Key Lime Pie | Short's Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by jrallen34 on 02-21-2010

3.4

3.46/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.31/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.19/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.26/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.96/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Short's Brewing Company "Key Lime Pie"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, coded "08/01/16" and sampled on 10/07/16

Continuing my explorations into Short's Brews we have "Key Lime Pie", notably made with marshmallow, lime, and graham crackers.

The appearance is a little unusual, delivering a hazy deep-amber/copper body with foggy orange and gold highlights beneath a short head of white that drops almost immediately - and with a chunk of something floating around on top. At first I thought "This couldn't have come from the bottle, how could it get through the filler?", and yet there it is. Then I thought it must have been me, but I'd just rinsed the glass prior, and although my eyesight might be headed in a downward direction, I could not have missed such a chunk. I can live without the clarity, not a problem, and I don't mind the chunk, but the lack of head retention and presence of any lacing bothers me.

In the nose it's caramelish and sugary with a hint of spice that I'm guessing is cinnamon given that it's made with graham crackers, and I'm guessing that's the source of my floater as well.

In the mouth it's full-bodied with a definite dextrinous side, but also gently zesty via a moderate, fine-bubbled carbonation and the acidity from the lime.

The flavor is much more impressive than either the appearance or aroma, and the lime comes through clearly with an edge of tartness that balances the sweetness and caramel maltiness. I'm finding a little bit of the graham cracker, and even some vanilla from the marshmallow - wow! Surprisingly, it finishes dry rather than sweet with residual lime and some very minor caramel lingering. For what it is, it's pretty impeccably balanced. This may be the best dessert beer I've ever tried.

My one question is why add processed foods to your beer when you could probably achieve the same result by using the ingredients that go into those foods? I can't imagine it's cheaper, but maybe it's easier - or maybe people just think it's cool, that's probably it. In the end it really doesn't matter, it's an interesting and flavorful beer, and although it might not have drinkability in terms of having one after another, the potential is there.

I accidentally ate the chunk. It was bready, so I assume it was from the graham crackers. Weird though. I think the beer could do without that little oddity.

2.9/5  rDev -14.7%

2.55/5  rDev -25%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.69/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2.8/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

3.49/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.41/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.85/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.22/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Looks a lot darker with its translucent and dark orangey or burnt sienna color, then what I imagined it would look like before I poured it, as the suggestion of lime made me think of something much lighter. Virtually no head to speak of, in fact, not even any meaningful fizz remained around the edges a few minutes after the pour.

The nose does impart some lime to be certain, but also has biscuity qualities as well as a touch of corny sweetness.

Tastes immediately tart with a definite lime kick that fades off moments before a full dose of crackery maltiness creeps in for a moment , leaving behind a bitterness that can't really explain and the now realized, artificial-ness of the lime as an aftertaste.

I can appreciate the effort, but it's not "up there" on my list of things I like and would have again.

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.48/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

12oz bottle. Served in a snifter glass.

Pours a medium golden-brown body, one finger white head, fair retention, no lacing. There seemed to be several small particles floating in my glass as well; seemed to be either yeast clumps or graham crackers- really not sure. Smell is of graham cracker, lactose, distinct lime and a moderate caramel sweetness. It isn't really what I expected a key lime pie beer to smell like, and the sweetness is a little overwhelming. Still, seems appropriate for a dessert beer. Flavour is similar to the nose; sweet caramel, lactose, graham cracker, moderate lime presence that isn't domineering. Again, doesn't taste like key lime pie, but it does go down that road even if it doesn't nail it. Mouthfeel is lighter bodied despite its syrupy sweetness, a bit tough to drink an entire 12oz bottle on my own. I love key lime pie and this is a good attempt at making a beer in its vein, but it doesn't quite get there.

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

3.71/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.87/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Key Lime Pie from Short's Brewing Company