Bloody Beer | Short's Brewing Company

Added by hoppymeal on 09-06-2007

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

3.47/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 9/19/2012. Pours slightly hazy orange copper color with a 1 finger foamy off white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin lace. Slight spotty lacing clings to the glass. Aromas of tomato, tomato skins, black peppercorn, celery seed, celery stalks, dill, horseradish, and herbal earthiness. Nice and extremely interesting aromas with good strength and balance; all of the spices mentioned on the bottle definitely show up. Taste of roma tomato, black peppercorn, dill, horseradish, celery, celery seed, herbal, grass, light hot sauce, and earthy spiciness. No bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of roma tomatoes, black peppercorn, dill, horseradish, celery seed, grass, herbal, slight hot sauce, and earthy spiciness on the finish for a good bit. Nice and interesting flavors that are robust and well balanced; with zero cloying flavors after the finish. Light-medium cabonation and medium bodied; with a fairly slick and creamy mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a very solid experimental spiced beer. Very unique and interesting; nicely balanced and smooth. I have never had a Bloody Mary before, so I cant comment on that note; but I would still say that they did a good job of what they were after. Fairly enjoyable stuff for me.

1.5/5  rDev -56.9%

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

2.5/5  rDev -28.2%

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

2.29/5  rDev -34.2%

Pours a darkish copper-orange color with a thick white head, decent lacing. The nose is very interesting, and actually smells pretty good. Loaded with massive peppercorn aroma, dill, basil, roasted tomato and peppers. Doesn't smell much like a beer, more like a meal. Very intriguing. The taste... Full on tomato juice. Heavy, heavy, HEAVY tomato juice. Peppercorns are also heavy, but I feel it's mostly a perception thing since they are so heavy in the aroma. Picking up a very, very faint hint or horseradish spice at the start, dill seasoning and leafy celery comes in midway through, along with an overpowering sweetness, most likely from the tomatoes. There's also a massive saltiness to this beer, almost tastes like you're taking a swig of brine. Medium body, overall low carbonation.

I commend Short's for their crazy experimental brew. I wasn't a fan of this one, but I don't love Bloody Mary's to begin with, so maybe that's the problem. I was expecting a beer with some Bloody Mary hints and tones. Rather this was like a Bloody Mary with almost no hint of beer. And even for a Bloody Mary, the tomato juice aspect was a bit overpowering. I respect the effort, but personally, this one was difficult to finish.

3.23/5  rDev -7.2%

Reviewed Blind, courtesy of abraxel:

A: Pours a deep translucent gold with slight brown and red hues. There is about a half finger of head that fades quickly. The foam settles into a thin ring along the edges of the glass. There is minimal lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is peppery (peppercorns), with a bit of added spice, and some sort of tartness. It doesn’t smelly like yeast funk, but there is a weirdness in there that I just can’t seem to put my finger on.

T: It starts out smooth with a lot of fresh cracked pepper to start. As is moves towards the middle of the beer, I get quick brine like tartness, and then I get a bit of spice towards the finish. I reminds me of a Bloody Mary.

M: Medium bodied beer. It’s clean to start, the flavors transition nicely, and the heat lingers for a bit. I’m a big fan of the pepper notes, but there is something about this beer that makes it hard to drink. It’s that acidic bite.

O: This beer isn’t terrible, but it’s just not my thing. I love the pepper in it, but that funk/tart/whatever it is that is in there is a bit off-putting. I’m happy to have tried this, especially blind, but I don’t think I’d want to drink it again.

My guess: Some wacky hybrid Bloody Mary beer.

The reveal: Short’s Bloody Beer. (Specialty beer fermented with roma tomatoes and spiced with tellicherry peppercorns, celery seed, fresh horseradish and dill.)

Damn. No joke. Short’s nailed it. This beer tastes just like a Bloody Mary. Haha.

Bloody Beer from Short's Brewing Company