Key Lime Pie | Short's Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by jrallen34 on 02-21-2010

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

I traded for a six pack of this because my wife loved it at EBF one year. Review from notes sampled spring 2011.
Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a bone white head that has great retention. Smells of lime, bread, caramel, and tartness. The flavor is tart with the lime dominating the taste. Bready malts and a hint of caramel round out the flavor. Medium to light body with a more than spirited level of carbonation and a tart sugary mouthfeel. I tried this at EBF and thought it was so much better than this bottled version! I swear I could taste meringue when I first tried this, but this bottled version lacks the wow factor of our initial taste of this beer. I'm not sure how fresh these bottles were.

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%

Thanks TheSevenDuffs!

Appearance. Pours a cloudy deep gold-amber with 2+ fingers of sticky, bubbly, pale yellow head.

Smell. Sweet graham crackers while I was pouring, but not as much from the glass. Some tart citrus and light grains.

Taste. Tart and sweet limes, some caramel and toast. This isn't bad at all.

Mouthfeel. Medium+ body, medium-strong carbonation.

Overall. What can I say, they made a beer taste like key lime pie. Actually tasted just fine ...as long as you're expecting it to taste like key lime pie anyways.

4.5/5  rDev +30.8%

2.25/5  rDev -34.6%

Appearance: It has semi-cloudy orange/amber color to it. It has a thick extremely bubbly off-white head that dies down quite fast and leaves minimal lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitly give out hints of lime, lactose, bready notes and vinegar.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a very straight forward sweetness and sourness from the lime and lactose along with some bready notes from the graham cracker and that off putting vinegar taste.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with a decent overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with ok flavors and aromas. This one is definitely not for me, I don't even think i'll be able to finish the bottle and that's rare!

1.5/5  rDev -56.4%

3.75/5  rDev +9%

2.55/5  rDev -25.9%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Was really looking forward to trying this beer.

Pours an amber color, with a fizzy head. Right away got a sense of carbonation. Smells of lime and gramcrackers. Taste was similar although I felt like I could actually taste pieces of gramcrackers. I also got some slight sourness to it. Definitely hits the main areas of key lime pie and is interesting for sure.

Was glad to try this one, but won't be looking for it in the future. Really appreciate the way Short's pushes the creativity.

1.5/5  rDev -56.4%

3.47/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle into snifter. No date.
Special thanks to TheSevenDuffs for this one.

A- Pours a hazy burnt orange with a couple white chunks floating around. Finger width white head that vanishes in seconds.

S- Okay how to describe this... I'm getting limes, and marshmallow, I can get the graham cracker but it's more in a generic "sweet cookie" smell than anything else. I sense something resembling soy sauce or something "off"... It's more obvious after every swirl.

T- Okie dokie, this is odd. Right up front you get the tang from the limes, followed by that "off taste" which I'm assuming is the lactose. I can taste the graham cracker and the little chunks taste like marshmallow. It literally is key lime pie. You have to close your eyes and think about it but the essence is there and it mostly works.

M- Light to medium bodied, light on the carbonation. Cheek tingling from the limes and slightly chewy.

O- This is really something else, it's odd and original, sweet and sour and just an overall strange experience... I can't imagine buying a whole case but I would definitely try again.

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

2.8/5  rDev -18.6%

Short's Brewing Co.
Key Lime Pie
No bottle date, but I've had since November
DFH signature glass

A: Light amber/orange color. Initially it was was very eferesant but the head faded quickly. No lacing or alcohol feet. Some weird white bits in the beer too.

S: All breadiness really. Maybe some graham cracker stuff going on. Some sweetness from the lactose.

T: I'll be honest, this is old and I owe it another review. But it's really strange, like all the Short's beers that I have had. Sweet and malty. No bitterness. Maltose sugars sweetness. Strange close.

M: Medium because of the coating

1.43/5  rDev -58.4%

Received as an extra from Jeremiah. Even though I didn't like this beer, I am EXTREMELY grateful for the opportunity to have tried it. Sampled 9/14/11. 12oz bottle to pint glass. No ABV or batch number indicated.

A: Pours with a large light brown head, fizzy and soapy in texture, and rapidly diminishing. The body is medium brownish-orange and very murky with decent-sized white flecks of adjunct floating on top. An endless supply of bubbles race ferociously to the surface. No chance of lacing.

S: The label warns: "Beer brewed with marshmallow & lactose with lime & graham crackers added." Well, most of those ingredients were evident but I've had more marshmallow-forward beers that didn't actually include them in the brewing process. Toasted cereal (think Grapenuts) and the faintest hint of chocolate. Lime-y hops. A little must. This is all very odd. I swirled the glass to bring out more aroma and kill off some of the extra effervescence - but all I effectively did was arouse more chunks of sediment.

T: Stale graham cracker, sour milk and Chinese food. I get the key lime pie flavor to a degree, but I fear it is more from the power of suggestion than anything else. Long lasting flavor (is unwanted and) leans toward the sweet side. Unexpectedly acidic. My stomach is starting to turn lol.

M: The body is light and thin with a mineral-like texture. Carbonation is way too high.

O: Gotta love Shorts - and their risky brewing endeavors! This didn't work though. Perhaps fresh on tap from the source is another story...

Despite my poor review, again, I'm very happy to have tried this beer.

2.02/5  rDev -41.3%

Not much to look at. Kind of a murky dark fold color. Head recedes very quickly. Floaty crap on top of the liquid...graham crackers?

Weird lime aroma.

Peppers?? This weird taste, hard to describe. For whatever reason I get a lot of lime and peppers in this. Not desirable.

Over carbonated, medium mouthfeel.

Worth a try? No. Don't know what Shorts was going for but I'm sure its not this. Thanks TATURBO, I think.

4.5/5  rDev +30.8%

2.73/5  rDev -20.6%

12oz Bottle - received in a trade with pushkinwow

Appearance - Copper colour with a large size fizzy off-white coloured head. There is a high amount of carbonation and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for only 2 minutes before it was gone. There is also some little white chunks floating around.

Smell - Lime, vinegar, graham cracker, malts

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste lime, vinegar, and a rustiness. There are also notes of graham cracker and a bit of funk. It ends with a tart lime aftertaste.

Overall - Can't say I've ever had a beer quite like this. It's got a very interesting appearance and an even more interesting taste. Kudos to Shorts for pushing the envelope, but this isn't the type of beer for me. Still worth a try just to see what is possible in the world of brewing.

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%