Short's S'more Stout | Short's Brewing Company

Style: American Stout

Added by ffejherb on 12-03-2008

3.3

Reviews: 84 | Ratings: 156

Fourth beer of the night...I have been eating a ton to make sure I am not inebriated! It is working great because I'm not even remotely tipsy which makes for great beer reviews! A third beer enjoyed tonight courtesy of erikkoppin. I have been wanting to try this beer for quite some time after reading about it on the forums (despite it getting mixed reviews). Let's see how it fares!

Appearance - Pours jet black into my Bell's Tulip. About a finger of quickly dissipating tan head is achieved that leaves little lacing on the sides of the glass. Right off the bat, I will say there are NO chunks or anything remotely close to what people have been describing in their beers. So I find this to be a positive sign.

Smell - Sweet chocolate, a most DEFINITE graham cracker aroma (and I emphasize this because it honestly does smell like smores, creepy almost). Hints of smokiness and coffee.

Taste - After the initial taste I am relived to say this is not an infected or messed up S'more Stout others have been talking about. Loads of chocolate, bready/graham cracker, just a hint of marshmallow, and a surprisingly smoky flavor, which let's face it, is part of the enjoyment of smores (having that great smoky flavor imparted onto the actual smore...makes me miss Traverse City from this summer). Quite enjoyable tonight and I can't wait to tell my brother-in-law and fellow beer geek about this beer tomorrow.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

Drinkability - To be frank, quite so. I didn't realize the ABV until I looked at the description. I was expecting 5-7 tops, not 9. I enjoyed this beer quite a bit. I feel bad for the people who have gotten infected bottles, because Short's puts out some amazing beers. I hope in the near future they figure out all infection issues because this is a world class brewery and it is only a matter of time until they explode with [even more] popularity. Another well done beer by Short's!

[edit] So I had another one of these tonight and it was starting to turn infected (tartness to it) and I can see how if someone drank this over a non-infected S'more Stout they would have negative reviews - sucks how different this beer is with a bit of infection. Oh well, I got one damn good one in!

3.13/5  rDev -5.2%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle. First off, the beer had hard, white chunks floating on the top. At first I thought they were marshmellows, but they were very hard. Very strange.

The beer pours a dark brown color with red highlights. The aroma is graham crackers, honey and chocolate. The flavor is chocolate, smoke and roasted malt. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Some other people I drank this with thought it was showing signs of infection. I didn't get any of the sour notes that I have gotten in other Short's beers such as PB&J, but the mouthfeel was a little thinner that I think it should have been which could be from an infection.

I actually liked this beer a lot better than the other people that tried it. A very strange beer, but one that I am glad I got to try.

3.82/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter. Special thanks to joshuaseresse for this from our trade!

A: Pours a rather sickly looking, Tootsie Roll brown with no trace of head or lace. Some oily looking smears were left on the inside of the glass.

S: Slightly sour lactic aroma that was much like the sour notes that were present in P,B,&J and Uber Goober...but on a much smaller scale. Once I got past that it began to open up. Milk chocolate, fudge brownie, graham crackers, and flourless chocolate cake.

T: The sour notes of the smell are barely there in the taste, which follows the nose very closely. As the bottle wore on a slightly smoky, campfire flavor seeped out.

M: Very sticky with a fair amount creaminess. A slightly peppery alcohol sizzle played around on my tongue and lips and left a long lasting prickle behind.

D: Actually very easy to drink. After the initial hint of sour I was expecting this to be a full-on train wreck. Not so, at all. Actually, this was very enjoyable and the alcohol, while there, wasn't in your face.

3.08/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a nice mahogany brown color with moderate carbonation evident and one inch of tan head that lasts for 1-2 minutes. On top of the beer is a little bit of off white/tan sediment that looks like Swiss Miss hot chocolate, which I think is what they were going for.

s - Smells of sweet chocolate, roasted malts, cocoa, and graham cracker/bready malts. Also some light smokey malts and coffee. Also getting some sour lactic in the nose, which drags it down a bit to me.

t - Tastes of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, roasted malts, light coffee, light alcohol, and cream, which kind of gives it the s'more taste. Hint of sourness but not as much as the smell. A step up from the smell.

m - Light body and moderate to high carbonation.

d - Not the best stout I've had but I'm glad I got to try it and I appreciate what they were going for. I definitely enjoyed this beer more than the Key Lime Pie Short's beer I had a few days ago, but again, there was some sour/lactic that I did not find enjoyable. Might give another shot but certainly wouldn't seek out again.

3.15/5  rDev -4.5%

Thanks Dan for sharing this one on Friday. Poured a light brownish color with a pretty small head that disapated quickly. Aroma is chocolate, marshmallows, and toasted malt. Taste is where this one threw me for a loop: SWEET, almost excessively sweet with chocolate and a touch of vanilla. Nice effort but I seriously doubt I'd seek this one out again unless I could share it with a few others.

3.67/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a dark brown color, somewhat murky (although with none of the marshmellow that I have heard could be found floating around) with a smallish off-white head. Aromas of milk and dark chocolate, marshmellow (and according to one of my fellow tasters, a little graham cracker). On the palate, this one is very chocolatey and pretty sweet, with vanilla, powdered cocoa, cream and lightly roasted malt. Pretty solid, but not one I'd actively seek out again.

2.72/5  rDev -17.6%

Thanks to my parents for picking some of this up in Michigan. Poured into a snifter.

Pours chestnut brown with a touch of cream. No head even on a hard pour. No lacing. Won't dock it too far given the style and alcohol content. Nose brings forward a good dose of chocolate and a slight acetic character. Taste is slight chocolate and not much else other than a bit of sourness. Feel is really thin and partly sour. Poor drinkability.

3.09/5  rDev -6.4%

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter

A: The darkest of brown, but not quite black in color. Only a ΒΌ finger head on this beer, that quickly fades into a swirl of bubbles with a crown. A small amount of lacing.

S: Sweeter than I expected, but nice notes of brown sugar, chocolate, and graham cracker. Not much in the way of marshmallow here.

T: Well, for the name S'more Stout, I don't know where the freshly off the campfired marshmallow, chocolate, and graham cracker are. A lot of Short's beers I get what they were going for (i.e. strawberry short's cake, key lime pie, etc...) But here, this tastes nothing like a s'more to me. This tastes like a coffee with way too much sugar added to it. There is only a faint hint of graham cracker, and almost no discernable marshmallow or chocolate.

M: Way too light for my liking. This is as thin as can be and is also quite undercarbonated.

D: Overall, this doesn't taste bad, and isn't that hard to drink, but is still quite a disappointment. Still, at 9.2% ABV, the alcohol is undetectable. I guess, this would be a really good beer to get drunk off of because it goes down easy, isn't all that flavorful, and is light. Short's has always been kind of hit or miss in my book...this one is a miss.

2.5/5  rDev -24.2%

One of my big wants from one of my favorite breweries. Support your midwest brewers!! Big thanks to glazeman for this one.

A - Dark brown with no head and no lacing. Looks like black coffee that's been sitting out for a day or two.

S - Coffee, chocolate, figs, and...poop. Not good.

T - Similar to the appearance, tastes sort of like stale, burnt coffee that's been sitting out for a few days. A hint of sour chocolate in the finish, but no graham crackers and certainly no marshmallows.

M - Good. Nice consistency for a high ABV American stout.

D - Very drinkable with regards to the lack of alcohol heat. But let's be honest - the drinkability of this beer is severely limited by it's taste. This is just not a good beer. That being said, at 9.20% ABV, I'd rather drink three of these and get hammered than barrel my way through 6 Coors lites...

4.2/5  rDev +27.3%

so i decided last night to break out 10, thats right 10 new shorts beers for a nice sampling with the family. turns out my and my brother in law were the only ones willing to go down this road, so long afternoon for sure. serve cold and consumed on 10/02/2010.

a nice pour starts it off quite nicely with a dark brown color and smooth one finger head of dark tan that hung around long enough and with enough power to coat the top of the glass quite nicely..

aroma is very sweet. lots of chocolate and what can only be described as a graham cracker like aroma mixed with a hint of smoked notes. very interesting for sure. as i take the first sip it becomes apparent that this one, unlike some of the others of the day is going to work quite nicely. smooth mellow chocolate and smoked notes mix well with a thick malty base an a smooth, graham cracker like flavor that imparts hints of the namesake. no touch of abv in this one at all, in fact i had no idea this was over 9 percent and drank like it was 4. smooth and creamy sweet finish really left that smoked note on the palate for a good bit.

overall a very, very solid beer that i thoroughly enjoyed. one of the better of these interesting new shorts beers.

2.88/5  rDev -12.7%

Sampled on 10-2-10

Pours very thick and black, almost completely opaque with just a little red around the edges. No head, wit just a thin film of lacing.

Smell is very smoky and malty, with a hit of molasses and the tiniest bit of hops. All sweetness and smokiness, a little too one sided.

Taste is sweet and sour, a little off, with lots of malty and smoky flavors. Not very complex, with a slightly boozy and metallic finish. Not good.

Mouthfeel is way too thin, and does not help the thick, malty, flavors. Sharp carbonation doesn't help either.

Drinkability is poor, a result of the taste and mouthfeel.

Overall, an ambitious beer, but a miss.

3.28/5  rDev -0.6%

I am very excited for this stout. Although I reviewed Key Lime a bit earlier and found myself very disapointed. I hope this one is better.

A: Quite a bit of sediment on the bottom tried to leave most in the bottle. Pour a nice black color. The head dissapoints... there is none.
S: Smells of doughy yeast, dark chocolate, bit of coffee and some vanilla. I can pick up the smell of a S'more with a big whiff.
T: Dark chocolate and balck coffee. Finishes with a but of earthy bitterness. Im not getting the S'more taste as much as I did the smell.
M: Medium mouth feel. I like my stouts a creamier. Finishes with a decent bitterness and wet.
D: Drinkability is just okay for me. I will finish the 12 oz bottle with ease but I do not need another.

Im comarison to the newly released FBS this is a huge dissapointment. It is just a average stout for me. The name and bottle marketing is better than the product inside.

3.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Draft at the Great Taste. Pours a dark tan brown color with a nice tan head. Surprisingly, it does kind of smell like a Smore! Graham cracker and sweetness in the nose with some chocolaty roast notes as well. Sweet and smooth flavor with a balnce of graham cracker and marshmallow flavor. Slightly bitter ending kind of gives it away as not being a real smore. Medium/heavy mouthfeel. Overall, a good attempt that I think is a cool idea but not sure I would/could drink a whole lot of this. Didn't pick up any alcohol in the taste.

3.77/5  rDev +14.2%

A- 12 oz. bottle decanted into a pint glass. Black in color with just a trace of fizzy brown head that dissipates rather quickly. Not much lacing to really speak of.

S- Good chocolatey roasted flavor. Muted aromas of marshmallow and toasted malts (graham cracker?) come through. Not exactly like a s'more, but a decent representation of one.

T- Not as good as the smell. The roasted chocolate flavors are still there in good amounts. It does have a sugary taste to it as well which makes me think of marshmallow. Interesting to say the least.

M- Medium body, good amounts of carbonation. About right for the style.

D- Pretty drinkable. I've also had this on tap with the flaming marshmallow, and it really does add to the characteristics of the brew. I suppose I could replicate this in my house pretty easy. A good brew from Short's, very innovative.

2.91/5  rDev -11.8%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Thanks go to splax23 for a couple of these in trade.

Pours a deep brown, with a finger of frothy dark mocha colored head. Creamy looking retention on this, that leaves plenty of brown oils and spotty frothy lace behind. The aroma smells of chocolate roast and milky sweetness, giving the nose a sugary tang that is only enhanced by some green citric hop character that hangs on the edges. While not terrible, I would definitely say that some more definition and strength were needed here.

The chocolate flavor is thick here in the taste, as is astringent roast and lactic sweetness, which all combine to give this a somewhat souring component as this warms up. The sweet sugars of the cocoa and graham cracker tries to cover this up but there is also some green herbal hop textures that are present as well and only help add to this. That sweet earthy tang just seems to hang forever on the palate and honestly, gets to be a bit tiresome. The mouthfeel has a thicker medium body on it, with more of a creamy and bubbly feel to the carbonation that stays pretty easy feeling overall despite the sharpness of the flavors. Is this beer really 9%? What is the point of that? I will say that I only got a little warmth hanging back but not nearly enough considering the size of this, which helps give the feel some points.

I can see what they were shooting for with this one but man, the final product just didn't work out at all. The sweetness here plus the roast and the hops all just offered too much of the same thing and when all melded together like that were just overload. I managed to finish the bottle but I have to say, the flavors here were a bit of a mess.

3.82/5  rDev +15.8%

Bottle shared by twig86, thanks!

a - pours a deep black color, half-inch khaki colored head with light retention and lacing

s - lots of dark roasted malt in the aroma, dark chocolate, light marshmallow and graham cracker, not much alcohol detectable

t - dark chocolate and toasty malt dominate, much lighter notes of graham cracker and toasty marshmallow (if I looked for it) along with vanilla, alcohol is pretty well hidden

m - medium-bodied, very light carbonation, light alcohol warming, well-balanced finish

d - fairly drinkable for a 9+% abv stout, I don't really get the s'more character out of it, but it's a pretty good stout nonetheless, relatively easy on the palate and the alcohol is well-hidden

Very nice stout overall, but this doesn't really exude a s'more character for me. Well worth a try if you can come across a bottle.

2.9/5  rDev -12.1%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint.

(A)- Pours a black color that produced a decent tan colored head that dissipated almost immediately to froth.

(S)- A lightly dusty cocoa aroma in front of a nutty peanut-like creamy raisin roasted profile.

(T)- Same like the smell, but with a big sugar-bomb creamy marshmallow-like creamy cocoa profile. Hints of molasses and raisin.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. A bit sweet for my taste, but it does fit its name.

(D)- I always will (and have) applauded Shorts for producing some of the most unique beers out on the market, and this one is no different. Smooth and fits the style, but is ridiculously sweet; too sugary for my taste. Still an enjoyable twist, but I could only have this in small doses.

2.11/5  rDev -36.1%

With a name like S'more Stout... how could this be so bad? Poured from the bottle (cool label) into a Saison Dupont glass.

Pour let me know, immediately, that something wasn't right. Deep dark brown, barely any head, and a gross cap of what looks to be tiny chunks of graham cracker and marshmallow. What head was initially at the top is gone in, literally, seconds. Sigh.

Smell is okay. It's not repulsive, but it's nowhere as rich and decadent that a "robust stout" brewed to be like a freaking s'more should be. Chocolate, dark malt, roast. Marshmallow and graham cracker seem to be there as well, but in such small quantities that I very well could be imagining it.

Taste is not great. Weirdly medicinal. Dark chocolate, but it's somehow cheap, lacking a depth of character that I would like. Marshmallow is kinda there, but as a sickly sweetness. Graham, I don't taste. No discernible hop character. I can't taste a bit of the 9.2%, so that's impressive, I guess. Way too sweet.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and flat. This beer needs carbonation.

Drinkability: Not for me. I drank about a quarter of the bottle and then gave the rest to my girlfriend, who seemed to loathe it less than me.

This one's not great. I'd avoid it, despite how awesome it sounds like it would be.

3.73/5  rDev +13%

12 oz bottle poured into my Troegs pint glass.

This interesting brew pours a chocolate black with a chunky mocha colored head that quickly fades leaving lots of lacing and a thin film of... wait a second, that's not head or lacing at all, it's actually chunks of graham cracker. I thought they made a s'more stout, not liquefied an actual s'more and put it in a bottle.

Smell is mostly of roast, burnt coffee with a little hint of graham cracker from the floating chunks, I presume.

Tastes more like a coffee stout to me than anything. Mostly burnt coffee with hints of graham cracker and dark chocolate. I'm not really getting marshmallow, but it does make a nice coffee stout.

Mouthfeel is medium and a little grainy, with light carbonation. Drinkability is high as it's not too over the top in any category and goes down easy. I wouldn't have guessed s'mores in a blind tasting (aside from the graham cracker floaties) but it's a nice beer overall.

1.49/5  rDev -54.8%

After enjoying the Strawberry Short's Cake and being very impressed with the Key Lime Pie, this was a HUGE disappointment. I poured the first one down the drain, then after I opened this one I realized that it wasn't just that bottle; maybe they actually meant it to be like this? No, probably just crazy infected. This is not a good beer.

A - The head lasted all of 5 seconds, revealing what I can only assume are graham cracker crumbs floating on the surface and clinging to the inside of the glass where one would expect lace. LOTS of them. It looks like a goddamn yeast infection, and not the magical kind.

S - Smells like sour chocolate milk, nuts, and sweet smoke.

T - At least it does not taste as bad as it looks, although the sight of it is killing the experience. Anyway, there is no trace of graham cracker or marshmallow, and no more chocolate than, say, Brooklyn Brown Ale. There is an almost redeeming toasted/roasty thing going on, but it does not cover up the milky sour twang. The abv. is extremely well hidden.

M - Mouthfeel is mealy and watery. Carbonation is lifeless.

I haven't had em all, but from a purely objective stance, this may be the worst stout that I've ever had. I have a few more, can't wait to see what happens to this beer in a few months.

4.3/5  rDev +30.3%

A_Black with dark brown hue. Thin cinnamon colored head quickly dissipates into a thin ring leaving traces of lace.

S_Heavy cream,rich chocolate/roasted malt.

T_Sweet cream,rich milk chocolate, roasted malt. Slight pick up of graham cracker.No alcohol pick up at all.

M_Full bodied,slick,silky smooth.

D_Very drinkable. Unbelievable that the ABV is that high.

4.24/5  rDev +28.5%

Deep brown murky body. It is obvious this is an unfiltered beer with the amount of sediment in suspension. 1 finger cafe au lait head quickly recedes leaving only a slight cap. Spotty lacing along the side of the glass. While the appearance certainly does not bother me with this particular beer, to be fair it has to be rated low.

The aroma starts the process of making up for the appearance. The aroma blends smoke, chocolate and sweet vanilla beautifully. I am amazed what marshmallow fluff can bring to a beer. The sweet vanilla cream noted in the Short's beers with Marshmallow is outstanding. Very little graham cracker noticed, if it is there it is subtle.

Piece by piece the flavors layer to create a flavor which accurately reflects a S'more. The darker flavors dominate the front of the palate. Smoke, chocolate and roasted malt flavors are strong. Just beneath the creamy marshmallow can be found. The graham is still one of the more subtle flavors but easier to identify the flavor than the aroma. The flavor is dead on as far as I am concerned. It is different, but it is good.

Medium bodied beer. Texture is mostly creamy though the sediment adds a bit of a grainy texture which I suppose lends itself to the authenticity of a S'more. Flavors are rich and dig into the tongue for a slow finish.

There are two things Joe Short does well 1- Crazy beer 2-hiding the alcohol. With this beer coming in at 9.2% there is not even a trace of the booze or heat. While the flavor could be to much for some to drink multiple, those who do may find the room starts spinning sooner than anticipated. Drinkability is ridiculous.

3.94/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- A very deep, dark murky brown, bordering on black liquid. The head is very thin and splotchy and almost disappears.

S- Smells exactly what is advertised. Smells of burnt marshmallow, bonfire, chocolate, and graham cracker. Sweet and smoky. Very intriguing.

T- Smoke, chocolate, graham cracker, and some alcohol. Odd, but at the same time what I expected.

M- A very smooth body, but the lasting smokiness is a bit much.

D- Rich and tasty. One bottle is enough. Definitely an experience. Would probably go great around a bonfire in the fall.

1.9/5  rDev -42.4%

$2.30 for a 12oz single @ Jacks. A "robust stout brewed with graham cracker crumbs, milk chocolate and marshmallow". No ABV on the bottle. Unfiltered. Thick layer of sediment on the bottom of the bottle. Pours out to a murky dark brown, forming a small light tan soapy head with poor retention and no lacing. The aroma is of sour milk, chocolate, black walnut, faint herbal hop presence, faint smoke, maybe some dark molasses, but definitely no graham cracker or marshmallow. Overall, the nose is sadly, pretty dang gross. The mouthfeel is sour, VERY chalky, medium bodied, lightly carbonated. The taste is VERY chalky...very mineralized, sour, smoke, burnt malts. Sickly. Sits in the stomach poorly. I definitely don't get marshmallow or graham.

One of the grossest beers I've had in a long time. The combination of the chalk, sourness and smoke was revolting. I'd be interested in trying it on tap, because the other reviews here are mostly tap/growler and people seem to like it. Definitely a no-go in the bottle for me.

3.65/5  rDev +10.6%

I wanted to love this, but just found it underwhelming.

It is flat as all get out looking like a glass of cola that has been sitting for a day or two. Dark but not thick at all.

The smell is all burnt, smoky chocolate for me. I don't pick up much s'mores..just chocolate.

The taste I wish was all graham and marshmallow with chocolate on top, but it isn't. I just pick up the chocolate again...I'm so disappointed.

Mouthfeel is thinner than expected, but ok. Not thick at all, but gives a little bit of coating on the inside of the mouth.

Drinkability is good..you could hit these for a while. With ABV this high, it would hit you far before you'd realize it.

Short's S'more Stout from Short's Brewing Company