Short's Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout | Short's Brewing Company

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by Sudmissle on 12-21-2007

3.6

2.45/5  rDev -31.9%

Though I wish I could recall the generous BA trader who hooked me up with this brew, I can not. Thank you, whomever you are!

Skyscraper massively tall dark tan head shows a few craters but sits briefly strong atop the dark brown/black brew before receding down to liquid level and leaving scant lacing behind. Tiny bubbles hug the sides of the glass as the beer is swirled releasing aromas of charcoal, chocolate, and a strong presence of peanut butter. A prickly bitterness grabs the tongue on the first sip, acidic/citrus/wild yeast twang seems out of place. Robust maltiness, peanut character not making their way to the forefront as they should. Bitterness seems too high and not in proper balance and the beer finishes much drier than anticipated. High, prickly carbonation doesn't feel appropriate for an oatmeal stout.

Something went amiss here...it could be a problem with my storage or possibly a bad batch from the brewery. The immense carbonation and slight sourness seem to indicate an infection and are forcing my hand in pouring this beer out with more than 3/4 of it remaining.

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Thanks to semibaked for this one.

Shared a tasting. From notes.

A: Pours a dark brown body with a purplish tone to it (puce?). Mocha head with poor retention.

S: This nails the aroma that the label suggests: it's peanut butter! There's a mild lactic sweetness that reminds me of a milk stout.

T: The taste falls a little short in the peanut butter impression, though it's still there. There's something that reminds me of peanut oil. Chocolate and flaked oats are also noticeable. I also pick up roasted malt and licorice (this could also be lactic sweetness; I sometimes have trouble telling the two apart when there's a lot going on) -- the latter two particularly in the aftertaste. The peanut flavor fades as the beer warms.

M: It has a good, creamy mouthfeel as I'd expect from an oatmeal stout. Good carbonation levels; neither too high nor too low.

D: This one really got the aroma down, but like a few other Short's beers, I feel that the taste is a letdown in comparison. Having this next to the PB&J, I felt this was the worse of the two. However, when I blended the two beers (2 parts Uber Goober to 1 part PB&J), it better captured the peanut flavor that PB&J was lacking.

3.6/5  rDev 0%

On tap @ the Sunset Grill & Tap (Allston, MA) on 3/11/11. Served in a tulip glass.

Pours a dense black in the glass, topped with roughly a ½ finger of mocha colored head. This retains nicely, with some rich edges that leaves back some thick foamy swathes of lacing. The aroma smells like straight up roasted peanuts in the nose, which is quickly followed by notes of chocolate, burnt malt, caramel, and some light green floral hop character. A little bit of alcohol warmth is making its presence known as well.

The taste mirrors the nose, with a distinct roasted peanut flavor that melds well with the additional notes of dark malts and bitter hops that are present. Some sweeter flavors of chocolate and some lighter caramel and flaked oatmeal sweeten this up a bit. The finish is all peanuts, which lingers with some spicy alcohol notes. The mouthfeel is fuller bodied, with a big sharp creaminess to it at first but despite the size of this, things seems a little flat and thin at times on the sides of the overall feel. I swear that they had this listed as over 9% ABV and this felt like it, with some sharp warmth (including the aforementioned sweetness and dry spiciness from the alcohol) really giving this a bit more attitude than it feels like it needs.

While there was certainly no shortage of Short's flair here (the peanut flavor really is well done) but the big alcohol presence and uneven feel kept this one from reaching its true potential. I could have used a little less Uber with my Goober here I think.

reviewed from notes:

appearance: dark brown almost black with a finger mocha hed

smell: peanuts, mocha, roast, coffee

taste: oatmeal, peanuts,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium to full body, creamy smooth

overall: very nice oatmeal stout. one of the better beers from Short's.

Cheers,
The CPJ

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

on tap at sunset tap and grille in boston during the post-EBF brunch

Pours a deep brown color with dark almost black hues, a thinner browned head retains with a collar of lacing around the glass.

A nice dose of nuttiness in the nose with softer chocolate and roasted malt. Scents of fresh cracked peanuts, like the ones you'd buy at a baseball game.

Wow. Peanut butter, and lots of it right up front. Hints of salt and a bit of roasted malts swirled with a note of caramelized sugar. This reminds me of a sweet peanut butter treat or cereal somewhat. A light touch of chocolate before finishing with more peanuts.

Fulled medium body, a bit creamy and smooth on the tongue. This was definitely a little out there, but I definitely enjoyed it. If they wanted to make a beer that tasted like straight up peanut butter, I think they pretty much nailed it.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

Bottle shared by afdempse. Thanks Adam!

The beer appears a dark brown shade with a small beige head.

The aroma is quite interesting, with notes of roast, light chocolate, sweet malts, dark fruits, and a prominent scent of you guessed it...peanuts. It smells like we're gonna get drunk at the circus.

The flavor brings mostly peanuts, along with some roast character and a mild funk presence. The beer is well done, albeit another wild idea from Short's. Intriguing and fun, I enjoyed this beer and would have it again. A small sample was plenty for me, however.

2.72/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

poured into a pint glass

A.

Beer looks like cola as it's being poured. Even the head. Soda-like and dissipates rather quickly.

S.

exactly like peanuts/peanutbutter. Honestly not much else I'm getting however. Basically like opening a jar of peanutbutter. I enjoy it, but it's a little 1 dimensional.

T.

This beer has to be infected. This beer has a farily big sourness/tartness to it. Maybe a slight peanut "shell" taste to this beer but really nothing else. Pretty disappointing.

M.

mouthfeel basically like flat pop, but a little thinner. Carbonation pretty much non-existent.

D.

Definitely low. This is a relatively hard to find beer in Indiana, plus you're playing Russian roulette with some of their beers. I really hope the fix their bottling issues as they can easily become one of my favorite breweries. Will definitely try this on tap if I have the opportunity.

2.9/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Another shared bottle from Adam - thanks.

Pours black with an initial faint tan head which fades rapidly to nothing. No lace on glass. The nose is not surprizingly nutty for a beer made with peanuts. Power of suggestion says = peanuts in here. Tastes band-aidishly plastic with a "brown" earthy dirt-like finish. Kind of like the peanuts weren't wasted or something. Mouthfeel is bland. In all fairness I do note some possible interference from previous glasses. Overall, this is unique, but would not seek after it.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

Bottle shared by Adam, thanks.

This beer smells like the ground after the circus was in town. Beer is black and has a thin brown head of small bubbles, low carbonation and low lacing.

Aroma is like roasted peanut shells but a distant aroma, like it has infected the air.

Beer is a little thin and finishes with this strong peanut shell / roast taste. It's considerably thinner than I was expecting. It's not as bad as most of the reviews make it out to be, you can definitely tell that it was made with peanuts. Perhaps the roast of the peanuts and the roast of the grain is what is clashing on the palate, the finish is a little rough. I don't think I'll have it again.

2.16/5  rDev -40%

Received an assortment of Short's beers, this being the first one I tried.

A - Pours pitch black with a two finger dark chocolate mocha brown head that immediately disappears leaving no lacing behind.

S - Roasted dark malt aroma with plenty of sweet and bitter dark chocolate, oatmeal, nut and licorice. I was looking for more of a peanut butter type smell to come through, but I never got that.

T - Lots of tight carbonation up front with lots of sweetness and slight tart flavor. There are some nice silky chocolate notes and a little roasted nut flavor, but again I'm missing the true chocolate / peanut butter taste I was expecting. Prominent oatmeal presence along with some toffee and licorice in the back end.

D - Glad to have tried this one once, I'm not sure I would enjoy two or three in one sitting. Seems like the recipe might need a little adjusting to bring out more of the peanut flavor.

2.22/5  rDev -38.3%

Bottle procured from readbaron.

Poured into a pint glass. I'm a little hesitant with this one. The Short's beers I've had have been hit or miss. The last one, PB & J, was an infected, vinegary mess. It didn't even warrant a review. So I'm crossing my fingers on this one.

The pour doesn't conjure up any confidence on my end. A deep dark black, but not even the slightest bit of head or lace. Nothing. This could be motor oil for all I know. The nose is eerily similar to the last peanut butter beer of theirs I tried, and we know how that turned out. Mild cocoa, jam, and PB. There's a definitive tart presence that is a little off-putting.

The body is moderately thick with carbonation spritzing it up midway through, then smooths out on the finish. Mild cocoa, coffee char, and the faintest of nuttiness. Sourness is ever-present. Eh. I don't like this. Maybe I'm a little gun-shy with these guys now, but this could have been so much better. Out she goes. Won't have this again.

3.54/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: dark brown/black, thin tan head, no lacing, opaque

S: the peanut comes through very strong up front, smells like peanut shell with rich notes of chocolate in the background. Very interesting.

T: the peanut doesn't translate to good flavor as the nose would suggest, what your left with a a somewhat bitter, almost acrid peanut quality with some dark chocolate backing it up. This beer isn't bad, but the nose promises something special and the taste unfortunately doesn't deliver

MF: thin body, medium carbonation

D: this beer is definitely worth a try, very unique, I think the base beer needs tweaking to better complement the peanut.

3.87/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance - Pours dark brown with a very thin head that settles into nothing in a relatively short time. Looks as if it lacks carbonation.

Aroma - Strong scent of peanut butter and cocoa. Has a slight hint of caramel.

Taste - Very strong chocolate with peanut overtones. Hint of coffee and caramel flavors as well. Tastes a lot like a melted Reeses Cup. Very sweet, almost a little too sweet. Very little carbonation, almost flat.

Mouth - Again, this beer is lacking a lot of carbonation. It's not really something I really enjoy. It's similar to a Guinness that has been left out for a long time.

Drinkability - Although it lacks in some areas, it's a good dessert beer. Not something you drink on a warm summer day. But then again, how many stouts can you?

3.51/5  rDev -2.5%

A - Very uneventful pour. An aggressive pour yields an eighth inch tan head which lasts for all of 7 seconds. A tiny ring around the rim stays for a few minutes, but then this is just a slick reddish black.

S - Earthy, hearty peanuts. The peanut is huge in the nose and sticks around for the entire beer. This smells like I just opened up a jar of peanut butter. Incredible that they could replicate that. That said, it's very one-note and I'm having a very hard time picking anything else up in the smell. There is a faint chocolate and roasted malt off in the distance.

T - The flavors have a quick and noticeable progression with each sip. First, loads of roasted malt, brown sugar, milk chocolate, maple. The middle showcases the oatmeal nicely, it really tastes like a bowl of oatmeal with some of that brown sugar riding alongside it. The peanuts begin to creep in right as the oatmeal flavor fades and you're left with a muted, peanut taste. The smell was true to a peanut's smell, but the taste isn't exactly true to a peanut's taste.

M - Though it's smooth, this finishes with a gritty, chewy character. Either the peanuts or the oatmeal is making me feel like I want to eat this instead of drink it. Mindfuck. Medium, mouth-coating body (no homo) with a refreshing amount of carbonation, well done.

D - This drinks pretty nicely, but definitely a beer I'd rather share as I don't think peanut is something I want in my everyday oatmeal stout. Fun to try, but not a beer I'd ever have back to back.

3.91/5  rDev +8.6%

poured into my Bell's tulip

A - pours almost pitch black, no light coming through at all. with a moderately aggressive pour a short tan head dissipates quickly leaving no lacing behind. not looking too thick.

S - woah hello peanuts - nail on the head. roasty, the oatmeal is there, slight chocolate. it's hard to get past the prominent peanut buttery nose on this. i like it.

T - again with the roasted flavor and the oatmeal, and the peanuts come right up on you in a stronger than expected and pleasant way. this has a unique light sourness to it that i appreciate.

M - lighter, slick with a creeping fizz.

D - goes down pretty easy but i doubt i would do more than a couple.

Hats off to Short's for their creativity once again. Some of their brews come off as novelty but this is a good beer.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Thanks to kdub87 for sending this bottle.

Pours deep, opaque brown into a pint glass, producing less than a finger of light tan head. This fades, leaving a little lacing.

After getting over my initial shock at the distinct peanut smell in this beer, I've decided I kind of like it. But only kind of. Definitely some nice, roasty malts going on as well, but I have a hard time picking out anything else.

The taste is a little more subtle than I expected, and the peanut flavors work better for me than the smell. Pleasant, roasted malts hit the tongue first, followed by some slightly bitter coffee notes. The peanuts come back around in the finish, with some dry, roasty flavors as well.

Full-bodied, but with a little less carbonation than I would like.

Drinkability is fine, but slightly hampered by the unusual flavor profile. I'm glad I had one, but I'd choose to follow it with a very different beer.

3.77/5  rDev +4.7%

A- A fairly spirited pour offered next to no head at all. There were simply a few bubbles. Despite all my efforts to swish it around, I only managed to get a thin partial film at the top. It pours a considerably dark brown with just the slightest lacing.

S- Far more appealing than the visual. You can get very distinct notes of peanuts in it, and the oatmeal is actually pretty prominent too. There's loads of dark malt in it, as well roasted/burnt malt. A decent amount of noticeable bitterness for an oatmeal stout.

T- Very much a nutty flavor, rivaled only by oatmeal and roasted malt. The peanut flavor is easily noticeable and very obvious, but it isn't overpowering. It actually fits with the oatmeal and malts very seamlessly. I can't say which side I'd put this between brown ale and oatmeal stout.

M- Fuller than average, but for an oatmeal stout it comes in at par. Very smooth. The carbonation is pretty far from the mouth-feel. While I tend to enjoy my beers with low carbonation, this one was one of few that made me think it could use more carbonation. It leaves a slightly dry sticky finish.

D- An interesting sort of hybrid brew combining a brown ale with an oatmeal stout. I enjoyed it, but it seemed a little weird for me. Not in a bad way, but a bit different from what I'm used to. I couldn't see myself drinking a lot of these for that reason.

A good effort from Short's, but I think I'll stick to their other brews from now on.

4.28/5  rDev +18.9%

A - Dark & black like motor oil, fully opaque -- no light shining through this one. Light brown head.

S - Coffe & espresso on first sniff. Fresh green peanuts, just dug out of the ground (if you've ever grown peanuts you'll know what I mean). Hints of vanilla and earth.

T - Intense green peanut flavor mid pallette. Quite creamy with that signature Short's tartness, or what I call umami. Burnt toast on the the finish, with a smoky, roasted malt in there somewhere.

M - Smooth, creamy and medium bodied.

D - Goes down so VERY smoothly for a stout. Be careful with this one!

3.89/5  rDev +8.1%

Bottle poured into a nonic pint.

A- A normal pour left a 1/2-finger, brown head that developed late in the pour and dropped to a light film all too quickly. The body was a nice, deep brown that was just a shade away from black. Not a lot of stick left on the glass.

S- Very peanut buttery at first I love how Short's can really nail these crazy concepts. Further sniffs reveal more of a dry-roasted, shell-on quality. Spring Training is right around the corner, no? It makes me want to pick up a paper bag from a local vendor on my walk to cheer on the Tigers at the CoPa. Some chocolate, and even vanilla, undertones.

T- Not as blatant as the aroma. Malts are a little roasty (not unlike a peanut I suppose), with a hint of char. Nutty quality comes through late. It took a couple sips to really appreciate how good it was.

M- At first I thought it was a little thin. However, it's actually pretty viscus. There's some alcohol bite that makes me think the 6.5% ABV might be a little low. There's very light carbonation, which might contribute to the initial thin feel. One area where it's a little lacking.

D- It's a really good beer, but I don't see drinking more than 1-2 in a sitting. I'm definitely glad I tried it, and would drink it again, if not seek out. As Short's goes, it's not my favorite "concept" beer, but pretty darn good all the same. I'd actually prefer even more "in your face" peanut qualities.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Received this one as an extra in a recent trade. I have been unimpressed with recent short's beers, but this one was pretty good. Deep, rich black color with a smallish brown head. Smells a lot like peanut butter, chocolate and roasted malt. Creamy, medium bodied, with a definite peanut presence, along with roasted malt and chocolate.

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance: Dark pour, somewhat small head that didn't last

Smell: Very heavy, sweet and malty, perhaps some peanut with brown sugar, licorice, oats and chocolate. Roast.

Taste: Roast and I guess peanut, I get more chocolate, toffee, licorice, brown sugar and oatmeal. Not that tasty. Possibly infected?

Mouthfeel: Very thick, needs a touch more carbonation

Drinkability: I took a few sips and moved on, thought to my self I was thankful it was only 12oz. I am a bit over these weird shorts beers.

4.5/5  rDev +25%

Bottle into tumbler glass.

A- Poured to a 2 finger espresso-like tan head, reducing to about 1/4 finger, lingering along, evenly spread across the glass. Medium lacing which hangs out for a bit. Deep, rich, blackish brown in color with a high opacity.

S- An amazing sweet, dry roasted peanut aroma, along with notes of chocolate, roasted grains, and a faintest hint of coffee.

T- A tasty palate of mildly sweet roasted peanuts, roasted grains, malt, along with notes of rich, dark chocolate.

M-Smooth, creamy, silky, full-bodied

D- It drinks quite well, as i find it smooth, rich, and tasty.

An excellent take on an oatmeal stout. The peanuts really compliment this style of beer very nicely, in terms of the rich flavors and sweet, peanuty aroma. An excellent beer if you love peanuts and oatmeal stout. I will gladly continue to buy this one again and again :)

P.S. On a side note, on my recent visit to the brewpub, i bought a growler of this beer and it was listed as 9%ABV on the beer board, so perhaps this may reflect the most recent brewing.

3.69/5  rDev +2.5%

A: pours out a very dark brown, almost black with a tan head that fell quickly.

S: smells of roasted malt and peanut butter. i get a little chocolate and molasses in there too. it actually smells quite nice. almost like a tagalong girl scout cookie.

T: it definitely smells better than it tastes. it tastes of roasted malt, dark chocolate, and peanut butter, but the flavors dont seem to mesh well together. as it warms it does start to seem more cohesive though. it is also more bitter than i was expecting.

M: it does have a nice smooth mouthfeel.

D: i dont really want more than a bottle of this. wouldnt seek out again. i would drink it if it was offered, but doubt id pay for it.

4.37/5  rDev +21.4%

Uber Goober pours a dark brown with no head. No retention is not a surprise.The label design is impressive

Uber Goober has a nice peanut aroma. Peanut dominate the bready smell. Very distinct.

This imperial stout has a nutty taste, distinctly peanut with a slight malty taste. The roasted malt gives it a toasty taste.

Uber Goober is an interesting stout. It has an oily feel and look. Its very well-balanced and not too sweet or strong. A good tasting and creative beer. Delicious.

3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

Love the name and bottle design.
Poured out into a pint glass.
Deep brown/black, very little light makes it through. A tiny head on top, mocha colored, but it quickly fades into just a thin ring.

Nose is like a "monster cookie," with peanut butter, oatmeal, and chocolate. The peanut is earthy, almost like peanut shells. Some toasty malts come through, but no hop presence.

Taste is sweet peanut and malt.
Lingering sticky sweet chocolate oil with hop hints. Odd sourness.

Undercarbonated. This comes off almost like a malted yoohoo with peanuts.

Gotta give shorts credit for experimenting, but this one is slightly off the mark.

Short's Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout from Short's Brewing Company