Key Lime Pie

Reviews: 208 | Ratings: 563 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by woodychandler:
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.38/5  rDev +25.9%

When it was announced that Short's Brewing was going to be getting distro into PA, my heart went pitty-pat! I have known these guys since the early part of the century when they were coming to the BeerAdvocate fests at the Cyclorama. I have embroidered cloth patches from them & sport them proudly on my vests & jackets. We did not get everything from them, initially, but as time has passed, so has the depth and breadth of what they are sending us increased. Accordingly, I am trying to keep up with their releases.

From the bottle: "Beer brewed with marshmallow and lactose with lime and graham crackers added".

One of the limes on the label puts me in mind of Haystack Rock in Pacific City, OR! That is the home of Pelican Brewery & well worth a visit.

Once more, I was forced to Pop! the cap before anything else could occur. So be it! I followed that up with a gentle pour since I am going to the movies Short'sly & I did not need a mess to hamper my plans. A vigorous in-glass swirl generated two-plus fingers of foamy, soapy, tawny head with modest retention. Color was Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity. Nose held a mild lime tartness, but I could not identify any of the other adjuncts. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was truly up to billing! I have not eaten Key Lime Pie in years, but this mimicked it perfectly! I had to laugh at the audacity and the mastery to pull it off. The tart lime was prevalent, but the sweetness of the marshmallow (unidentifiable) and graham crackers (easily identified) was running a close second. Finish was semi-sweet/sweetart and it struck me as more of a novelty than something that I would want consistently, as opposed to Strawberry Short's Cake. It also might make for an interesting blend with some of their other far-out beers. Good on ya, lads!

Jan 29, 2017
FeDUBBELFIST from Pennsylvania

1.43/5  rDev -58.9%

Received as an extra from Jeremiah. Even though I didn't like this beer, I am EXTREMELY grateful for the opportunity to have tried it. Sampled 9/14/11. 12oz bottle to pint glass. No ABV or batch number indicated.

A: Pours with a large light brown head, fizzy and soapy in texture, and rapidly diminishing. The body is medium brownish-orange and very murky with decent-sized white flecks of adjunct floating on top. An endless supply of bubbles race ferociously to the surface. No chance of lacing.

S: The label warns: "Beer brewed with marshmallow & lactose with lime & graham crackers added." Well, most of those ingredients were evident but I've had more marshmallow-forward beers that didn't actually include them in the brewing process. Toasted cereal (think Grapenuts) and the faintest hint of chocolate. Lime-y hops. A little must. This is all very odd. I swirled the glass to bring out more aroma and kill off some of the extra effervescence - but all I effectively did was arouse more chunks of sediment.

T: Stale graham cracker, sour milk and Chinese food. I get the key lime pie flavor to a degree, but I fear it is more from the power of suggestion than anything else. Long lasting flavor (is unwanted and) leans toward the sweet side. Unexpectedly acidic. My stomach is starting to turn lol.

M: The body is light and thin with a mineral-like texture. Carbonation is way too high.

O: Gotta love Shorts - and their risky brewing endeavors! This didn't work though. Perhaps fresh on tap from the source is another story...

Despite my poor review, again, I'm very happy to have tried this beer.

Feb 11, 2012
hoptheology from South Dakota

2.37/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Pours the color of what I can only imagine burgundy and bubble gum would look like. Almost no head to speak of even at a hard center pour in a snifter. Very thin moss settles on top. 90% opacity.

Not getting much for aroma here, just some graham cracker, gingerbread, and barley. Very faint though, imagination required.

Taste...how do I describe it? It's some otherworldly dimension of awful. It's incredibly sweet, but that's the only thing that's actually keeping me from spitting it out. Clashes of spice, tomato juice, lime, sour milk, metal, and kids' bubble gum toothpaste. Just...how do you even??

Feel is cleansing and crisp, and leaves a nice semi-dryness on the palate.

While I was in Wisconsin I debated picking up a six pack of this, then I decided to put it back and purchase two singles. Well I changed my mind and grabbed one single instead. That was the smartest thing I did that day. This is just really, really cloyingly awful.

Dec 17, 2016

bezakjon from Michigan

Sep 11, 2012
98green from Michigan

3.13/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This one just isn't for me. Not sure what they were going for, but I don't get it. This one was a rare Shorts miss. I normally am on board for anything they bottle.

Jul 03, 2015

2.75/5  rDev -21%

Jul 06, 2014
emerge077 from Illinois

4.12/5  rDev +18.4%

A couple goblets tonight at the Short's party in Chicago.
Brewed w/ lime puree, graham cracker, marshmallow and milk sugar; 5.75%

Tawny orange copper color, slightly hazy, a quick fizz of foam that fades fast into a ring. The color is nice, almost suggestive of a pie crust.

Aroma was the highlight, very desserty, sweet with hints of graham cracker and crushed oreos. Possibly some lime zest under that but subdued.

Creamy oreo filling, mild cocoa, marshmallow/toffee, and graham cracker, some tangy lime zest upfront that fades into the sweet confectionary pie crust buttery breadiness. Not especially tart. A bit thin in the body, but the creaminess saves it. Had to have two, although others were not as enthusiastic about it.

Super interesting Willy Wonka style experiment, not your typical fruit beer, very ambitious and successful at recreating the nuanced elements of key lime pie. Sounds crazy but it's true!

Apr 08, 2010
BBP from Canada (ON)

2.37/5  rDev -31.9%

Pours a copper chestnut shade with no head or lacing.

The smell was a step up from the appearance. There's a sharp sweetness to it that smells of lime and perhaps even a bit minty. The cloying sweetness is a little off-putting for me.

The taste again, is overly sweet. They did indeed create a key lime pie flavor, and they did it quite well, but the sweetness of this is too much. I really don't know how to describe it well. It's key lime pie in a beer. Cloyingly sweet though, even for KLP.

The body is medium to thin. Carbonation is just right. The finish is moderately dry and slightly sticky.

Overall, this beer achieves what it sets out for. I'm wondering what kind of brew Shorts couldn't pull off. As far as drinkability goes, it's far too sweet for me to finish. If it's more bearable after warming up, I may complete it, but otherwise It'll likely be a drain-pour.

Oct 12, 2011
ninjembro from Maryland

Nov 15, 2014
Mebuzzard from Colorado

Jul 30, 2014
TheKingofWichita from North Carolina

3.93/5  rDev +12.9%

Sampled at Sexual Chocolate 2011.
Pours a very cloudy medium amber color with a somewhat thin off white head and a ton of lacing. Smells of key lime and pretty musty. Tastes of key lime pie just like at a decent restaurant. With a little crust and everything. Some light malts. Mouthfeel is medium and carbonation is light. Drinkability is okay.

Feb 02, 2011
West_Chester_Ale_Tester from Ohio

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Sep 05, 2016
TurdFurgison from Ohio

3.87/5  rDev +11.2%

I have JALE to thank for this bottle, I owe you Jim! The beer pours a dark copper color with a fine haze, with a very thin white foam that dissipated quickly. It's a little hard to describe how it smells, sort of neutral but the aromas that I can detect are somewhat sweet, maybe a little bit of lactose. There's a bready quality that I'll attribute to graham crackers, at least because the label says they were used in the making of this beer.

I thought it might be a citrusy beer due to the limes, but really this is less so than many IPAs. Until the aftertaste, which tastes a bit like lime juice (different type of citrus than I'm used to in beers). It tastes a bit bitter too, and I wish I could detect the other ingredients but I can't. It's pretty much one of a kind, and lime juice is the closest I can get to its essence.

The body is thicker than you'd expect from lime juice, probably due to the addition of graham crackers and marshmellows more than malt, at least that's what it seems like at 5.75% ABV. Definitely a unique fruit beer, glad to have tried it but I think 1 is enough for me.

Sep 12, 2010
cetherid from Indiana

3.72/5  rDev +6.9%

poured into a tulip

A.

A hazy amber color. Not much head on this beer. Just a small white ring of it.

S.

A little sour smelling. you get some faint lime and subtle graham cracker. I wasn't expecting actual graham cracker smells, even if it's brewed with it.

T.

actually just a described. Up front the lactic and sweet limes come through..then it moves on to a creamy marshmallow/meringue flavor with just a touch of sweet graham cracker. I think the graham cracker is more in the aroma than taste, but the marshmallow is pretty prevalent in the taste and not so much aroma.

M.

about medium bodied. A low carbonation in this beer...I could use some more as it would make the overall flavor better IMO.

D.

Decent for a bottle of Shorts, but I'm willing to bet this would be MUCH better on tap. Hard to get in the area so you can't find these whenever you want. I will definitely be grabbing more of these on my next MI adventures.

Feb 20, 2011
bleedblue9150 from Ohio

Aug 28, 2014
msubulldog25 from Oregon

2.89/5  rDev -17%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

A 12 oz. bottle, continuously refrigerated since a mid-fall send by hoppymeal/Derek. Poured to a pint glass. An all white cap, with what appears to be a dancing pair of legs and a hop bone hula hoop...

'Beer brewed with marshmallow and lactose with lime and graham crackers added'. Uh, yeah, seriously... that's on the label.

A: Foggy and amber, no carbonation to speak of. Tame head, a 1/2-finger, or thereabouts, of off-white dense suds. Dwindles to a gauzy veil, sticks as lace in thin jagged dabs, then virtually gone.

S: Curious aroma: definitely lots of lime/citrus nose-twitching funk with a foundation of sweet caramel malt. I'm no key lime pie aficionado, but I think this is kinda close to what it smells like. Strong enough, that's for sure.

T: I don't know that I really like the taste much (setting aside the fact that 'key lime' is one of my LEAST favorite pie types), but it's plenty fruity and dessert-like. Lots of sweet-tart lime and an underlying caramel, even cocoa powder, sweetness. Don't know that I get much of either the marshmallows or graham crackers; the 3.5 I'm giving is solely for strength of flavor and for balance... But otherwise, this is pretty gross.

M: My caveat here is that this beer has been held for 3-4 months (continuously refrigerated, mind you), but it's dullness may be due to age. Drab carbonation and thin feel, a 'fruit juice additive' consistency that adds sweetness and tartness, but no buoyancy at all.

D: OK, now's when I can let 'er rip; I hate this beer, never want to have it again. I nursed 6 ounces or so, then drain-poured the rest. If you like the pie, you *might* like this beer. If you like 'novelty' beers (and often I do) you *might* like this beer. As for me, never again. Shorts, you make some wonderful beers, sometimes experimental and crazy, but this one crossed the line. Why am I giving better than a '1'? Made it through half the bottle.

Jan 28, 2011
Vdubb86 from Illinois

2.95/5  rDev -15.2%

Served in a tumbler glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for letting me sample this so that I'd not have to get some of my own

Ok, so I'm gonna start this one off by saying that I have no idea what to expect from this beer up front, but it does scare me. The look is a hazy brown with little to no head on it. The smell is kinda of biscuit like and slightly sweet on the nose and reminds much of graham crackers. The taste is not pleasant. I get what they are trying to go for. There is the sweet malty sugar flavor, the citrus from the lime, and the biscuity/graham cracker crust. The problem is that it doesn't hit upon any of those parts well at all. I enjoy the fact that they tried, but this seems like one hell of a failure. It's ok in the mouth but it does carry over some acrid notes. The drinkability is average at best, some people can taste it and love it. Some can't and don't enjoy it. I belong in the camp of the latter.

Dec 05, 2010
bkw2206 from Michigan

Jul 23, 2014
JohnGalt1 from Idaho

3.85/5  rDev +10.6%

12oz from my SURPRISE box from Kbeals... This is the 2nd time I've enjoyed this one. Kevin also sent us a growler... but I am pretty stoked to review this one fresh off the tip of my tongue and not paper notes...

Sharing it with the wife... poured into my Old Guardian Goblet... thin white head.. pretty nice lacing though.. The brew is hazed orange amber...

Nose shows plenty of lime and "I guess graham crackers".. a bit toasty.

Flavor is lite lime puckery with some lime zest to drive hope the big player... a bit of minor perceived sweetness mid palate I think could be milk sugars.. finish has the toasty malt/graham cracker essence I was hoping for. Medium bodied with a lite/medium carbonation.

Honestly, this bottle shows the same as my notes from the growler... I am picking up on all the different "key lime pie" components, but they don't come in the same order, and that makes it a bit of a conundrum, but a good thoughtful one. I really actually like it.. but not enough to really want one of these more than every couple of months.

I am impressed as always with the pains Shorts goes through to reach the "unique bar" and this is no exception. Thanks a ton Kevin.

3.5/3.5/4/4/4