Strawberry Short's Cake

Rotating
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Strawberry Short's CakeStrawberry Short's Cake
Notes: Strawberry Short’s Cake is a Golden Ale brewed with the addition of strawberries and milk sugar. The flavors of shortcake and fresh strawberries transform this beer into rose-colored party nectar that is pleasingly sweet with hints of cream. Biscuit flavors and aromas arise from the use of large amounts of Victory malt.
firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
Reviews: 170 | Ratings: 554
4.21/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had this on tap at the great taste 2010

Color is an orange hued brown with some haze to it. Pours a light white head.

Aroma/Taste: The taste is exactly like the name says. It has a huge amount of strawberries. I was amazed by how much they got into this beer. It also tastes like I am eating cake. Not much of a biscuity flavor, but more of a sweet malty flavor.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and refreshing. A medium body with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with more strawberries.

Overall, I was quite impressed with this beer. I could drink a lot of it on a hot summer day. Very drinkable and very good.

3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

Draft. Stopped in the brewery and had a little sampler of several beers. Reddish/tan color with an ever so slight pinkish head. STRONG strawberry aroma that basically overwhelms all other notes. Very sweet strawberry taste. Medium mouthfeel. A fun beer to drink but not sure if I could really ever drink a 6 pack of this. The sampler size I had was plenty.

4.07/5  rDev +10.3%

A- Poured into a pint glass. A mix of amber and red in the color with two figners of fizzy white head. Good head retention and pretty good lacing.

S- Strawberry short cake... It's all there. Good whiffs of strawberries with heavy doses of biscuits. I don't think I've ever smelled a beer this biscuity. A dollop of cream in there as well.

T- Pretty good. The strawberries pretty much dominate as I expected they would but the biscuit and cream come through nicely in the finish. Very unique.

M- Light body but really heavy on the carbonation. A little too heavy but not bad.

D- Very drinkable. I probably wouldn't want more than two of these in a night but it's a very good beer. Well done, Short's!

4.32/5  rDev +17.1%

No date stamp but seeing this just the retail shelves of Mid-MI, I'm guessing it's still very fresh.

Poured into my stemmed Ayinger tulip-style chalice a ruby copper color with fine clarity. The settled 1/2" off-white heads is protecting the craziness beneath. There seems to be a fair amount of spritzy visible carbonation uprising.

Smells just like Strawberry Short Cake. Serious.

The strawberry that smelled so fresh and real in the nose translates perfectly and organically in the flavor. Nothing syrupy or contrived. Just good real fresh strawberry flavor. There is a welcomed touch of tartness to this succulent fruit I just described, which works out perfectly. The biscuit malt really makes my brain think 'angel food cake'. The lactose pulls off the real cream flavors superbly.

Mouthfeel is between light-med. with lots of fine and playful carbonation. The flavors end a tad bit sweet, but there is that masterfully placed tartness that offsets it very skillfully.

Drinkability is just like a desert. How much desert would you like to eat/drink?

Overall this is a very playful, fun and perfectly executed beer. My subjective feelings for this beer would pretty much evenly line-up with how objectively this 'fruit/vegetable beer' is masterfully crafted. A great way to jazz up a session for sure. I'm probing for strawberry seeds with my tongue. That's how real this tastes! Great stuff (again) from Short's.

I am not a fan of Short's in general. I think all of these PBJ beers and Key Lime pies never quite come out like they want but in the case of this beer, in a blind taste test I would have guess strawberry short cake. Congratulations, you've done it. Now perfect the pot roast beer.

Beer is kind of brown and has some haze to it. White head of small bubbles breaks in the middle and leaves very little lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate and appropriate.

The aroma is strongly strawberry and has almost a cream like note to it. I have to say that I'm generally weary of strawberry smelling and tasting beers. It is very difficult to pull off.

This beer tastes like it smells with one big important difference. Its actually quite bitter. I'm not sure what the bitterness is doing there or if its helping or hurting the strawberry flavor. The strawberry is definitely there though, its up front and proud. Right next to the creamy sweetness and mouthfeel. I guess the bitterness isn't really playing a role. Get rid of it and this would really be a strawberry short cake beer.

3.94/5  rDev +6.8%

A great extra from erikkoppen. Thanks for this tasty treat!

A- Darker orange color. Nice head with decent retention leaving lace down the glass.

S- I couldn't wait to see how this beer smelled and tasted. Amazingly it smelled like a strawberry shortcake! Smelled very sweet!

T- Very sweet drink. You get more tartness at the end of the drink which balanced it nicely. More sugar than I had tasted in any other beer. The strawberry hints came through nicely and gave it good flavoring.

M- Medium body with good carbonation. The tartness gives it a nice finish to the beer.

D- I'm not usually a fruit in the beer fan, but shorts did a great job with this beer. I couldn't drink a bunch of them, but easily a few! Great change from the usual beers I drink. Thanks Erik for this beer, very much enjoyed it!

4.02/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. These days Short's one-off bottles are really the only thing I get excited for on a regular basis at the beer store. Cheers to giving me a reason every two weeks to go poke around to see if a new Short's beer is out.

Pours golden amber with a slightly red hue that I may be imagining thanks to the pink and red six pack and bottle label. Head is an odd light brownish color. If it were a food I would simply say it smells like strawberry shortcake. In beer speak though I suppose that means biscuity malt, some sweetness, and fresh strawberries that have been reduced in a pan with some sugar and butter so they break down and their juices come out. Taste is the exact same. Really it tastes like liquified strawberry shortcake. Biscuity malt, some milkiness, fresh strawberries that were treated as described in the aroma and a light lingering tartness. Some delicious stuff. Medium bodied, a little bit fizzy. Not terribly drinkable, I probably wouldn't want more than one. Nonetheless an awesome beer to experience.

I have to say I really respect the talent level of the brewers at Short's. When they go for a flavor, they nail it. Smoked apple ale tastes like smoked apples, black licorice lager tastes like black licorice, spruce pilsener tastes like munching on a pine cone, and this one tastes like strawberry shortcake. While sometimes missing the mark as pleasurable beers (liquified smoked apples???), you have to respect how dead on they are on delivering on what the label promises each time.

4.44/5  rDev +20.3%

Adam picked up a sixer of this for me when he was at the brewery. Thanks man!

A: This beer appears a clear, light brown hue with hints of orange. There is a fairly small head that leaves little lacing.

S: The aroma is really amazing, in that it does in fact smell like strawberry shortcake.

T: This beer tastes like drinking a strawberry shortcake, if that were possible. Kudos to Short's, as this is obviously what the brewer intended.

M: The beer has a decent feel, without any cloying sweetness to it, which I found surprising.

D: I wouldn't want to drink a lot of these, but what a cool experience. Short's has boldly blurred the boundaries of craft beer once again.

3.72/5  rDev +0.8%

a - pours a deep orange color with a ruby hue, one-inch ivory head with little retention or lacing, fairly cloudy

s - big sweet strawberry aroma mixed with biscuity malt and cream, they sure pulled off the strawberry shortcake profile in the aroma

t - sweet strawberry and biscuit up front, creaminess joins the strawberry cake flavors in the midpalate and hangs on into the finish, strawberry flavor lingers on the palate for quite awhile, no hops to speak of, nor is the alcohol detectable, while not complex, this really hits head-on the intended flavor

m - light-bodied and fairly highly carbonated, very prickly on the palate, sweet finish, no alcohol warming

d - not overly drinkable, the flavors are interesting in that Short's did a hell of a job replicating in beer form a strawberry shortcake, but it is not complex, the sweetness also limits drinkability, just not something I want more than one bottle of at one time

Another well executed oddball beer from Short's that's well worth trying. I wouldn't buy a sixer of it, but a few bottles is perfect.

4.37/5  rDev +18.4%

12 oz. bottle.

Deep, clear copper-burnt sienna body. Finger of pillowy, light beige head. Good retention. Nose does not kid around: this beer is all about strawberries! Big fresh wallop of ripe strawberries, accompanied by graham cracker, and pie crust. Wow.

Taste starts off with light strawberry sweetness and some Juicy Fruit gum. The strawberry sweetness becomes tarter and more complex, shrugging off any hint of artificial flavoring. Underneath the juicy strawberry flavors is a base of graham cracker and short bread maltiness. This beer really does taste like strawberry shortcake! Sweetness fades in the finish with notes of strawberry seeds and lingering milk sugar. Moderate body, with a spritzy, lively feel. Very well done!

4.02/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A: Amber to dark orange in color, which is a little surprising to me as I was expecting a little more red in the color. ¾ of a finger white head with medium retention and moderate lacing

S: Wow, short's really nailed this one. The nose actually smells exactly like strawberry short cake. The strawberries and sugar really come through. I just hope the taste is as good as the smell.

T: I like that the sugar they used to brew this beer comes through in the taste more as a sour and does not make the beer itself overly sweet. The main tastes I get are tart strawberries, cherries, and a little bit of daiquiri in the finish.

M: Not much of an aftertaste and pretty light in the mouth, although it does have a nice level of carbonation.

D: Pretty good, but not outstanding. I feel like the flavors aren't cohesive enough to make this one a truly great drink. I would have it again though.

4.15/5  rDev +12.5%

Bottle poured into a pint glass. Color is a medium reddish caramel brown. Smell is an intensely sweet strawberry syrup, the kind that would be good to put on your pancakes or waffles. Taste isn't as sweet but still has a strong strawberry presence with a biscuity/malty background. Light bodied and excellent drinkability. Very solid, an excellent fruit beer.

4.07/5  rDev +10.3%

A- A clear orange liquid with some red highlights. the head is thin and splotchy with not much retention. The color of the liquid is very nice, but the head leaves something to be desired.

S- Strawberry jam... I struggle to get anything more out of it. Smells sweet and interesting. A little one dimensional but mind blowing.

T- Not nearly as sweet as I expected based upon the aroma. Strawberry jam and biscuits. Not all that complex, but very enjoyable, for what it is.

M- Clean and smooth with a lasting sweetness. Lightly carbonated.

D- A very unique and enjoyable fruit beer. Well done Short's.

2.86/5  rDev -22.5%

Sampled on 7-23-10

Pours a clear red/orange color, like an orange rascal. A thin, filmy white head leaves a single ring of lacing.

Smell is unbelieveably sweet, thick strawberry aromas are backed up by an almost cloying cake-like sugary kick. Good, but very heavy-handed.

Taste is a strong kick of vegetable sweetness, this thing is all over the place. The strawberry comes across as half sweet and half earthy, and is difficult to place. I'm not getting it.

Mouthfeel is very slick and thick, and almost flat. Totally amplifies the sweet flavors.

Drinkability is not good, the sweetness is an absolute animal.

Overall, I've got a few more bottles to try, and I'm open to change.

4.28/5  rDev +16%

Another best in show for me at GTOM. Review from my program I just found in a stack of magazines! Had twice... served with a sliced strawberry and whipped cream on top.

Pours a hazy red with a beautiful pink head.

Smells like strawberry shortcake to a tee! Strawberries, sugar, cream and yellow cake.

Taste is precisely the same. There is a tiny bit of hops hidden here as it finishes fairly dry. Tart, refreshing, delicious!

4.67/5  rDev +26.6%

Several samples of this fest favorite at Great Taste of the Midwest.

A-Hazy, light reddish amber coming very close to the color of a ripe strawberry. A pink tinged, off-white head that held on strong. A nice touch at the fest was the serving of this with a fresh strawberry, whipped cream topped, garnish!

S-This is easy--make strawberry shortcake, stick your nose into the bowl and inhale deeply! A big wafting of fresh strawberries followed by biscuit malt and a subtle touch of lactose sweetness! Wow...simply Wow!

T-An almost complete duplicate of the aroma with fresh, tart, strawberries up front followed by biscuit malt and a lightly sweet finish. The only "detractor" is a touch of floral hops that actually lets this "brew" resemble a beer!

M-Light bodied, sharp and crisp with a touch of sour tartness. Good lingeing flavours for such a light beer.

D-Okay--WTF!? How the hell does Joe and company nail these crazy beers as well as they do? I wonder how many R&D batches they produce to finally figure things out? What an amzing beer. It calls itself Strawberry Short's Cake and well...it is! Simply OUTSTANDING!

4.47/5  rDev +21.1%

Several samples of this @ the 2009 Great Taste of the Midwest on 8/8/09. One of my favorites of the fest.

Pours a hazy, well..., strawberry! Topped with a layer of foamy off-white/pinkish head, this stayed rich the whole way through. The aroma is unbelievable in how is recreates a strawberry shortcake. Fresh strawberries up front, bready biscuit malts in the middle, and hell, there is even some sugary sweetness thrown in to mimic some whipped cream on top! A touch of floral hops in the back is the only thing that reminds me that this is a beer for crying out loud!

The taste, fortunately, mimics the aroma to a tee. Juicy strawberries, sugar and milk, and the shortcake like biscuity malts, which really makes this, giving the other flavors something to wrap around. Some moderate bittering hops ride throughout, once again dragging me back to the real world and reminding me that I'm drinking a beer. The mouthfeel is lighter-medium bodied, with a sharp prickle up front, that then gives way to an extremely silky feel underneath. This just moves those delicious flavors effortlessly across the palate.

Wow, just WOW! First it was Uber Goober. Then it was the PBJ beer they had at Extreme Beer Fest. And now this? Once again, they just NAILED the flavors here. I honestly can't think of a more delicious beer to enjoy during the summer.

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

Enjoyed on tap at the brewpub. Yes, strawberry delight fruit beer. Reddish colour with Caesar head, and some lace. Average mouthfeel.Strawberry aroma,surprisingly tasty as a fruit beer. Not too sweet,was getting lactose, appropriate carbonation. Yes, dessert.

4.46/5  rDev +20.9%

I've had this beer a few times now, but felt compelled to review it after camping this weekend and getting a special growler from the pub....thanks soooo much Leah, you guys are so great and always make us feel very welcome whenever we visit.

I've been excited to try this beer since I heard it was coming out a couple of months ago. This beer pours with a generous 3 fingers of head that hangs around until my third drink. It pours a deep amber/Strawberry color and has good carbonation for a fruit beer. The smell is absolutely amazing and spot on for a Strawberry Shortcake...I actually took the time this time to close my eyes and if it was put in front of me I would not know it was a beer. Great strawberry smell up front that is followed by a ton of biscuit malt and lactose sweetness, truely amazing. The taste is much the same for me. This is the best use of strawberries I have ever tasted in a beer. Strawberries are the first taste, which fades into a solid malt backbone with sugary sweet biscuit flavor....I wanna dunk this beer in milk. The only fall back is I couldn't see myself drinking more than a few glasses because its a bit too sweet to drink all night. The mouthfeel is light and ideal and makes the beer very refreshing.

This is one of those beers that truely blew me out of my seat the first time I had it. It is soooo spot on for flavor and smell its truely an incredible accomplishment from Shorts. If you ever find yourself in Northern Michigan and are lucky enough to try this beer you will feel the same. Seek this one out!

4.47/5  rDev +21.1%

Served on tap at Short's. Milk, sugar, strawberries and biscuit malt aim to recreate the strawberry shortcake experience.

A: The ale is an amber color, brown with just a mild touch of strawberry red. Don't get me wrong though, this one looks like an amber beer. A finger of head went nowhere.

S: The ale wants to recreate the strawberry shortcake experience, huh? It does with flying colors. Biscuit malt, sweet strawberries, lactoce and sugar take their turns up front. I'm floored that the beer smells this dead on.

T: Much like the nose, this one is a proud flagbearer for shortcake. Biscuit malts are chewy and dry, setting up the lactic sweetness, sugar and fresh strawberries. Strawberries litter the finish with a mild sweetness. I am really impressed by this one.

M: Strawberry shortcake. Except for the alcohol, this is a dead ringer for dessert.

D: I should have pressed harder for a growler, I'd love to share this beer with people. Kudos to Short's for shattering barriers with this beer.

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last