Anniversary Ale | Short's Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

2009 Tap only
2010 Tap and bottle
2013 Tap and bottle

Same recipe every year, according to the brewer, though ABV varies slightly.

"Anniversary Ale~ A high gravity wheat wine made with blood oranges that render an alluring dark purple hue to the color. Flavor abounds from the spice of green peppercorns and tang from blood orange zest. Aggressive dry hop additions amplify the citrus overtones and spiciness found throughout. ‘Anni’ Ale typifies the full magnitude of Short’s Brewing Company by embodying all the complexities and fulfillment necessary to pay tribute to another year of brewing. 10% ABV 63 IBU's"

Added by hoppymeal on 05-08-2009

Reviews: 204 | Ratings: 517
4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

Thanks biernutz for the hook-up on this one.

A: Red-orange pour with a slightly pinkish thin cap on top. Head was small but stayed present throughout.

S: Sweet blood orange zest, slight floral hops, and that distinctive tangy-spice of preserved green peppercorns. It actually smells a little strange all combined together, as a foodie though I know sometimes strange combinations have a weird synergy of aromas. I really think its the citrus and the vinegar from the peppercorns bouncing off each other.

T: Did someone just give me that bait-and-switch, is this a Seabreeze with seltzer? Its like carbonated grapefruit juice with only the slightest presence of alcohol, no way I would guess this one to be nearing 12%. Blood orange zest works really well with the peppercorns in the taste to enhance the hops. Citrusy, spicy, and a little sweet.

M: Seems to be approaching a syrup. I'm going to cellar one and see what happens. Carbonation was active despite the viscosity.

D: Reading through previous reviews I almost have to question my taste. It seems a lot of what I liked about this beer wasn't a big hit with others. I'm glad I got this one recommended to me though. I think I could drink these until I passed out; wouldn't have guessed this was above 6%. I see how the smell could be off-putting to some but if you stick around its gold. Nectar of the Gods in a few years time? I hope so.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

appearance - a true blood orange in color. impressive. eggshell head that is fluffy and sticky and sticks around till i finish my sample.

smell - orange peel and juice, some tartness... not sure where thats coming from, spices (hard to name), perhaps white peppercorn and others. some citrus

taste - follows the nose. very original, crazy but in a good way.

mouthfeel - drinkable, medium to thick bodied, curious how this would age. good carbonation for the body.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle from IAmJacksHopTongue (much appreciated!). No bottle date but just released early May. Served in a Burnt Hickory snifter.

Pours cloudy amber orange with a quarter finger pale head that fades quickly without leaving any lace.

Smells so inviting with strong blood orange, candy sugar, mild spice some pronounced hops and a faint tickle of alcohol.

Those blood oranges are featured prominently in the flavor. Bold bitter sweet orange, caramelized wheat, slight peppercorn, citrus rind hops and booze. A nice mix.

Oily medium full body with very light carbonation. Spicy, bittersweet citrus and peppercorn finish.

I'm glad I traded for several of these. The first couple I found a bit strange but the more I drink, the more I like this. It's a great original take on wheatwines with such potent blood orange flavor and it goes down dangerously easily for a 10% brew. Highly recommended for any fellow wheatwine fans because it's like no other. I'll be trading for some of this every year.

4.26/5  rDev +7.6%

Served this 12 oz. brown bottle in a Sierra Nevada Hops glass. Minimal head despite a strong pour. The body was turbid, bright reddish brown color. The head left a white film of foam. Lots of sediment in the bottle and glass.

The smell was simple but intense. Citrus and mild peppercorns. Sweet red grapefruits and spicy.

The taste reflected the aroma. It was almost like drinking a fresh glass of Ruby Red grapefruit juice. I guess it is more like blood orange juice. Very well hidden alcohol, it's hard to believe this beer is over 5%, let alone the 11.70 % listed! Grapefruit pith and a dry green, bittering finish.

The mouthfeel was mildly carbonated and medium in body.

4.26/5  rDev +7.6%

This is @&$/(ing fantastic. It's a dry wheat ale (wheat wine) 11% abv with a sweet blood orange flavor up front and blood orange bitterness in the middle from zest. It finishes with a dry peppery spike to the tongue from green peppercorns. The hops are centennial and just on the nose. Quality brew

4.27/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I've had this out on draft, day old firkin, and out of the bottle, both fresh and up to three years old now. I absolutely love short's anniversary. It is far from the most complex wheatwine I've tasted but it is just bursting with fresh blood orange flavor that never comes off as artificial in any way. It is refreshingly tart and easy drinking for a 10% ale which makes it a dangerous drink on a summer day. I am far from a short's fanboy, infact I'm not really a big fan of them as a whole but anniversary ale is fantastic.

4.27/5  rDev +7.8%

A - Nice tan foamy head. Brew is cloudy orange color.

S - Lots of citrus! Some sweet fruits too. suagry. some orange and lime.

T - Unique bitterness. Lots of grapefruit. some unusual orange flavors and perfectly floral.

M - Smooth, sweet bitterness. Wonderful carbonation. No heat.

O - This brew optimizes what I love about Shorts. Very unique brew. Yum. Nice sweetness, very refreshing. Highly recommended, unique brew. Very sweet, but in a good way.

4.3/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- A clear, deep red liquid with some orange highlights. The bone white head is creamy and has some decent retention.

S- Oranges, pine, fruit punch, flowers, alcohol, and a bit of pepper. Complex and very appealing.

T- Caramel, grapefruit, oranges, peppercorns, and a bit of nuttiness. Unique and delicious without getting too crazy.

M- Very smooth body with a touch of lasting bitterness and alcohol warmth. The sweetness keeps things in check.

D- Overall, the alcohol is hidden extraordinarily well and the sweetness isn't too rich. Drinks far too easily for the ABV.

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

Holy hell what do we have here. I have been dying to crack this one open and once I did I had no idea what I was in store for. Served chilled and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 08/13/2010.

The pour was a very clear dark amber color with lots of orange highlights to it. Small head of white tops it off nicely with a light bit of lacing that eventually falls by the wayside.

Aroma is well oranges. They dominate everything about this beer and I absolutely loved it. Rich and sweet oranges are all over the place, it was like drinking juice in the morning, so sweet and fresh. I could see how some would see this as over done, but I really did think it was fantastically put together. A touch of light pepper in the finish, but mostly just the sweetest, juicest orange you have ever come across. Really quite well done I have to say.

Overall this is gonna be a love it or hate it beer, an I loved it, really worked very well for me on nearly every level.

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a ruby redish blood organish color with very little head and a slight amount of hops. The aroma is of big orange and some other citrus notes along with a hint of peppercorn and some breadiness. The taste has a breadiness backbone with hints of pepper but the real star is the big orange and grapefruit flavors. A nice sweet inviting taste. There is a slight hop bite at the end to bring in some balance. There is no hint of booze. The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated. Overall this is a very good beer , the aroma draws you in and the taste left me wanting more. I would seek this beer out.

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

Bottle shared by Lee - thanks!

Pours a bright and slightly hazy orange-red color with a one-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of sweet light malts with large amounts of bright and sweet citrus aromas, halfway between orange and grapefruit.

Tastes even more robust than it smells. Sweet and smooth light malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by moderately sugary citrus fruits. The citrus dries out near the end of the sip and carries through to an ending reminiscent of the aftertaste of grapefruit juice.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I was very impressed with how similar the flavor profile stayed to blood oranges. The sweetness was more robust than normal oranges and the citrus notes came through as much as any beer I've had previously. Very much worth a shot.

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured into Bruery snifter.

Pours 1 finger of light beige head. Fades to a ring. Leaves some very nice lace. Color is a dark copper with a ruby hue to it.

Aroma: Big citrus. Orange, grapefruit, lemon. Light wheat. Floral hops. Smelling more like a dipa, but I like it.

Taste: Big grapefruit citrus taste with some orange peel and lemon zest. Has some wheat and a big floral hop profile. This is boarderline IIPA. Very well done. Not too much malt showing here. Has some spice flavor to it.

Mouthfeel: Bitter, smooth, and a bit creamy. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with a bite of grapefruit, a slight amount of stickiness.

Overall, this wheatwine drinks like an IIPA. Very fresh hops and citrus profile. It is very good and drinks easily. I will have more of this one.

4.34/5  rDev +9.6%

Got this one as an extra through a trade. Thanks (you know who you are!) I really enjoyed this one.

A: Reddish brown, transparent but a bit cloudy, half a finger head, some spotty lacing.

S: Blood orange... wow. It smells awesome. I can also smell something spicy (must be peppercorn as the bottle mentions), malt,

T: Ok, so... this beer is surprisingly bitter. I can taste the bitterness from orange zest towards the end. Starts off a bit on the sweet side, blood orange, some spice kicking in afterthat, followed by bitterness. Lingering taste is spice and orange zest. Quite unique (I haven't tasted anything like this before). I can also taste tangerine and alcohol as well.

M: I have never had a "wheatwine" before, but I was expecting something a bit thicker (like a barleywine). Its texture is closer to an IPA. Good amount of carbonation, and surprisingly refreshing. Dry finish.

O: I really enjoyed this, but I guess I haven't had anything else to compare this against. I will be seeking other "wheatwines" and compare. I also may be very partial here because I love the taste of blood orange. If you like blood orange and don't mind the alcohol heat, this is your beer.

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

A: Pour is a dark orange caramel with a large white head and strong lacing.

S: Aroma of sweet orange peel and citrus. Perhaps the best wheatwine that I have smelled. Sweet caramel that is light with a refreshing hop presence and a touch of pepper.

T: Surprisingly bitter coming from the aroma with a refreshing hop presence. Healthy peppercorn flavors with a refreshing overall taste. A good dosing of sweetness mixing in with strong caramelization. At the end of the flavor profile the blood orange really comes into play. It would be hard for this to be done better, it really comes together extremely well round.

M: Light in body and a light carbonation, to style.

O: Extremely well rounded and great tasting. Definitely one that I would pick a bunch of and perhaps age if it ages well.

4.37/5  rDev +10.4%

This is on my current list of favorites. I was lucky enough to find another 6-pack of it after initially only buying 3 bottles. I find myself going through them way too fast as I like to hang on to a couple.

Appearance: I've had this beer a few times and I've poured it a few different ways. If you go with a careful pour you get a slightly hazy reddish-pink grapefruit juice colored concoction with a thin veil of light pink head. If you go for the aggressive pour you get a darker colored liquid that's almost brown with tones of red. Lots of sediment which could be yeast, but I almost want to say it's blood orange zest. The head starts off more impressive with the aggressive pour but quickly subsides to the same thin cap. Minor, minor lacing splashes the glass here and there.

Smell: No surprises here, everything you can smell is basically listed on the front of the bottle. Big on the blood orange which ends up smelling a bit more like grapefruit which I suspect is due to the dry-hopping. There is a mild spicy which is no doubt attributed to the peppercorns.

Taste: To me the fusion of hops and fruit generally turns out better than it sounds. I think a lot of it has to do with careful selection of the varietals the brewer decides to use. What was true in the smell continues on to the taste. The blood orange intermingles perfectly with the grapefruit/citrus rind hop flavors to the point where you aren't quite sure where one ends and the other begins. There's a smidgen of floral hops to be found as well. The peppercorn returns to add a nice bit of spiciness right before the fantastic tart finish. A beer with all these ingredients just doesn't sound like it should work but Short's pulled it off. The only knock I can come up with is that I didn't get any actual wheatwine characteristics. Perhaps it would be better classified as a fruit beer, but really I'm picking nits. I love this stuff.

Mouthfeel: In this department I recommend the full on aggressive pour as the beer is a bit fuller on the mouth. This is generally my approach with any wheat based beer. Generally the yeast contributes quite a bit to the mouthfeel. It's a smooth medium bodied affair. Carbonation is just where you want it. You know it's there and it makes the flavors pop, but prickly in the least bit.

Drinkability: Dangerously drinkable. I personally cannot detect a hint of alcohol despite the hefty 11.7% of this beer. This is comparable to Double Crooked Tree levels of wizardry. I believe a lot of this has to do with the overall strength of the flavors that completely mask it. I could session this, except if I did I'd wind up passed out in some strange place, like underneath my dining room table.

This is probably the best beer I've had out of the Short's camp. Their bizarre creations can be hit or miss, count this firmly in the hit category. I think I might return to the store where I bought it and pick up another 6-pack or two. Here's to hoping they have some left.

4.37/5  rDev +10.4%

I was intrigued to happen upon a sample of this one, as I am a big fan of properly done wheatwines. Poured a nice medium orange color, with a bit of off-white foam on top. Great aromas here, blood orange, lemon zest and sweet malt. On the palate, this one was fairly alcoholic, but in a very good way, but the fresh citrus really cut what could have been a cloying sweetness, and raised this one to the level of greatness. One of the better beers I've had this year.

Had a couple bottles of this one, and it did not approach the greatness of the tap version, so I will adjust my score accordingly. The cloudy pour and sour orange flavor detract a bit from what was great about this one on tap.

4.39/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into teku.

A - Pours a deep apricot orange with 2 finger head that is eggshell. Fades quickly and leaves a very thin ring and some lacing around the glass.

S - Just wow, I could smell this right away when I started to pour. Huge aromas of blood oranges, citrus, with a sweet malty backbone. I'm sure there is a wheat beer in there, but the blood oranges smell so good!

T - Blood oranges, grapefruit, lemon peel, loaded with citrus flavor! Again the wheat base is hard to pick out and a mild sweetness of malts fills the middle. I can slightly find the notes of the green peppercorns on the finish. Some alcohol is present.

M - Medium to light body, excellent carbonation.

O - As my first Wheatwine, I love it! I'm sure they are not all this citrusy, but this was excellent. I need to convince Dan Cary from New Glarus to make one of these. He sure knows his way around wheat beer. Excellent work Shorts!

4.39/5  rDev +10.9%

Tried at the summer brewers guild fest 2010 and loved it. We were lucky enough to find one last bottle in a shop somewhere in downtown Ann Arbor.

A dry hopped Wheatwine brewed with blood oranges, blood orange zest and green peppercorns. A very interesting and delicious idea.

A- Very little head forms on this one, but the suds that are there are pretty white. The beer is a bright and glowing reddish amber.

S- The smell is lovely. Its very unique. I was expecting all orange but it isnt that way at all. Its actually got a lot of spice and pepperiness. Smells of green bell pepper, peppercorn, orange and spicy wheat. Oranges still remaining the most dominant, however.

T- The bell pepper, peppercorn and spice take over here. Its much stronger than I expected. The oranges are there, but unlike any orange Ive had (Ive never had a blood orange). Pepper is strong here as is spicy wheat and and earthy quality.

M- I felt that this was much too thin and not carbonated enough. This is really the only glaring default I found with this beer.

4.4/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a glowing red color, forming a thin but lasting head.

Awesome nose of grapefruit and blood orange amplified by citrusy hops. Slight marijuana and herbal notes. Peppercorns lend some spiciness. The fruit and hops work really nicely together.

Delicious grapefruit and orange flavors on the palate. Spicy, peppery, herbal. Some earthy notes mid palate. Finishes quite bitter and herbal. Dry and light bodied. Delicious.

4.41/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from the bottle into my New Belgium Belgian glass.

A - Pours a beautiful orange amber, with half a finger's worth of slightly off white head. The color of this beer is absolutely incredible. It looks like the inside of a blood orange with just a hint of tan added to it. Simply marvelous.

S - Blood orange, honey, dry hops, blended together to make an incredibly unique aroma unlike any beer I've ever smelled. Reminds me more of a mead than a beer, but is definitely on par with what the label describes. Not picking up much green peppercorn, however.

T - Follows closely from the nose, with the blood orange being the dominant force here. Don't get as much honey in the mouth, but definitely pick up the dry hop finish, and in the mouth the green peppercorn is much more evident, which works well with the dry hop character to leave the mouth feeling cleansed after each sip. Once again, a truly unique blend and an altogether pleasant experience.

M - For a higher abv beer, this one is smooth. Does leave the mouth feeling a bit dry, but not to the point where it's upsetting. As mentioned in the taste, does a fantastic job of cleansing the palate.

O - Overall I am very impressed with this beer. I only spent a few months in Michigan, but Short's is definitely one of the breweries that I will truly miss.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

On tap @ The Great Taste of the Midwest (Madison, WI) on 8/14/10. Several samples served in a tasting mug.

Pours a clear cranberry color with a thin covering of off-white head. This fizzles down fairly quickly, leaving just some light spotty lace behind. The aroma is mostly all wheat and oranges in the nose, with a sweet tanginess and juicy fruit character that is working really well for me. Some light sugars, spice, and floral hops all round this out nicely.

The taste is sweet and tangy in the mouth with the aforementioned blend of wheat and oranges but then a tart spicy blast settles into the middle portion of the profile, before settling into a strong finish of pithy earthy bitterness. The mouthfeel is fuller bodied with a good feeling smooth crispness to it which keeps this moving well. As for the alcohol, I did get some warmth out of this while imbibing but it absolutely blew my mind when I found out that this was almost 12%. I would have never had guessed that, as this remained such a smooth sipper throughout.

A Blood Orange Wheat Wine sounded a little crazy when I first heard about this but the flavors all just worked very nicely for me here. I love that this didn't skip on the orange flavor and the addition of peppercorns really upped the zestiness of this to a new level. The finish was a little overly bitter IMHO but otherwise, this was pretty great stuff.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Received this as an extra in a super trade with Kbeals... shared with the boys... Huge thanks Kevin!!

Big eggshell head ... fluffy.. dies pretty quick leaving behind little lacing... The brew is deep orange.

Citrus and mild spice dominate the nose.. little in the way of malts in the bruising citrus assault.

Flavor is pithy and still plenty citrusy, yet less than the aroma... peppercorns add a unique spiciness.. pale malts are there only in subtle sweetness.. thicker body and a lighter than expected carbonation.

Sam, Eric and I were debating the ABV... because we could not pick it out at all.

Very cool Kevin... Soooo stoked I had the opportunity to try this one pretty fresh.

4/4.5/4.5/4/4.5

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours a nice orange head. Color is a reddish amber.

Smell is very floral, with a nice, sour hoppy characteristic to it.

First sip is very hoppy, but at the same time quite circus-filled as well, almost like a grapefruit.

One of the big selling points of this beer comes from the blood oranges that they add to it, and I can say it really gives life to the flavor.

A very delicious beer and an excellent way to celebrate their sixth year of production. Very good job, Shorts!

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours an orangish color with an off white head. Smell is immediately magnetic to my nose--the peppercorns and blood orange really make a wonderful pairing. The taste is another step up from there, with the peppercorns not too pronounced and the blood oranges presenting a cacophony of flavors all by themselves. Mouthfeel is exception...thought this was about 5% abv based on taste. Drinkability isn't that high, although I thought about boosting the score about more as this is so good compared to other wheatwines that it's drinkability is by definition good or a bit higher.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Fresh 2011 batch purchased from Fitzgeralds Restaurant in Eagle River Michigan. Poured from bottle into snifter.

Appearance: Pours a deep ruby red with a golden white cream half finger fluffy head. Nice lacing that hangs around.

Nose: Blind nose would lead me to a sticky hop nose, but since i read, I know its straight citrus that I'm detecting...bit of toffee, caramel, and spice. Some alcohol in the nose, but not overbearing, really allowing the sweet/tart orange to come through.

Taste: Very, very unique. The mouth starts with a sweet hint of hop bitterness followed by a sweet citrus and toasted malt. The blood oranges shine brightly, supported by an astringent peppery palate. The zest of orange gives this beer a great crisp, dry, puckering quality that adds a fantastic level of complexity.

Mouth: Bright, dry, and crisp mouthful that is fun and not overwhelming. The alcohol is not overly noticeable, and in perfect balance.

Drink and overall: The Shorts legend continues to grow. Fantastic wheat wine, that shines with the addition of peppercorns and blood oranges. I'd say this is a hit, rather than a miss. A beer for savoring.

Anniversary Ale from Short's Brewing Company