Aorta Ale (Double Red Ale) | Short's Brewing Company

Aorta Ale (Double Red Ale)Aorta Ale (Double Red Ale)
3.89/5
Very Good
Aorta Ale (Double Red Ale)Aorta Ale (Double Red Ale)

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

A double red ale that seems to indicate an intensity of flavor simply by it’s dark reddish brown appearance. Subtle aromas of candy, brown sugar, and toasted malt seem reluctantly released from the depths of this full bodied beast. Raisins, figs, and burnt caramel are among some of the sweeter flavors up front, before giving way to a roasted cocoa like bitterness that becomes magnified by high alpha hops. Considering the initial overall sweetness, it’s a heightened bitterness that dominates the finish.

Added by BeerBeing on 10-13-2007

3.97/5  rDev +2.1%

I've been wanting to try this one for a pretty long time, finally excited to finally get the chance to do so. Typically haven't been a huge fan of "red" ales in the past, but I'll never turn down a Shorts beer I haven't had. This one pours a lighter ruby-red color with hints of copper and maybe even a touch of purple. The cap is off-white showing decent retention and leaving some generous lacing through the top half of the glass.

The aroma's pretty light overall, or at least at first. I pick up quick on a few, sweet and malty aromas. Some citrus and juicy fruits; tangerine, melons, raisins, and plums. I know, a strange combination of fruits, but the aroma isn't "dark" enough to be comprise of all "dark" fruits. There are lighter and juicier aromas abound, I'm thinking tangerine is the biggest suspect. Hops aren't as vibrant as I'd like, but I have no idea how old this beer is, so what can I say? Mild hop oils with a very small hint of pine and resin. This one is certainly dominated by the fruity aromas and the sweet malt, though.

Up front, the first sip is a little boozier than I would have guessed it to be, but it comes hand in hand with a big sweetness to provide some balance. Very juicy and fruity like the aroma would have you believe. And when I say fruity, I don't mean in a "fruit beer" kind of way, I mean it in a "red ale" kind of way. Make sense? Didn't think so. Heavy tangerines, candied raisins, plum juice - this one is definitely sweet, but the hops quickly do their job to bring harmony to the table. Pungent, oily, and some lightly resinous pine needles with a herbal and almost ashy finish.

As the beer gets warmer, I get more and more caramel from the malt - by the last few ounces of this brew, the caramel was one of the biggest flavors, and the aftertaste was dominated with heavy caramel malts, toasted bread, and sugary graham crackers with some diminished, ashy hops and a fading, fruity sweetness. Excellent finish, actually, and maybe even better than the beginning and middle portion of the sip. Body is medium with a lightly sticky and moderately slick feel to it, medium carbonation.

Leave it to Shorts to make a beer for every style that ever existed. I'm sure this isn't the first "double red", but there probably aren't too many out there. Pretty good overall, maybe a little heavy on the sweetness - I would have liked more of an offsetting, bitterness balance. However, for not being particularly fond of the style, I enjoyed this one quite a bit.

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured into tulip glass.

A: Pours a copper red with 1 finger white head. Some lacing, head fades pretty quickly.

S: Sweet, malty, not much going on here, expected a little more hops to come through.

T: Sweet and malty again, with enough bitterness from the hops at the end to balance out. Some caramel. Bitter piney hops finish.

M: Medium bodied, carbonation is good.

O: A nice beer from Shorts, nothing mind blowing by any means, need some work but wouldn't pass one up if offered to me.

3.51/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks saisonrichbiere for the hook up

The beer pours a clear, darker than expected rusty brown (more harvest orange in the light) topped by a wispy white head that fades quickly with minimal lacing. The nose is relatively caramel forward with a touch of earthy hops (not very citrusy for a beer boasting copious amounts of cascade hops). Honestly, the hops are very overpowered by the caramelized malts. The taste presents more bitter spiciness than expected with even more overpowering malts to follow. I understand this is an imperial beer, but someone missed the imperial grade hopping memo...although I must admit, the slightly spicy hops, smooth toasty caramel malts, and big %abv does provide for a nice mouthfeel. I'm glad I tried this beer, and tend to enjoy the style, but would probably pass on another opportunity to try this again in the future.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

4.28/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Type: 12 oz on tap
Glass: A short wheat beer glass
From: Lockhartt's in Royal Oak
Price: $5

Appearance: deep coppery red, nice clarity a small off-white head. leaves a lacing on the sides

Smell: hops, malts, brown sugar, fruit

Taste: strong floral hops mixed in with a little citrus, strong sweet malts mixed with brown sugar. nicely complex

Mouthfeel: bitter, warm, syrupy

Overall: Great beer. probably my favorite from short's for now. I wish I could get my hands on a few bottles

4.16/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a plum orange purple. Lacing, who cares. Smells different, interesting; muted floral and some hint of hops and malt, but like I said, muted. Taste is ripe fruit and restrained malt first, then the bitter comes on; assertive, wet and excellent echo overall. Carbonation is moderately fine and fizzy, and lightly syrup. A really great beer. I only have one. I'd like more!

3.5/5  rDev -10%

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%