Strawberry Short's Cake | Short's Brewing Company

Strawberry Short's CakeStrawberry Short's Cake

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Strawberry Short’s Cake is a Golden Ale brewed with the addition of strawberries and milk sugar. The flavors of shortcake and fresh strawberries transform this beer into rose-colored party nectar that is pleasingly sweet with hints of cream. Biscuit flavors and aromas arise from the use of large amounts of Victory malt.

Added by akorsak on 07-20-2009

1.38/5  rDev -62.4%

A - Pinkish rose-colored blonde with a quickly collapsing whitish/pink head. No Lacing.

S - Acetic/tart bready toasty malts. Slightly fruity (indistinguishable).

F/M - Tart acetic infected sour grossness. Crusty/bready malts. Light fruity strawberry flavor. Medium body and excessively high mouthfeel.

D - This is another gross infected mess of a drain pour. 2-for2 here Short's. Again, get it together.

1.5/5  rDev -59.1%

1.5/5  rDev -59.1%

Pulling out yet another new Short's beer garnered at the Great Taste courtesy of malty. I love having a new brewery at my disposal for two months! Read plenty about this one & hoping it lives up to the NG fruit twins...or blazes a new, equally tasty trail.

Pours...holy bat-guano. I have precisely .26 seconds to appreciate the pop of the cap before I have Strawberry Short's Cake all over my ranch. Damn it! Once I finish hosing down, it takes three pours to get it into the pint, as foam blitzes the ege of the glass repeatedly. Much later I sit down to note that under the mad-dog white head, there's a dark yellow brew with a red background. The smell is infected. Nice, nice strawberries are battered with a pungent, bitter undertow.

I can almost taste what the brewer intended, & I'd really like to taste a straight up Strawberry Short's Cake. This one is thin, with the strawberries present, but cut-up by an unpleasant acidic edge. The lactic notes cut through the haze, but barely. I don't really want to drink further.

Damn. I think this is probably a very good brew, but this one's terminal. My sink will be happy, though.

1.7/5  rDev -53.7%

First beer from Short's. Received as an extra. I always want to like my extras. I guess you can't like them all. Drank this straight from the bottle, but I graded the appearance as good, because I think all beer LOOKS good. The smell from the nose of the bottles was like...rancid strawberries. The taste excludes ANY kind of strawberry whatsoever. This is where the "short cake" comes into play what...a mess. I don't know how else to describe it. It's simply disgusting to me. I've taken 5 more sips than I've wanted simply trying to pin down what the fuck the taste is, but I give up. I'm not going to swallow one more sip in an effort to find out. Overall this was a complete miss. I have a couple other assorted Short's bottles to rip through. Hopefully there's some kind of improvement over this godawful disaster.

1.92/5  rDev -47.7%

12 oz bottle shared by 321Jeff. Thanks!

Ewww. ewww. ewww. First whiff I get is of rotting garbage with spoiled strawberries freshly added to it. Appearance is a clear dark amber with a slight strawberry tinge and a fizzy, foamy off white head that has nice retention. The aroma definitely has a real seedy, strawberry presence but as mentioned before is also incredibly rancid. Carbonation is turned up way too high and is extremely fizzy. Flavor has hints of real, fruity strawberry with a mild lactic sweetness providing the illusion of cream. The combination of the spoilage, and hyperactive carbonation really kills any enjoyment I might have had of this.

2.23/5  rDev -39.2%

2.23/5  rDev -39.2%

A - This beer pours a reddish copper color, and has a decent white head. The head left just a little bit of lacing on the glass as it fell.

S - The smells reminds me a lot of strawberry kool-aid mixed with a lighter beer.

T - The taste is very sweet and packs a lot of strawberry flavor. There is also some sourness present. This is just too sweet and fruity for me. Like the nose suggested, kool-aid mixed with beer.

M - It has a light body with high carbonation. The carbonation gives it a crispness, but I still think the carbonation is too high.

D - Drinkability was not too good. It is just too sweet and the carbonation is too high. This is certainly not one of my favorite short's beers, but I'd still suggest giving it a shot.

2.33/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.35/5  rDev -36%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Hard time believing this is a shorts beer. Flavors don't meld at all. Awkwardly sweet. Pass.

2.37/5  rDev -35.4%

Thanks to Jason for sharing.

A - For starters, the bottle gushed, not a good sign. Medium copper colored beer, off-white head. Some decent lace, looks solid.

S - Some mild strawberry smell and something that smells pretty moldy. Not a good smell, seems this is infected.

T - Not a good tasting beer, like moldy bread and strawberries, stale malts. Something has gone horribly wrong here. There is some okay strawberry flavor on the end, but not redeeming enough to save this beer.

M - Medium bodied with too much carbonation.

O - Highly disappointing, I've heard that this is good, but this bottle turned bad. Going to have to try this one again, but wouldn't seek it out due to Short's lack of quality control.

2.41/5  rDev -34.3%

Poured a half bottle in my pint glass and the head filled up the rest of the glass... interesting. Pours a hazy dark copper with the aforementioned massive tan head.

Aroma feature a distinct overripe strawberry flavor with an odd background flavor that might be their take on the cake side of things. Aroma is very strong, and to be perfectly frank, a little off-putting.

Taste is lots of sweet strawberries but that same off-putting aroma carries over to the taste and just kind of ruins it for me. It almost tastes like rotten strawberries.

Mouthfeel is a little thin and as foreshadowed by the massive head... it's way over carbonated. Not very drinkable at all and I'm not sure I'll be able to finish my half glass.

2.46/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Thanks steve, really wanted to try this beer.

A: Slightly hazy pinkish-red with a huge head.

S: Smells odd, carmelized sugary bruised strawberries bordering on solventy like.

T: I appreciate the strong over ripe strawberry but the flavor is off. I have to let the imagination flow to begin imagining that I'm tasting shortcake. Short's should of named it strawberry jolly ranchers. The beer if far too tart and sickeningly sweet. There is a minute resemblance of cake, but again, drowned out by the sweet and tart flavors.

M/D: Extremely sticky and viscious. Hard to choke down from being too sweet and over carbonated. I usually don't mind beers being too sweet, so take that for what it's worth.

I was looking forward to this beer and was let down, although the fruit component of the beer is better than most.

Strawberry Short's Cake from Short's Brewing Company