Strawberry Short's Cake | Short's Brewing Company

Strawberry Short's CakeStrawberry Short's Cake

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Strawberry Short’s Cake is a Golden Ale brewed with the addition of strawberries and milk sugar. The flavors of shortcake and fresh strawberries transform this beer into rose-colored party nectar that is pleasingly sweet with hints of cream. Biscuit flavors and aromas arise from the use of large amounts of Victory malt.

Added by akorsak on 07-20-2009

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

Enjoyed on tap at the brewpub. Yes, strawberry delight fruit beer. Reddish colour with Caesar head, and some lace. Average mouthfeel.Strawberry aroma,surprisingly tasty as a fruit beer. Not too sweet,was getting lactose, appropriate carbonation. Yes, dessert.

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

3.54/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.17/5  rDev -13.6%

Thanks to Exiled for sending me this one!

Pours a hazy light reddish-brown with a huge 3 inch bubbly white head that fades to a film on the top of the beer. Random steaks of lace form on the glass on the drink down. Smell is strawberry jam/jelly, biscuit, and strawberry candy. Taste is of the strawberry jam/jelly and artificially flavored strawberry candy. A bit of a sourness comes through as well. This beer is way too carbonated to the point where it almost hurts to drink. Much more carbonation than a soda. Overall, this is a pretty average beer with a better smell than taste. I have a feeling there is some infection issue at hand with the sourness and the excessive carbonation. None the less it's another interesting offering from Short's that I could imagine would be pretty good if things were under control.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, no bottle dating(this has to be pretty old). Pours cloudy reddish orange color with a nice 2 finger fairly dense off white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Some light spotty lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of of big strawberry, cream, vanilla, angel food cake, biscuit, strawberry syrup, a some slight herbal. Very nice and authentic aromas going on here, with good strength and balance. Taste of big strawberry, cream, angel food cake, bread, vanilla, light caramel, and light herbal. Quite dry on the finish; with some light lingering notes of strawberry, bread, cake, and cream on the finish for an instant. A minimal amount of fruity tartness as well. Nice balance of flavors, and the crispness of the finish makes it very easy to drink and never get too sweet on the palate. Medium-high carbonation and medium bodied; with a very crisp and lightly syrupy mouthfeel that seems to work well for this. Alcohol is very well hidden with pretty much no warming noticed on the finish. Overall this is a damn nice experimental beer from Shorts! The flavors are well balanced and work together; with a nice crisp finish that makes this incredibly easy to drink without being cloying. I would definitely have more of this when it is bottled again.

4.21/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had this on tap at the great taste 2010

Color is an orange hued brown with some haze to it. Pours a light white head.

Aroma/Taste: The taste is exactly like the name says. It has a huge amount of strawberries. I was amazed by how much they got into this beer. It also tastes like I am eating cake. Not much of a biscuity flavor, but more of a sweet malty flavor.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and refreshing. A medium body with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with more strawberries.

Overall, I was quite impressed with this beer. I could drink a lot of it on a hot summer day. Very drinkable and very good.

4.23/5  rDev +15.3%

Big thanks to RyanMcFly1985 for grabbing me this bottle as an extra. Thanks, Ryan! Reviewed from notes.

Pours a really nice color with some pink shading. A bit of head and lace. The nose is quite incredible and this is just a truly well-executed concept. I can pick out individual notes of cream, cake, and strawberries. Even the non-beer folks with us with were impressed with this one. While the notes were present and noticeable in the nose, the taste really just pulls everything together so that this really tastes like strawberry shortcake. I've heard that some of their other brews do this, but I've never had a successful experience with them converting this to the bottle. Lightly creamy and delicious. I did not have any problem finishing this.

3.43/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle from a 6 pack purchased in Ann Arbor as it came in off the delivery truck. Served in a snifter. Pours red-amber with very good clarity and small, shot-lived head.

An interesting fruit beer, with a bitter/sweet/tart taste tha leans a bit toward the sweet side, but leaving all 3 components apparent.
The strawberry smell and taste more like preserves than fresh berries and, while obvious, are nearly matched by the flavor of light malts. Aroma is too vegetative.

O: A fun and refreshing beer that's certainly worth trying.

4.47/5  rDev +21.8%

Several samples of this @ the 2009 Great Taste of the Midwest on 8/8/09. One of my favorites of the fest.

Pours a hazy, well..., strawberry! Topped with a layer of foamy off-white/pinkish head, this stayed rich the whole way through. The aroma is unbelievable in how is recreates a strawberry shortcake. Fresh strawberries up front, bready biscuit malts in the middle, and hell, there is even some sugary sweetness thrown in to mimic some whipped cream on top! A touch of floral hops in the back is the only thing that reminds me that this is a beer for crying out loud!

The taste, fortunately, mimics the aroma to a tee. Juicy strawberries, sugar and milk, and the shortcake like biscuity malts, which really makes this, giving the other flavors something to wrap around. Some moderate bittering hops ride throughout, once again dragging me back to the real world and reminding me that I'm drinking a beer. The mouthfeel is lighter-medium bodied, with a sharp prickle up front, that then gives way to an extremely silky feel underneath. This just moves those delicious flavors effortlessly across the palate.

Wow, just WOW! First it was Uber Goober. Then it was the PBJ beer they had at Extreme Beer Fest. And now this? Once again, they just NAILED the flavors here. I honestly can't think of a more delicious beer to enjoy during the summer.

3.52/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.12/5  rDev +12.3%

Review from notes. Thanks to Jay for opening this one up, one of the beers from Shorts I have wanted to try the most.

A: Pours a slightly hazy amber with a slightly reddish tint to it. Small off-white head forms and lasts for a few moments, spotty lacing.

S: Wow, the aroma reminds me of strawberry filling, and definitely get a little bit of angel food cake and biscuity malt. There is a little vanilla too.

T: Very similar to the aroma, plenty of sugary strawberry with some biscuity malt. Very sweet, certainly reminds me of its namesake.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Easy drinking with a sweet finish.

O: Extremely impressed, spot on with the flavor. Had no problem drinking it, would love to try some of the other off the wall offerings from Shorts.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

4.22/5  rDev +15%

so i decided last night to break out 10+, thats right 10+ new shorts beers for a nice sampling with the family. turns out my and my brother in law were the only ones willing to go down this road, so long afternoon for sure. serve cold and consumed on 10/02/2010.

this was by far my wifes favorite beer of the night and i have to admit i did not mind it one bit either. a nice light yellow pour with a moderate amount of haze to it and a nice white head that fizzed up quickly and then settled down with a thin film of lacing..

aroma is strawberries and rich, sweet cream and cake. spot on given the name and by far the best food themed beer i have ever smelled. it was just soo dead on and at the same time not too much for me. light body with a clean and definite strawberry presence that again was not too much and hit it off just about right. really very nicely done with a huge sweet flavor that came in mid palate and cut right through the tight strawberry flavor. remarkably done and really just beyond a pleasant surprise for sure.

overall a wonderfully done experiment here that out of all the oddball shorts beers we tried worked really, really well for me.

4.24/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

When it was announced that Short's Brewing was going to be getting distro into PA, my heart went pitty-pat! I have known these guys since the early part of the century when they were coming to the BeerAdvocate fests at the Cyclorama. I have embroidered cloth patches from them & sport them proudly on my vests & jackets. We did not get everything from them, initially, but as time has passed, so has the depth and breadth of what they are sending us increased. Accordingly, I am trying to keep up with their releases.

From the bottle: "Golden Ale brewed with fresh strawberries and milk sugar".

This has to be among my all-time favorite beers from Short's! This and Soft Parade, both fruit beers, which may seem odd, coming from this self-avowed, self-described hophead. Strawberries & I go back to my wee childhood, when I was one of the only freckle-faced children in my Nursery class & I was a bit of a curiosity. As it turned out, the other freckled classmate was a flame-haired cutie who became my first girlfriend. We became inseparable and held hands and walked side-by-side, while our classmates had to line up. There was some initial concern, but soon the entire school was abuzz about "The Little Couple". I was heartbroken when she moved away after our first grade year. How does this relate to strawberries? Back then, Funny Face drink mix (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=funny%20face%20drink%20mix&qs=IM&form=QBIR&pq=funny%20face%20drink&sc=8-16&sp=1&sk= )
was the rage & I had a book about the characters, including Freckle-Faced Strawberry, who became our hero! To this day, I have an unabashed fetish for redheads and have written an (as-yet) unpublished children's book about a strawberry.

Onward! It is time to Pop! the cap on this Cake & have some Strawberry. I let fly in my excitement and produced two fingers of foamy, fizzy, tawny head with limited retention. Color was a slightly-hazy Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22), but with a slightly reddish tint. Nose was redolent with strawberries, so fair dinkum for truth in advertising! Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, not watery, but nothing notable. I liked the way the taste was not wildly sweet, but still allowed for the strawberry taste to be in the forefront. The milk sugar gave it a creamy, vanilla-like sweetness and by closing my eyes, I could taste my late-paternal grandmother's signature strawberry shortcake. Oh my! No wonder I have always enjoyed this beer in the past. Finish was sweet, but not cloying or over the top. Instead, it left me longing for summer and the return of fresh strawberries. Would I drink it again? Unquestionably, without hesitation!

Strawberry Short's Cake from Short's Brewing Company