Anniversary Ale | Short's Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

2009 Tap only
2010 Tap and bottle
2013 Tap and bottle

Same recipe every year, according to the brewer, though ABV varies slightly.

"Anniversary Ale~ A high gravity wheat wine made with blood oranges that render an alluring dark purple hue to the color. Flavor abounds from the spice of green peppercorns and tang from blood orange zest. Aggressive dry hop additions amplify the citrus overtones and spiciness found throughout. ‘Anni’ Ale typifies the full magnitude of Short’s Brewing Company by embodying all the complexities and fulfillment necessary to pay tribute to another year of brewing. 10% ABV 63 IBU's"

Added by hoppymeal on 05-08-2009

4.37/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.17/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.9/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This beer I found to be hard to rate. I thought it was pretty good but a little to much wine flavor. Not bad but not great.

2.68/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This was a fail by shorts in my eyes. Pours clear with a small head. Smells sweet and of citrus. Taste is a unbalanced mess. Sweet flavors, with an odd citrus (maybe guava). Up next is a bit of a sour flavor. Finishes with a spicy pepper flavor. I'm glad I decided to only buy a single instead of a six pack.

This brought back a lot of memories of bells Venus which also was a fail to me.

4.07/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.06/5  rDev +3%

4.29/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.52/5  rDev -10.7%

Appearance - 3.5/5
Pours a deep, slightly golden orange. Moderately hazy. About half a finger of almost pure-white foam. Moderate amount of visible rising carbonation.

Smell - 4/5
Pineapple, mandarin oranges, floral hops, perhaps slight hints of spice. An overall quite attractive citrusy-fruitiness.

Taste - 3.5/5
Quite sweet. Blood oranges, pineapple, mandarin oranges, pine citrus hops, slight amount of bitterness near the end of the sip. Despite being 10%, no alcohol flavors detectable at all. Overall not a bad taste, just not really quite what I think a wheatwine should taste like.

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
Medium bodied. Very smooth, with only a little bit of bitterness. Light to medium amount of medium-high intensity carbonation. Overall, I think I would have liked the feel to be thicker, as this is supposed to be a wheatwine, not a pale ale.

Overall - 3/5
Overall this wasn't really what I was expecting. I've only had one other wheatwine before, Pilgrim's Dole, and that tasted close-ish to a barleywine. And most barley wine have a taste in the same general area. I knew this would taste quite different because of the citrus elements, but this wheatwine tasted nothing like a barley wine. It tasted like a nice summery citrusy pale ale, or something like that. It was not a bad beer, just not really what I was looking for.

4.38/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.96/5  rDev +0.5%

1.73/5  rDev -56.1%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

Poured into my mouth, from a 12oz bottle. I've been waiting for this one! Let's see how it goes. First off, this has a kick in the teeth two-hearted ale taste (I'm not familiar with hop styles, so I'm not sure which I'm tasting. Closest thing I can think of is two hearted).. Followed by a faint orange taste. This beer is not my cup of tea. I could see many hop-heads loving this tho! It just isn't my particular "cup of beer". It sure does pack a buzz. I don't see myself opening up another bottle. Sadly. I was really looking forward to this one. Oh well, onto the next! I have five left if anyone is interested in a trade!

4.06/5  rDev +3%

A clear golden orange beer with a frothy foamy white head. Smell is of orange, citrus, blood orange, tons of malt, and a minor grassy/earthy smell. Taste is of blood orange and malt with a spicy background from the peppercorn. It's a mildly sweet beer with a medium body, mild carbonation and easy drinking.

4.21/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

3.54/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.27/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I've had this out on draft, day old firkin, and out of the bottle, both fresh and up to three years old now. I absolutely love short's anniversary. It is far from the most complex wheatwine I've tasted but it is just bursting with fresh blood orange flavor that never comes off as artificial in any way. It is refreshingly tart and easy drinking for a 10% ale which makes it a dangerous drink on a summer day. I am far from a short's fanboy, infact I'm not really a big fan of them as a whole but anniversary ale is fantastic.

4.46/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.26/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.61/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.58/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

3.92/5  rDev -0.5%

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%