepper, sharp with a bit of heat, mixed with horseradish. That is where the heat really kicks up, with the root adding a fiery element. The ale's body, an unlikely blend of malts and tomatos. After a brief tomato interlude, the horseradish and pepper return. The finish has all aspects working together, a bloody mary without the excess booze.

M: The mouthfeel is very spicy, prickly even. The horseradish and pepper, they are zesty and bold, quite a treat.

D: The flavors are bold, so bold tat I was glad to have a few people to share the bottle with.

4.4/5  rDev +29.4%

Huge thanks to jdubfl for bringing all the Short's beers in for a tasting.

A: Pours an orange red hue with a nice tall white head. No real retention or lace.

S: Bloody Mary mix, dill, celery seed, and green peppercorns.

T: Much better than you can imagine. The Short's guys are geniuses to pull this one off in the way they did. Lots of fresh dill up front, followed by fresh real tomato juice. The celery seed is there but much more milder than the other components. The bottle mentions horseradish but I did not pick any up.

M: Medium in body, light carbonation.

D: Good, going to buy more of this one. When you look at the components you would think meh! It is so good though.

4.59/5  rDev +35%

A-Bright, deep copper with a medium light tan head that settled down to a thin cap and left nice webby lace.

S-Aggressive spice kick with definite notes of black pepper and horseradish. Earthy and musty too with just a touch of malt sweetness. Maybe even a hint of celery seed? Not sure I have thought about that in a beer! Very complex and interesting. The more I sniff the more I think, Wow, this really does smell like a spicy bloody mary!"

T-Spicy kick in the palate! Plenty of pepper and horseradish kick in at the start and then mellow into an amalgamation of interesting spicy notes. This is a tough one to pinpoint flavours on. Very interesting, I appreciate the attempt. Maybe just a touch too spicy? Tomato acidity starts to come out with a bit of warming.

M-Medium bodied with a beautiful sharp, crisp bite. Long lasting spicy bitterness. Nice drying finish.

D-Totally solid and interesting brew. Once again Short's practically nails an unusual and interesting fruit/vegetable beer! The more I drink the more I like it. I am a HUGE bloody mary fan so...thanks Joe for another fine product!

4.23/5  rDev +24.4%

Big thanks to Jay23 for grabbing this one!

Striated layers of foam, rings of sticky lace in the glass. Hazy orange with micro sediment and some visible carbonation. Unique aroma, some tomato acidity and celery salt, with an underlying beery maltiness.

Unrivaled herbal spice blend in the flavor, recognizable dill, celery salt, sort of dusty and savory, some tomato acidity again. Leafy garden greenery that is so unique in a beer. Nicely balanced with a firm dry bitterness in the finish. Elements of the whole spice rack, though i'm not getting much pepper. Light bodied and easy drinking, though it may not be for everyone. Pizza beer needs to take notes from Short's...

3.82/5  rDev +12.4%

This one poured lighter a lighter color than I thought, with a really interesting herbal and "fresh garden" sort of smell. Decent carbonation, but no elaborate rocky head or anything. There's some really interesting flavors here (the dill, tellicherry peppercorns and horseradish seem to stand out), but no flavor is too over-powering. It turns out that I like all these unusual flavors in a beer, at least with a salad of tomato and mozzarella with some garlicky breadsticks. Their is a sort of an odd horseradish character that is latent in the finish, but it's not enough to stop me drinking this one. Not too sweet, but certainly not bitter either. Hops are just one of the herbs in this beer kept in balance with all the other flavors. Very tasty and worth seeking out. My bottle was filled in March 2007 and was purchased at the brewery in Bellaire.

4.05/5  rDev +19.1%

Thanks to Deuane for bringing this one back from MI for me. A capped 750ml bottle # 482 of 864. Upon pouring into my shaker glass, the beer appears a rather murky golden honey color with barely a finger of fizzy, quickly fading bone white head. Aromas and flavors consist of spicy cracked pepper, biting, pungent horseradish, tomato pulp and juice, celery, dill, a bit of booze in the nose, sweet malt pokes through the aforementioned , more aggressive flavors. Yep, all the flavors are accounted for here, just like the label states. Certainly tastes like a bloody mary. The only thing missing is a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a few dashes of Tabasco. The finish leaves the tongue and throat tingling from the peppers and horseradish. The beer is nearly full bodied and amply carbonated. Cheers to Joe Short for making such a unique and tasty beer.

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

I'm hoping kbeals is my new Short's connection.. Kevin hooked me up!! 750 bottle shared with inflatablechair, ditmier, and buckeyeboy.. Thanks for hosting Eric.

Poured into my small La Trappe goblet.. golden/amber brew with a descent head with every swirl..

Nose is sorta nasty at first.... takes a bit of coaxing to put my face back on the glass.. peppercorns and celery seed sorta jump out at first.. I guess I'm getting "tomato"... but it's sooo damn weird... I'm having a time with it.

Flavor really is pretty interesting.. more beer than "Bloody Mary"... but the individual components really are there... I actually get the horseradish on the palate.. but a bit of gathering peppercorn and sorta sweet tomato comes in the middle.. celery seed is there and adds a nice bit of spiciness that is very unique.

I'm soooo torn over this one... I dig it for sure.. but I would NEVER be able to finish an entire bottle..

Thanks again Kevin.. interesting... I want a fresh bottle for sure if they ever make it again.

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%

A - 1 finger white head, ample carbonation, copper/amber hue. Quite clear. Good lacing.

S - Tomatoes, yeast, celery, pickles, golden beer. Definitely a sweet yeast vibe that manages to retain a "beer-like" smell.

T - My Chelada review may lead you to think that I'd hate this, but in reality, Short's puts beer first. Starts as a nice blonde, and quickly transforms in a bloody mary. Aftertaste of dill, and celery seed mostly, with tomoato twinges throughout. Major stewed tomato vibe. Actually really well put-together, despite the odd combination.

M - Sparkly and medium bodied.

D - My girlfriend finished about 18 oz. of this bottle, so yeah, she'd say it's drinkable. This was the second bottle I bought for her, mind you. I don't think it's supremely drinkable... however it IS an incredibly well-made beer, and a real treat to try.

Notes: This is the only beer that makes tomatoes an actually viable brewing ingredient. The second some clam juice gets thrown into the mix, I'm jumping out of the car at full speed.

3.92/5  rDev +15.3%

Big thanks to Matthew for hooking me up with this one, a 750mL bottle poured into a snifter.

This one gushed out of the bottle when I pooped the cap. Pours a bright, hazy ruddy orange with a small creamy off-white head that lingers as a small cap and leaves no lacing.

The aroma is interesting and not over-the-top with the bloody mary components. It smells sweeter than I was expecting with dill and celery playing a major role with the tomatoes and pepper showing up in the background. The underlying beer smells are present enough to remind me this is, in fact, a beer.

The taste isn't quite as complex as the aroma for me with plenty of the tomato juice/V8 taste and some celery. The finish is definitely peppery and leaves the slightest tingle on the tongue through the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with good carbonation.

I was expecting an over-the-top "Bloody Mary bomb" when I opened this but I was pleasantly surprised, especially with the aroma. It had all the interesting ingredients and all were very well integrated. It didn't quite come together perfectly in the taste but I'm still glad I got to try this unique beer.

4.29/5  rDev +26.2%

750ml bottle shared courtesy of EDA.

Poured a medium and cloudy orangie color with a small sized off white head. Aromas of celery (freshly cut), tomatoes, and dill. Wow, what a different aroma. Tastes of celery, tomatoes, V8, horseradish, and spices. This one really stood out. Bloody Mary all over it!

Notes from 12/16/07

4.03/5  rDev +18.5%

Received this brew in a trade with BeerTruth. This will be my third Shorts brew and second of the Imperial series. Can't wait to try all of these Imperial brews. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale flute.

Bloody Beer
Date Brewed: 3/22/07
Batch No: 290
Date Bottled: 5/16&17/07
Non Traditional Ingredients: Roma Tomatoes, Horseradish, Dill, Celery Seed and Tellicherry Peppercorns
Imperial Beer 8 of 13
Bottle Number 13 of 864

Appearance- Pours a hazy reddish orange with a nice creamy half finger pinkish white head that recedes VERY slowly. A beautifully creamy cap and collar are left that leaves LOADES of sticky soft lacing.
Smell- Excellent! Spicy from the start as loads of horseradish and pepper really stick out. It's amazing how clean the nose actually is with some light dill and celery seed. Really reminiscent of pickles and honestly I don't really get much tomatoes in the nose. Almost smells a little like pizza sauce.
Taste- The dill and the horseradish really dominate. The dill is a little much as it adds that pickle like sensation I got in the nose. The horseradish is spicy and bitter, although I bet when fresh that bitterness wasn't present. Light tomato and a bit of spice from the peppercorns really do add a nice Bloody Mary aspect to this brew although I think it needs more tomato. Not much in the way of celery seed which is rather surprising considering it's a fairly strong and recognizable spice. I think the horseradish just kind of takes over and covers the celery seed. Finishes with a light lager sweetness and lingering dill/horseradish combo.
Mouthfeel- Not as heavy as you'd think (or I wished) with a light carbonation and very spicy tingle on the tongue.
Drinkability- Normally when I drink bloody beers I either mix some Full Sail Session Lager (when I actually have some) or Red Stripe with some spicy Bloody Mary mix early in the morning to help calm the hangover. I'd probably stick with my combination even if I had another bottle of this. It's really unique and tasty but too much dill and horseradish (and I love both). I also wish it was thicker with some pulpy tomato but I understand it needed filtered to get out all of the spices. Unique, tasty and different but if I need a bloody beer, I'll make my own (I know my finish here seems really negative but I really did enjoy this brew). Big thanks again to my main man Adam!

3.26/5  rDev -4.1%

25.6 ounce bottle acquired in a trade with OHLRangers, thanks to Ed for giving me a chance to try this brew, split among three friends last night, I had about a six to seven ounce serving, 8 of 13, #366 of 864, poured into a oversized wine glass

A-Murky mix between medium orange and gold with reddish tint in the light, dark red sediment floating around as well, 3/4 inch foamy off white head that held its ground, decent retention, not much lacing
S-Lots of pickles, definitely horse radish, tomatoes were not as strong in the aroma as they were in the taste, also some skunkiness, soft malt, and
T-First taste was strong black pepper, then faded into some tomatoes that were pretty citric and not as thick as expected, then horse radish absolutely dominated the finish, the pickles later on were more relish-like than anything and not very strong tasting, somebody at the table mentioned they tasted something similar to tuna out of a can and then I kind of did as well, tasted more like food than any other beer I have had, got more peppery and reliant on the radish as the time went on, never really tasted any celery flavors, definitely a lager in the backbone though and thankfully the veggies were not too overpowering
M-Carbonation seemed just right for this brew, medium bodied, mouthfeel was all over the place but was mostly spicy, also tangy and peppery though, taste did not linger as long as you might think
D-Could just finish what I poured in my glass, taste just gets tiresome when you are not a big fan of any of the vegetables that went into this, although judging by what it was, it was decent, smooth and more on the lager side than it seems, not quite a session beer though, and the ABV is rather high but hidden well

First beer I have tried from Short's and it was an interesting one to say the least, very skeptical about this one after I read the description on the bottle, went well with chips and salsa because the tomatoes just balanced each other out, I am not a fan of Bloody Marys by any means but this was much better than expected, two of the people I shared this with seemed to enjoy it even more than I did, probably will not drink again because of its limited availablity, but that is okay because this was something I am fine with trying once, worth seeking out a bottle of this specialty beer

Bloody Beer from Short's Brewing Company