Key Lime Pie | Short's Brewing Company

Added by jrallen34 on 02-21-2010

3.4

Reviews: 206 | Ratings: 557
3.74/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Spruce aroma. Decent mouthfeel. Carbnation is there. Lime and spice, spruce and sugar in the taste.Marshmellow. Bottle from Steve in Warren. Somewhat green colour.A bottle proved to be too much to solo.Would like more real lime and less sweetness, bring it on.

3.19/5  rDev -6.2%

Thanks to kzoobrew for sending me this one!

Pours a murky orange with a huge 3 inch extremely bubbly head that boils down to random spots of film. Random tiny bubbles of lace dot the glass on the drink down. The look of this beer is pretty dirty. Smell is of malt, peanuts, and sharp citrus aromas (but not really lime per se). The peanut aroma reminds me of the Uber Goober and PB&J beers. The taste is interesting with malt and subdued peanut flavors. The citrus is more apparent on the aftertaste where it lingers on the back of the tongue. This is also when a slight graham cracker taste settles in. The citrus creates a slightly sour and acidic mouthfeel with a pretty good level of carbonation. Overall, this is an odd beer that sounds like it would be great but comes out being just OK really. I am glad I got to try it but I wouldn't trade for this one again.

3.72/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

my girlfriend loved this thing, and it just won a medal, so good for it, some people must love it. for me, its a little less impressive, and certainly less like its dessert namesake than the carrot cake. watery look without much head, and the feel is the same, under carbonated and a bit thin, but i really do like the nose and taste. it smells mouth watering, puckery and zesty, fresh lime, authentic. the crust is there in the taste too with the lime creaminess. its graham crackers, honey and grain and its a great balance to the lime, i dont know why people dont dig this one, i think its clever. i also like the artwork. more body would help this, its light but not light and airy like the pie, thats the part i like the least. cool use of limes though, and good execution of the vision in my opinion.

3.79/5  rDev +11.5%

Thanks to grinnellj for sending me this one. This brew poured out as a copper/orange color with a fizzy white head on top. There are also some floating chunks on top of the beer also. The head fades and doesn't leave much lacing behind either. The smell of the beer is definitely Lime, major Lime aromas spewing out of this beer. The taste is a combination of tart lime, with some additional sweetness in there and finishing with the graham cracker. The mouthfeel is smooth, creamy and gently carbonated. Overall this is a pretty interesting brew, I can't say I would drink this again but I am pretty glad I got to try it.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

A: The beer is clear orangey amber in color and has no signs of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are aromas of malty sweetness in the nose along with some notes of lime.
T: The taste has a light to moderate amount of sweetness and notes of limes in the flavors.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and somewhat smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer isn’t that difficult to drink because it’s not that sweet and the lime flavors are subdued.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: The liquid looks just like apricot nectar and it doesn't take long for the inch or so of head to fritter away, leaving just a few strands behind

Smell: The key lime pie ingredients are all there, key lime cream filling and graham cracker crust; not that it all smells that great on a beer, however

Taste: Tastes just as it smells, with tart key lime flavors mingling with the graham cracker and lactose elements; after the swallow, the tartness moves into a sour direction

Mouthfeel: Medium body with prickly carbonation

Overall: Glad I tried this novelty but I am unlikely to seek it out again; kudos to the brewer for dreaming up this recipe

Thanks, FlandersNed, for the opportunity

4.12/5  rDev +21.2%

A couple goblets tonight at the Short's party in Chicago.
Brewed w/ lime puree, graham cracker, marshmallow and milk sugar; 5.75%

Tawny orange copper color, slightly hazy, a quick fizz of foam that fades fast into a ring. The color is nice, almost suggestive of a pie crust.

Aroma was the highlight, very desserty, sweet with hints of graham cracker and crushed oreos. Possibly some lime zest under that but subdued.

Creamy oreo filling, mild cocoa, marshmallow/toffee, and graham cracker, some tangy lime zest upfront that fades into the sweet confectionary pie crust buttery breadiness. Not especially tart. A bit thin in the body, but the creaminess saves it. Had to have two, although others were not as enthusiastic about it.

Super interesting Willy Wonka style experiment, not your typical fruit beer, very ambitious and successful at recreating the nuanced elements of key lime pie. Sounds crazy but it's true!

4.37/5  rDev +28.5%

Thanks to dabecassis for sharing the growler.

Moderately hazy brownish-amber with a solid white cap. Rich graham cracker pie crust aroma with a squeeze of key lime. Smells amazingly like key lime pie, dessert-like but not excessively sweet. I'm amazed at how well they captured the buttery graham cracker crust aroma. It tastes exactly as it smells: Graham cracker pie crust with tart citrusy lime. Nice malty graham cracker pie crust sweetness up front with only the slightest hint of bitterness behind it. There's also a mellow toasted malt background and ample tart lime flavor. This was a surprisingly great beer, completely unique and actually fairly drinkable, though probably not something I would reach for often.

2.79/5  rDev -17.9%

I had this on-tap at the brewpub. Poured into a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber color with very little off white head that disappears completely. Not very attractive.

Smell: Very mild, not what I was hoping for. Sweet and mild citrus hints, a bit creamy.

Taste: Really sweet, too sweet in fact. Citrus fruitiness and a creaminess as well. I think there needed to be more lime flavor to balance out the sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thick body with smooth, tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I wish there was more lime here. If you're going to do a beer like this, I think it's best to go big. I think I remember having this at the Extreme Beer Festival, and it reminded me a lot more of the pie. Don't think I'll have this one again.

3.13/5  rDev -7.9%

Thanks to my parents for picking up a sized in Michigan.

Pots a lgt orange copper color. Definitely different than what I thought, though I doubt even Short's would be making green beer. Nose brigs for a bit of sourness; doesn't seem citric though. That's about it. Quite generic. Taste brings a bit more with somewhat of a lime characteristic and some malty sweetness. Feel is a bit light with low carbonation. Drinks fairly well, although a few ounces is plenty.

3.52/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into unibroue snifter.

Pours 1/4 finger of off-white head. Color is a burnt orange.

Aroma: Tons of limes here and a big amount of marshmallow. Gram-crackers are light. It is pretty much just like the label says.

Taste: Weird, it really tastes like pie. Lactose and cream flavors. Limes, marshmallows, and gram-crackers. Again, tastes just like the label describes it.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy. Lighter bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends clean with lime flavors.

Overall, another interesting beer from shorts. It is just like the name says it is which is pretty cool. Somewhat drinkable, but ever so interesting.

3.88/5  rDev +14.1%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 6/18/2014. Pours slightly hazy orange amber color with a 1 finger fairly dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Slight spotty lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of tart lime, biscuit, graham cracker, toast, vanilla, cream, light caramel, and herbal earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of bready malt, lime, lactose, and other adjunct notes with light hop presence; and solid strength. Taste of lightly tart lime, biscuit, graham cracker, toast, vanilla, cream, light caramel, and herbal earthiness. Light tartness and minimal earthy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of lime, biscuit, graham cracker, toast, vanilla, cream, light caramel, and herbal earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice robustness and complexity of bready malt, tart limes, lactose, and other adjunct flavors; with a great malt/adjunct balance and zero cloying sweetness after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth and slightly slick/bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice experimental fruit beer. All around well balanced and nicely robust bready malt, lime, lactose, and other adjunct flavors; and very smooth to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

3.96/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Short's Brewing Company "Key Lime Pie"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, coded "08/01/16" and sampled on 10/07/16

Continuing my explorations into Short's Brews we have "Key Lime Pie", notably made with marshmallow, lime, and graham crackers.

The appearance is a little unusual, delivering a hazy deep-amber/copper body with foggy orange and gold highlights beneath a short head of white that drops almost immediately - and with a chunk of something floating around on top. At first I thought "This couldn't have come from the bottle, how could it get through the filler?", and yet there it is. Then I thought it must have been me, but I'd just rinsed the glass prior, and although my eyesight might be headed in a downward direction, I could not have missed such a chunk. I can live without the clarity, not a problem, and I don't mind the chunk, but the lack of head retention and presence of any lacing bothers me.

In the nose it's caramelish and sugary with a hint of spice that I'm guessing is cinnamon given that it's made with graham crackers, and I'm guessing that's the source of my floater as well.

In the mouth it's full-bodied with a definite dextrinous side, but also gently zesty via a moderate, fine-bubbled carbonation and the acidity from the lime.

The flavor is much more impressive than either the appearance or aroma, and the lime comes through clearly with an edge of tartness that balances the sweetness and caramel maltiness. I'm finding a little bit of the graham cracker, and even some vanilla from the marshmallow - wow! Surprisingly, it finishes dry rather than sweet with residual lime and some very minor caramel lingering. For what it is, it's pretty impeccably balanced. This may be the best dessert beer I've ever tried.

My one question is why add processed foods to your beer when you could probably achieve the same result by using the ingredients that go into those foods? I can't imagine it's cheaper, but maybe it's easier - or maybe people just think it's cool, that's probably it. In the end it really doesn't matter, it's an interesting and flavorful beer, and although it might not have drinkability in terms of having one after another, the potential is there.

I accidentally ate the chunk. It was bready, so I assume it was from the graham crackers. Weird though. I think the beer could do without that little oddity.

4.05/5  rDev +19.1%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Thanks go to splax23 for a couple of these in trade.

Pours a hazy copper, with a ½ finger of smooth white foamy head. This peters down fairly quickly but swirling gets some richness back up on the edges and still manages to leave some a cascade of spotty froth on the sides of the glass. The aroma is a bit muddled smelling. I'm definitely getting some tart lime, with hops and sugary sweetness all jumbled up together into a deep earthy tang. I mean, I can pick up the different flavors but some more definition to the nose would have been welcomed.

Luckily the taste is much more defined and pretty darn spot on for the flavors that are supposed to be at work here. The fruity tartness of the lime. The creamy milky sweetness of the marshmallows. And even the sugary dough of the graham crackers. It is all so tangy and delicious, with the lime flavor in particular hanging on the lips after each sip. There is just enough earthy bitterness present as well, which helps cut some of the more possibly cloying aspects of the sweetness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, maybe a touch lighter, with an even blend of prickly creaminess and easy slickness that helps keep this lively but smooth on the palate. There is just a touch of lingering warmth present as well but it doesn't distract from the flavors in the slightest.

I was initially worried about this, after hearing some early complaints about the bottles, but was very pleased with what I got out of this. This did taste like a piece of key lime pie in a glass and was pretty representative of what I tasted on draft at the Extreme Beer Fest last February. This is one Short's experiment that worked for me.

1.66/5  rDev -51.2%

Acquired from tburkhart, courtesy of the Under 100 IV BIF so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep amber color, with a very thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains caramelized malts and an odd aroma that I can only assume comes from the combination of marshmallow, graham crackers, lactose and lime that are all listed on the label.

T: The taste starts out with sweet flavors of caramel and lime that are quickly followed by bready flavors from a hearty malt character and the added graham crackers. The lactose and marshmallow are faintly in the background. It's a unique concept but the flavors do not seem to mesh well at all. The hops presence is very faint, but I have a feeling that any more would make this beer taste even worse. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Not very smooth and a little crisp, medium body, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Flavorful but not tasty at all, does not go down easily, not too filling, mild kick, original representation of style, not a beer that I would recommend.

2.85/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Bruery tulip. It poured a murky orange amber color with a very thin white dusting for a head.

The aroma is actually pretty light for all the flavors going on in in the taste. It has a sweetness to it with a bit of the lime citrus showing through. I get a bit of a tart, fruity flavor to it as well. I think I get a bit of the graham cracker, but I definitely wouldn't pick it out if I didn't know it was there.

Strangely enough it actually does taste a lot like a key lime pie. Throughout the flavor I get the lime citrus and the sweet & sugary marshmallow. The graham cracker shows through right up front and then it really makes a comeback lingering after the finish. I get a bit of bitterness to it at times though that doesn't seem to fit that well. It feels like a beer that just needs to be extremely sweet, and for the most part it is. I think they hit their target flavor pretty well, however it really just isn't that great of a flavor for beer.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being above average. Drinkability isn't good, it really did taste like key lime pie but that flavor for me just wasn't good in liquid beer form. It was tough to get through half the bottle that I poured for myself. Cool concept, but just not a very good beer overall. really like the creative side to this one though.

2.55/5  rDev -25%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Was really looking forward to trying this beer.

Pours an amber color, with a fizzy head. Right away got a sense of carbonation. Smells of lime and gramcrackers. Taste was similar although I felt like I could actually taste pieces of gramcrackers. I also got some slight sourness to it. Definitely hits the main areas of key lime pie and is interesting for sure.

Was glad to try this one, but won't be looking for it in the future. Really appreciate the way Short's pushes the creativity.

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%

so i decided last night to break out 10, thats right 10 new shorts beers for a nice sampling with the family. turns out my and my brother in law were the only ones willing to go down this road, so long afternoon for sure. serve cold and consumed on 10/02/2010.

the pour was not at all what i expected, a light brownish amber with a smooth cap of white that stuck on the top for a good few minutes before settling down with a light lacing.

aroma was odd to say the least. tones of lime, graham crackers and buttery malts, but it seemed just too much for me. the limes were by far overly dominant and it did not seem to come together for me the way i would have liked. as i take the first sip i am not overly happy here at all. very big lime juice, lightly sweet lactose and a hint of cream, but it did not pull together the way some of the others have for me. it just seemed there was too much in the lime and it distracted from the overall balance. light finish with you guessed it, way too much lime in it led to an astringent taste.

overall no way i could do this again, but others here seemed to enjoy so to each his own.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I tried this from the bottle chilled in a willybecker.
The color is scarlet with translucent clarity and a head appears and disappears in a brief moment with a floating particle (marshmallow)left floating. The smell is lightly fruity with a lime scent. The feel is moderately tangy with a mostly dry texture with moderately low carbonation and slight alcohol with moderate acidity in the feel with mild bitterness.

The taste is pretty decent after you get past the lackluster appearance aroma and mouthfeel. The taste has a pleasant citrus flavor of lime up front with mild malt with slight toasted accent and gentle hop flavor with a mild woody quality but the graham cracker and marshmallow is not really represented -except for the floater that I tasted. I would say this is a good beer if you try it blind, but could use some tweaking ...the lime flavor is good and I would say it is worth a try.

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

Thanks to MustardKrautFan (RIP) for this beer. Consumed on a dark and stormy day--the perfect weather for beer that is supposed to taste like food.

A: The pour is a light amber color with almost no head. There's a bit of an opaqueness to the beer.

S: The nose is a bit confusing. On the one hand, that could be lactobacillus there, but it could also be the limes providing that tart fruitiness. There's a bit of a funkiness which leads me to believe there's some bugs. A very mild sweetness to the beer at times.

T: Lime zest really stands out on the palate as I take the first few sips. Again, a slight tinge of lactobacillus, but it could just be the funky nature of this Short's beer. A mild graham cracker sweetness and hints of sugar to go along with the tartness.

M: The body is medium but the carbonation is on the low side.

D: Hmmm, I'm still scratching my head on this one. There were some things I liked about it, but things I didn't. A bit like limeade, truth be told, with a bit more sweetness.

2.96/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary tulip.

a - Pours a hazy orange-amber color with one inch of off white head and high carbonation evident. Big thanks to deadeye for hooking me up with some Short's beers; thanks Charlie!

s - Smells very sour and of lactic. Also smells of bready malts, caramel malts, and lime. At first I was getting the bready malts/graham cracker, which I enjoyed, but the more I smelled it and drank it, the more the lime came out, as well as the lactic. Interesting.

t - The taste is dominated my lime, and then give way to a lactic taste yet again. Hints of the graham crackers/bready malts, and fruity malts come through as well.

m - Light to medium body anf high carbonation. Pretty smooth and creamy and would rate this higher if not for the high carbonation that hurts it a bit.

d - Overall I wasn't a big fan of this one. The smell and taste are dominated by lactic and tart lime, and the sourness just didn't do it for me. I'm glad I got to try it, but wouldn't seek it out again. I'm hoping the other Short's beers I got are better than this.

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a tumbler.

Thanks to dug for this bottle!

I've never really had key lime pie before, so hopefully the beer version is kind to me. It pours a cloudy tawn' topped by a short-lived bit o' dirty white foam that doesn't quite rise to half a finger. The nose comprises graham crackers, toasted marshmallow, sour lime, caramel, and a sort of light brett character. Judging from the nose, I'd say the label does not advertise falsely. The taste is very similar, though the bretty bit is toned down significantly, there's decidedly more graham cracker, and the lime comes across a little fake. Moreover, everything kinda comes in and out cacophonously, like a scene out of a Boccioni painting. The body is a medium light, with a moderate carbonation and a somewhat dry finish. Overall, this was definitely an interesting beer. Though I don't think it turned out quite as well as I'd hoped, I like the inventiveness.

4.38/5  rDev +28.8%

When it was announced that Short's Brewing was going to be getting distro into PA, my heart went pitty-pat! I have known these guys since the early part of the century when they were coming to the BeerAdvocate fests at the Cyclorama. I have embroidered cloth patches from them & sport them proudly on my vests & jackets. We did not get everything from them, initially, but as time has passed, so has the depth and breadth of what they are sending us increased. Accordingly, I am trying to keep up with their releases.

From the bottle: "Beer brewed with marshmallow and lactose with lime and graham crackers added".

One of the limes on the label puts me in mind of Haystack Rock in Pacific City, OR! That is the home of Pelican Brewery & well worth a visit.

Once more, I was forced to Pop! the cap before anything else could occur. So be it! I followed that up with a gentle pour since I am going to the movies Short'sly & I did not need a mess to hamper my plans. A vigorous in-glass swirl generated two-plus fingers of foamy, soapy, tawny head with modest retention. Color was Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity. Nose held a mild lime tartness, but I could not identify any of the other adjuncts. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was truly up to billing! I have not eaten Key Lime Pie in years, but this mimicked it perfectly! I had to laugh at the audacity and the mastery to pull it off. The tart lime was prevalent, but the sweetness of the marshmallow (unidentifiable) and graham crackers (easily identified) was running a close second. Finish was semi-sweet/sweetart and it struck me as more of a novelty than something that I would want consistently, as opposed to Strawberry Short's Cake. It also might make for an interesting blend with some of their other far-out beers. Good on ya, lads!

2.48/5  rDev -27.1%

Bottle received from Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

The appearance of the beer is still and orange, with a small head that leaves no lacing. The aroma is very odd. Unlike Strawberry Short's Cake (which I thought was great), this beer seemingly has no relevance or connection to key lime pie. The flavor has subtle hints of lime juice, but for the most part, the flavor is just weird and off-putting. The body is thin, with very low carbonation. I appreciate pushing the limits of brewing and creativity, but ultimately this beer is not drinkable or enjoyable.

2.59/5  rDev -23.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. The second of the crazy Short's beers I received from my MI hookup, Marc.

Appearance - I feared another overflow after having had the Strawberry Short's Cake yesterday. This one frothed quickly and violently, but never made it over the edge because the bubbles just vanished. What remained was a dark orange, murky beer with chunks of... I don't know what. I literally spooned off 4 or 5 large pieces of something gross. This is why these beers scare me.

Smell - I don't get a lot of lime out of the nose. I get peanuts again, inexplicably, and some sweetness that could be from the marshmallows (exactly what the hell are marshmallows doing in beer, anyway?).

Taste - Wow, the taste delivers the lime. The lime builds throughout the drink, culminating in a tart lime juice finish. Maybe I'm spoiled down here in Florida by delicious Key Lime Pie, but I think this misses the mark. It tastes like Rose's Sweetened Lime Juice more than key limes. The front end of the flavor is a mixture of slight sweetness and breadiness (graham crackers?).

Mouthfeel - Decently carbonated, despite its appearance. The flavors themselves detract from the drink, but the mouthfeel is ok. Drinkable, if it didn't taste this bad, I suppose.

Overall - I really don't like this. Innovative, sure, but definitely missing the mark.

Key Lime Pie from Short's Brewing Company