S'more Stout

Rotating/Seasonal
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
S'more StoutS'more Stout
Notes: A complex stout brewed with graham cracker, chocolate, marshmallow, and smoked malt. The rich hearty flavors seem to take their turn as the subtle graham aromas lead pleasantly into sweet flavors of marshmallow cream covered in milk chocolate. All is followed by a slight lingering flavor of smoke when you add a flaming marshmallow garnish, which is strongly encouraged.
Reviews: 96 | Ratings: 201 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Dmleech:
Dmleech from Indiana

2.78/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Apr 27, 2018
younger35 from Minnesota

4.05/5  rDev +14.7%

Received a growler of this deliciousness from northernbrews. If this thing is half as good as Cup O' Joe then I'm in for a real treat. Shared with my buddy.

Consumed on Feb 20th 2009. Wrote the review then but didn't post for some damned reason.

Appearance- Pours a dark brownish black with hints of crimson with a small tan head that recedes quickly leaving no cap and thin collar. Not much in the way of lacing.
Smell- Lightly sweet with definite hints of marshmallow and chocolate. If I press hard enough I swear I get some gram cracker too. Vanilla bean and plenty of roast really pop as the beer warms and I get zero in the way of hops. This is malt and candy through and through.
Taste- Starts super chocolaty and rich with a light vanilla undertone that compliments the chocolate nicely. Sweet, (but not overly so) the alcohol kind of sneaks in helping to even everything off. Somewhat smoky as well but for the most part it just hangs in the background. Not an overly complex brew but very good.
Mouthfeel- Fairly full body with very light carbonation and a thick creamy feel.
Drinkability- Not sure what the ABV is on this bad boy but it's gotta be up there. After a couple glasses you can really feel it. And those couple glasses went down damned easy. Very good beer that I enjoyed thoroughly. Thanks much Jeff!!

Apr 14, 2009
MrMcGibblets from Illinois

3.12/5  rDev -11.6%

A: black, minimal receding tan head and lace.
S: has that signature short's smell (the house yeast?)-a fruity, funky thing-not necessarily good, but unique to short's. some chocolate and maybe coffee.
T: sourish. bittersweet chocolatey dark malts. not getting the graham crackers or marshmallows really. lingering sourness and some bitterness.
M: lighlty carbonated, slick, medium-bodied.
D: something is off as with the other experimental short's brews i've had. as with the others, high marks for creativity and low marks for execution. wouldn't have guessed the high abv.

Oct 17, 2010
jophish17 from Georgia

Dec 24, 2011
webmanspidey from Michigan

3.4/5  rDev -3.7%

12 ounce bottle. Pours a solid black, creamy with a slight tan head. Smell is very sweet with a strong dark chocolate presence and possibly a hint of graham crackers. Taste is initially dark chocolate that slowly blends with what is definitely the taste of sugary marshmallows. Graham cracker is slightly noticeable at the end. Despite the fairly high alcohol content this is very drinkable. Another interesting creation from Short's and worth trying.

Sep 03, 2010
mothman from Minnesota

3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

On tap at Great Taste 2010

I had no idea this was 9.2% abv

Pours a layer of tan head. Color is a dark brown.

Aroma/Taste: I was shocked, but I was actually able to get graham crackers out of this. It was unique and I give shorts props for bringing out this taste. I got a lot of burnt chocolate flavors with roasted malts. It was also creamy. I couldn't really pick out the marshmallows though.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy with some toasted notes to it. Medium to full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation.

Overall, this was another unique beer from shorts. After seeing the abv, this thing is fairly drinkable in that matter. I just wish the marshmallows would have shown.

Aug 20, 2010
shuajw from Georgia

Jan 22, 2012
domtronzero from California

2.72/5  rDev -22.9%

A - Clear dark brown with a small mocha-colored head. Frothy and short lived. Quickly dissipates into a thin ring around the glass. No Lacing.

S - Sweet sugary malts, dark roasted malts, little chocolate and light alcohol.

F/M - Dry roasted dark chocolate malts. Light caramel sweetness, very bitter, acrid almost burnt characteristic. Dry astringent finish. Medium body, medium carbonation. Lingering roasty aftertaste.

D - Okay, dry acrid and quite bitter, but kind of easy drinking although quite weird tasting.

Oct 19, 2010
Mora2000 from Texas

3.13/5  rDev -11.3%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle. First off, the beer had hard, white chunks floating on the top. At first I thought they were marshmellows, but they were very hard. Very strange.

The beer pours a dark brown color with red highlights. The aroma is graham crackers, honey and chocolate. The flavor is chocolate, smoke and roasted malt. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Some other people I drank this with thought it was showing signs of infection. I didn't get any of the sour notes that I have gotten in other Short's beers such as PB&J, but the mouthfeel was a little thinner that I think it should have been which could be from an infection.

I actually liked this beer a lot better than the other people that tried it. A very strange beer, but one that I am glad I got to try.

Oct 15, 2010
shulmm02 from Ohio

4.2/5  rDev +19%

Aug 27, 2019
dashirey from Pennsylvania

3.97/5  rDev +12.5%

So Deuane provided half of PA's BA community with Short's growler and I was lucky enough to score one of them. We (my wife and I) cracked it after a pretty rough day for her. It hit the spot!

A - Dark brown but opaque. One finger of tan head. Not much lacing left behind from this one.

S - The smell is a mixture of roasted malts, some smoke, milk chocolate, and with a deep inhale comes some alcohol.

T/M - At first, from the growler the most present taste in the roasted malts and some smoke. I knew it needed to warm some - so it did. That is when this one gets a lot more complex, in my opinion. Some chocolate, some smoke, then some sweet - that is where I get the marshmallow from. Under everything else there is a warming alcohol taste/sensation that is present. Not harsh alcohol but good for the kind of night it is and the kind of beer, it is just right. It is generally smooth (a little bite at the end) with good carbonation and medium bodied.

D - I like the beer - very complex tasting to say the least. I would drink it again, but not necessarily do everything in my power to seek it out.

Another creative and interesting brew from Joe Short that is definitely worth checking out if you have the chance! Thanks again Deuane!!

Dec 12, 2008
ChefBrown from Ohio

2.8/5  rDev -20.7%

Average stout. Dinged the taste only because I didn't taste anything it's suppose to be.

Aug 27, 2019
Huhzubendah from District of Columbia

2.67/5  rDev -24.4%

Bottle gifted by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

A: Dark brown with a thin, wispy head that leaves a few small traces of lacing randomly located around the glass.

S: Roasted malt with a big chocolate scent. Also, I detect a lactic scent that is slightly sour / milky.

T: The beer is honestly not very enjoyable. It's always fun to try a new beer, and especially one by Short's, a brewery that pushes the limits to the extreme. However, this beer does not taste like smores. I enjoy smores made on the campfire, but I struggle to find the connection between smores and this beer.

The flavor is mostly of burned malts, chocolates (which are the redeeming quality of the beer), and a slightly sour taste that I can only guess is the brewer's attempt to replicate a marshmallow flavor.

M: The body is too thin and frail to be associated with a stout of any kind. Carbonation level is on the low end of the spectrum.

D: I'm thankful for the opportunity to try this, but I won't have it again and I would not recommend it. I thought Short's PB & J was really innovative and fun. Strawberry Short's Cake was not only convincing, but incredibly tasty and very drinkable. I commend Short's for pushing the boundaries, but this beer just falls short.

Dec 06, 2010
glid02 from Georgia

3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

Bottle shared by Lee - thanks!

Pours one shade from black with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of heavy roasted malts with mild amounts of unsweetened chocolate. Also present are very slight amounts of burnt marshmellows.

Tastes more complex than it smells. Large roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by solid amounts of slightly sweet marshmellows. Midway through the sip semi-sweet chocolate flavors work their way into things along with a slight cracker flavor. The roasted malts and chocolate carry through to a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is alright. It's a bit on the thin side with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall I was actually surprised by how straightforward this beer was. A solid stout with a few small bells and whistles that's worth a shot.

Nov 22, 2010
md655321 from Michigan

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

Jul 08, 2014
Hojaminbag from Colorado

2.61/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

S'more has a dark brown body and a brown head. Retention and lacing are both OK.

The aroma is really sweet, and manages to smell a lot like a marshmallow with lots of sugar added into the mix. A little bit of chocolate swirls around in there also.

This one is sickeningly sweet. Burnt sugar leads off, with a marshmallow flavor following it. Lots of sweet chocolate, and some roasted malt. The burnt sugar definitely dominates. This beer does succeed in tasting a little bit like a s'more, but it is cloying and overly sweet.

This beer feels a little unpleasant due to its extreme sweetness, but it does seem to have adequate body and carbonation.

I couldn't even drink 12 ounces of this. A six pack would be out of the question. Too sweet and sugary.

Jan 26, 2011

JAHMUR from Connecticut

Nov 25, 2011
kbeals from North Carolina

3.77/5  rDev +6.8%

A- 12 oz. bottle decanted into a pint glass. Black in color with just a trace of fizzy brown head that dissipates rather quickly. Not much lacing to really speak of.

S- Good chocolatey roasted flavor. Muted aromas of marshmallow and toasted malts (graham cracker?) come through. Not exactly like a s'more, but a decent representation of one.

T- Not as good as the smell. The roasted chocolate flavors are still there in good amounts. It does have a sugary taste to it as well which makes me think of marshmallow. Interesting to say the least.

M- Medium body, good amounts of carbonation. About right for the style.

D- Pretty drinkable. I've also had this on tap with the flaming marshmallow, and it really does add to the characteristics of the brew. I suppose I could replicate this in my house pretty easy. A good brew from Short's, very innovative.

Sep 24, 2010

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

Nov 01, 2014
billab914 from Virginia

3.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Bruery tulip glass. It poured dark brown in color with a thin dusting for a head spread out over the beer.

The aroma really shows the graham crackers in it which is pretty interesting. A lot of dark, roasted malts with a moderate dark chocolate flavor come through as well. I'd like to say I get a little of the marshmallow in it and I think I do, but I'd never pick it out if it hadn't been written on the bottle. Pretty cool aroma overall and not bad.

The taste shows more milk chocolate to it then the nose did. Roasted, bitter malts come through pretty well also. less of the graham cracker comes through but it's still there. The finish shows a little of what could be the marshmallow, but again I wouldn't ever have picked it out if it wasn't written on the bottle. Pretty decent tasting beer overall with a little interesting element to it.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is decent, it had some good stout flavors and built some interesting flavors off of that. Not a bad beer overall, but not as cool and different as I had hoped.

Nov 09, 2010