Ginger In The Rye (Rye Munich Weizen) | Short's Brewing Company

Ginger In The Rye (Rye Munich Weizen)Ginger In The Rye (Rye Munich Weizen)
Liked This Beer
3.64 w/ 163 ratings
Ginger In The Rye (Rye Munich Weizen)Ginger In The Rye (Rye Munich Weizen)

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by BeerBeing on 10-13-2007

Liked:
3.64/5
Alströms:

3.82/5  rDev +4.9%

12oz bottle received as a great extra from pocwolf in a recent trade. Poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass.

A - Pours a darker shade of orangey amber with little to no head forming...basically only a thin collar of white bubbles appears and there is a slight trace of lacing on the glass. Can't say this much looks like a Hefeweizen.

S - Smells quite wheaty, sweet with some spiciness - especially cloves...a little bit of coolness, some rye, trace of ginger. Expected to find more ginger character here...hoping the flavors more than make up for the lack of ginger in the aroma.

T - Ahh, here is some ginger. Up front I'm getting mostly standard hefeweizen flavors with the bubblegum and clovey yeast character I expect to find in a hefe. There is a bit of a spicy ginger tingle on the lips for each sip and as the standard hefe flavors fade away, a big hit of spicy ginger steps in. Rye isn't that prominant either, but kicks in an extra bit of distinctive spicy flavors. Towards the end the hefe'y sweetness and bubblegummy aspects return.

M - Ligthish medium body with a strong carbonation. Mixture of sweet hefe, wheaty, yeasty base and spicy ginger and rye. Actually blend together nicely.

O - Overall, not as gingery as I had hoped (really love intense ginger flavors), but definitely enough there to make me happy. Spicy aspects of the ginger play alongside the complementary spiciness of the hefe yeast. Nice beer.

3.33/5  rDev -8.5%

Bottle into a tulip.

Pours deep orange with amber highlights. A small head on top until it dissipates into nothing after a few sips. Tiny bubbles can be seen moving up the sides of the glass.

Ginger, cinnamon, pumpkin(?), and banana bubble gum aromatics greet you. A bit more sweetness as the beer arms with more ginger and a bit of spicy rye as well.

Big time ginger up front with some other spices like clover and cinnamon. A touch of breadyness and dessert cake sweetness. The spice is a little bit overbearing though.

Thin medium with a touch of carbonation, a little drying from the spice.

Very spicy with a hint of sweetness. A little over done in my opinion. A 12oz is a bit much for one person.

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed two bottles of this brew recently. I paired it with Asian spice rubbed thick-cut smoked pork chops with cherry bbq sauce. Excellent combo.

Appearance: Cloudy pale golden with slight orange notes. Lots of head.

Aroma: Ginger spice is there, but also some rye spice and tang. Biscuit malt is there, but simply as a canvas.

Taste: Nice ginger flavor reigns on this as the other flavors evolve. Fist the rye brings in some interesting tones, then a subtle sweet lager malt comes in and hold on until yeasty dryness finishes it off. Ginger is great complement to all the flavors.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Light and crisp. Dry finish works well with the sleek body. Hard to believe it has such a high ABV.

Overall: Great food pairing beer with the spicy, ginger qualities to it. Try it with Chinese food or Asian spiced dishes.

3.37/5  rDev -7.4%

A - orange, with little slow rising bubbles on the edge up to a small white head

S - sweet malt, lemon, and a lot of ginger, slight butter smell

T - lots of bubble gum, with a little banana. There is a spiciness from the ginger, with a little clove and pepper. There is a lot of flavor from the yeast. This beer is fairly sweet, a little to sweet for my taste

M - Fairly thick, especially for the style. Not much as much carbonation as I would like, which I think would help the sweetness and the body.

O - interesting and fun to try, but not one I am really excited about. I do hope more breweries brew ginger beers because I enjoy them.

4.27/5  rDev +17.3%

I picked up a six pack of Short's Ginger In The Rye a few weeks ago for $10.99 at The Lager Mill. I have been wanting to try this beer for a while so it was nice to hear that they were releasing it this year and I was lucky enough to get the last six pack at the store, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know that it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a weizen glass.

A- I like the label, it's simple yet good looking, I like the lone ginger rhizome coming up from the grass it looks good. It poured a slightly orange golden color with a finger and a half worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end. It looks OK and like a traditional Hefeweizen.

S- The aroma is pretty potent and somewhat complex. It starts out with that traditional Hefeweizen base that imparts some typical banana, lemon, clove and a slight bubblegum aroma from the yeast. Then comes the ginger which sticks out pretty nicely and it smells similar to the pickled ginger you get at a good sushi restaurants. At the end I pick up some nice spicy rye aromas and a very slight earthy hop aroma. The is a good smelling beer with a heavy ginger aroma.

T- The taste of this beer is very similar to the aroma. It starts off with that Hefeweizen base that imparts some light banana, clove, and bubblegum flavors that you would normally get in a Hefeweizen they are just a little lighter. In the middle I pick up the ginger which is pretty potent tasting and tastes pretty fresh and vibrant. After that comes a pretty noticeable lemon flavor that is followed by a nice dose of spicy rye that adds a nice spicy element to this beer and adds to the complexity. The finish is a little dry with a low amount of bitterness with an aftertaste of ginger and rye. The flavors are true to the name, bold, but not overdone or overly ginger.

M- Smooth, slightly creamy, slightly dry, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is very Hefeweizen like and works well with this beer.

Overall I thought that this was a pretty damn good beer and a very interesting take on a Hefeweizen. This beer had three major components that all showed up nicely and didn't really overpower each other. This beer has OK drinkability but I think the flavor would wear on me after having a couple so it's not the kind of beer I can session but it does go down smooth and is refreshing, this would make a good summertime beer. What I like most about this beer was the flavor and aroma they were really good and true to the name, there was some Hefeweizen flavors, there were some strong ginger flavors, and there were some nice spicy rye flavor, they all went together nicely and made for a very unique tasting and smelling beer. What I liked Least about this beer was pretty much nothing, but I do wish it had a better head and retention with some lacing, but that isn't that big of a deal. I would for sure buy a six pack if it is released next year, it's a nice unique beer that I wouldn't mind having in the refrigerator for when I am in the mood for it. I defiantly recommend giving this beer a try, it's a nice and unique take on a Hefeweizen, but you better like ginger cause this beer is heavy on it. Shorts really did a good job with this beer, I have been leery about trying ginger beers since I had New Hollands BeerHive Tripel, but this beer really used the ginger to it's full potential and the Hefeweizen and rye flavors work very well with the ginger and are the perfect match. So far this is the best ginger flavored beer I have had. Shorts constantly impresses me by the way they can take a beer that I am so familiar with, give it the Short's treatment and come out with a beer that tastes very different and unique, the are the masters and making beer that unsuspectingly tastes awesome.
Edit, this one ages good, 6 months and the ginger tones down just a little to allow some great balance.

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

3.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Another extra from surlytheduff-- thanks a lot!

This is very much a hefe with rye. Wow. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this better than I thought it would be.

Smells banana, little bubblegum, sweet wheat, and dry rye. The flavor is the same, and the finish is quite dry.

Body is pretty full for a hefe, and has decent carbonation, though a touch more might be nice.

Overall-- drinkable. Not the best I've had, but interesting.

4.42/5  rDev +21.4%

A - Deep gold with a amber tint and a thin cream colored head.

S - Smells very much like a good quality ginger ale with hints of rye and malt.

T - Has a caramelly sweetness with a nice bite of ginger and is followed with hop bitterness.

M - Medium bodied.

O - Just like drinking alcoholic ginger-ale. You can really taste & smell the ginger. Quite a refreshing beer.

4.09/5  rDev +12.4%

A - No bottling date, but I know it's fresh. Pours a dark orange color that builds minimal head, less than a finger high. Doesn't stick around too long, either. Minimal lacing.

S - Ginger is very strong, but I can certainly pick up wheat sweetness, too.

T - Ginger is very flavorful, but the sweetness from the wheat counteracts it quite nicely. It's definitely a hefe, but I like the ginger twist. Normally, I don't really enjoy spiced beers, but Short's usually does it for me.

M - A lot more fizzy than the head lets on, it's tingly on the tongue. Well structured.

O - Prolly not something I'll seek out again, but it was certainly worth the intrigue.

Ginger In The Rye (Rye Munich Weizen) from Short's Brewing Company