Short's S'more Stout | Short's Brewing Company

Alströms:

4.5/5  rDev +32.7%

4.5/5  rDev +32.7%

4.35/5  rDev +28.3%

On tap at Short's Brewing Company, Bellaire, MI on 11/29/08 for the Brew-Ski event and Winter Stout release party.

A - Very dark brown body (bordering black) with a minimal light tan head that receded into a ring of retention. Garnished with a marshmallow floating on top!

S - Smells of dark roasted malt, chocolate, toasted marshmallows, brown sugar and a bit of vanilla. Some crusty malt is present, but not quite the graham cracker maltiness I was anticipating.

T - Lots of gooey toasted marshmallow goodness with dark chocolate malt that compliments quite nicely. There is a slight pie crust character in the finish with a tinge of earthy hop bitterness and mild sour character.

M - Smooth and creamy texture with soft carbonation and a sticky mouthfeel. Finish is mildly bitter.

D - This is a fantastic, unique stout with a toasted marshmallow character that just oozes flavor. This was indeed a brilliant idea for a stout. Kudos to Short's for creating this campfire favorite!

4.31/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

4.3/5  rDev +26.8%

A_Black with dark brown hue. Thin cinnamon colored head quickly dissipates into a thin ring leaving traces of lace.

S_Heavy cream,rich chocolate/roasted malt.

T_Sweet cream,rich milk chocolate, roasted malt. Slight pick up of graham cracker.No alcohol pick up at all.

M_Full bodied,slick,silky smooth.

D_Very drinkable. Unbelievable that the ABV is that high.

4.29/5  rDev +26.5%

Pours a dark brown, almost black color. It has a thin lacey head.

Great nose! A robust, roasted malt smell with hints of nuts and smoke. It also has an expresso aroma.

S'more Stout has a chocolaty taste. This stout has a smokey yet sweet taste. You also notice the graham cracker taste after two sips. Very tasty and delicious.

Smooth and creamy feel. I guess that's where the marshmallows come in.

Very drinkable, had 3 last night! Another unique and creative brew from Shorts.

4.27/5  rDev +26%

Coolest presentation for a beer at the pub. Actually served with a roasted marshmallow on a toothpick! Beer great, but don't eat that marshmallow:/

4.25/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev +25.1%

Deep brown murky body. It is obvious this is an unfiltered beer with the amount of sediment in suspension. 1 finger cafe au lait head quickly recedes leaving only a slight cap. Spotty lacing along the side of the glass. While the appearance certainly does not bother me with this particular beer, to be fair it has to be rated low.

The aroma starts the process of making up for the appearance. The aroma blends smoke, chocolate and sweet vanilla beautifully. I am amazed what marshmallow fluff can bring to a beer. The sweet vanilla cream noted in the Short's beers with Marshmallow is outstanding. Very little graham cracker noticed, if it is there it is subtle.

Piece by piece the flavors layer to create a flavor which accurately reflects a S'more. The darker flavors dominate the front of the palate. Smoke, chocolate and roasted malt flavors are strong. Just beneath the creamy marshmallow can be found. The graham is still one of the more subtle flavors but easier to identify the flavor than the aroma. The flavor is dead on as far as I am concerned. It is different, but it is good.

Medium bodied beer. Texture is mostly creamy though the sediment adds a bit of a grainy texture which I suppose lends itself to the authenticity of a S'more. Flavors are rich and dig into the tongue for a slow finish.

There are two things Joe Short does well 1- Crazy beer 2-hiding the alcohol. With this beer coming in at 9.2% there is not even a trace of the booze or heat. While the flavor could be to much for some to drink multiple, those who do may find the room starts spinning sooner than anticipated. Drinkability is ridiculous.

4.23/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.2/5  rDev +23.9%

so i decided last night to break out 10, thats right 10 new shorts beers for a nice sampling with the family. turns out my and my brother in law were the only ones willing to go down this road, so long afternoon for sure. serve cold and consumed on 10/02/2010.

a nice pour starts it off quite nicely with a dark brown color and smooth one finger head of dark tan that hung around long enough and with enough power to coat the top of the glass quite nicely..

aroma is very sweet. lots of chocolate and what can only be described as a graham cracker like aroma mixed with a hint of smoked notes. very interesting for sure. as i take the first sip it becomes apparent that this one, unlike some of the others of the day is going to work quite nicely. smooth mellow chocolate and smoked notes mix well with a thick malty base an a smooth, graham cracker like flavor that imparts hints of the namesake. no touch of abv in this one at all, in fact i had no idea this was over 9 percent and drank like it was 4. smooth and creamy sweet finish really left that smoked note on the palate for a good bit.

overall a very, very solid beer that i thoroughly enjoyed. one of the better of these interesting new shorts beers.

4.16/5  rDev +22.7%

4.07/5  rDev +20.1%

I had this after a long day of skiing right at the Short's Pub in Bellaire, MI.

Appearance: It came out in a snifter, with a toasted marshmallow half-burnt lying across the top of the glass.

Smell: Slightly graham crackery, but enough chocolate to cover the smell of the marshmallow splayed across the top (which I clearly ate before I drank the beer).

Taste: Strong chocolate and sugary taste... probably trying to allow for the marshmallow flavor for the places carrying this who don't drop a mallow on top.

Mouthfeel: Nice full feel, but still not as thick as some stouts I've had. Carbonation was low, but bar staff also told me the tap was acting up before I ordered.

Overall: Appearance really hit a 5.0 for me, but after the novelty wears off, this just seems more like exactly that; a novelty, not so much a stout.

4.06/5  rDev +19.8%

Notes from 8/10/10 On-tap at HopCat

Served in a tulip glass with a toasted marshmallow garnish, just like they do at Short's when I had this last December. Black in color with virtually no head, the look isn't doing it for me. Perhaps the lack of head is a result of the mallow garnish?

The smell is a redeeming quality when compared to the appearance. Rich chocolate, smoky wood, and dark malts blend to remind of a campfire. But again, that could be a result of the marshmallow garnish. Either way, it smells good.

Believe it or not, I can tell there is marshmallow from the taste. Dark chocolate blends with the mallow to produce a sweet and slightly sour taste..It is a little funky but works. Somewhere in the middle of the taste is toasted barley. I may detect some graham cracker, but my brain might be playing tricks on me. The aftertaste is a touch sour which reminds me of banana and coconut lingering for a moment.

This is rather full in the mouth leaving a rich feeling and an almost candy coating on my teeth.

I would say average drinkability considering its ABV. Well done on a fun rendition of a stout.

4.05/5  rDev +19.5%

Received a growler of this deliciousness from northernbrews. If this thing is half as good as Cup O' Joe then I'm in for a real treat. Shared with my buddy.

Consumed on Feb 20th 2009. Wrote the review then but didn't post for some damned reason.

Appearance- Pours a dark brownish black with hints of crimson with a small tan head that recedes quickly leaving no cap and thin collar. Not much in the way of lacing.
Smell- Lightly sweet with definite hints of marshmallow and chocolate. If I press hard enough I swear I get some gram cracker too. Vanilla bean and plenty of roast really pop as the beer warms and I get zero in the way of hops. This is malt and candy through and through.
Taste- Starts super chocolaty and rich with a light vanilla undertone that compliments the chocolate nicely. Sweet, (but not overly so) the alcohol kind of sneaks in helping to even everything off. Somewhat smoky as well but for the most part it just hangs in the background. Not an overly complex brew but very good.
Mouthfeel- Fairly full body with very light carbonation and a thick creamy feel.
Drinkability- Not sure what the ABV is on this bad boy but it's gotta be up there. After a couple glasses you can really feel it. And those couple glasses went down damned easy. Very good beer that I enjoyed thoroughly. Thanks much Jeff!!

4.04/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

4.01/5  rDev +18.3%

Poured from bottle to tulip. From Short's re-released version (first recalled version apparently suffered from too many Graham floaties for the brewery's liking). Pours pitch black with a thin finger of head that's here and gone. No lacing left behind. Some floaties, no big deal. Graham cracker, cocoa, char, burnt sugar on the nose. Feel is slick and on the fuller side. Flavor is cocoa, char, marshmallow. Flavors become richer the more it warms. Smooth at 8%. Have yet to try it brewery style with a toasted marshmallow garnish, may have to try it with my last bottle.

Fourth beer of the night...I have been eating a ton to make sure I am not inebriated! It is working great because I'm not even remotely tipsy which makes for great beer reviews! A third beer enjoyed tonight courtesy of erikkoppin. I have been wanting to try this beer for quite some time after reading about it on the forums (despite it getting mixed reviews). Let's see how it fares!

Appearance - Pours jet black into my Bell's Tulip. About a finger of quickly dissipating tan head is achieved that leaves little lacing on the sides of the glass. Right off the bat, I will say there are NO chunks or anything remotely close to what people have been describing in their beers. So I find this to be a positive sign.

Smell - Sweet chocolate, a most DEFINITE graham cracker aroma (and I emphasize this because it honestly does smell like smores, creepy almost). Hints of smokiness and coffee.

Taste - After the initial taste I am relived to say this is not an infected or messed up S'more Stout others have been talking about. Loads of chocolate, bready/graham cracker, just a hint of marshmallow, and a surprisingly smoky flavor, which let's face it, is part of the enjoyment of smores (having that great smoky flavor imparted onto the actual smore...makes me miss Traverse City from this summer). Quite enjoyable tonight and I can't wait to tell my brother-in-law and fellow beer geek about this beer tomorrow.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

Drinkability - To be frank, quite so. I didn't realize the ABV until I looked at the description. I was expecting 5-7 tops, not 9. I enjoyed this beer quite a bit. I feel bad for the people who have gotten infected bottles, because Short's puts out some amazing beers. I hope in the near future they figure out all infection issues because this is a world class brewery and it is only a matter of time until they explode with [even more] popularity. Another well done beer by Short's!

[edit] So I had another one of these tonight and it was starting to turn infected (tartness to it) and I can see how if someone drank this over a non-infected S'more Stout they would have negative reviews - sucks how different this beer is with a bit of infection. Oh well, I got one damn good one in!

Reviewed on 3-3-11
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A - Poured a dark brew with one finger of creamy foam. Decent lacing ring with little carbonation present

S - Malt's, chocolate with not much hop nose

T/M - Interesting taste, chocolate comes into play, real malty. Can't tell if I am tasting the marshmallow though. No hop bitterness at all

D - Pretty drinkable stout. Malty brew that went down pretty smooth. I would only drink one of these though; it was a little too sweet for me. I recommend people trying it but I wouldn't seek this brew out again.

Short's S'more Stout from Short's Brewing Company