Short's Bourbon Barrel Sustenance Black Beer | Short's Brewing Company

Short's Bourbon Barrel Sustenance Black BeerShort's Bourbon Barrel Sustenance Black Beer

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: Schwarzbier

Availability: Spring

Sustenance Black Beer aged it in bourbon barrels for 11 months.

Added by Baileyuk on 04-28-2008

4.67/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a good old beer mug.

Appearance: Poured at a 45 degree angle, about 1/2 a finger of murky, mellow head. Perfectly opaque; dark brown color with visible resiliency. A bit skimpy on the lacing, but otherwise an amazing looking beer.

Smell: I feel like I've entered some outstanding celestial bakery. Sweet scents of vanilla and chocolate, a light fruit undertone and rounding out the bouquet, the spicy flavor of bourbon permeating the beverage.

Taste: Unbelievable. Bold, rich; I taste all the flavors that I smelled previously. This could be the best beer I've tasted in several months. The malt helps to emphasize the flavor as well.

Mouthfeel: Robust and very carbonated. It sizzles on the tongue with a subtly-sharp ambiance. Goes down smooth despite the heavy quality to the beer; the bottle didn't lie when it said this beer is great for when you're thirsty, great for when you're hungry.

Drinkability: I could drink one of these every night. I only bought one 12 ounce, but I'm sure that I could make a night of it if I had a 6-pack. Near perfect.

I was surprised by this beer; I haven't had good luck with black beers in the past, and was looking forward to another mediocre expedition. Thankfully, Short's has a high standard, and this was no exception. Amazing!

4.57/5  rDev +15.1%

Thank you Derek for this 22oz bottle!

Poured a dark brownish color with an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of wood/oak, vanilla, some bourbon, nutty, chocoalte, roast, and earthy. Tastes of vanilla, bourbon, dark fruits, chocolate, nuts, roast, and wood. Very nice!

Notes from 5/20/08

4.57/5  rDev +15.1%

"For When You're Hungry and Thirsty"

I love this label.

Pours black with a small off white head.

Smell: Carafa and Crystal Malts, Caramel, with just a hint of Bourbon.

Taste: Chocolate, Vanilla, and Brown Sugar. Slight oaky aftertaste. If I didn't know this was barrel aged I wouldn't have guessed. It blends so well into the beer. Light bodied and very easy to drink.

I hope the regular Sustenance makes a return so I can compare. If memory serves me right most of the difference is in the finish with mild vanilla notes being the main difference in the taste.

4.57/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured via 22oz. bomber at the Bullfrog Liquid Sunshine Reserva release. Big thanks to iceicebaby for sharing!

A - Poured a translucent chocolate brown body with walnut and mahogany accents and a slim beige head that reduced to a patchy retention and left a bit of lace around the glass.

S - Initial aroma released a waft of bourbon and vanilla goodness with a bit of chocolate sweetness. Malt presence is akin to Rice Krispies. Some caramel notes are also present.

T - This is simply a delicious schwarzbier with a subtle bourbon presence and lots of vanilla sweetness, but not overpowering at all. Crisp, rice-like malt with chocolate in the very backend through to the finish. Finish with just a slight astringent character and alcohol warmth.

M - Medium bodied and softly carbonated. Extremely smooth and creamy texture, although perhaps a bit thin in the mouthfeel overall. Alcohol presence is quite subtle.

D - This is a beautiful bourbon soaked beer from Short's, to say the least. Really glad I had the opportunity to try this, as I've loved everything I've had from Short's in the past, especially their dark beers. Drinkability is off the charts!

Short's Bourbon Barrel Sustenance Black Beer from Short's Brewing Company