Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Key Lime Pie | Short's Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by jrallen34 on 02-21-2010

Reviews by stbo101:

1.43/5  rDev -58.4%

Received as an extra from Jeremiah. Even though I didn't like this beer, I am EXTREMELY grateful for the opportunity to have tried it. Sampled 9/14/11. 12oz bottle to pint glass. No ABV or batch number indicated.

A: Pours with a large light brown head, fizzy and soapy in texture, and rapidly diminishing. The body is medium brownish-orange and very murky with decent-sized white flecks of adjunct floating on top. An endless supply of bubbles race ferociously to the surface. No chance of lacing.

S: The label warns: "Beer brewed with marshmallow & lactose with lime & graham crackers added." Well, most of those ingredients were evident but I've had more marshmallow-forward beers that didn't actually include them in the brewing process. Toasted cereal (think Grapenuts) and the faintest hint of chocolate. Lime-y hops. A little must. This is all very odd. I swirled the glass to bring out more aroma and kill off some of the extra effervescence - but all I effectively did was arouse more chunks of sediment.

T: Stale graham cracker, sour milk and Chinese food. I get the key lime pie flavor to a degree, but I fear it is more from the power of suggestion than anything else. Long lasting flavor (is unwanted and) leans toward the sweet side. Unexpectedly acidic. My stomach is starting to turn lol.

M: The body is light and thin with a mineral-like texture. Carbonation is way too high.

O: Gotta love Shorts - and their risky brewing endeavors! This didn't work though. Perhaps fresh on tap from the source is another story...

Despite my poor review, again, I'm very happy to have tried this beer.

2.37/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Pours the color of what I can only imagine burgundy and bubble gum would look like. Almost no head to speak of even at a hard center pour in a snifter. Very thin moss settles on top. 90% opacity.

Not getting much for aroma here, just some graham cracker, gingerbread, and barley. Very faint though, imagination required.

Taste...how do I describe it? It's some otherworldly dimension of awful. It's incredibly sweet, but that's the only thing that's actually keeping me from spitting it out. Clashes of spice, tomato juice, lime, sour milk, metal, and kids' bubble gum toothpaste. Just...how do you even??

Feel is cleansing and crisp, and leaves a nice semi-dryness on the palate.

While I was in Wisconsin I debated picking up a six pack of this, then I decided to put it back and purchase two singles. Well I changed my mind and grabbed one single instead. That was the smartest thing I did that day. This is just really, really cloyingly awful.

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

3.49/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Old Chicago. Pours a soft amber color with a weird, olive-green tint to it - not heavy, but a little "sickly" looking. Translucent with a bit of haze in the middle. Head nearly nonexistent, except for a small, white ring around the edge of the beer, possibly due to the pour, however. Aroma definitely had some light grahama cracker, alongside toasted caramel from the malt. Lime? Yeah, it's there. Or, something is, rather. The aroma doesn't give off immediate sensors of "lime", but SOME kind of fruitiness that seems more flat and sweet instead of tart and vibrant. Zesty, but not exceedingly so.

The taste is.... strange, to say the least. Starts off with a bit of citrus flavor; lime and lemon - again, moreover it's just sweet and kind of "laid back", not at all tart or sour like lambics, wild ales, or some other fruit beers. Bread from the malt, as well as an even lighter presence of caramel, adds a bit to the sweetness. Lack of a bitter counterpoint can make this beer seem too sweet after a while, but my 12 oz pour was very manageable. After a while, the flavors grow, but they don't necessarily evolve. Sweet, light citrus finish with little hints of malt. Thin body with a heavy carbonation handle.

The first time I tried this beer, I wasn't exactly sold on it. But the more I drank it, the more I liked it. It's interesting, extremely unique, and very refreshing. Not my favorite Shorts brew by a country mile, but enjoyable nonetheless, especially when you feel like stepping out of the box just a bit.

2.55/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.88/5  rDev +12.8%

Thanks to RBlaszak for sending me this bottle.

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. (I was hoping the beer would be green, oh well.)

The aroma is limes with some tartness. I also get some caramel and bready malt.

The flavor is very nice (but I am not sure if I am really tasting these components, or just imagining that I am after reading the label). The first taste I get is tart limes, but I also get some honey and bready malt - aka - graham crackers. I also get some creamy notes which taste about like marshmellows. The flavor has a nice mix of sweet and sour that I am really digging. After reading the label, I think I can pick out each of the components. If I hadn't read the label, I am not sure what the result would have been.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

One of the best Short's beers that I have tried. I love this brewery and hopefully I will get to try some more of their beers.

1.5/5  rDev -56.4%

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

3.52/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.7/5  rDev +7.6%

Bottle shared by Lee - thanks!

Pours a hazy copper color with a half-finger white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of moderately sweet crackers - half graham and half oyster. Also present are good amounts of indistinct and grainy light malts and slight amounts of artificially sweetened lime notes.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though not as well-integrated. Somewhat dry pale malt flavors kick things off and are joined almost immediately by sweet cracker flavors. Medium citrus flavors leaning toward lime but also with hints of grapefruit join in shortly thereafter before sweetening up midway through the sip, somewhat artificially. The citrus flavors fade out, allowing the cracker and malt flavors to carry through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall this was a very interesting beer that tried harder to emulate it's namesake than maybe it should have. The cracker flavors were the most off-putting and I think a more lime-forward beer would have been tastier. Still, despite the somewhat low score this beer is worth a shot to see for yourself.

3.31/5  rDev -3.8%

Reviewed 10/21

I had heard many good things about this beer, and although I'm not a fan of real Key Lime Pie, I felt it necessary to give it a try. The pour is a translucent medium brown color, with a thin, slightly creamy foam. You definitely get a nutty aroma right away. With a creamy, graham cracker taste up front, the beer finishes a little warm, with a slight, lasting lime taste at the end.

3.44/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Burnt amber with red hues. No head or lacing on this beer.

Smell - very sweet up front, perhaps from the marshmallow. lots of tropical fruit as well.

Taste - wow is this all over the place and I am not sure how much I like it. sweet and tropical, but then a burnt flavor to follow that is interesting.

Mouthfeel - that burnt flavor is interesting and stays in your mouth

Overall - they tried something new and it was fun to try.

2.87/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

2.25/5  rDev -34.6%

3.7/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is one I had to try again after having a very small sample in the 10/1/10 Toledo tasting. Thanks to a non-BA buddy up in MI, I was able to.

This one's sort of a hazy coppery orange in the glass. A spotty, thin white head forms with above-average retention, leaving thin spots of lacing on the glass.
Interestingly, there's not as much lime on the nose as in the flavor, and I've really got to pull to get some. It does smell like pie crust, though, and there's a nice sturdy malt backbone with what I assume is intentionally diacetyl aroma to add a buttery effect to the pie crust aroma. There's a bit of lactic sweetness as well (the marshmallow, perhaps?).
Here's where the lime kicks in, and when it does it pulls everything together. With a decent but not impressive malts presence and little hops to speak of, a hardcore beer critic might not be high on this one, but props definitely go to Short's for making this one what they intended. Lime is everything it should be: lightly acidic, tart, zesty and mildly sour, coupling with a milky, lactic, slightly sugary sweetness and a nice buttery graham-cracker crust. This is what key lime pie should taste like in a beer. It does get a bit too sweet at times, but it's accurate.
Carbonation is mild, but there's some life to this one. A medium body and moderate smoothness with a mix of sweet and sour in a mildly lingering finish make for a pretty nice mouthfeel. It could use a bit more life and gets a bit heavy.
Bravo to Short's. The temptation with many brewers would be to make a beer like this way too sweet, but that's avoided to the extreme here though it does rear its head. That and the heaviness take away a little from the drinkability, but I'll have another for sure.

2.75/5  rDev -20.1%