Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Rich's Rye | Short's Brewing Company

shortsbrewing.com

Style: Rye Beer

Added by Deuane on 06-19-2009

3.87/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Very explosive head on this one. I poured about 4 ounces of beer into the glass and ended up with one finger of hazy amber beer on the bottom and an overflowing head. I'm gonna assume this is just a bad bottle. Lots of rye and fruity hops in the smell and taste. Very full mouthfeel.

4.12/5  rDev +16.7%

Bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A- A conservative pour created a 1-finger, khaki head that dropped to a nice film and left wide rings all about the glass. It had a rich, golden body that was clean enough to exhibit light-medium carbonation.

S- A wonderful blend of citrus hops, distinct rye (kinda' like the current Dr. Pepper commercial, the only descriptor is itself), and some sugary sweet base malts.

T- It starts slowly and builds to a real burst of flavor. As the aroma suggests, there's a ton of rye and grapefruit-like hops. Grainy malts hold it all together. Hops come through to clean up the finish. Just the right side of "over-done" with the rye characteristics.

M- Bone dry from the hop and rye combination. Moderate carbonation. Pleasantly chewy.

O- It's another bold offering from Short's (experimental even?). It's not a beer I'm going to drink in quantity, but it certainly fits the "super hopped golden rye beer" to a "t." As a big fan of rye bread (pastrami or ruebens anyone?), I really like this brew.

1.5/5  rDev -57.5%

3.16/5  rDev -10.5%

Duvel Tulip

A: Copper color with light orange hues. One finger head, sticky lacing.
S: Slight spiciness, not sure if it is the hops or the rye. The smell overall I muted.
T: Spicy and bitter. I didnt expect the bitter kick from the nose. The bitterness is more harsh than smooth. Bitterness lingers.
M: One the thin side of medium mouthfeel Bitter dry finish.
O: This could have been much better if the bitterness as not so harsh. Lots of bitter without a lot of taste or aroma. I love Rye-IPAs but this one was a let down for me.

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

A- Golden in color with an orange like hue presence throughout. A generous head and lacing that does not cease.

S- picking up some grains such as wheat and rye, a strong presence of hops and citrus throughout.

T-Can taste some chewy graininess throughout, a light rye taste. The hops punch you in the mouth with a trace of citrus throughout. Has a strange rye/grain aftertaste.Not bad but just very different aftertaste.

M- Is sleek on the palate light, has a tangy feel throughout. smooth through out with a slight bitter taste at the end.

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. It tasted more like an IPA to me. For those who didn't like I think you most likely are drinking old beer or got a bad bottle b/c there was nothing unappealing about this beer in taste smell or appearance in my book. Just my opinion

3.68/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured into a perfect pint glass from a 12 oz bottle. The pour yeilded a single finger of pearl head...quick dissipation but massive clinger. Apple cider yellow body with a deeper center that approaches orange.

The nose has lots of toasted grains...but the rye is dominant! You can almost smell the bitterness...

Wow...the taste is a massive bomb of rye...the rye(est) beer I can remember. A bready flavor joins the rye in the center and another huge flavor finishes the drink...a bitter, bitter hops.

The mouth feel is somewhere between medium and light with lots of carbonation and a dry finish.

I love unique offerings and Short's is always king here. Rich'e Rye falls in line...well worth a try!

3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

Stamp on front label says 61110. I sure hope this is the 'bottled on' date.

Poured into my thick-walled old school stemmed Coors chalice a deep orange/copper color with a settled dense off-white 1/2" head. A little murky, but I can still see large bubbles of carbonation uprising at a lower than moderate pace. Nice shattered walls of lace all the way down.

Smells very ripe and fresh with lots of fragrant and zesty hops. A few swirls evoke more of the 'herb-like' qualities of the hops. Yep, a little cannabis I detect. I also detect a maltiness that comes a bit indirectly, by deflecting off of the crisp hops I sense something a bit sweet to follow, (let's see...).

The hops are still keepin' the party hoppin' for sure. They're very pronounced in an earthy kind of way. Not fruity/tangy/puckering but a bit of white pepper spicy with lots of dry/bitter elements. There is a malt presence, but not much. The hops make the mouth dry and chalky with an interesting earthiness/mineral layer.

Mouthfeel is a tad oily with basically no carbonation to witness, but the medium body a little airy. Very chalky/dry quick finish.

Drinkability is decent. I'd swear I was drinking a solid pale ale if I didn't read what style it's 'supposed' to be.

Overall a good ale that still tastes & feels like a amped-up pale ale. The texture of this beer is very interesting because on one hand it feels flat, but on the other it's very airy & soft. There's a little hop burn on the inside of my cheeks that lingers for quite a while. Maybe it's the inherent spiciness from the rye malt, (I bet?). I bet the IBUs on this are very high too. Leave it to Short's to make you ponder after you've consumed one of their offerings. Good work on a very unique beer.

3.15/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a hazy dark gold, bordering on copper. Head is pretty decent as is retention.

Pretty unpleasant. Initially it gave me a flashback of when I was getting into beer and trying a lot of beers with compromised quality. It smells mildly skunky as well. If you smell a little deeper, some richness can be noted, but you have to get past the negative aspects first.

The taste isn't bad, and it's leagues above the aroma. The rye is considerably potent while at the same time, tastefully done. Hops are definitely there, and there's an acute pine flavor in the aftertaste that can't be missed (slightly like the imperial spruce pilsner they make). It has minor bready notes as well that round it out a bit.

The body is a tad better than average, but only a tad. Carbonation is done well, but the finish left a little to be desired.

Overall, if this beer could do anything about the aroma, it would be the easiest way to improve the brew. I found it took the whole experience down with it. The beer is pretty decent, but every sip introduces itself with a foul smell. I would have no problem having a few more of these if they did something to change it.

3.82/5  rDev +8.2%

A. Pours out a very nice copper color with great retention and some of the best lacing I ever saw on a beer mug. Very impressive. Also has nice carbonation.
S. I get some citrus and floral hops and rye
T. First thing I taste is floral hops followed by some sweet malts and finishing off with some citrus, primarily orange and grapefruit. Also get some rye lingering in the back.
M./O. The mouthfeel is very smooth and slightly creamy and overall a very enjoyable beer to drink.

3.52/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from the bottle into my Sam Adams perfect pint glass

A - dark amber-orange body with a small white head

S - Citrus and grapefruit hoppy flavor with some spicy zing to it

T - Yowzerz! I remember reading this would scrape the enamel off your teeth and that is no joke. Intense bitterness up front like chewing on the peel of a grapefruit or orange. Lacks any kind of malt backbone to back it up however which gives it kind of a sickening bitter aftertaste. Would be fantastic if it had something else in the finish!

M - medium body, slight sticky, very light carbonation

D - At first this tastes great but the after taste is kind of gross. Too bitter in the finish but not a delicious hoppy bitterness like Sculpin or Huma-Lupa. While I'm glad I got to try this I think I'd pass on having it again.

4.14/5  rDev +17.3%

Pour is caramel colour and it looks like syrup flowing from the bottle. It sort of fills the pint like oil and exhibits no bubbling. A slight spitty collar circles the glass, but there isn't much going on here for the eyeballs.

The smell is very nice. Dirty earthen leafy outhouse hoppy rye. Twig snaps and those little things that are in bread sometimes that you bite and they give off flavourings. Dried pants urine. Herbaliciousness. Slight pepperoni.

It tastes like beer with hops and rye. Bitter, bitter, chicken fritter. Baked good strangeness and a marvelous dry. Woody. Crisp. Heavy aftertastes and belchy hops.

The mouthfeel is like fluffy syrup. The consistency is unexpected, but it is very nice to pour through your face. It borders on heaviness but is buffered by something I can't explain.

The drinkability is decent. No problems dropping this one down the ole alimentary canal for a little in out. Glad I snatched this up off the shelf at Ladd's and Co. Another solid brew from the Great Lakes state.

3.77/5  rDev +6.8%

Thanks to MilwaukeeCrusher for this one.

12oz bottle poured into Delirium tulip.

A- May or may not be infected. Gushed upon opening and probably yielded about 6-7 oz. Pours a burnt orange with a good amount of sediment in there as well to go along with a huge 3 fingers worth of head that sticks around forever.

S- The rye and hops are on the forefront to go along with some orange and citrus notes.

T- Big, bitter hops, mostly of the citrus variety and the rye comes in to even it out a little bit. The malt base isn't very present. There is also a little bit of spice and one other that I can't really put my finger on, maybe wheat?

M- Medium bodied with a bunch of carbonation and very dry on the finish. A good amount of bitterness from the abundance of hops.

D- I was worried upon opening that this may be an infamous infected beer from Short's but after tasting I don't think it is. Good all around, I just wish about a third of it wasn't lost down the sink.

3.48/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a fairly standard and non-descript amber/brownish color with a small amount of head that leaves minimal lacing. Aroma is highly roasty with some strong malty notes coming through as well. Flavor is somewhat similar but with a distinct bitter hop presence that becomes the primary flavor. Mouthfeel is nice - smooth and not overly sticky. Decent beer, but not something I'd necessarily seek out again.

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

3.64/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2.5/5  rDev -29.2%