Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Short's The Magician | Short's Brewing Company

Short's The MagicianShort's The Magician
3.47/5
Okay
Short's The MagicianShort's The Magician

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: Irish Red Ale

"A rich lustrous dark red London Ale. Rich malt complexities lending notes of toasted caramel, raisins, toffee, and slight roast chocolate. Very light hop additions let the true malt characters promenade throughout the tasting enjoyment this beer offers."

Added by CortexBomb on 03-21-2008

2.5/5  rDev -28%

3.72/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle thanks to genuinedisciple!

A: Amber/brown color with a small tan head that instantly receded.
S: Reminds me of my first homebrew. Fruity and floral. Some bready scent in there. Toffee.
T: Lots of dark fruits and maltiness. A floral hops finish.
M: Thin bodied, crisp and refreshing.
O: A good, easy drinking brew. I'd have more if I had the chance.

3.83/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance: Looks great. A deep, somewhat hazy red color with a tan head. The head doesn't last long, but there's some good looking lacing.

Smell: Sweet. Dark fruits, malts. Almost a bit of chocolate, but that doesn't come out in the flavor. Caramel in there a touch as well, and alcohol can be traced.

Taste/feel: I haven't had many Irish Reds, but this is my favorite of the four or so that I've had. As I'm not familiar with the style, I'm not completely sure about how they're SUPPOSED to taste, but this is just a good tasting beer. The malts up front with the dark fruits, tartness, and sweetness on the finish makes me want more. There seems to be a mild hop presence there, too. Just tastes great. The feel is fantastic -- a somewhat prickly carbonation, but the beer still goes down smooth.

Overall, I'm shocked at the 77/100 rating. That's a decent score, but I actually thoroughly enjoy this one, and it's one of my new favorites from Short's. That sour smell, tart flavor, malty finish.. all of it comes together well. May I have another?

4.5/5  rDev +29.7%