Key Lime Pie | Short's Brewing Company

Added by jrallen34 on 02-21-2010

3.4

Reviews: 206 | Ratings: 557
4.38/5  rDev +28.8%

When it was announced that Short's Brewing was going to be getting distro into PA, my heart went pitty-pat! I have known these guys since the early part of the century when they were coming to the BeerAdvocate fests at the Cyclorama. I have embroidered cloth patches from them & sport them proudly on my vests & jackets. We did not get everything from them, initially, but as time has passed, so has the depth and breadth of what they are sending us increased. Accordingly, I am trying to keep up with their releases.

From the bottle: "Beer brewed with marshmallow and lactose with lime and graham crackers added".

One of the limes on the label puts me in mind of Haystack Rock in Pacific City, OR! That is the home of Pelican Brewery & well worth a visit.

Once more, I was forced to Pop! the cap before anything else could occur. So be it! I followed that up with a gentle pour since I am going to the movies Short'sly & I did not need a mess to hamper my plans. A vigorous in-glass swirl generated two-plus fingers of foamy, soapy, tawny head with modest retention. Color was Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity. Nose held a mild lime tartness, but I could not identify any of the other adjuncts. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was truly up to billing! I have not eaten Key Lime Pie in years, but this mimicked it perfectly! I had to laugh at the audacity and the mastery to pull it off. The tart lime was prevalent, but the sweetness of the marshmallow (unidentifiable) and graham crackers (easily identified) was running a close second. Finish was semi-sweet/sweetart and it struck me as more of a novelty than something that I would want consistently, as opposed to Strawberry Short's Cake. It also might make for an interesting blend with some of their other far-out beers. Good on ya, lads!

3.36/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a beige/orange color with very little head. Smell is of graham crackers, some lime. Taste is lime, malts, both tart and slightly sweet, light graham crackers. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is an ok beer, added points for uniqueness.

1.84/5  rDev -45.9%

Body is dark copper topped with an oddly chunky, tan foam head--it looks like little balls of bottom-of-the-bag Honeycomb cereal crumbs are speckled throughout the foam. The head fizzles out instantaneously to absolutely nothing, looking like apple cider with those Honeycomb crumbs floating on the surface like ugly yellow pimple-buoys.

Smell is bready, sticky Aunt Jemima and honey, just barely. To be honest, there's actually barely any aroma at all.

Taste, funnily enough, is Honeycomb cereal milk. I swear this is not some kind of subconscious association from the appearance. I also get a little caramel. It becomes sticky dry and very sweet, practically causing pains in my temples like an incoming sugar crash headache. I get no graham. I get no lime. Just stale honey and cardboard--again, overly sweet barleywine-esque booziness without the booze or the complexity of a good barleywine.

Feel is slick, sticky, thin and weirdly dry.

2.49/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Pours the color of what I can only imagine burgundy and bubble gum would look like. Almost no head to speak of even at a hard center pour in a snifter. Very thin moss settles on top. 90% opacity.

Not getting much for aroma here, just some graham cracker, gingerbread, and barley. Very faint though, imagination required.

Taste...how do I describe it? It's some otherworldly dimension of awful. It's incredibly sweet, but that's the only thing that's actually keeping me from spitting it out. Clashes of spice, tomato juice, lime, sour milk, metal, and kids' bubble gum toothpaste. Just...how do you even??

Feel is cleansing and crisp, and leaves a nice semi-dryness on the palate.

While I was in Wisconsin I debated picking up a six pack of this, then I decided to put it back and purchase two singles. Well I changed my mind and grabbed one single instead. That was the smartest thing I did that day. This is just really, really cloyingly awful.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I tried this from the bottle chilled in a willybecker.
The color is scarlet with translucent clarity and a head appears and disappears in a brief moment with a floating particle (marshmallow)left floating. The smell is lightly fruity with a lime scent. The feel is moderately tangy with a mostly dry texture with moderately low carbonation and slight alcohol with moderate acidity in the feel with mild bitterness.

The taste is pretty decent after you get past the lackluster appearance aroma and mouthfeel. The taste has a pleasant citrus flavor of lime up front with mild malt with slight toasted accent and gentle hop flavor with a mild woody quality but the graham cracker and marshmallow is not really represented -except for the floater that I tasted. I would say this is a good beer if you try it blind, but could use some tweaking ...the lime flavor is good and I would say it is worth a try.

3.96/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Short's Brewing Company "Key Lime Pie"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, coded "08/01/16" and sampled on 10/07/16

Continuing my explorations into Short's Brews we have "Key Lime Pie", notably made with marshmallow, lime, and graham crackers.

The appearance is a little unusual, delivering a hazy deep-amber/copper body with foggy orange and gold highlights beneath a short head of white that drops almost immediately - and with a chunk of something floating around on top. At first I thought "This couldn't have come from the bottle, how could it get through the filler?", and yet there it is. Then I thought it must have been me, but I'd just rinsed the glass prior, and although my eyesight might be headed in a downward direction, I could not have missed such a chunk. I can live without the clarity, not a problem, and I don't mind the chunk, but the lack of head retention and presence of any lacing bothers me.

In the nose it's caramelish and sugary with a hint of spice that I'm guessing is cinnamon given that it's made with graham crackers, and I'm guessing that's the source of my floater as well.

In the mouth it's full-bodied with a definite dextrinous side, but also gently zesty via a moderate, fine-bubbled carbonation and the acidity from the lime.

The flavor is much more impressive than either the appearance or aroma, and the lime comes through clearly with an edge of tartness that balances the sweetness and caramel maltiness. I'm finding a little bit of the graham cracker, and even some vanilla from the marshmallow - wow! Surprisingly, it finishes dry rather than sweet with residual lime and some very minor caramel lingering. For what it is, it's pretty impeccably balanced. This may be the best dessert beer I've ever tried.

My one question is why add processed foods to your beer when you could probably achieve the same result by using the ingredients that go into those foods? I can't imagine it's cheaper, but maybe it's easier - or maybe people just think it's cool, that's probably it. In the end it really doesn't matter, it's an interesting and flavorful beer, and although it might not have drinkability in terms of having one after another, the potential is there.

I accidentally ate the chunk. It was bready, so I assume it was from the graham crackers. Weird though. I think the beer could do without that little oddity.

3.22/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Looks a lot darker with its translucent and dark orangey or burnt sienna color, then what I imagined it would look like before I poured it, as the suggestion of lime made me think of something much lighter. Virtually no head to speak of, in fact, not even any meaningful fizz remained around the edges a few minutes after the pour.

The nose does impart some lime to be certain, but also has biscuity qualities as well as a touch of corny sweetness.

Tastes immediately tart with a definite lime kick that fades off moments before a full dose of crackery maltiness creeps in for a moment , leaving behind a bitterness that can't really explain and the now realized, artificial-ness of the lime as an aftertaste.

I can appreciate the effort, but it's not "up there" on my list of things I like and would have again.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

12oz bottle. Served in a snifter glass.

Pours a medium golden-brown body, one finger white head, fair retention, no lacing. There seemed to be several small particles floating in my glass as well; seemed to be either yeast clumps or graham crackers- really not sure. Smell is of graham cracker, lactose, distinct lime and a moderate caramel sweetness. It isn't really what I expected a key lime pie beer to smell like, and the sweetness is a little overwhelming. Still, seems appropriate for a dessert beer. Flavour is similar to the nose; sweet caramel, lactose, graham cracker, moderate lime presence that isn't domineering. Again, doesn't taste like key lime pie, but it does go down that road even if it doesn't nail it. Mouthfeel is lighter bodied despite its syrupy sweetness, a bit tough to drink an entire 12oz bottle on my own. I love key lime pie and this is a good attempt at making a beer in its vein, but it doesn't quite get there.

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on 8/1/16. 12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a hazy copper with a small light khaki head that fades very quickly leaving almost no retention and no lacing. There's also pieces of graham cracker in the mix, which is a first for me. The aromas are subtle with some hints of lime and caramel. Subtle hints of vanilla as well. Malts do their thing. The flavors are sweet and slightly tart without being overwhelming or over the top. The lime is present. The graham cracker and marshmallow flavors seem to go unnoticed. Finishes sweet, but isn't cloying. Alcohol goes unnoticed. Mouthfeel is light and thin with moderate carbonation. It's ultimately smooth.

This isn't bad at all, I just personally wish the marshmallow and graham cracker shined a bit more. It becomes more enjoyable the more you drink. It's clean and refreshing. Not bad.

3.96/5  rDev +16.5%

I'm not a huge fan of fruit and vegetable beers so I've passed on this in the past. Just went to a shorts tasting event and decided to give a try. This was better than I expected. Had a very weird green color (obviously the lime). Not much for smell but overall tasted breezy good. Kind of tart yet sweet at the same time. Glad I tried this and might actually pick up a six pack. Very interesting beer.

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a mostly clear orange/amber, with a small, quickly dissipating head on a hard pour, and no lacing. Not very much of an aroma. A little yeasty, a little citrus, some lactose and marshmallow. The taste is malt, a citrus flavor that is more definable as lime as it warms, lactose, some marshmallow, a light earthiness. Mostly smooth, fairly refreshing, lighter bodied, could use a touch more carbonation.

This is ok, it's a fun beer to try. It does keep it's flavor all the way through the bottle, which is a plus.

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

12 ounce bottle, dated 07/29/16

Bottle into Short's goblet with murky brown color and short-lived, off-white head. Quite a few floaties that look like small Rice Krispies and absolutely no lacing. Rather ugly looking beer.

Aroma is rather faint with notes of biscuits, lactose, graham crackers, and brown sugar.

Taste matches up with the nose. Very sweet and pie-crust like throughout and a tingle of tart lime at the finish.

Mouthfeel is sticky sweet with very little carbonation.

Swing and a miss from Short's here. Key Lime Pie doesn't work for me in the way that Strawberry Short's Cake did. The lime just doesn't show up enough, leaving behind a sticky sweet mess.

3.86/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Can't believe I haven't reviewed this one, it's been years. Usually I pick this one up in bottles, this year I was able to pick up a growler from the pub.
Aggressive pour into pint glass years an active, fizzy off white head of several fingers that's up and then down to nothing. No lacing, as if it never happened. Color is a golden brown and quite clear. Aroma is sweet cream and tart lime, with undertones of freshly crumbled graham cracker. Taste is tart, with some milky smoothness and a dry, dry finish.
I've found this one to be a love it or hate it among the people I know. Thankfully, I love it so more for me.

3.13/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This one just isn't for me. Not sure what they were going for, but I don't get it. This one was a rare Shorts miss. I normally am on board for anything they bottle.

3.72/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

my girlfriend loved this thing, and it just won a medal, so good for it, some people must love it. for me, its a little less impressive, and certainly less like its dessert namesake than the carrot cake. watery look without much head, and the feel is the same, under carbonated and a bit thin, but i really do like the nose and taste. it smells mouth watering, puckery and zesty, fresh lime, authentic. the crust is there in the taste too with the lime creaminess. its graham crackers, honey and grain and its a great balance to the lime, i dont know why people dont dig this one, i think its clever. i also like the artwork. more body would help this, its light but not light and airy like the pie, thats the part i like the least. cool use of limes though, and good execution of the vision in my opinion.

3.11/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

We crack a pair, pouring into our Great Lakes pint glasses. It shows a dusky orange-brown sunset coloring, holding a one finger head of taffy colored foam. This retains decently, settling into a tight film and a web of organic lacing around the glasses. No haze or sediment is noted, and carbonation appears to be active. The nose gives ruddy pale, amber, and caramel malts, Graham cracker sweetness, adjuncty white corn and wheaty metallics, booze of alcohol, black pepper spice, sugary Whipped Cream sweetness, black wood lacquer, and aluminum. Following through with the flavoring is a blend of cloying sugars of brandy, oak, Graham crackers, plastic foam, metallics, and distant mallow, with notes of tin and aluminum, pumpkin spice, citric lime, raw clover honey, paper towels, buttery diacetyls, gravel, and soured muddy pale grain to round out the taste. The body is medium and thickly syrupy, and the carbonation is mild to moderate. Each sip gives weak slurp and smack, poor cream and froth, and little to think about with a finishing pop. The mouth is left baked, but otherwise benign. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks back okay.

Overall, this is a nice beer if you’re looking for a solid representation of buttery Graham cracker crust. You get butters, dust, cloy, synthetic lime, mineral, glass, and white sugar. It just doesn’t quite come together. There is no real proposal of anything authentic and real, but the flavoring is savory and present. You aren’t really expecting anything much better, but it is still disappointing. The flavoring is fake and washing, but again, it is difficult to condemn someone trying to execute something intriguing and exciting.

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance: a deep earthy orange. forms a small whitish head that fades pretty quickly but leaves a ring around the top of the beer. Completely hazy and opaque. Medium amount of sediment floating around in there. 3.75/5

Smell: ehh not so appealing. I get super strong candy sugar sweetness that mixes awkwardly with a hint of key lime. a bit of graham cracker falls in behind. 2.75/5

Taste: opens with a nice taste of key lime, a large wave of sweetness comes in, fairly creamy and pretty rich. backend has notes of slightly stale graham crackers. Luckily rather than clashing as in the smell, the flavors blend fairly nicely. 4/5

Mouthfeel: thick, almost syrupy. feels strong than 5.75% but it kinda works for the beer. 3.75/5

Overall: an odd one for sure, but I think it worked well, not quite like as good as the other shorts weird ones but not bad.

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a dark orange with a two-finger white head. The dissapates quickly leaving light sticky lacing.

S - Aromas of key lime, bready malt, and graham cracker.

T - The flavor opens up with bitter key lime. Key lime fades into toasted graham crackers, marshmallow, and lots of malt. Flavors come together more when the beer warms.

M - Medium bodied with low carbonation. Syrupy mouthfeel.

O - This was interesting to say the least. Worth trying, but not my favorite Short's beer.

2.93/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

12 0z bottle poured into pint glass

A- dark rusty orange, little visibility, foamy thick head with good retention and nice lacing

S- malt, citrus, spices, bread

T- tons of sweetness candied sugar, malts, vanilla, and graham cracker, lime, and a little hops on the end

M-thick and syrupy with little carbonation feels heavy and flat

O- I love key lime pie but was not a huge fan of this. Way to sweet and malty for my taste and did not like the mouthfeel. Points for originality and uniqueness though!

1.57/5  rDev -53.8%

Poured into a snifter on 7/31/14

06/18/2014 stamped on the bottle

Much too rusty an orange color for something with "lime" in the name, I can see MbpBugeye's (RIP) concern that the beer is too dark even as I pour the beer. A flash of bubbles begins to form immediately which I find promising, if only for a brief time. Mere moments later the head is gone leaving patches of suds that look like mold spots.

I find the aroma has a rotten fruit disposition amid perfume and aerosol abrasiveness. Hints of fusel sweetness against a cream-scented backdrop. Any impressiveness found in the easily appreciable graham cracker aroma is rudely undone by and overarching watery characteristic. As the beer warms is exhibits yeast, mildew, and suggestions of minerals and salt.

As I take the first sip, and before allowing the beer to be perceived by taste, I notice a peculiar sensation with the liquid itself. The beer is medium bodied, sluggish and wont to easy reception; perhaps not mutually exclusive descriptions but certainly unlikely to find all at once. The carbonation is low, too low to compensate for what would better be described as a dirge-like, depressed mouthfeel. Truly awful.

The feel is disappointing so much as to render forgettable the first taste of this beer. I remember it being bad but have no immediate recollection of it. I must have been in self-preservation mode; subsequent sips reveal a flavor profile more dire than that of the nose. Salinity is intrusive, downplaying the graham cracker sweetness. Lime flavors are murky at best, having just the faintest tartness trickle around the middle. The ABV does not seem particularly high but there is an oily slickness that blurs the flavors into an jumbled mess.

In closing I offer a quote regarding Short's Key Lime Pie. I'll say it so he doesn't have to:

"There's too much beer there for a beer that isn't supposed to taste like a beer."
-MbpBugeye

3.88/5  rDev +14.1%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 6/18/2014. Pours slightly hazy orange amber color with a 1 finger fairly dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Slight spotty lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of tart lime, biscuit, graham cracker, toast, vanilla, cream, light caramel, and herbal earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of bready malt, lime, lactose, and other adjunct notes with light hop presence; and solid strength. Taste of lightly tart lime, biscuit, graham cracker, toast, vanilla, cream, light caramel, and herbal earthiness. Light tartness and minimal earthy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of lime, biscuit, graham cracker, toast, vanilla, cream, light caramel, and herbal earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice robustness and complexity of bready malt, tart limes, lactose, and other adjunct flavors; with a great malt/adjunct balance and zero cloying sweetness after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth and slightly slick/bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice experimental fruit beer. All around well balanced and nicely robust bready malt, lime, lactose, and other adjunct flavors; and very smooth to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

3.46/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - pours a orange / amber with a finger of off white head. Nice spotty lace after each drink.

S - malts, cookies, vanilla, faint fruity lime.

T - Malt forward, graham crackers, cake batter, lime comes through in the back end. Flavors don't come together.

O - Shorts never disappoints for creativity, but this one falls short of the mark. Drinks more like a malt bomb than a fruity brew. I wish it had more lime and less malts.

3.44/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Burnt amber with red hues. No head or lacing on this beer.

Smell - very sweet up front, perhaps from the marshmallow. lots of tropical fruit as well.

Taste - wow is this all over the place and I am not sure how much I like it. sweet and tropical, but then a burnt flavor to follow that is interesting.

Mouthfeel - that burnt flavor is interesting and stays in your mouth

Overall - they tried something new and it was fun to try.

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 6/18/14. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint 6/29/14. $2.49 single. I've been wanting this since I first heard about it a few years ago, despite its underwhelming scores.

Appearance: Aggressive pour gives off a pop-like head that goes away quickly. The beer is a hazy dark amber color. No lacing.

Smell: Mostly unlike key lime pie. Smells more like the graham cracker crust. Lactose-y sort of milk aroma. Maybe a hint of sweetness probably from the limes, but it's not super pungent.

Taste/feel: That's a bit more like I was expecting. Sharp lime acidity at the start with a good lime flavor, but then a heavy biscuity sort of malt character at the end with sweetness to cut the lime a bit. The lime acidity is more prominent than an actual lime flavor. The graham cracker flavor helps give that sweetness and biscuity character on the finish to mellow out that almost lip puckering lime. I don't really get a creamy sort of quality that I associate with key lime pie, which is disappointing, and I'd never guess this beer was brewed with marshmallows. The feel is middle of the road with a moderate body and carbonation. Works pretty well.

Short's should consider an "imperial" version of this beer to see what happens. Make it a thicker, higher ABV beer, and get some more of a creamy quality into the beer. The graham cracker and lime tartness are perfect, but the full lime flavor and creamy sort of flavor isn't there like I'd want it to be.

Overall, it's a beer I'm absolutely glad to have FINALLY found and tried, but as a whole, the beer doesn't completely come together. Regardless of that, it's still a tasty, interesting beer that'll no doubt get people talking if they see you drinking it. By comparison, it's similar to Short's Cake with lime in place of strawberries, but I think I may like this one a liiittle bit more.

2.82/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A strange beer to be sure. I went out of my way to find me one of these. You know what they say - be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
It pours a relatively normal beer - medium amber, no head.
The nose is key lime pie all right. Lime citrus is unmistakable. The graham cracker I was promised and the marshmallow were not detectible in the nose or the taste.
The taste was reminiscent of krieks with the up-front tartness. Like the nose, the key lime flavor was obvious and in your face. Too much so.
I love being a beer drinker in the current age; so much experimentation going on, and I'd like to get a sample of just about all of it. The bolder the experiments, however, the more likely to miss. I applaud the attempt. Keep trying Shorts! I'll keep coming back for more.
I did grow accustomed to it, and was able to finish it.

Key Lime Pie from Short's Brewing Company