Short's Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout | Short's Brewing Company

4.5/5  rDev +25%

1.5/5  rDev -58.3%

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

2.65/5  rDev -26.4%

Bottle to tulip at about 50 degrees.

A: Easy pour down the center of the glass leads to about a finger worth of head that recedes very quickly. Lot of carbonation here. Head disappears to a thin ring within seconds. Not the best looking stout. 3.0

S: First smell is of burnt malts, light sweetness, a little brown sugar. Smells kind of strange, has a smokey smell and other stuff going on really cant pin point it though. 3.0

T: Taste is somewhat sour, tart, really strange. One of the strangest tasting oatmeal stouts I have ever had. Not really all that enjoyable to be honest. 2.5

M: Mouthfeel is pretty flat not much going on here. 2.5

O: Overall I really did not enjoy this at all. It is very below average. A drain pour for me. I would not seek this out again. 2.5

3.42/5  rDev -5%

Bottled: unk

A: pours a dark brown on black with a thin sheet of mocha foam which falls quickly to a scattered sheet of the same. No lace. Clarity irrelevant.
S: Sitting with my face a good 18" from the glass, I can smell the roasted oatmeal malts. I can smell the peanuts. As I approach the glass I get even more peanuts, some cardboard, some burnt toast. These all meld well enough, and the beer creates the novelty it adverts. I also like it (but in limited encounters)
T: Hmm, initially sweet, then a pinch of tartness and then I start to be able to try and appreciate the flavors. The beer has a slight soy sauce flavor on it (which I really appreciate in SA Triple Bock '97), but I'm not encouraged by the circumstances here. Some bitter soil tones here as well.
M: Medium on thin bodied with moderate carb. Semi-dry finish.
O: I'm a bit torn on this beer. On one hand the nose is quite strong and meets the advertised tones of the beer. On the other hand, the flavor profile indicates something is not quite right. Hard to tell if this is a yeast issue, sanitation issue, oil issue or simply my palate on the intended beer. After I've had half the glass, the tartness has become less evident allowing the peanuts and malts to resurface again. Would I drink again? Yes. Would I prefer on tap? Yes - as I've had less issues with novelty beers deviating from their former selves associated with bottle conditions and dating issues. Worth a peak as a beer.

2.87/5  rDev -20.3%

A - Black beer with with a finger of brown head that dissipates rather quickly, doesn't leave much on the sides of the glass.

S - Smells a lot like a stout, with requisite roast. There is a very strong peanut smell here, which I enjoy.

T - Unfortunately this beer is massively infected. There is a lactic sourness to it.

M - Medium to full bodied beer with moderate carbonation.

O - Wasn't going for a lactic tart stout. Beer has a lot of potential with a very nice roasted peanut. Unfortunately like way too many Shorts beers, this one was horribly infected. They really need to get that under control.

3.79/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks marine1975 for a share of this. Poured from bottle into a Highland 'mini-pint.'

A - deep brown color with almost no head and no lacing
S - dark chocolate Reese's cup with some bready malts
T - some dark malt and bread; slight tangy flavor with a moderate peanut butter finish
M - light carbonation over; thin body; very smooth
D - an interesting beer; i would like to see more oatmeal character come through personally; pretty drinkable all in all

3.44/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle courtesy of TheSevenDuffs. Glad to try this off kilter beer! No date on the bottle served between 6-8C into a tulip.

A: A hard pour produces minimal brown head with next to no retention and almost zero lacing. A thick stout is clearly on the prowl here though with an opaque body.
S: Thick dark roasted notes with molasses, an oily peanut butter like aroma comes about too. An odd mix.
T: More of the same on the palate. Lots of roasty notes, with an oily peanut that lingers and keeps some of the sweetness back. Personally the two flavours don't pair very well, although they do come across at two different times...
M: Oily, very low carbonation. Cloying at first yet finishes oily and peanuty.
O: Glad I've tried this concoction... Not sure I am going to be looking for this one ever again except to foist on others. Nevertheless, nice try at it.

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

In a trade with TheSevenDuffs. Thanks man!

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Black pour, almost opaque, makes a small, medium looking, tan head with relatively lousy retention. Fades quickly to a light wisp and ring. Black body and no carbonation evident. A light, splotchy wisp and ring remain until the end leaving dots of lacing down the glass. Good looking, but head need more staying power.

SMELL: A bit of roasted and smoky malt, but lots of peanut butter for sure. Nose is mild but quite one-dimensional. It’s a peanut butter beer.

TASTE: Weird. I should stop there, but I won’t. Roasted nuances and some caramel, then mostly peanut butter through the middle and into the finish. Tastes mostly like synthetic peanut butter with some licorice and caramel sweetness. Aftertaste is medium in strength and persistent, with caramel and peanut butter stealing the show.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Creamy on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes slightly mouth-coating. A touch of heat at the back after the swallow. Pretty good feel.

OVERALL: I appreciate the attempt and the willingness to experiment, but this was not my thing. Peanut butter tasted somewhat synthetic and out of place in the beer, while it also masked any other attempt at creating complexity. This is a bit of a novelty that I can see people trying once, but I just can’t imagine drinking this on a regular basis. It was interesting, but it’s a one-and-done for me. Thanks again TheSevenDuffs.

1.89/5  rDev -47.5%

12 oz. bottle. Pours a medium black with a quickly dissipating tan head. Aroma is coffee, light peanuts and...dammit, there it is again. The sour smell that means for the second year in a row I’ve fallen prey to infected Goober. Taste, lightly roasty with subtle peanut butter and yep, a foul, sour finish. Mouthfeel is unpleasantly slick and lacking in body. God, when will I frickin’ learn with Shorts’ oddball releases?

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

A big thanks to Kevin (kzoobrew) for this beer that has been hanging around my refrigerator for some time. As a matter of fact it has made the trip from Michigan to California to Illinois. Here goes nothing! Cheers buddy.

Appearance – Pours a jet black into a generic tulip with almost no head and literally no lacing. No light gets through when held up to a lamp.

Smell – Honestly, peanuts. There are the traditional stout aromas such as burnt malts, slight coffee and chocolate, but honestly, I smell peanuts. Weird – Short’s having a beer smell like what it is suppose to be! I expected nothing less, haha.

Taste – Yum. Let me first say that after having a Blushing Monk earlier, this is a great night cap. Heavy roasted peanuts up front, burnt malts, bittersweet chocolate, and more peanuts. Short’s yet again scores high points for getting the flavor profile correct in what they were trying to do.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied (almost light/medium), decent carbonation.

Overall – Very interesting beer. Some of Short’s beers don’t work…I think this one does. While I wouldn’t grab a six pack of it in the future, it actually was better than I was expecting and as stated was a great way to cap the night after having such a sweet fruit beer. Tasty.

2.8/5  rDev -22.2%

I got this beer from kzoobrew. Thanks Kevin!

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - black with a small, short-lived cocoa colored head.

S - roasted malt with a hint of nut. I guess I was expecting more after reading some of the reviews.

T - once again the nutty flavor is in the background not upfront or overpowering. It is a decent tasting brew but nothing extraordinary.

F - medium bodied with low carbonation.

O - meh.

Appearance: Black in color with a half inch of brownish head.
Smell: It smells of roasted peanuts and a little malt.
Taste: Roasted malts that doesn’t stick around. It does have a nice creaminess to it the back palate.
Mouthfeel: It seems rather thin but the taste hangs on the tongue nicely.

4.31/5  rDev +19.7%

Thanks to Scoot1969 for this treat! I appreciate it Scott!!!

A- Nice and dark, not much carbonation even with a decent pour. No lacing or head of which to speak.

S- Freaking awesome. Smells like a nice dark, rich stout with PEANUTS! Seriously, why has someone not picked up on this and gone Rambo on this style? That's the next beer I brew, a Peanut Butter stout. I'll break up friggin Nutter Butters and age them on that shit.

T- Here goes...Definitely Peanuts/PB in there. A little sweeter than I would have guessed but SEND ME MORE!! What an unusual brew, I dig it!

M- Gotta knock it on this count, a little thin for an oatmeal stout. Thicken this shit up and double the peanuts it's aged on and you have a **DING DING** Charlie Sheen type winner!

O- Solid for me, I'm a PB freak so I'm definitely in this beers corner.

Short's Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout from Short's Brewing Company