Short's Kind Ale | Short's Brewing Company

good
Short's Kind AleShort's Kind Ale

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Availability: Fall

40-50 IBU

Added by seaoflament on 12-06-2009

4.5/5  rDev +23%

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Big thanks to grinnellj for sending this one out to me. This beer poured out as a nice looking copper color with a nice thin white head on top. The retention and lacing were pretty good on here. The smell of the beer was pretty well balanced, not as hoppy as some fresh hop ales I've had in the past but still had plenty to offer. The taste of the beer is nicely bittered with a subtle malt sweetness in there as well. The mouthfeel is medium to light bodied, very drinkable with a dry resin-like finish. Overall I enjoyed this beer quite a bit. I would drink it again.

3.48/5  rDev -4.9%

My first wet hopped beer.

Appearance: Poured with a surprising two-finger, creamy head. The lacing lasts from beginning to end. The beer is slightly translucent and orange. Probably this beer's highlight.

Smell: It smells pretty good, but it doesn't rock my socks off. Hops. Mostly of the earthy variety. Pretty much bursting with the hops.

Taste/feel: Almost all hops from beginning to end. This beer gets more and more bitter throughout the sip... I really didn't mind it that much though. I'm not familiar with wet hopped beers -- as I said, this is my first -- but it could have used a bit more malt. There was some spice and a touch of malt maybe at the end, but not quite enough. The feel of this one makes it pretty drinkable... appropriate for the taste. It's fairly thin, but not bad.

Overall, meh. It has a good bit of hop flavor, but there's just not enough malts in here, and the bitterness is a bit too much for me. This beer was best enjoyed -- for ME -- with a small bag of munchies. Funyuns, to be exact. A decent offering by Short's.

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

I picked up a bottle of Short's Kind Ale last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I missed out on this beer last year so I made sure to get a couple bottles to try this year and I'm in the mood for a Harvest Ale,, so lets see how it goes. This is the first time in awhile that I have actually seen a bottle date on a Short's brew, hopefully they will be more consistent, bottled on September 25th 2012. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label on this beer, it's a nice picture of one of the Short's staff holding up a freshly cut hop bine, i like it. It poured a nice and hazy golden color that took on a nice orange and amber hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of sticky white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left lots of nice lacing. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts out with tons of citrus hops that impart a very fruity aroma with some blood orange, mango, and orange juice aromas with grapefruit and apricot seeming to stick out the most. I also get a light bready and caramel like malt aroma that has a medium amount of sweetness, but it's quickly overpowered by the citrus hops. This beer is full of hop and citrus aromas, I really like it, I could be a little more balanced but I wouldn't want to lose any of those kick ass citrus fruit aromas.

T- The taste starts off with lots of nice citrus hop flavors, all those nice citrus fruit aspects that I got in the aroma show up nicely with the apricot and grapefruit still sticking out the most. After that comes some nice earthy hops flavors followed by some sweet malts that impart a bready and grainy flavor. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium bitterness with an earthy and citrus aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, it was a little unbalanced but the hops really shined through like intended and deliver lots of nice fresh hop flavors.

M- Pretty smooth, fairly dry on the finish, crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied, with a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but it felt a little thinner then I would like, but the mouthfeel still worked well with this brew.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good and true example of a Harvest Ale, I wouldn't have this listed as an APA, if you tried you would know that it's much more similar to an American IPA, but it fits nicely into the Harvest Ale category for me and it delivers in all aspects. This beer had good drinkability, it went to down pretty smooth while still having a good amount of bitterness and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, I could drink two or three of these but the bitterness could start to be to much after that. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma and taste they were both pretty good and full of fresh hops which is exactly what I want in this kind of beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad by any means but it just felt a little watery and I think a slightly fuller mouthfeel would make this beer just a little better. I would buy this beer again, I will for sure be buying a six pack if it's released next year, I highly recommend this beer to anyone who loves hoppy beers, the fresh hop flavors are sure to satisfy. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, it was full of fresh hop flavors that dominated this beer and were very nicely done, good job Short's you guys can make some crazy and unusual beers but when it comes down to it Short's produces some of the best hopped up beers in Michigan which I think can go head to head with some of Bell's and Founders popular hoppy beers, keep making great brews and I'll keep drinking them. I also like this one a little more then Ale la Reverend.

3.9/5  rDev +6.6%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled 9/25/2012. Pours slightly hazy golden amber color with a nice 1-2 finger fairly dense white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty foamy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of grapefruit, mango, orange zest, peach, herbal, grass, pine, honey, caramel, floral, bread, and light earth. Very nice aromas with good strength and balance. Taste of big grapefruit, pine, mango, orange zest, herbal, floral, grass, honey, caramel, and bread. Good amount of spicy pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, mango, pine, herbal, grass, and earthy spiciness on the finish for a while. Nice balance of hop flavors with a fairly nice balance of malt sweetness. Some moderate cloying bitterness on the finish for a bit. Medium carbonation and body; with a lightly creamy, crisp, and very sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with hardly any warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a very nice wet hopped IPA. Big hop flavor with good balance; fairly smooth and crisp to drink. Definitely enjoyed this.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Serving: Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip glass

A: Hazy apricot color, with a 1.5 finger white head, well carbonated.

S: Apricot, grapefruit, citrus, alot of hops

T: Apricot flavors with citrus and well hopped. I did'nt pick up much malt flavor, it finished with a big dry bitterness.

M: Mouthfeel wasn't bad a little thiner then I expected, nice carbonation to cleanse the palate.

O: Decent beer, refreshing but a little harsh on the bitter finnish too me. I would drink it again just not as a session beer.

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

Pours a bit hazed with a frothy thin halo of suds. Nose is fresh fruit with loads of pineapple and maraschino cherry & canned peach. Flavors are mostly the same with a perfect malty foundation underneath allowing the fruity flavors to fully rejoice. Clean and refine with a bit of an alcoholic aftertone. Not much to complain about.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%