Bloody Beer | Short's Brewing Company

Bloody BeerBloody Beer

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Bloody Beer is a lighter bodied beer with an appealing ruby red glow. Fermented with Roma tomatoes, and spiced with dill, horseradish, peppercorns and celery seed, a prominent aroma of spicy tomato juice emits from the beer. The intense initial tomato flavor is followed by a lingering finish that allows each additional ingredient a chance to resonate on the palate. When slightly warm, this 2009 Great American Beer Festival silver medal winner’s magnitude of flavors can be fully appreciated.

Bloody Beer was beer number 8 of 13 from our 2007 Imperial Beer Series and it was the 290th batch of beer ever brewed at Short’s.

Added by hoppymeal on 09-06-2007

4.15/5  rDev +22.1%

Poured into a HF stemmed glass. Served at ~ 55F.

A: Orange-red hue, nearly clear in appearance. Pours with a fluffy , but thin head that dissipates to nothingness in a minute or two. As I drank it, this beer left a thin lacing down the sides of the glass.

S: Tomato...yes, surprising, but it is definitely the essence of tomato juice with a touch of celery spice, fresh dill and ground pepper.

T: Reminds me of the base for a nice boody mary. Tomato balanced with herbal notes of dill and celery and a tocuh of spice from pepper and horseradish. The carbonation helps blend the flavors so no single one dominates over the foundation of tomato.

M: Obviously this doesn't have the thick, body of tomato juice and it is carbonated, but that keeps this beer light on the tongue and more drinkable than I expected.

O: This beer exceeded my expectations...surely it can be polarizing and it's not for everyone, but I wondered how tomato could work in a beer...Short's shows that it can be done. Impressive for what it is and surprised it works so well from the bottle.

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is not a bottle I would have ever picked up on my own but I received this as part of a bottle share with a friend of mine. I'm very glad I did. This ale pours a deep reddish hue with very little head and lacing. The aroma is tomatoey and sweet with spicy notes. It sips medium bodied and coats the palate quite well. The flavor is very much that of a well made bloody Mary. Tomato on the front followed by a great amount of celery seed and pepper. I don't get the horseradish mentioned on the label but this bottle is some time old. I despise bloody Mary's (other than when I'm in Vegas) but this ale is delicious and makes me rethink my opinion of its inspiration.

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

4.25/5  rDev +25%

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

2.88/5  rDev -15.3%

Pour is clear orange amber with a tan head. Nose has so much tomato juice and a faint spice to it. Taste has that tomato juice up front with some sweet berry notes and a light peppery spice. Creamy full body, softer carbonation. Strange beer, not my cup of tea.

4.63/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Very small white head on top of orange crystal brew. No lacing.

Amazing amount of peppercorn, sage, spice, celery, tomato, very clean aroma.

Smooth, light, relaxed, no heat, very little bite with wonderful transitions throughout the many flavors. Nailed the flavor, dead on, exactly what I expected and wanted. Tastes just like a a bloody beer (minus some of the spice). Fizzy carbonation slightly detracts, but I can get over it. Zero bitterness, and dry sweetness.

This brew is amazing. I could drink this every day for the rest of my life... If you like Bloody Mary's or Bloody Beers, than this should be considered a MUST TRY!!! A (near) perfect beer from Shorts, Thank you abanton!!!

Bloody Beer from Short's Brewing Company