Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Key Lime Pie | Short's Brewing Company

shortsbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by jrallen34 on 02-21-2010

3.33/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.32/5  rDev -3.5%

3.32/5  rDev -3.5%

I got this beer from arvjunk. Thanks Ankur!

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - hazy copper color with a off-white head that thinned out to a ring.

S - smells like limes and graham cracker crust.

T - taste like liquid key lime pie, I guess they hit the mark on this one, just not my style.

F - medium bodied with mild carbonation.

O - not a big fan but I'm glad I got to try it.

3.31/5  rDev -3.8%

Reviewed 10/21

I had heard many good things about this beer, and although I'm not a fan of real Key Lime Pie, I felt it necessary to give it a try. The pour is a translucent medium brown color, with a thin, slightly creamy foam. You definitely get a nutty aroma right away. With a creamy, graham cracker taste up front, the beer finishes a little warm, with a slight, lasting lime taste at the end.

3.3/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a tumbler.

Thanks to dug for this bottle!

I've never really had key lime pie before, so hopefully the beer version is kind to me. It pours a cloudy tawn' topped by a short-lived bit o' dirty white foam that doesn't quite rise to half a finger. The nose comprises graham crackers, toasted marshmallow, sour lime, caramel, and a sort of light brett character. Judging from the nose, I'd say the label does not advertise falsely. The taste is very similar, though the bretty bit is toned down significantly, there's decidedly more graham cracker, and the lime comes across a little fake. Moreover, everything kinda comes in and out cacophonously, like a scene out of a Boccioni painting. The body is a medium light, with a moderate carbonation and a somewhat dry finish. Overall, this was definitely an interesting beer. Though I don't think it turned out quite as well as I'd hoped, I like the inventiveness.

3.29/5  rDev -4.4%

A:fairly cloudy amber, ultra thin offwhite head. decent color but not a whole lot else going on.
S: definitely the strong point, actually has some distinct key lime aspects going on. fairy strong key lime odor, with the creamy pie filling. this is the one category that remained the same from the first time i tried this beer. it really makes me think of sticking my
nose is a slice o pie. its got a certain mustiness that im not sure is a good or bad thing, but im ok with it nonetheless.
T: a heavier version of key lime pie. the flavors really sit on your tongue. it lets up quite a bit from the smell. key lime, the crust actually does come through even if just a little bit, a little rough around the edges.
M: halfway into it, it turns into a viscous, but watery feeling, if that makes any sense. its lacking in much carbonation, which i feel may have lifted some of the current mouthfeel im getting now, if it had been increased. its left feeling kind of sticky, and unattractive.
D: not much to speak of. i remember the first time i had this, i split it with 2 other people, and rather enjoyed it. this time Around, its tough to make it all the way through.

3.28/5  rDev -4.7%

This was given to me in a trade with kzoobrew. Definitely a novelty beer through and through.

A: Looked pretty good it didn't have much head retention but it did look a nice shade or dark amber.

S: Smelled very tart and sour... I didn't catch much smell of lime but it did have a hit of the graham cracker smell to it.

T: Wasn't sure if it was just that sour or if it was infected... I don't know who I feel about it in general. I enjoyed it but at the same time didn't get that Key Lime Pie taste I was hoping for.

M: Very sour and tart in mouth feel, made me back off a little as I got about half way through.

D: It is drinkable and I could easily drink another one. I enjoyed it enough to finish it but I was disappointed cause I was really looking forward to trying this. Over all though definitely worth a try and I'd like to get one fresh off the counter.

3.27/5  rDev -4.9%

12oz bottle into tulip - i cant remember who sent this to me, but thanks!

Pours a murky deep brownish color with some lighted hues attempting to peek through. Small tanned head fades out with little retention or lacing.

Decent flair of lime in the nose with zest and slight tartness. Sweeter tones with burnt sugar and citrus. There's also a metallic touch which typically signals another off bottle from Short's, but this wasn't too bad.

Whoa - lots of lime right up front. Juicy and zesty with some tart undertones. Sweetness peeks through with burnt sugar and some faint notes of pie crust. I can taste what they're going for here, but it didn't quite come through as well as it has in other bottles I've sampled. There's definitely a bit too much tartness and a touch of off-flavoring. Finishes a bit tart with more lime.

Medium body, medium carbonation, lingering and a bit puckering at times on the tongue. I'm a huge fan of key lime pie and I've had better bottles, but this particular one was definitely a bit off...

3.26/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

Standard pour resulted in a single finger bubbly head, chunky, hazy amber in color.

Wild nose on this one, and I don't mean wild yeast, just crazy. Sugar and spice and citrus lemon lime. Hard to describe.

Lots of sweet and sour up front with lemon lime taste, some caramel and a little bread. Pretty odd.

Medium body, light carbonation.

Just a fun and pretty funny beer, but I couldn't drink more than one of them.

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

Thanks to MustardKrautFan (RIP) for this beer. Consumed on a dark and stormy day--the perfect weather for beer that is supposed to taste like food.

A: The pour is a light amber color with almost no head. There's a bit of an opaqueness to the beer.

S: The nose is a bit confusing. On the one hand, that could be lactobacillus there, but it could also be the limes providing that tart fruitiness. There's a bit of a funkiness which leads me to believe there's some bugs. A very mild sweetness to the beer at times.

T: Lime zest really stands out on the palate as I take the first few sips. Again, a slight tinge of lactobacillus, but it could just be the funky nature of this Short's beer. A mild graham cracker sweetness and hints of sugar to go along with the tartness.

M: The body is medium but the carbonation is on the low side.

D: Hmmm, I'm still scratching my head on this one. There were some things I liked about it, but things I didn't. A bit like limeade, truth be told, with a bit more sweetness.

Key Lime Pie from Short's Brewing Company