Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by akorsak on 07-20-2009

Reviews: 154 | Ratings: 486
3.67/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a cloudy red/orange with a super frothy mostly white head that takes up almost a third of the pour. Smells exactly like a strawberry short cake. I am even getting hints of frosting. First sip is super sweet with the taste mirroring the nose. How do they do it? At Great Taste in 2011 I had Short’s Carrot Cake and that too was spot on. Again, I ask… How do they do it? Even the mouthfeel is cakelike. I am not a huge fan of sweet beers but this stuff makes one scratch their head and say out loud, “How do they do it? “

3.79/5  rDev +3.6%

12oz bottle courtesy of RocPorterFanatic. Into a DFH Signature glass.

A: Pours a chunky copper color with some pink notes when held to the light. A ton of chunks floating and moving around in here. Bulbous off white head that will not fade away. This thing was a bit of a gusher, thankfully it didn't explode. Would be nice if there weren't chunks.

S: Lots of strawberries right up front, a slightly bready profile winds up under the massive strawberry notes. A touch of a sweet, whip cream/vanilla type smell is in there as well. This actually smells really nice.

T: Lots of strawberries and a decent amount of grainy malt, almost more of a bread crust type flavor. Really a fruity beer. Slightly tart, but it works well with this beer. Pretty tasty stuff.

M: Medium body with prickly carbonation, finish is sticky and sweet and lingers for quite some time on the tongue.

O: Pretty interesting beer, I'd like to try some of the other odd ball beers like this from Short's, as I think they probably do most of them really well. Interesting, but interesting in a good way.

3.29/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. I received a huge box of Short's goodies from MarcatGSB and this is my first of their truly weird concept beers.

Appearance - Overflowing poured into the pint glass. 50% beer, 50% head. Thick, creamy head with tightly knit bubbles. The body itself is a light amber with a good deal of murkiness. Wisps of strange sediment kept falling into my glass, which has me slightly worried.

Smell - Very odd smell. Yes, I get some faint strawberries, but otherwise it smells like toast and some sort of salted nuts. There's a faint smell of what I guess is the "cream" to this beer. It's off-putting.

Taste - The taste is redeeming. Creamy start with a fairly hoppy middle flavor. The flavor goes through so many iterations so quickly it's hard to pin down what each one tastes like. It's not sweet, although it seems like it wants to be. The finish is tart strawberries and a bit of bitterness. Interesting, for sure.

Mouthfeel - Highly carbonated and tingly. Strange flavors do put off the drinkability, though. I don't know that I'd want to drink this again, especially in more than one sitting.

Overall - Glad I got to try this. It's so bizarre that I'm quite tempted to see what these other beers are like. It seems I have the whole lineup of odd Short's beers. This is only the beginning.

3.33/5  rDev -9%

12oz with no date poured into Deschutes snifter. Thanks to stickman1220 for this hook up.

A: Pours a really pretty pink amber color. Tons of head! 3 fingers of off white creamy head. Really tight bubbles. Lots of carbonation off bottom of glass. Sticky head.

S: I'll be honest, it smells mildly of strawberries and cream. Definitely helped by that milk sugar. Strange sweet malty nose.

T: Actually pretty easy drinking golden ale. The strawberries are there but not a ton. A little hop bite on the tip of the tongue. Nice crisp finish. Some sweetness on the tongue. No alcohol. I got a weird aftertaste that almost upset my stomach. Not pleasant.

M: Light bodied with some mouth coating.

O: I gotta B- on this one. It's definitely an interesting tasting beer and one that you should try just to TRY. I don't think you'll be drinking multiples of this one in a sitting though.

3.33/5  rDev -9%

Thanks Scott for yet another Short's beer! Poured into my Kuhnhenn snifter, compliments of Scott as well!

A- The beer pours a murky amber/orange color. VERY carbonated, possibly too much carbonation.

S- Slightly funky and tart with that underlying scent of Short's typical beer.

T- Too mcuh carbonation. Once that subsides I get a tart strawberry flavor that is quite nice.

M- Less carbonation would have been better.

O- I have had a couple of these and find them to be fairly refreshing.

3.32/5  rDev -9.3%

A ~ pale pink highlights amongst an otherwise yellowish/golden color...biscuity notes...

S ~ biscuit-like blended w/ strawberry...sweetness and sugary...

T ~ Follow the nose please, but just a little lighter..

M ~ somewhat of a smoother beer.. light body... but easy to drink...

O ~ not bad.. for some reason, thought I remember the flavor being stronger when I had it a few years back at the GABF...but who knows, that was a while ago..and itmay have beenfresher...Either way, decent beer..

3.17/5  rDev -13.4%

Thanks to Exiled for sending me this one!

Pours a hazy light reddish-brown with a huge 3 inch bubbly white head that fades to a film on the top of the beer. Random steaks of lace form on the glass on the drink down. Smell is strawberry jam/jelly, biscuit, and strawberry candy. Taste is of the strawberry jam/jelly and artificially flavored strawberry candy. A bit of a sourness comes through as well. This beer is way too carbonated to the point where it almost hurts to drink. Much more carbonation than a soda. Overall, this is a pretty average beer with a better smell than taste. I have a feeling there is some infection issue at hand with the sourness and the excessive carbonation. None the less it's another interesting offering from Short's that I could imagine would be pretty good if things were under control.

1.7/5  rDev -53.6%

First beer from Short's. Received as an extra. I always want to like my extras. I guess you can't like them all. Drank this straight from the bottle, but I graded the appearance as good, because I think all beer LOOKS good. The smell from the nose of the bottles was like...rancid strawberries. The taste excludes ANY kind of strawberry whatsoever. This is where the "short cake" comes into play what...a mess. I don't know how else to describe it. It's simply disgusting to me. I've taken 5 more sips than I've wanted simply trying to pin down what the fuck the taste is, but I give up. I'm not going to swallow one more sip in an effort to find out. Overall this was a complete miss. I have a couple other assorted Short's bottles to rip through. Hopefully there's some kind of improvement over this godawful disaster.

3.97/5  rDev +8.5%

12oz bottle that has been a big want, courtesy of jpmclaug as a great extra in a recent trade. Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a bright medium amber color that is clear, but has well defined floating particles throughout. Three fingers of rocky off-white foam sits on top and shows decent staying power...lasts for a couple of minutes slowly fading to the surface - very sparse lacing left on the glass.

S - A strong fruitiness that definitely has a big strawberry component to it but seems like it is complemented by some other fruit I can't quite place. A solid malt base that is sugary sweet and a bit biscuity. I'm also getting some whipped creamy aromas too.

T - Hmm, I'm gonna guess this is the same base beer used in Key Lime Pie also. Has the same crusty, almost graham crakery flavor at the base. The strawberry comes thru nicely on top of it...Strawberry is difficult to get to come thru in beer, but Shorts does a good job making it fairly forward in the flavor profile. I also get a bit of toasted marshmallow/merangue type flavor too.

M - Perhaps a bit over-carbonated...quite fizzy on the tongue. The carbonation gives a bit of a false sense of body here and makes it feel almost medium in heft. Works here pretty well...might also amplify the fruit thru the effervescence getting the strawberry flavors out and open to the senses.

O - Another good fruit beer from Shorts. I remember this one from EBF a couple years back and have been wanting more ever since. Doesn't disappoint at all. Not sure I could make this an everyday beer, but I could see myself coming back to this as part of a semi-regular rotation.

2.37/5  rDev -35.2%

Thanks to Jason for sharing.

A - For starters, the bottle gushed, not a good sign. Medium copper colored beer, off-white head. Some decent lace, looks solid.

S - Some mild strawberry smell and something that smells pretty moldy. Not a good smell, seems this is infected.

T - Not a good tasting beer, like moldy bread and strawberries, stale malts. Something has gone horribly wrong here. There is some okay strawberry flavor on the end, but not redeeming enough to save this beer.

M - Medium bodied with too much carbonation.

O - Highly disappointing, I've heard that this is good, but this bottle turned bad. Going to have to try this one again, but wouldn't seek it out due to Short's lack of quality control.

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

Thanks to badnewsbeers for throwing this in as an extra! Poured from bottle into tulip.

A- Beautiful dark golden color. Looks almost Belgian. Light carbonation w a very thin head.

S- smells like a sour/wild ale....then hint of tart strawberry, followed by the milk which adds both sour and sweet

T- very interesting...this one tastes just like it smells. Tart/sour/and finishes with a touch of milk sweet. Again, makes for a very good wild ale/sour.

M- pleasant feel and light carbonation...just as I expected it to be from it's appearance

3.94/5  rDev +7.7%

Reviewed a couple weeks ago, just now posting it.

Poured from the bottle into my Russian River Belgian glass.

A - Whoops, a little aggressive on the pour! Pours a deep reddish amber with a good amount of off white head. Retention is very formidable, with about half a finger's worth of head laying atop the glass.

S - WOW! Smells SUPER strawberry, with a hint of shortcake behind it. Almost exacty like the smell of freshly baked strawberry shortcake! Short's really hit this one on the head!

T - Taste is a bit of a letdown from the smell. The strawberries dominate and there is a definite tartness to it, so much so that it mostly drowns out the shortcake present in the nose. Hard to get past the tart strawberry right off the bat, as it really overpowers everything else. As good as the nose was, the taste is severely lacking...

M - VERY carbonated, which I feel contributes to the strawberry tartness dominating the taste. Gives a decent burn around the mouth as I let it stew in there for a few seconds. A little too much for this style.

O - The smell of this beer was absolutely PHENOMENAL. Now Short's just needs to match the taste to it, and this one would be a total winner!

3.17/5  rDev -13.4%

Many thanks to GordianKnot for the chance to taste this one. At the sight and name of the bottle, my manhood is in check, but I will try not to hold it against the beer. Poured from bottle into DFH snifter. At the opening of the bottle, there is a huge "POP" and a hiss, with a little bit of gusher action. Putting my nose into the bottle reveals a metallic aroma, and possibly some infection flavors. Pouring into the snifter, the head is out of control, full of cloudy fluffy head. Is this one infected? Smell- plastic hardcore. some sugary strawberry aroma, maybe like what you would get out of a Sara Lee strawberry pie filling box? It is artificial in nature. At second inspection, plastic is all I get.

Taste- better than I expected. I do get some real fruit flavors- and it is much more muted than I expected it to be. Was thinking by the nose that I would get some of the off putting flavors that were on the nose, but this strangely enough kind of works, and is pretty refreshing. It seems to be all about the fruit here- but not in a tart overdone type way. I might have even gotten some chewiness, perhaps a strawberry seed? I could be imagining that, it might just be a floatie that took on some sort of fruit flavor.

Overall, I don't hate this beer, and I was expecting to. I don't think I would seek it out again, but this was an interesting take on the fruit beer.

3.46/5  rDev -5.5%

Strawberry Short’s Cake is a dark copper color. Looks very hazy. Much moreso than I expected. It has a nice orange tint when held to light. Carbonation seems very active. The cap popped with force, and the head is off-white and stands about three fingers tall. Retention takes quite a while. Lacing was very sticky and thick.

The nose is just alright. Not very good. It’s interesting though. It has a strong lactic, sour scent. It smells much sourer than I would’ve guessed. There are some berry notes there, but they’re secondary to the sour scent. Definitely smells sugary and sweet. Some light, malty notes linger throughout. Smells a little like caramel. Alcohol isn’t very noticeable. Eh. It’s just okay. Could easily be better.

The flavor performs a little better than the nose. Enough to warrant a score bump. It’s definitely quite sour. I really didn’t anticipate that aspect of this beer at all, but it is a big part of it. Lactic is the word. The sour aspect isn’t quite as strong in flavor as it is in scent. That’s a good thing. There is definitely a strawberry flavor, but it’s still secondary. Should be more prevalent in my opinion. Having said that, it does complement the sour flavor better than you’d think. Milk sugars definitely give it a sweet taste. Light caramel adds a little more. Alcohol is buried. Finishes a little sour, fruity, and sweet.

Strawberry Short’s Cake has a light-medium body. Carbonation is active, but the bubbles feel pretty soft. It is relatively smooth and easy drinking.

Strawberry Short’s Cake is one of Short’s trailblazing brews. It’s definitely unique and quite the novelty. How is it? It’s alright. The sour, lactic aspect of it doesn’t exactly bring strawberry short cake to mind, but it’s not all that bad. A little more strawberry and a little less sour would probably improve it though. It’s worth a try, especially if you’re into exploring fruity beers.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: hazy copper orange with a 1 finger white head

smell: strawberry, sweet, malts,

taste: strawberry, malts, lacto,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: interesting beer. glad I got to try it. still nothing what I was expecting but atleast they try.

Cheers,
The CPJ

3.39/5  rDev -7.4%

A: pours with billowing white head that is quick to subside, clear amber at first with a bit of sediment towards the end, it may be slightly red...strawberry or just amber/red ale?

S: pungent strawberries, almost artificial in sweetness. slightly bready as well, perhaps that is cake part. there is none of the cloying, almost fuzzy sweetness of raw, over-ripe strawberry, but a lot of the fresh zest.

T: significantly less strawberry, slightly yeasty, perhaps vienna malts too, the "house" short's character is quite present, almost a generic amber ale that had tons of fruit treatment.

M: medium body, easy drinking, not much of a lingering aftertaste. most of the flavor was in the front with the smells.

O: another tasty beer from short's. i would not buy a sixer of this, but it was fun to sample, and i'd probably take another pour, if given at a bar.

3.21/5  rDev -12.3%

Pinkish hue in the glass, a generous inch of foam shoots right up and mellows in the glass, yay for 16oz snifters. Really great looking beer. Smell is of light fruit, bready sweet grain as well. Taste is easy, medium bodied. A metallic undertone is mellowed by lightly sweet strawberry and cream flavors, finish is off. The sweet fruits dies out very fast and leaves an undesireable flavor, much of a vegetal bandaid quality. Not a bad beer, for once, I wish it was more rich/sweeter.

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to aapp for this one! 12oz brown glass pry-top bottle, no date.

Pours with gusto - golden amber with some thin, off-white head. Nose smells like peanut butter waffers, or maybe vanilla ones, or the strawberry ones...you know those generic "waffers" with the "cream" in-between that come in tri-color bundles?...yeh. That.

Palate is sharp and biting...too cold. Tastes like peanut butter cake/waffer. Hold on, let's warm it up...Ok, it's starting to taste more like shortcake, but with strawberry "sauce" on it. I can dig it. Spot on afterall.

Kind of a bizarre beer, but I suppose nice and tasty. Only want one at a time, but worth checking out.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

poured from bottle into a Weizen glass. I traded to get this beer for the wife, I had told her of the different beers that Shorts offers and she was interested. I poured into glas and was fighing back a huge amount of head, slowed down the pour and let it sit for a bit. The color is of a rich amber, with a good 2 inch head, with very little lacing. The taste is best described by the title. Tastes like a Strawberry shrtcake, taste of yeast, strawberry and sweetened malt. Easy to drink, if you like fruit beers. I do not, but she loves it. I asked her to review it, but felt I could do it justice. Its sweet, but flavorful. So if you dont mind a dessert beer, this is a great offering.

4.17/5  rDev +13.9%

Bottle poured into a mug.

A- Even a conservative pour created a 2-finger, khaki head. The body was a hazy copper that sports heavy carbonation. The head at great retention at about 1/2-finger and left great sticky spots on the glass. Neither quality is generally helped by this glass.

S- It smelled like strawberry short cake (strawberries, angel food cake, and whipped cream). The strawberry aroma was most prominent at first. A cracker-like (graham) grainy quality took over a bit with warmth.

T- Much as the aroma suggests. Lots of strawberry, graham cracker (cake), and some lactic (cream) flavors. The lactic quality adds a twang in the finish. The strawberry does kick in again as an aftertaste. With some warmth, the grainy flavors really stepped up through the middle.

M- It's fairly light bodied. Heavily carbonated. The lactic flavors are a bit puckering.

O- This is an awesome experimental beer from Short's. It definitely tastes like strawberry short cake. My wife likes it (thumbs up). I can drink more than 1 without getting overwhelmed. I would definitely buy it again, especially as a fruity dessert drink.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

A- Amber color, with an ever-so slight red-hue

S- Smell is great. You get a wonderful fresh strawberry scent, as you'd expect. Sweet. Really looking forward to taste....

T- Hmmm....not what I expected. The strawberry is barely there. Good taste, but not at all what I was hoping for based on the smell.

M- Medium, sweet and smooth.

D- Taste is a bit of a let down, but a really nice beer for an early summer day.

4.34/5  rDev +18.6%

Bottle picked up at Plum Market in Ann Arbor. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance
I thought I remembered this being a little bit lighter in color when I at it at last year's MI fest. I guess there are a lot of factors here though, more beer, thicker glass, darker lighting. Its a pure, strawberry red. Very vibrant and chromatic. There are some chunky bubbles that form a loose head.

Aroma
Pure, fresh strawberries, especially before swirling. It really does smell like fresh cut strawberries that are about to be scooped onto a piece of angle food cake. Swirling brings up a milky creaminess and vague suggestions of very light malts.

Taste
Its flavor loaded with strawberries, but not as much as the aroma. Lots of sweet strawberries up front with a little bit of milky creaminess throughout. A faint malt base acts like the pound cake in the strawberry shortcake equation. It really does taste strikingly like it's namesake.

Mouthfeel
Light and very juicy. Supremely thirst quenching.

Overall
This is an excellent beer that really hits the mark. I wish I had more of this stuff.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours with a bright copper body and quite a bit of yeast/pectin floating about. Head is excellently retained thanks to an uppity carbonation level, and the creamy tan foam leaves behind some good lacing. Who knew strawberries made for good head retention? Smell is unique, something Short's has managed with almost every one of their dessert beers. Musty, almost over-ripened strawberry flesh backed up against a doughy bread note, lactose, and a hint of tartness suggesting green berry vines.

Flavor is less focused on the fruit and comes in stronger with the maltiness, laying down a semi-nutty, bread crust and graham cracker backbone upon which flashes of strawberry and star fruit are painted. Again, a tinge of sourness like a Wild Ale in its infancy--tastes like it should be there though, so no worries of infection. Mouthfeel is crisp and inviting in its medium-full body. Big bubbles lull across the tongue and make for easy drinking. Once again, Short's manages to pull off the unthinkable in the beer world. Gimmicky? Perhaps, but the craftsmanship is always solid.

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

696th Review on BA
Bottle to Goblet
12 oz

Thanks to @kzoobrew for this one

App-  A nice mix of oranges and yellows with a two finger head.  Leaves a nice layer of small bubbles as it falls.

Smell-  Spritzy berries with a bit of aciditic crispness behind it.  No cake follows but get scents of sugar

Taste-   Very crisp across the board.  The acid and fruits are a bit tarty with a nice sweet sugar balance.  Strawberries are a bit over ripe.

Mouth-  Medium bodied and high carbed.  A crisp tart feel follows with a strawberry note

Drink-  Much more spritzy white wine than a beer to me.  Pretty good though.  Shorts makes some very unique beers and im very thankful to kzoobrew for the box

3.21/5  rDev -12.3%

Aroma is actually tart like a strawberry yogurt. It pours a beautiful reddish amber color, very appealing.

If you think of the sour/syrupy, creamy spongey part of strawberry shortcake, you can certainly image where this beer is going.

Nice tartness, can be refreshing. Quite light in body. Very little hop bitterness, which of course, would ruin this beer.

I don't think I would buy a six pack of this beer, but I would order a pint in the bar or brewery.

Strawberry Short's Cake from Short's Brewing Company