Short's Controversi-ALE | Short's Brewing Company

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Spring

Loaded with hops like an IPA, yet drinks like a Pale Ale, we simply decided to call it a Strong Pale Ale. The fragrant, earthy citrus laced nose is instantly detectable. Large amounts of toasted grains and high alpha Simcoe hops form a perfect union that creates the cool sensation of toasted sourdough covered with zesty grapefruit hop marmalade.

Formerly known as Hangin' Frank.

Added by oberon on 09-09-2007

3.31/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

bottled 02/12/2013. Pours hazy golden orange. off-white single finger head with pretty aggressive pour.

Smells of sweet vidalia onions still in the georgia soil, if you've even been. There's a round about scent of sweetness that seems more floral than the onion. Honey-dew melon, musk-melon. sweet-breaded maltyness.

Back of throat onion sweetness with a well-rounded bitterness filling out the entirety of the middle mouth. finishes with the barest hint of under-ripe watermelon and some floral sweetness. Would be a bit better if it was more bready malty like those hawaiin buns, that would fit perfectly here.

Unique flavors in this one. I Actually enjoy the flavors, feel it would pair well with a plain burger no cheese on a potato bun.

Overall, 3.5 beer for me.

3.45/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into tulip glass.

A: Pours a hazy orange with white head. Some lacing, head fades quickly.

S: Not much going on here, some slight citrus notes.

T: The hops really linger on your tongue. A little funky but in a good way. Hard to pinpoint whats going on here, definately some citrus and pine flavors. Interesting.

M: Medium bodied, would have liked a little more carbonation.

O: This one is interesting. Definitely a controversial brew. I can see some people liking this. Me however probably wouldnt seek it out again.

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

4.34/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From memory yesterday. This one, yellow. Deep, clear. Smells like simcoe because it is. Great.
Nice to have nothing interfering. This taste is light on the malt and caramel, dry, the bitter coming in nicely, with great mouthfeel, etc. I really like this, much better than Huma...the balance and taste is clean and drier than any IPA I've tried. A keeper! More please

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

decent beer from a great brewery. Thin flavor combined with malty mouth feel. Their Huma is vastly superior and they have countless impressive IPA examples rotating through the year. Decent beer but not what i would go with if I had to pick from short's great line up

3.81/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance: A pale orange color with a very nice fluffy, white head on it. Lacing's spectacular as well.

Smell: I forget what the hops are called, but this one seems to have them... the smell on this one is of earthy, dirty onions, with a slight floral note as well. Very unusual. Personally, I'm not a huge fan, but I love the floral note it gives off.

Taste/feel: Front of the tongue is sweet, but the rest is middle-of-the-road bitterness. The taste is much like the smell in that I get the dirty onions, but it doesn't come off as strong. There's then quite a lot of bitterness on the back of the tongue (which makes me surprised to learn that this has *only* 67 IBUs), with that very nice floral aroma coming in the taste. The finish I find to be dry and bitter (for the most part), despite the fact that my mouth waters upon each sip due to the initial sweetness.

Overall, an interesting, INTERESTING beer... I find the name to be quite appropriate. I'd consider it to be an IPA myself, but an IPA unlike any other that I've had, due to the earthy, onion notes. The more I sip on Controversi-ALE though, the less onion-y it seems to be, and the more "normal" of an IPA it is. This beer just confuses me. I disliked it initially (mostly because of the aroma), but by the end I thought it was intriguingly satisfying and tasty.

Definitely a beer I'd like to have again, just because I'd love to know how my opinion changes.

3.93/5  rDev +2.9%

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

3.79/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks saisonrichbiere

The beer pours a copper amber with a razor thin white halo of head. The nose is interesting with an unexpected amount of raw grains forward that transitions into nutty and earthy hops after a deep whiff. The taste fits a similar description with a lot malt upfront followed by a mellow nutty hop profile. It has a drinkable, medium bodied beer with a sweet malty finish complimented by a touch of bitter hops. The alcohol is well disguised. This beer is tasty, drinkable, but a let down as far as APAs.

Short's Controversi-ALE from Short's Brewing Company