Good Humans Ale (Dry Hopped Double Brown Ale) | Short's Brewing Company

Good Humans Ale (Dry Hopped Double Brown Ale)Good Humans Ale (Dry Hopped Double Brown Ale)

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Good Humans was originally created to showcase one of Briess Malting Company’s new malt varieties. Originally planned as a one-off beer, it quickly became a favorite brew. Good Humans is a Double Brown Ale made with Carabrown Malt and dry hopped with Simcoe and Golding hops. The brew has sweet malty esters that are met by huge toasted caramel and toffee flavors. The finish is dry with a bouquet of hops.

Added by webmanspidey on 12-20-2009

3.8

4.75/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +25%

4.71/5  rDev +23.9%

One of my favorite seasonal beers from Short's. Poured from a bottle into a glass. Seth Bernard did the drawing on the label with lyrics from his song "We're Humans", both of which I love.

A - Opaque, dark reddish brown, very thin head.

S - Orange peel with a very malty sweetness. Mild hop aroma and a very smokey molasses.

T - Rich maltiness, mild hoppiness. Strong coriander on the finish and very dry on the finish. Has that signature Short's finish that I can't put my palette on -- we'll just call it the Short's umame.

M - Soft, bitter, and frothy.

D - High -- very smooth, goes down quick.

4.71/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

For me, this was just a really unique, tasty beer... really liked tasting the hops on top of the sweet brown ale flavour.

4.7/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Actually a fan of Short's actually liking them more than, cough cough, Bell's. Very good brew without getting into the particulars...

I just want to know who the middle man is? Briess? ;)

4.69/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm a hop head so I love this dry hopped take on a brown ale. My new favorite brown ale.

4.67/5  rDev +22.9%

As I poured this brew into my nonick pint glass, out came a cloudy brown ale with a slight bit of an orange glow in the light. There was a nice, white, full head on top with great retention as I tipped the glass. Upon dipping my nose into the glass, there was an overwhelming hop aroma; beautifully hoppy. There's a tinge of malt backing, but the majority of the scent is a nice, cirtusy, floral hop goodness. The brew has an uncommon, yet delightful, flavor to it. You can taste the brown ale, you can taste the hops, but there's a quality, citrus balance in between it all. It tastes more like a well-balanced IPA than it does a brown ale; however, the amount of malt and slight bit of roastiness I taste within, makes it switch back and forth on my palate. The citrus/fruit undertone mellows out all the flavors and brings it back to earth. I really enjoying this brew's flavor. After each sip was a fruity sensation that almost had the essence of a lime zest. Little heat after-the-fact as well... I mean, it is a double afterall.

4.65/5  rDev +22.4%

My go to beer. Unfortunately it is seasonal (winter), I would love to be able to enjoy it all year long...... though I recently found a few bottles this summer. Good Humans has a smooth feel with a solid end, yet not over robust for a brown. If you like reds and are looking for a bit more body Good Humans is a good choice.

4.62/5  rDev +21.6%

so i decided last night to break out 10+, thats right 10+ new shorts beers for a nice sampling with the family. turns out my and my brother in law were the only ones willing to go down this road, so long afternoon for sure. serve cold and consumed on 10/02/2010.

an absolutely exceptional beer to say i was thrilled to death to be able to try this would be the understatement of the night. pours out a nice medium brown color with a short lived head of off white that has just enough to it that it is able to coat the sides of the glass with a light lacing.

a really nice and healthy dose of hops great you as you take the first breath in. warming with a definite alcohol nose but this is shunted by a ridge caramel malt that balances it perfectly against the rest of the profile. smooth, rich and much fuller then one would expect the richness of the flavor wastes no time at all in coming across here. really well done the brown sugar and earthy base is cut by deep, piney hops and a resonant alcohol touch that really warms the belly. smooth finish leaves a dry touch that is both a nice and clean finish but has a small hint of roasted nuts that pops up.

overall would take this any day over an arrogant bastard or other strong ale. just really, really well done.

4.6/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the best brews from Short's. I really recommend this one to anyone who is a fan of Brown ales

4.6/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured a nice 2 finger head. I love the rich amber dark brown clear color. Some lacing and the head settled to a thin ring.

I got more hop and citrus than I expected from the smell. Great fresh dry hopped flavors. Grassy and earthy. My guess is drink this early, ageing may loose the punch of the dry hops.

This one really is growing on me. For a brown it has more hops than expected with the ibu only at 19 you really get hop flavors but not the bitterness. I get caramel and toffee flavor and a mix of the floral and citrus of the hops. I like the lingering aftertaste .

The sweetness is balanced with a clean fresh feel. You do get some lingering stickiness but it's not cloying.

This is more complex than other browns and I liked it better the second time I had it. I like the changes as it warms and it was easy to finish. I would look for this one again. 12-15-2012

I tried it again and I love it even more a year later, it really stands out for me. 11-27-2013

Returned to it 2-4-2015 This stands out again. Very drinkable and better than most for it's price. Compared with many of the other beers I've had lately, I'm enjoying this a lot. And that compares with Hopslam. Not saying it's like it, just that I am enjoying it.
Outstanding, well done. Thank you Short's

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

4.52/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Good Humans Ale (Dry Hopped Double Brown Ale) from Short's Brewing Company