Short's Kind Ale | Short's Brewing Company

good
Short's Kind AleShort's Kind Ale

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Availability: Fall

40-50 IBU

Added by seaoflament on 12-06-2009

1.28/5  rDev -65%

Thanks, Barry. Hazy gold with a small white cap that recedes to a ring. Bizarre vegetable aroma; cabbage, tomatoes, celery. There's not much I can pick out in the way of standard hop aroma, though the vegetable character seems to be coming from the hops. Maybe. On the palate it's rather slick and buttery up front, semi-sweet with more weird vegetable hop flavor. It cleans up quite a bit in the finish, ending on a dry and bitter note. What an odd beer. The diacetyl and strange hop flavor are pretty horrendous.

1.28/5  rDev -65%

2/1/2010

Consumed in a snifter, the beer is dark orange with a standard beige head and standard retention.

The aroma is of buttery tomatoes, cabbage, cooked carrots, and a slight white peppery floral presence. This is...hmmm...like a grainy buttery vegetable stew. I mean no disrespect when I say this smells horrendous. It's a DMS and diacetyl bomb of an aroma.

The flavor is equally as bad. It's of cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, celery. Wow. This is simply terrible. It's a buttery vegetable garden.

Two drain pours in as many nights from the same brewery. I won't recover from this...

1.53/5  rDev -58.2%

I got a bunch of Short's beers in a recent trade with schro126. Thanks, Nathan!

The pour is quite gorgeous, crystal clear golden orange with a dense white head that recedes pretty quickly, leaving little lace.

The nose is rather awful - cooked vegetable with a blend of spinach, cabbage and some citrus hops, some honey and some sugar. It brings to mind the Bud Clamato and Mamma Mia Pizza Beer.

The palate opens with a blend of solvent character, bitterness with grapefruit zest and the cooked vegetables of the nose. Quite harsh, this beer is medium-light in body with high carbonation, causing a prickly session that worsens the flavors and sensation. Drying on the finish with some bitterness, this just isn't very good, a drain pour for sure.

2.32/5  rDev -36.6%

First I have to thank my buddy Derek for the opportunity to try a new beer from Short's. The only description on the label says "Wet Hop Ale--From Field to Fermenter."

The beer's color is a rusty golden tone and with a solid inch of foam on top that leaves a few scattered strings of bubbles on the sides. The head falls down in a few moments and leaves a thin white film on top and a nicely formed ring around the glass.

At first I picked up a nice layer of tropical fruits but then I was distracted by an odd nuttiness and a sharp onion or shallot aroma (could be summit hops). There also seems to be a hint of alcohol in the background that tries to come through as "hot" but doesn't really get there, just distracts a bit. The malt profile is mostly caramel with a bit of toffee butteriness. Very very odd hop profile, can't really get away from that earthy onion aroma. At times I can detect a candy-like aroma and some orange but the onion, and now garlic, is just too distracting. I should add, the aroma is not that "explosive" or "in your face" but when I lean my nose in the glass all I get is caramel and onion.

The taste is somewhat better and I think I can taste the summit hops as it reminds me of my first homebrewed IPA that did not turn out well. In fact, it tastes very close to it...it even has a similar finish that is fruity, a little alcohol flavor, and "thick" on the palate...but this commercial brew is just a bit better than my homebrew. The malt flavor is quite odd as well, some subtle caramel, mostly just unidentifiable sweetness and some grassy hop flavor with a dose of yeast fruitiness.

As far as the mouthfeel the beer could be a bit drier for my liking, it feels a little thick and undercarbonated on the palate.

I was really excited to try this one and even though some Short's beers haven't been to my liking (Bloody Beer for example as I don't like tomato juice) but I think this is the first one I've had from them that I felt let down. Overall, the beer is pretty boring.

2.53/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Redhook shaped pint glass. On the first pour I get about 3/4 of a glass full of foam. Way too foamy for a pretty relaxed and easy pour. This is going to take a while to get this beer into my glass. The color of the beer as the foam fades is a murky orange amber. It did leave some good lacing from that huge head though.

The aroma has a mild citrusy hop presence to it with a bready, sweet, yeasty flavor as well. Slightly tart and moderately fruity. The aroma actually reminds me of a Saison.

The taste has some of the tart and yeasty flavors found in the nose. It had a dry bitterness in the finish but overall the hops were pretty mild. It had a moderate bready malt presence to it as well. Overall not what I expected, and not really that impressed overall.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and despite the huge foamy head the carbonation is pretty moderate. Drinkability isn't good, I really didn't care for it and wouldn't have another. It was moderately hoppy but had some other flavors going on that I just didn't care for. Perhaps something was wrong with it maybe?

2.64/5  rDev -27.9%

A- A clear, light orange liquid with a thin white head that leaves nice lacing. About right for the style.

S- Cooked asparagus and a bit of fruit. Not my bag.

T- Sweet fruit, honey, vegetables. Not as vegetable oriented as the aroma would lead me to believe. Still, this is not what I look for in a beer like this.

M- A nice carbonation level and a bitter lingering at the end that is right on.

D- The vegetable aspect diminished the more I got into it, but looking at it objectively I realized that this is still not what I really enjoy. Drinkable, but there are many better options out there.

2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

2.76/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle bought as a single on a trip to Michigan. This beer was probably 2 mos old when sampled, so not teh freshest, but I was surprised at how old it tasted.

Looks nice - golden orange with little head.

Smell is off - oxidized and perhaps some popcorn.

Taste has some nice clean malt and a touch of hops, but it's also got some cherry cardboard thing too. A tad buttery.

Mouthfeel was carbed and sparkling. Drinkability was average.

2.78/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Sampled on 4-17-10

Pours a cloudy golden amber color with a thin white head and clingy lacing.

Smell is nicely sweet with a light hop aroma, citrusy and tart. Not overly complex, but enjoyable.

Taste is odd. Slightly sour malt followed by a sharp hop bitterness. The aftertaste is very bitter and lasts forever, which completely ruins the beer.

Mouthfeel is good, a pleasant thickness with sizable carbonation that adds to the tartness.

Drinkability is poor, mostly because of the strange and intense bitterness.

Overall, not particularly good.

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle shared by bring on BA - thanks, Barry! largadeer was there and looking at his rating below, it seemed he really like this one.

Pours a hazy golden color with a small white head and decent lacing.

Aroma is rough fresh leafy and citrus hops and some very slight vegetal notes. Smells good, but hints at a little DMS.

Flavor is very vegetal with cooked corn and a little butter. Lots of DMS/diacetyl in this one. Leafy hops and sweet malt play a supporting role.

Medium bodied with a nice carbonation level. Mildly palate wrecking. Overall this was close to being a good beer, but the off-flavors really threw me.

3.06/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured to about a one fingered head. Head was a slight offwhite in color. Had some nice lacing that left rings with every swallow. Brew itself was golden in color. Smelled of citrus and pine. I actually thought the smell was a little on the light side. I didnt taste a lot of malt. Just the citrus pine taste. Also had a bitter aftertaste. Felt a little thin in the mouth. Carbonation I thought was right. Decent brew. Id buy again. I just wouldnt make it a session beer.

3.11/5  rDev -15%

12oz. bottle courtesy of iceicebaby. Thanks again Sean!

pours a very dark cloudy amber orange color with light golden orange hues when held to a light source and a half finger white foam head that quickly fades into a lasting ring. Not much lacing left behind.

Slightly earthy aroma with only a subtle citrus and pine presence. Strong lactic creaminess, prominent malt backbone and sweet alcohol. The hops smell very fresh but i was expecting the hop presence to be much more prevalent in the nose. Unfortunately it's completely overpowered and almost unnoticeable.

Very chewy resinous mouthfeel with some nice dry bitterness up front with a lot of fresh earthy/piny hops. The bitterness lingers throughout but is countered mid palate by a strong biscuit/caramel malt profile that is a bit overpowering. There's also a good bit of heat and alcohol warmth in the finish. This beer's not bad but i was expecting it to be much hoppier considering the style. Kind of a let down really.

3.24/5  rDev -11.5%

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Short's Kind Ale from Short's Brewing Company