Short's Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout | Short's Brewing Company

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by Sudmissle on 12-21-2007

3.6

4.31/5  rDev +19.7%

Thanks to Scoot1969 for this treat! I appreciate it Scott!!!

A- Nice and dark, not much carbonation even with a decent pour. No lacing or head of which to speak.

S- Freaking awesome. Smells like a nice dark, rich stout with PEANUTS! Seriously, why has someone not picked up on this and gone Rambo on this style? That's the next beer I brew, a Peanut Butter stout. I'll break up friggin Nutter Butters and age them on that shit.

T- Here goes...Definitely Peanuts/PB in there. A little sweeter than I would have guessed but SEND ME MORE!! What an unusual brew, I dig it!

M- Gotta knock it on this count, a little thin for an oatmeal stout. Thicken this shit up and double the peanuts it's aged on and you have a **DING DING** Charlie Sheen type winner!

O- Solid for me, I'm a PB freak so I'm definitely in this beers corner.

3.89/5  rDev +8.1%

Bottle poured into a nonic pint.

A- A normal pour left a 1/2-finger, brown head that developed late in the pour and dropped to a light film all too quickly. The body was a nice, deep brown that was just a shade away from black. Not a lot of stick left on the glass.

S- Very peanut buttery at first I love how Short's can really nail these crazy concepts. Further sniffs reveal more of a dry-roasted, shell-on quality. Spring Training is right around the corner, no? It makes me want to pick up a paper bag from a local vendor on my walk to cheer on the Tigers at the CoPa. Some chocolate, and even vanilla, undertones.

T- Not as blatant as the aroma. Malts are a little roasty (not unlike a peanut I suppose), with a hint of char. Nutty quality comes through late. It took a couple sips to really appreciate how good it was.

M- At first I thought it was a little thin. However, it's actually pretty viscus. There's some alcohol bite that makes me think the 6.5% ABV might be a little low. There's very light carbonation, which might contribute to the initial thin feel. One area where it's a little lacking.

D- It's a really good beer, but I don't see drinking more than 1-2 in a sitting. I'm definitely glad I tried it, and would drink it again, if not seek out. As Short's goes, it's not my favorite "concept" beer, but pretty darn good all the same. I'd actually prefer even more "in your face" peanut qualities.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

2.25/5  rDev -37.5%

Notes from 5/6/2011

A- Opaque black pour, zero head. Carbonation looks minimal. Lacing is non existent.

S- Peanuts right off the bat. The peanut smell reminds me of an ash tray. Roasted coffee, slight bitter chocolate. Soy sauce

T- Bitter roasted coffee, peanuts hit you in the back end. Zero sweetness (that I was expecting) bitter peanut/ash tray aftertaste.

M- Thin to medium bodied. creamy feeling, minimal carbonation pricking the back of the tongue.

O- Peanut is in your face and authentic. My mouth keeps going back to ash tray though. Overly bitter made this a hard one to choke down. Like the originality but won't be trying again.

2.41/5  rDev -33.1%

Black pour with a nice looking finger of dark brown head that fizzles out.

Smell is roasted malts and caramel, along with an accompanying metallic character that may be an infection

And the taste confirms it. A distinct sourness hits immediately. Yet another infected Short's beer to go along with the PB & J. Its a shame really, but apparently it is a widespread issue.

If you have this beer already, drink it now before it gets even worse. If you don't have it yet, don't bother searching for it. Hopefully this gets re-released in the future so I can give it another shot!

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

4.09/5  rDev +13.6%

2010 release, poured in to a tulip pint.

Deep brown bodied beer though if you would call it black I would not argue. Largely opaque, only a slight slimmer of light breaks through the thinnest edge to reveal a crimson highlight. The pour was relatively strong however the resulting head was a bit meager. The one finger head quickly receded leaving a slight brown sugar colored ring around the top.

The aroma is captivating. The roasted peanut aroma shines, while pairing extremely well with the dark chocolate aromas which are set just beneath.

Roasted malt and chocolate flavors are more up front in the taste in comparison to the aroma. The peanut on the tongue cannot compete with itself in the nose but it does deliver a solid secondary flavor. The bulk of the peanut flavor is noted lingering on the tongue during the aftertaste. Hints of molasses and slightly burnt caramel settle in towards the back of the palate. A silky sweetness can be observed through out.

The mouthfeel has me going back and forth a bit. The overall body falls somewhere between medium and full. The texture is very creamy which gives the perception of a fuller body. The texture is smooth and slightly oily. The finish lingers and leans toward the longer side.

Joe Short wants you to think when you drink. He wants you to think about how his beers work when common sense says it never will. He wants you to think about why no one has done this before. Ok, maybe that is just what I am thinking when I drink his beers but I am sure he would appreciate the thought. Uber Goober is a very good beer. Not a session beer but on I would not think twice about a repeat. One worth seeking out.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

4.07/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured into a DFH pint glass. Pours a jet black with a thin spritzy dark mocha head that drops very quickly.

Aromas of dark roast coffee, roast grains, dark cocoa, and a big punch of roasted peanuts.

Flavors of a, well, unsweetened reese's peanut butter cup. Dark cocoa powder, dark roast coffee, roasted malt, and peanuts.

Mouthfeel is silky, light, not quite watery.

Overall, well, it works. Interesting mix of flavors. Nothing aggressive or offensive. Couldn't see sitting down and drinking a number of these, but one a sitting is good. Seek it out for nothing more than the novelty works.

4.35/5  rDev +20.8%

Pouring black with ample tan head into a tulip glass, this brew smells like roasted malts and roasted peanuts. Tastes slightly sweet, with more peanuty flavor. There is some bitter chocolate in here too. Tastes a bit like the beer version of a Reese's peanut butter cup to me, and that I like. Somewhat boozy for 6.5%, and mouthfeel is fairly thick. Overall, I'm a big fan of this one. Really creative effort.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Thanks to kdub87 for sending this bottle.

Pours deep, opaque brown into a pint glass, producing less than a finger of light tan head. This fades, leaving a little lacing.

After getting over my initial shock at the distinct peanut smell in this beer, I've decided I kind of like it. But only kind of. Definitely some nice, roasty malts going on as well, but I have a hard time picking out anything else.

The taste is a little more subtle than I expected, and the peanut flavors work better for me than the smell. Pleasant, roasted malts hit the tongue first, followed by some slightly bitter coffee notes. The peanuts come back around in the finish, with some dry, roasty flavors as well.

Full-bodied, but with a little less carbonation than I would like.

Drinkability is fine, but slightly hampered by the unusual flavor profile. I'm glad I had one, but I'd choose to follow it with a very different beer.

4.27/5  rDev +18.6%

Short's Uber Goober is rich, dark brown in color with a modest light brown head that reduces to nothing. The aroma is actually peanuts, roasted peanuts in fact. The taste also contained the peanut element, plus coffee. (If the PB & J could have pulled the peanut thing off, it would have been perfect.) The feel is just barely full bodied with little (the proper amount), carbonation. Drinkability is very good.

Short's really did a nice job with Uber Goober, it comes across as advertised. I have been very impressed with all three of the special stouts that Short's has just brought out: Mystery, Cup a Joe and this one.

4.34/5  rDev +20.6%

A: Pours a syrupy thick black with a quarer inch thick of brown head. the head did not retain very well aside for one nice ring around the top of the beer.

S: The initial note definitely is reese peanut butter cups!!! That just make me smile. Aside from the peanut butter there is a nice roasty note sweetness from the oatmeal. I am very pleased to see they were able to accomplish what they intended with this beer. At times it also smells like reeses peanut butter puffs cereal.

T: It starts out nicely with a bitter roasted note which I prefer in stouts before transition to some milky oat sweetness before finishing with the peanut butter note. The flavors stand out a bit more individually rather than as a whole but it is still very enjoyable.

M: A slight bit of heat is present and it is a little rough around the edges but there is a good amount of body present.

D: A unique beer to say the least and I think I could only enjoy one in a sitting but I really enjoyed it and cant wait to try the PB&J

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

A: massively black. No transparency and close to inky as the bartender poured loosely in the glass. No real slab of lace exists but what remains is a deep brown mahogany ring of foam. Some speckling is present on the inner walls of the glass...not much though, pretty clean

S: smell is huge oily redskin peanuts with plenty of dark roasted malts. A sweet tart smell permeates every whiff. The nose is by and far one of the most unique I have smelled in some time

T: nutty, sweet and tart, with a slight caramel feel. This beer has some incredibly interesting dimensions. The sweetness gathers tart and sour cherries with bitter chocolate flavors. Some of the chocolate is mixed with a few crushed coffee beans, oily peanuts, and a dose of oats or creamy oatmeal. This is a wild amalgamation of flavors.

M: finishes dry and tart with a good dose of pea-nutty flavors. For a stout it holds true to a heavier body and fairly smooth finish. Pretty nice feel.

D: I am one and done with this one. I love Shorts and always will support...this is one of my lesser favorites. But props need to go to Shorts for inventive style and venture

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Pour dark brown, almost black, with a thin brown head that dissipates quickly.

S: Dry and roasty, mild notes of peanuts. Hints of sweetness, just a touch of chocolate. Not a whole lot of aroma at all, to be honest.

T: Sweet roasted chocolate malt up front, with a dose of dry peanuts on the back end. Some residual sweetness on the finish with a dry and malty aftertaste. A bit astringent on the aftertaste, as well.

M: Moderate thickness, low hops, but the carbonation bites the tongue a bit.

D: This is actually pretty relaxing and drinkable. The recipe could use a bit of tweaking, but who else would even think to make a peanut-based Oatmeal Stout? If it was just a touch sweeter I'd like it more, I think.

3.77/5  rDev +4.7%

A- A fairly spirited pour offered next to no head at all. There were simply a few bubbles. Despite all my efforts to swish it around, I only managed to get a thin partial film at the top. It pours a considerably dark brown with just the slightest lacing.

S- Far more appealing than the visual. You can get very distinct notes of peanuts in it, and the oatmeal is actually pretty prominent too. There's loads of dark malt in it, as well roasted/burnt malt. A decent amount of noticeable bitterness for an oatmeal stout.

T- Very much a nutty flavor, rivaled only by oatmeal and roasted malt. The peanut flavor is easily noticeable and very obvious, but it isn't overpowering. It actually fits with the oatmeal and malts very seamlessly. I can't say which side I'd put this between brown ale and oatmeal stout.

M- Fuller than average, but for an oatmeal stout it comes in at par. Very smooth. The carbonation is pretty far from the mouth-feel. While I tend to enjoy my beers with low carbonation, this one was one of few that made me think it could use more carbonation. It leaves a slightly dry sticky finish.

D- An interesting sort of hybrid brew combining a brown ale with an oatmeal stout. I enjoyed it, but it seemed a little weird for me. Not in a bad way, but a bit different from what I'm used to. I couldn't see myself drinking a lot of these for that reason.

A good effort from Short's, but I think I'll stick to their other brews from now on.

4.5/5  rDev +25%

4.27/5  rDev +18.6%

Beer pours nicely into beer mug. the brownish black bodied brew has a thin tan head that has good retention, moderate carbonation and excellent lacing that looks nice on the side of the mug. The smell is very much a roasted smell of coffee, peanuts, and some chocolate. The taste is of peanuts, a little bit of chocolate, caramel, some hops, and the ending taste is of coffee. It has a little bit of bitter in the taste, but mostly has a sweeter taste to it that is well balanced. The mouthfeel is a smooth creamy taste that has a nice medium to full body to this beer. The smoothness of this oatmeal stout makes this a beer that is very easy to drink. Great beer and a must try.

Short's Uber Goober Oatmeal Stout from Short's Brewing Company