Short's PB & J | Short's Brewing Company

shortsbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by kegger22 on 12-18-2009

3.68/5  rDev +4.8%

12oz bottle. sampled feb 6/2010.

pours deep brown, nearly black, with a big brown head. the head drops slowly and leaves tons of lace behind.

aroma is nice. fruity. peanut and almond. bit of dark chocolate. lightly toasted white bread. cracker. bit of alcohol. perhaps a touch of lactic sourness too?

taste is nice. dark and milk chocolate. peanut butter. bit of lactic sourness. some slightly sour fruit too. light alcohol. caramel and toffee. bit of grain. pretty low bitterness level.

mouthfeel is good. medium body. just over medium carbonation level.

drinkability is good. nice balance. interesting beer. while the "pb+j" character is there, i like that it doesn't knock you over the head. good stuff.

3.26/5  rDev -7.1%

Thanks to hoppymeal for sending this one to me recently. This one was opened and shared last night.

A: The pour is a dark, slightly murky brown color with a voluminous tan head.

S: The nose is, unfortunately, quite tart. Underneath the tartness, however, are some nice peanut butter, roast, and sweet strawberry aromas.

T: The first sip reveals that the beer is sour. If you let the sip linger on your tongue for a moment, the sourness dies away and you are able to taste some roast and sweet, jammy strawberries.

M: The body is medium with a very high level of carbonation (probably due to infection).

D: I'm not sure if this one is necessarily supposed to be sour (I'm guessing not). I can tell that there is a good beer underneath the infection, but unfortunately, the beer is at least partially "ruined".

4.08/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours pitch black and completely opaque without even the slightest bit of lighter color when held to a light source and a massive frothy three finger light beige head with excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap that leaves large chunks of soapy lacing behind.

Slightly roasty aroma with a lot of toasty dark malt accompanied by some roasted nut and dark fruit. There's a strong dark chocolate malt presence along with some oatmeal and licorice. It's surprising how well the peanut and dark berry "jelly" elemts come through in the nose. The jelly characteristic is much stronger than the roasted nut. Lots of strawberry, raspberry, bluberry, etc.

Softly carbonated medium body with lots of dark/burnt roasted malt and sweet dark berry. Lots of deep roasted dark chocolate and coffee bean along with some prominent oatmeal and roasted nut. As in the aroma, the jelly elements are most prominent. Lots of sweet light fruit, especially strawberry, blueberry, blackberry and raspberry. Slightly tart with some earthy lactic funk. These later flavors overpower the roasted chocolate malt, oatmeal and peanut making this beer more jelly than anything. This beer is pretty tasty and one of the better offerings that Short's has bottled recently. I recently learned that this beer is a blend of the Uber Goober and Soft Parade. I actually disliked both of those beers, especially the Soft Parade(which is very prominent in this blend) but I'm enjoying this quite a bit.

3.3/5  rDev -6%

Bottle from hoppymeal.

The pour is dark, dark brown with a surprisingly active tan head that shows good retention and leaves spotty lacing.

The aroma is mostly soft parade for me with a lightly acidic fruit aroma with hints of sugar as well. I get a little roasted malts but not much in the way of peanuts or other stout characteristics.

The taste is even worse and seal the deal that this one is infected much like the Uber Goober I had the other night. It's mainly just the acidic sourness, some fruit and even less stout character.

The mouthfeel is highly carbonated due to the infection and thinner than I'd expect for the style.

Well, I opened this one tonight after reading about the infection issues and I'm glad I got to try it before it got completely undrinkable. As it is, the sourness is distracting but it's not a complete drainpour.

3.51/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle shared by bring - thanks, Barry!This is one hell of an interesting beer, even if it's a bit infected. They combined Uber Goober and Soft Parade to make a whole that's better than the parts (slightly better than Uber Goober, way better than Soft Parade).

Pours very dark brown with a creamy tan head that really lasts a long time.

Aroma is, well, PB&J, not surprisingly. Peanut butter and red berries are both very prominent, and there's also, as with Uber Goober, a hint of tartness.

Flavor is somewhat tart and lactic - unintentionally I'm assuming - with big time PB&J and mild roast. The jelly seems to be sort of a strawberry/raspberry blend, and a very tasty one, which surprises me a bit since I didn't care much for Soft Parade.

Medium-bodied with high carbonation - a bit too high in my opinion - and mild acidity.

Decent drinkability. Overall, a very interesting beer, and not bad, even with the tartness.

2.48/5  rDev -29.3%

Tried this out of novelty. Gross.

Poured from a bottle into a becher. Beer is dark brown and has a thin broken white head. Lacing is low and so is carbonation. Smell is slightly sweet, slightly lactic, lots of dirty carbon smell.

At first I taste almost nothing, then some roast hits me, then in the aftertaste...what's that....peanuts? Odd but not bad, second taste is a palate destroyer. GROSS! The peanut is everywhere now, not pleasant, odd sweetness...is that the jelly. Stop, I'm done no more please.

4.42/5  rDev +25.9%

A: Pours a dark brown with a very active head. The head is an interesting coloured light brown with a purple hue (unless it's just the lighting and my head). Head looks almost soda-like, with very little retention.

S: Smell is of tart grapes, and a rich chocolate-malt scent. Caramel malt, spicy rye. I really like the rye character in this one. Smells a bit like a sexed-up NG Old English Porter.

T: Smacks you up front with the lactic sourness, grape skins. Moves along to a light darker malt & chocolate profile. The sourness then comes back for a bit, before the rye make its presence well known near the finish. A good degree of alcohol in the finish--I wonder how this would age... Lingering puckery sourness with the fruity/spicy rye lingers in the mouth long into the finish.

M: A bit lighter than expected, and with very active carbonation (which works better with the sourness than it does with the darker malt and rye).

D: Not quite as well rounded as I was hoping, which I think might have something to do with being a little drier than expected. Alcohol heat is a bit of an issue, but I'll overlook it for the interesting flavour profile.

2.3/5  rDev -34.5%

Pours like a cola, complete with sizzling effervescent carbonation. A finger of head stays behind.

Smell is nutty maltiness and a bit of a bright metallic aroma that is probably from the fruit. Pretty appetizing still, despite the metal.

The taste is not appetizing at all. In fact, it is somewhat gross. Looks like this one might have an infection. At least, I hope that is the case because if what I'm tasting is supposed to be the fruit then Short's failed big time here. There is a metallic sourness that does not work at all.

Mouthfeel is on the full side of medium with way too much carbonation. Drinkability is nonexistent, I drain poured this after a few ounces.

I would not recommend seeking out bottles of this.

4.04/5  rDev +15.1%

Bottle purchased at some store in Ann Arbor that we walked to after the JP Lambicus release.

Pours a dark brown color with cherry highlights.

Smell is amazing. Holy crap! I got a hint of nuts with Uber Goober, but this is actually a PB&J sandwich. The fruit from the Soft Parade cuts the nuttiness perfectly.

Taste is OK. Smell was better. Decent nutter butter but too bitter with the straw/blue/raspberries. The good qualities of Uber and Soft combine nicely, but the bad qualities of each are just too much. Complex but flawed. A novelty after all.

Decent m/f. Good carb and body. Nicely drinkable beer.

4.33/5  rDev +23.4%

I was really scared to be honest going into this one. Not really sure what to think, but hey you gotta try it right? 12oz bottle was served chilled and poured into a pint glass, consumed on 01/22/2010.

The pour was magnificent and about what would be come normal for these shorts stouts. Rich dark brown, nearly black in color with a huge head of tan that came right up and sat effortlessly on the top of the glass. Smooth, and rounding down in coated the glass with tons of lacing. Aroma is sharp, sour raspberries and strawberries with only a touch of light peanut and sweet notes mixed in. Really did not think this would be as sour as it turned out to be. As I took the first sip I was blown away. The flavors mixed soo smoothly and evenly I was in heaven. Subtle notes of peanut butter, caramel, and sweet malts lay hidden under a puckeringly sour fruit flavor. Superb. Rich, creamy feel and a light dry finish left me looking around for more the second I finished it.

0verall wow. I was scared of the name but the concept is priceless. I love fruit stouts, and this is superb.

3.76/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a cervoise.

Appearance: Big brown head. Body is completely black. Looks like one hell of a stout. Good lacing.

Smell: Sour fruitiness and some peanuts. Doesn't exactly smell like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, the sourness throws it off.

Taste: The peanut butter stout side of the beer is rather enjoyable but the fruit flavor is way too sour. Is most like a PB&J in the aftertaste as the tart fruit subsides and the earthy peanut flavor comes forward.

Mouthfeel: Very fizzy.

4.44/5  rDev +26.5%

Got this beer from a trade with erikkoppin. Thanks buddy!

A: Pouring aggressively a chocolate milk head appeared but dissipated quickly leaving little lacing. Had a dark red hue that I could just barely see through

S: Smell was ridiculously awesome! Exactly what I think of as a peanut butter and jelly. I can smell the bread crumbs left on my plate!

T: Wow! This is sour? Doesn't taste as much like a PB&J like it smells but dam near close enough. I don't get to much of the stout in this which I wish it had but the flavor of a sour deep strawberry is more than welcomed.

M&D: With the awesome amount of surprising sour in this beer my mouth is still left with a slightly slick feeling maybe from the peanut butter stout I could actually chug this. My lady actually did do that. She absolutely loved it and is begging for more already. Awesome beer! love the idea and the experience is something to remember

3.64/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Jet black with suggestions of ruby red highlights as the light hits it. Pours with a 5-finger creamy caramel colored head, it lasts the entire beer but reduces to a one finger near the end. Not much lacing here.

S: Concorde grape, a suggestion of peanuts, berries (raspberry, strawberry), and a touch of hops. Not quite as aromatic as I thought it would be. The smell is unique though vaguely medicinal which sort of bothers me.

T: You are hit with tartness dominating upfront, then the grape suddenly reveals itself. Peanuts are playing backup here, yet they are definitely around. As you drink this beer, a non-berry hop floral flavor becomes noticeable. This beer is mildly sweet and sour, bitterness is extremely low. I was not expecting the sourness, this was a surprise. After the romance with the surprising flavor is over, a lack of complexity is apparent but not a big deal here. Malty flavors are masked by the sourness. I quite like the sourness, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that it shouldn't be here. This one is definitely infected.

M: Well carbonated and slightly more viscous than I thought it would be.

D: Low, it took me awhile to finish one of these. I am glad I tried this as it is unique, but it is not a session beer.

O: A unique beer that is worth trying out, but is not something I would seek out next year when/if it is re-released. Though I feel the rating I give here is accurate for each criteria, for the record, I have yet to be a fan of the fruit/vegetable beer style.

4.12/5  rDev +17.4%

12oz bottle, an extra from Wadsey. I'd heard of this beer but wasn't sure even what style to expect, now I can see that it's like a black and tan, but in this case a stout and fruit ale. More specifically, a peanut butter stout and a fruit rye ale.

The beer is dark murky brown color, opaque but hinting at turgid, with a dirty brown large celled foam on top. Looks like Mississippi river water, including the soapy foam you sometimes see on the surface. The aroma is peanut butter, I've never smelled anything quite like this in a beer before. Underneath that is some roasted malt, but I don't notice any fruit until I taste it. Strangely, this tastes a lot like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, very well named. Sort of tart from the fruit, not really sour but a little puckering, only a touch of rye spiciness, and a long roasted peanut aftertaste. There's a lot of carbonation giving a peppery mouthfeel, otherwise a medium mouthfeel. Overall a very good novelty beer, not something to go after too often but cool to try. Thanks Clint for the opportunity!

4.45/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into two small snifters. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist! Extra special thanks to Randalld for this from our recent trade!

A: Pours a rich, stout-y black with a slight hint of garnet at the extreme edges. A gentle pour netted a bubbly, 1-finger head that quickly settled down into a thick creamy ring that is dark khaki in color. Much lace remained.

S: The delicious fresh tangy berry aroma of Soft Parade mixed with dry roasted peanuts. As it warms, some aromas of toasted malt and (I swear) peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!

T: Tastes exactly as it smells. The berry comes on right away and stays almost until the finish where the peanut flavor shines.

M: Tart and tangy. Lots of fresh berry. I was hoping for a bit more roasted nut and/or stout feel...but who's complaining?

D: We weren't quite sure what to make of this when I told Heather I had a couple bottle of this coming in a trade. When the box showed up and she read the label and said, "I bet they blended it with Soft Parade!". Soft Parade is one of her all-time favorites. What an interesting beer! We've never had anything like it. Shorts, please come to IL.

4.02/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance: Poured absolutely pitch black, as dark as the night. I expected to see some hints of Soft Parade, but this is all stout. Completely opaque, no edges, no light peeking through at all. The head was big and frothy at first, about two fingers. It receded a bit but stuck around for the ride.

Smell: It really does smell like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Roasted malts play in with the peanuts. Follow by the fruits, specifically strawberry and raspberry.

Taste: Similar to the smell, but the berries come in to play first. The berries are tangy and almost a bit sour. The peanuts and roasted malts come in after that. I actually expected the fruit here to be a bit more subtle. On the finish there is a trace of biting citrus bitterness. All the flavors are thoroughly enjoyable, but it just doesn't seem to be the best of marriages. Instead of flowing together it seems like they fight each other a bit.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied. Sharp, tingling carbonation that seems off for a stout. It can probably be chalked up to the Soft Parade blended in.

Drinkability: One of, if not thee, most interesting beer I've had yet. It's quite tasty, but as I mentioned before the combination of all these flavors is a bit rough. It's just a little too busy and sweet.

Overall I've found you never know quite what to expect when you try a beer from Short's. It's best to leave any preconceptions at the door. I do wish I would have picked up more of this when it was available. It's like nothing else out there.

3.94/5  rDev +12.3%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip. No bottled date.

(A)- Pours a near pitch black color, but does have some faint red highlights. Produced a rather fizzy tan colored head that has some good retention behind it.

(S)- This smells EXACTLY like a peanut butter & jelly sandwich! Roasted peanuts and Jelly! It even has a wheat bread-like nuance. Definitely one of the weirdest, funkiest, but good smells ever! Reminds me of every lunch period as a child at school growing up & eating my pb&j sandwich; a very fond & nostalgic smell for me.

(T)- Ok, not as good as the aroma, but still interesting. Has a dry roasted peanut presence that flows into a dry, yet yeast-like wheat bread middle. Finishes in a slightly jammy jelly-like sweetness. Still very similar to the smell, only a bit more separated & pronounced. Has just a twinge of bitterness within the yeast & peanuts.

(M)- Has a rather fizzy carbonation level that distracts you from the actual tastes & creates a disjointed feel as well. If it were not so carbonated, you would be able to pick up more of the Jelly-like fruits on the finish better; therefore making it better balanced.

(D)- What a bizarre yet fascinating beer! Definitely one of the oddest but coolest concoctions ever. What makes this so interesting is that it is actually rather good; I was expecting to hate this beer going into it. It delivers exactly what the name describes. A beer like this makes you feel like a kid again! (almost). Everybody needs to try this beer, its definitely not for everyone, but at least give it a try; very unique.

3.66/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Black body, hints of brown tinge towards the bottom, with a thick brown-colored head with hints of cherry.

S: Dry, roasty, very little fruit presence. Aromatics are minimal, but pleasant as far as they go.

T: A smooth coffee-like stout flavor up front, with a dry peanut-flavored finish and a sweet fruity aftertaste. Overall the beer is somewhat sweet with mild undertones of fruit, but with the roasty coffee flavors dominating.

M: Moderate body, high carbonation, minimal hops.

D: Quite drinkable. It's much less sweet than I was expecting, with only a touch of the J side of the PB&J really present here. Those looking for a fruity beer will be disappointed, though.

4.49/5  rDev +27.9%

Again another great bottle from eyebrews! From notes

A: Dark black and somewhat syrupy with a nice fluffy brown head about an qaurter in thick. The head retention is very good but there is no lacing.

S: It smells just like PB&J! It has the mild peanut butter flavor followed by some crusty wheat bread(i eat mine on wheat) and then there is the sweetness from the raspberry and grape jelly! Some may not enjoy this because it is different than lots of beers out there but this one brought out the kid in me.(even though i am still pretty young)

T: Again just like PB&J. The jelly is up front with lots of fruity sweetness and then it finishes with a nice Peanut Butter note in the finish.

M: There is a slight bit of harshness to this and it is a bit light, but there is some creaminess as well.

D: At first just a little bit went a long way but the more I start sipping it the more i was enjoying it. One bottle at a time is very tasty but i cant wait to try it again

4.04/5  rDev +15.1%

12 oz. bottle.

Dark leathery brown body with a small, somewhat-fizzy, light tan head. Nose shows the unmistakable signs of peanut butter, along with sunflower seeds, dark chocolate, light roasted coffee, cherry Jolly Ranchers, and strawberries. Like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? Pretty damn close!

Toasted, bready malts up front along with roasted coffee and dark chocolate bitterness. Peanut butter comes in mid-palate, slightly more restrained than in the straight-up uber goober. Slightly earthy, peaty roasted malt segues into pleasant bitterness. Underneath it all is a slightly tangy berry juice that provides a nice contrast to the rest of the flavors. Medium body with a bit too much fizziness in the feel; if this were creamier it would be better (IMO). Interesting and tasty!

4.18/5  rDev +19.1%

Once again, eyebrews to the rescue! Now, when I heard this beer was a blend of Uber Goober and Soft Parade, I was a little concerned because I wasn't too keen on Soft Parade. But with a name like PB&J... you gotta pull the trigger.

Black pour with fizzy head. That soon settles down into a thin rim.

Tons of berries in the nose, a la Soft Parade, but there are those ballpark peanuts prevalent in Uber Goober. Hmm. It is what it says, but that has me a little on edge since I didn't love these two beers.

Wow! Does this ever taste like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. How the hell do they do it? Roast, white bread crust, strawberry preserves... delicious!

Lots of carbonation and a dry finish. Another winner! This MI brewery is just so unique, forward-thinking and fresh... Short's is now my favorite brewery. Sorry Surly... Short's only looks out for me!

4.07/5  rDev +16%

a - pour a deep brown with a two-finger light brown head, good retention and lacing

s - smells strongly of freshly ground peanut butter with lighter notes of strawberry jam, some lighter spice aromas as well

t - surprisingly balanced and tasty beer, as you might expect, a very strong peanut butter flavor mixed with strawberry and raspberry preserves, notes of spice on the finish along with a lingering peanut and strawberry flavor, slight alcohol presence

m - medium-bodied and moderately carbonated, somewhat sweet on the finish, slight alcohol warming

d - definitely more drinkable than the Uber Goober, but still a bit of a sipper, flavor is pretty interesting in that it hits the PB&J taste spot on

Really great job by Short's of translating a PB&J sandwich into a beer. It tastes a whole lot better than it sounds.

4.3/5  rDev +22.5%

I have the good fortune of being in Michigan visiting my parents for Christmas right when all of these new Short's bottles are appearing on shelves. Picked up a sixer of PB&J in Ann Arbor this week. Pours an unassuming brown with tan head. Smells and tastes of...peanuts and fruit. Pretty amazing. I was skeptical of how this would come off, after having a pretty nasty peanut butter beer by another brewer at GABF, but this turned out delicious. The peanut butter and jelly flavors aren't over the top, and are perfectly complemented by the mouthfeel, which is neither too thick nor too watery. With an ABV that isn't too high, I find this to be a highly drinkable beverage. I may have to pick up more to take back to Denver with me.

4.45/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours with little to no head with a hard pour. The beer is a dark black with slight ruby undertones

S: This beers smells like the first bite of a PB&J when you are young. Dry roasted peanuts and strawberry jam

T: Starts with a nice roasty stout with subtle chocolaty undertones. When this beer warms slightly the roasted peanut comes through strong. There are berry undertones running all through this beer while never being cloyingly sweet.

M: Creamy and rich

D:If you like peanuts and berries this beer is for you.

Overall this beer is another shining example of Joe Short's willingness to brew off the wall beers and completely nailing them. I strongly recommend trying this unique beer.

4.38/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours thick and dark with a slight head with little retention. The color is that of a brown ale, mixed with a bit of purple, quite unique.

S: Bouquet is upfront, with plenty of PB&J. The most unique thing I have ever come across.

T: Starts out as a typical, chocolatey RIS, but, as the main flavors fade away, a distinctive PB&J flavor comes through. Subtle, which is great because I expected this to be overpowering and sweet.

M: Thick and chewy, like a good RIS should be.

D: I was ready for disappointment going in to this one, but it was truly an example of the Brewer's skill. Worth seeking out, as it is a one of a kind beer.

Short's PB & J from Short's Brewing Company