The Liberator | Short's Brewing Company

shortsbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by jt31914 on 12-18-2009

3.95/5  rDev 0%

fresh bottle from Champagne Cellars. Opaque grapefruit coloured body with a small retained white head, leaving lots of lace behind. High IBU aromas, akin to hop pellets. A cup of grapefruit juice, funny how the zest brings it to the forefront. Hits the style, Tingling palate. Very drinkable.

3.12/5  rDev -21%

I was thrilled to stumble upon this bottle from a colleague who is in a beer trade club. When I told him Short's was my favorite Michigan craft brewery, he gave me the bottle. Given my love for Huma-Lumpa, expectations were sky high. (maybe too high.)

Pour is a very cloudy amber, with a 1 finger head that dissipates quickly. Aroma initially struck me as hop bomb...I was excited.

The taste was extremely sharp - pine, grass, and very peppery. The only real citrus taste I could pull out was that of tart grapefruit.

I still love Short's and can't wait until I get up to Bellaire next time, but this one just isn't for me.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

4.02/5  rDev +1.8%

Bottle poured into a 330ml sized standard "pint glass"

A: slightly caramel, with bright white head. Laces well and good head retention.

S: defiantly very fruity, but not like sticking your head up to a glass of OJ. Subtle enough that if I did not know there were orange and lemon zest in here, I would assume it be from the hops alone. Scent is rather sweet in general.

T: lots of oily hop juice in here. Finish is quite grainy and lots of caramel.

M: quite thick and juicy. No dryness here at all. Does not help the drink ability.

Overall: similar to a nelson Sauvignon hopped IPA. Everything is quite well balanced and alcohol is well controlled. A toutch of dryness on the palate would be really welcome however.

4.39/5  rDev +11.1%

Big thanks to surlytheduff for this surprising extra!!

Pours a great colored, slightly hazed amber orange. There is an inch of white head that holds up good. There is a moderate amount of spotty white lace as well.

The nose is really showing off that lemon and orange zest. A citrus punch blasts the nostrils and dominates. There is a fresh hop resin intertwined within the citrus fruit. Not much malt but I could care less.

The taste is also citrus packed with notes of lemon and orange. There is a malt backbone behind the citrus that resembles a biscuit-like malt. Nice and bitter.

The mouthfeel is possibly one of the driest feels I have experienced. So dry, like gin as it goes down. It is light-medium bodied with a nice mellow amount of carbonation.

Overall, I really enjoyed this brew. It's like the load of citrus made the beer finish very dry and I love it. This is where it's at. Wish I lived up there in the MI.

4.17/5  rDev +5.6%

I picked up a bottle of Short's The Liberator last week for $2.19 at The Lager Mill. I missed out on this beer last year and didn't want to miss out on it this year, so I made sure to buy a bottle, so lets see what I have been missing. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks OK, the lack of color makes it look a little plain but I like the hands crowd surfing the pint glass. It poured a nice orange/amber color with two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some nice sticky rings of lacing. Pretty good looking DIPA.

S- The aroma of this beer really hits you in the face and is all about the citrus fruits. I pick up some bready and caramel malts, but the main player here is the citrus fruits that dominate the aroma nicely. The orange and lemon zest are pretty evident and give this beer an aroma that smells like a mixture of orange juice and lemonade, there is also a little bit of piney hops going on also. This beer has a nice aroma that is heavy on the citrus.

T- I get a quick glimpse of some bready and slightly caramely malts then comes citrus and hops which pack a big punch. The lemon and orange zest show up nicely along with a little bit of grapefruit and a pretty good amount of piney hops to give this beer nice citrus and piney aspect with the citrus sticking out the most. It had a pretty high amount of bitterness with a fruity and slightly caramely aftertaste that really stuck in my mouth. The flavor follows the aroma nicely and is exactly what it is advertised to be, I like it.

M- Somewhat smooth, pretty bitter, medium bodied, and it had a medium amount of carbonation that suited this beer nicely.

Overall I thought that this was a pretty damn good beer and a nice citrus heavy DIPA. The lemon and orange zest addition really made the citrus aspect of this beer pop and it went well with the malt base and some piney hops. This beer has OK drinkability, I think one would be enough for me because of the high amount of bitterness. What I liked most about this beer was pretty much everything, there were no off flavors, it looked good, smelled good, tasted good, and felt good. What I liked least about this beer was the high amount of bitterness, it was a little too bitter, but that may be because I haven't had DIPA in a while, but I don't remember Hopslam, or Double Trouble being this bitter, so it might just be me, so I am not going to hold that against them since it's a DIPA and it is suppose to be pretty damn bitter. If there is still a couple bottles left at the store I may have to pick them up and you can count me in for a six pack if it is released next year. I would recommend this to anyone who likes DIPA's or citrus heavy beers, this will for sure cure your craving for a citrusy DIPA. Short's did a great job with this beer, the added flavor from the citrus zests worked really well with this DIPA, they can do some great things when it comes to experimental beers, but they also got some major skills when it comes to the hoppy beers, the more beers I try from Shorts the more they make me believe that they are the jack of all trades of the Michigan brewing industry.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

4.7/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - This beer pours a really nice clear orangish amber color. It has a fluffy 2-finger white head resting on top. The head has good retention, and it leaves a nice sheet of lace behind on the glass.

S - The nose has a big citrus aroma right away. It seems to be mostly lemony citrus, but there is some orange as well. There is a nice citrusy and piney hop aroma. Some scents of bready malt, caramel, fruit, and earthiness are also present.

T - The taste starts off with some bready malts and an explosion of citrusy piney hops. There is a ot of citrus and lemon zest flavor going on. There is some caramel in the background to balance the hops out. The finish leaves a strong lingering citrus hop flavor / bitterness.

M - This has a medium body and good carbonation. It goes down easy and has a nice smooth feel to it. There is some bready and caramel sweetness, but it is outweighed by the strong hop bitternesss. There is some eathiness, as well as some dryness on the back end. The strong citrus hop bitterness lingers on the tongue for quite a while.

O - This has great drinkability. The flavor is great and I was just hard for me to put this one down. Overall, I think this is a great beer and an awesome example of the style. I definitely recommend checking this one out. I really enjoyed it, and I would definitely buy it again.

4.7/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very little if any head to this brew, Color is light goldish brown and smells hoppy with a little citrus. Taste also contains a strong citrus flavor, mostly lemon and maybe orange. Also has a nice and bitter hop taste. There's an ok amount of carbonation even though there is no head. So yeah, this is a good beer. Only complaint is the $15 a six, though maybe worth it.

The Liberator from Short's Brewing Company