Bloody Beer | Short's Brewing Company

shortsbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by hoppymeal on 09-06-2007

2.55/5  rDev -26.7%

I think this may be the absolutely worst beer I have ever had (other than a failed home brew perhaps). Sure, this was a specialty beer, and I knew that when I bought it. I wasn't expecting too much, but thought it would be better than it was. The appearance, smell, mouthfeel and even the initial taste was ok. I could smell the tomatoes, and there was a definite Bloody Mary flavor in the beginning. But the aftertaste...argh! I couldn't get rid of it. It was sour, almost rotten tasting.

Some of you may be thinking that I don't like bloody Mary's or don't know what a good Bloody Mary taste like. Trust me, I know my bloody Mary's!

Ok, perhaps I got a bad bottle....possible, particularly since others liked it, but I don't think I am going to risk trying it again.

2.39/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Right away, I'll say I like this beer far less than I'm indicating with the scores.

Appearance: Pours with basically no head, and no lacing. Extremely hazy orange color.

Smell: Actually smells pretty good. Smells mostly like a "normal" beer, but with a bit of pepper and maybe even the dill in the aroma as well.

Taste/feel: This is odd to me. Initially, I was actually surprised. I liked it. Then after about a third of the bottle, I just had had enough. I really think it was the aftertaste that got me. When you first sip it, it's great. As a pickle brine lover (it's sort of a sick fetish, really), this beer made my mouth water when I first took a sip. Nice and sour with the dill. The taste as it sits on your tongue is a lot like V8 juice, which I don't love, but I can live with. The after taste though... I'm not sure what it was. I think it was because to me it tasted like raw tomatoes, and I just hate tomatoes (Despite loving tomato soup and ketchup). The feel makes this one super drinkable if you're a fan of the style. The alcohol is also extremely well hidden, as I wouldn't have guessed the ABV was so high.

Basically, my review doesn't help anybody who's not too high on tomatoes. If you like V8 juice AND pickles, you should really enjoy this beer. For me, I only like pickles. Needless to say, this unfortunately resulted in a drainpour after a few sips into the glass.

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

2.75/5  rDev -21%

3.55/5  rDev +2%

Poured into a pint glass
A: 1/2 finger of off-white head with fair retention. Liquid is a cloudy amber-ish red. Good looking but I'd like more head.
S: Caramel, whipped cream, tomato, pepper, caraway. Smells good!
T: Bloody Mary all the way. Slight tomato at the end. Slightly metallic, which is a negative. A little too earthy and spicy as well. Too much dill? Good flavor overall. Tastier than I imagined it would be. It seems a bit unbalanced. Celery and dill may be a bit too strong.
M: A tad thin, good spiciness.
D: Fairly good. I'd have another, but i won't buy 6.

2.5/5  rDev -28.2%

3.65/5  rDev +4.9%

Two and a half years old, I am having this beer, courtesy of Steven. It slightly looks but very much tastes of a Bloody Mary. The pickled aspect has taken over, fortunately, and I am easily able to enjoy this with my wife's salad. Therefore vegetable aromas, a bit pickle, a look of cloudy orange. Average and a bit oily mouthfeel. Decent drinkability but not something I could have nightly.

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

3.47/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a mini pint glass. Pours a cloudy amber with a slight head. Smells light and fruit almost like a hefeweizen but with hints of V8. Subsequent smells yield a more consistent tomato aroma.

Sips nice and spicy almost like a wit but with noticeable tomato overtones. Slight bit of heat (likely from the horseradish) brings up the back end with the hop bitterness. Belgiany mouthfeel makes it zip on your tongue. It leaves an oddly enjoyable lingering flavor of a delicious spaghetti dinner on the tongue between sips.

This one is pretty easy in my book. If you're a traditionalist and this grosses you out, keep your nose in whatever you like to drink. If you enjoy experiments and interesting beers, this carbonated V8 likely knocks it out of the park for you. I'll concede I probably couldn't have too many of these but credit is due to Shorts for again pushing the boundaries of craft brewing.

1.5/5  rDev -56.9%