Key Lime Pie | Short's Brewing Company

Liked:
3.44/5
Alströms:

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.42/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours copper. Short, foamy, off white head that lasts shortly.

Smells Graham cracker, sweet lactose and very light lime.

Tastes light tart lime at start and sweet malty and lactose. Almost syrupy. Finish is semi sweet with a limey and malty linger. Medium body and fizzy medium carbonation.

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.69/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.37/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.3/5  rDev +25%

4.38/5  rDev +27.3%

When it was announced that Short's Brewing was going to be getting distro into PA, my heart went pitty-pat! I have known these guys since the early part of the century when they were coming to the BeerAdvocate fests at the Cyclorama. I have embroidered cloth patches from them & sport them proudly on my vests & jackets. We did not get everything from them, initially, but as time has passed, so has the depth and breadth of what they are sending us increased. Accordingly, I am trying to keep up with their releases.

From the bottle: "Beer brewed with marshmallow and lactose with lime and graham crackers added".

One of the limes on the label puts me in mind of Haystack Rock in Pacific City, OR! That is the home of Pelican Brewery & well worth a visit.

Once more, I was forced to Pop! the cap before anything else could occur. So be it! I followed that up with a gentle pour since I am going to the movies Short'sly & I did not need a mess to hamper my plans. A vigorous in-glass swirl generated two-plus fingers of foamy, soapy, tawny head with modest retention. Color was Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity. Nose held a mild lime tartness, but I could not identify any of the other adjuncts. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was truly up to billing! I have not eaten Key Lime Pie in years, but this mimicked it perfectly! I had to laugh at the audacity and the mastery to pull it off. The tart lime was prevalent, but the sweetness of the marshmallow (unidentifiable) and graham crackers (easily identified) was running a close second. Finish was semi-sweet/sweetart and it struck me as more of a novelty than something that I would want consistently, as opposed to Strawberry Short's Cake. It also might make for an interesting blend with some of their other far-out beers. Good on ya, lads!

3.36/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a beige/orange color with very little head. Smell is of graham crackers, some lime. Taste is lime, malts, both tart and slightly sweet, light graham crackers. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is an ok beer, added points for uniqueness.

1.84/5  rDev -46.5%

Body is dark copper topped with an oddly chunky, tan foam head--it looks like little balls of bottom-of-the-bag Honeycomb cereal crumbs are speckled throughout the foam. The head fizzles out instantaneously to absolutely nothing, looking like apple cider with those Honeycomb crumbs floating on the surface like ugly yellow pimple-buoys.

Smell is bready, sticky Aunt Jemima and honey, just barely. To be honest, there's actually barely any aroma at all.

Taste, funnily enough, is Honeycomb cereal milk. I swear this is not some kind of subconscious association from the appearance. I also get a little caramel. It becomes sticky dry and very sweet, practically causing pains in my temples like an incoming sugar crash headache. I get no graham. I get no lime. Just stale honey and cardboard--again, overly sweet barleywine-esque booziness without the booze or the complexity of a good barleywine.

Feel is slick, sticky, thin and weirdly dry.

2.37/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Pours the color of what I can only imagine burgundy and bubble gum would look like. Almost no head to speak of even at a hard center pour in a snifter. Very thin moss settles on top. 90% opacity.

Not getting much for aroma here, just some graham cracker, gingerbread, and barley. Very faint though, imagination required.

Taste...how do I describe it? It's some otherworldly dimension of awful. It's incredibly sweet, but that's the only thing that's actually keeping me from spitting it out. Clashes of spice, tomato juice, lime, sour milk, metal, and kids' bubble gum toothpaste. Just...how do you even??

Feel is cleansing and crisp, and leaves a nice semi-dryness on the palate.

While I was in Wisconsin I debated picking up a six pack of this, then I decided to put it back and purchase two singles. Well I changed my mind and grabbed one single instead. That was the smartest thing I did that day. This is just really, really cloyingly awful.

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I tried this from the bottle chilled in a willybecker.
The color is scarlet with translucent clarity and a head appears and disappears in a brief moment with a floating particle (marshmallow)left floating. The smell is lightly fruity with a lime scent. The feel is moderately tangy with a mostly dry texture with moderately low carbonation and slight alcohol with moderate acidity in the feel with mild bitterness.

The taste is pretty decent after you get past the lackluster appearance aroma and mouthfeel. The taste has a pleasant citrus flavor of lime up front with mild malt with slight toasted accent and gentle hop flavor with a mild woody quality but the graham cracker and marshmallow is not really represented -except for the floater that I tasted. I would say this is a good beer if you try it blind, but could use some tweaking ...the lime flavor is good and I would say it is worth a try.

3.46/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.31/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.19/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.26/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.96/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Short's Brewing Company "Key Lime Pie"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, coded "08/01/16" and sampled on 10/07/16

Continuing my explorations into Short's Brews we have "Key Lime Pie", notably made with marshmallow, lime, and graham crackers.

The appearance is a little unusual, delivering a hazy deep-amber/copper body with foggy orange and gold highlights beneath a short head of white that drops almost immediately - and with a chunk of something floating around on top. At first I thought "This couldn't have come from the bottle, how could it get through the filler?", and yet there it is. Then I thought it must have been me, but I'd just rinsed the glass prior, and although my eyesight might be headed in a downward direction, I could not have missed such a chunk. I can live without the clarity, not a problem, and I don't mind the chunk, but the lack of head retention and presence of any lacing bothers me.

In the nose it's caramelish and sugary with a hint of spice that I'm guessing is cinnamon given that it's made with graham crackers, and I'm guessing that's the source of my floater as well.

In the mouth it's full-bodied with a definite dextrinous side, but also gently zesty via a moderate, fine-bubbled carbonation and the acidity from the lime.

The flavor is much more impressive than either the appearance or aroma, and the lime comes through clearly with an edge of tartness that balances the sweetness and caramel maltiness. I'm finding a little bit of the graham cracker, and even some vanilla from the marshmallow - wow! Surprisingly, it finishes dry rather than sweet with residual lime and some very minor caramel lingering. For what it is, it's pretty impeccably balanced. This may be the best dessert beer I've ever tried.

My one question is why add processed foods to your beer when you could probably achieve the same result by using the ingredients that go into those foods? I can't imagine it's cheaper, but maybe it's easier - or maybe people just think it's cool, that's probably it. In the end it really doesn't matter, it's an interesting and flavorful beer, and although it might not have drinkability in terms of having one after another, the potential is there.

I accidentally ate the chunk. It was bready, so I assume it was from the graham crackers. Weird though. I think the beer could do without that little oddity.

2.9/5  rDev -15.7%

2.55/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.69/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2.8/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

3.49/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.41/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.85/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.38/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Key Lime Pie from Short's Brewing Company