Good Humans Ale (Dry Hopped Double Brown Ale) | Short's Brewing Company

Good Humans Ale (Dry Hopped Double Brown Ale)Good Humans Ale (Dry Hopped Double Brown Ale)
3.79/5

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Good Humans was originally created to showcase one of Briess Malting Company’s new malt varieties. Originally planned as a one-off beer, it quickly became a favorite brew. Good Humans is a Double Brown Ale made with Carabrown Malt and dry hopped with Simcoe and Golding hops. The brew has sweet malty esters that are met by huge toasted caramel and toffee flavors. The finish is dry with a bouquet of hops.

Added by webmanspidey on 12-20-2009

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

4.6/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured a nice 2 finger head. I love the rich amber dark brown clear color. Some lacing and the head settled to a thin ring.

I got more hop and citrus than I expected from the smell. Great fresh dry hopped flavors. Grassy and earthy. My guess is drink this early, ageing may loose the punch of the dry hops.

This one really is growing on me. For a brown it has more hops than expected with the ibu only at 19 you really get hop flavors but not the bitterness. I get caramel and toffee flavor and a mix of the floral and citrus of the hops. I like the lingering aftertaste .

The sweetness is balanced with a clean fresh feel. You do get some lingering stickiness but it's not cloying.

This is more complex than other browns and I liked it better the second time I had it. I like the changes as it warms and it was easy to finish. I would look for this one again. 12-15-2012

I tried it again and I love it even more a year later, it really stands out for me. 11-27-2013

Returned to it 2-4-2015 This stands out again. Very drinkable and better than most for it's price. Compared with many of the other beers I've had lately, I'm enjoying this a lot. And that compares with Hopslam. Not saying it's like it, just that I am enjoying it.
Outstanding, well done. Thank you Short's

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

4.31/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

First review, let's see how amateurish it comes off!

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

I'll start off by mentioning I am relatively uninitiated in the world of Short's beer. I haven't had much outside of their year round offerings (besides Publican Porter, which is my absolute favorite in the style), and was curious to try Good Humans!

The beer pours nicely with roughly a finger length head. It's bold and dark brown in appearance, almost black like a porter.

It smells of citrusy aromas, some malty goodness, and has a surprisingly hoppy aroma.

The taste was much like the smell, but also had a unique tinge of chocolate, molasses, and brown sugar to accent the citrus. A bit of biscuit and malts were swirling around on the tongue, as the bittersweetness struck my palate. The beer was pretty hoppy, but nothing compared to a normal strength IPA. The ABV was extremely well masked, I could not detect any booziness, which is both surprising and pleasing in a beer at 8% ABV.

The beer is medium bodied, so it enters the mouth with some viscosity. The beer isn't exactly super characteristic in mouthfeel, but it holds it's own without feeling watered down. Overall, very pleasing in the mouth.

With that said, I was more than happy with this beer, definitely one of the best Brown Ales I've had for such a great value ($9.99 a sixer at Champane's Wine Cellars in Warren, Michigan). The bold flavors accented by the hops will satisfy both hop heads and people looking for something to savor alike. I'm definitely going to be jumping on the Short's bandwagon for awhile, and look forward to trying this year's winter variety pack next.

Stay tuned for more reviews yet to come!

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

3.98/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I really enjoyed this beer. The color of slightly dark chocolate. Perfect mouthfeel. Not highly carbonated but by no mean thin or flat. This is hoppier than most browns I've had but it's not overdone. Taste is a nice balance of the hops and a mild combo of brown sugar and caramel. I saw the ratings here and didn't have high expectations but this definitely surpasses them.

3.38/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy dark brown color. There's about one fingers worth of off-white colored head. The head has a nice texture, decent retention, and leaves some nice rings of lacing behind.

S: The hops here are pretty spicy, but a bit faded. Therefore, that leaves the malt to do much of the heavy lifting - in this case, it's a dry and nutty backbone instead of a sweet and fruity one. Just a kiss of dark fruit exists behind the malt/hop mixture. Its aroma doesn't work amazingly, but it does work solidly.

T: Going by the flavor profile, the hops - in their current state - only act as a ballast for the maltiness. It starts with a combination of molasses and a kiss of Centennial hops, and finishes with a decent amount of licorice, and a minor raisiny undercurrent. While not all the flavors (read: the licorice) fully appeal to me, it is a mildly complex, balanced brown ale.

M: The feel is rather thin, with a little bit of lingering sweetness. There isn't much carbonation here, either. Nonetheless, the slender, slightly flat feel gives it great drinkability for 8%.

O: Nothing too special here. Basically, it's just a decent, easy drinking brown ale the does a good job of belying its alcohol content. I wouldn't seek this out, but I'd gladly kill this six pack with minimal effort.

Good Humans Ale (Dry Hopped Double Brown Ale) from Short's Brewing Company